WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Robot Vacuums: Virtual Housekeepers

You walk in the room, and your housekeeper jumps up from the couch. Do you think a robot would do that? No way! A robot does what it's programmed to do: clean and clean and clean. Grab one and say good bye to… well, you never really see your housekeeper anyway, since you're always at work, but you get what we're saying here, right?

flashburn02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flashburn02

I don't know which one to buy. I've decided to take the robot-plunge but I'm not sure what will be best for me. I have a cat that doesn't shed a whole lot. So should I get a regular suction unit or the pet unit?

Also, does anyone with experience recommend the 3 year service plan? I would assume batteries probably only last a year so the service plan me pay off?

Mowar!

snackpants

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snackpants

I own a XV-11 and XV-12, one for our carpeted upstairs and one for the hard floored downstairs. Previously I owned a Roomba 500 series and bought a Dyson DC-33 for 'pick up work'.

The Neato units have constantly operated way above our expectations in both the hard floors and carpet. I recently purchased the allergy/pet upgrade for the XV-11, and have been just as impressed. When we first ran the XV-11, we used the DC-33 behind it, to see what was left... and to our surprise very little was picked up by the DC-33. The XV-11 does the job I would expect the 'upright' to do.

The XV-11 handles about 600 sqft upstairs with the XV-12 handling the 800 sqft on the downstairs section.

-JSP

alecialene

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alecialene

So my husband and I would really like one of these, but I have a cat that tends to barf regularly. I worry that this would end up being a huge mess. We have laminate floors that we would use it on...

Seriously - has anyone dealt with this situation that can say one way or the other?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

alecialene wrote:So my husband and I would really like one of these, but I have a cat that tends to barf regularly. I worry that this would end up being a huge mess. We have laminate floors that we would use it on...

Seriously - has anyone dealt with this situation that can say one way or the other?

I would suggest that you be home when it's running.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

qkp000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qkp000

Finally pulled the trigger on getting another robot vacuum. I had a Roomba about 10 years ago and it ran for a few months then would no longer recharge. It didn't do such a great job that I wanted to mess with fixing it. Here is a review on the Neato XV-21
http://robot-vacuum-review.toptenreviews.com/neato-xv-21-review.html

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle
flashburn02 wrote:...I would assume batteries probably only last a year so the service plan me pay off?

The batteries in mine only lasted about four months before my neato started acting squirrel-y. Apparently when it starts refusing to return to its' base for recharging and easily gets lost, the batteries need to be replaced. I still need to call neato about this, but evidently replacement batteries from them cost $80 with an additional $17 for shipping... (look on ebay for neato brand batters for less than $70 including shipping)

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

hobbitus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hobbitus
alecialene wrote:So my husband and I would really like one of these, but I have a cat that tends to barf regularly. I worry that this would end up being a huge mess. We have laminate floors that we would use it on...

I love my Neatos....they don't like liquid though...ant spray, water...doubt they would like barf!

jpf3505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpf3505

How large of an area can I expect the Neato to cover? Just purchased a home with about 1600 sq ft downstairs. Would a neato cover the whole area?

cjrlmpls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjrlmpls

I saw you offered a 3 year warranty - and I was going to get it - but I can't find it now to add to the order I just placed - where do I find it and how do I add it to my order???

brian53newell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian53newell
flashburn02 wrote:I don't know which one to buy. I've decided to take the robot-plunge but I'm not sure what will be best for me. I have a cat that doesn't shed a whole lot. So should I get a regular suction unit or the pet unit?

Also, does anyone with experience recommend the 3 year service plan? I would assume batteries probably only last a year so the service plan me pay off?

I own the Neato XV-21 Pet and Allergy Robot Vacuum and it is amazing. It seems to get smarter as it learns my apartment.

With that being said, you need to do some work to get Neato in a position to succeed. He will go under your couch and get stuck if there is enough clearance. He will run out the front door / back door if you leave it open. (yes this has happened to me, and yes my porch was cleaned well)

I am amazed by how well he picks up my dog's hair. I notice a difference in the appearance of the carpet when he hasn't cleaned for a few weeks.

A few notable issues, if the Neato becomes disconnected from the charging base for long enough to die, you need to reset its clock, or else it won't clean on the schedule you set.

Sometimes neato spends 3 hours cleaning and i wanna yell at him cause he has ADD and wont stop cleaning.

Sometimes he thinks his charging base is a few feet away from where he is trying to dock, and he ends up throwing an error message like 'unable to locate charging base'

The magnetic strips certainly work, but i've heard rumors you need to purchase their 30$ version as a standard magnet is not strong enough.

There is a good amount of shuffling of furnature that need to be done if you want him to clean fast and efficiently. I put my chairs on top of my kitchen table so he can breeze through and get the job done.

I block the couch with a ottoman, so he doesn't go under there.

I need to pick up my dog's toys and cotton stuffing, while Neato can handle the stuffing, after a while you'll spend an hour picking it out of his brush.

My 1 Neato can 3 bedrooms, livingroom, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen if he's on a roll.

My 1 Neato can also get stuck 5 minutes into cleaning cause he backs up onto a chair and then wedges himself inbetween the legs trying to get unstuck.

overall, its my favorite woot purchase, but i do spend effort to clean so Neato can clean.

ironchief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ironchief

Just wondering why woot has the list price at $600 when the Neato site offers the X-21 model at $400 and change.

ironchief

I still bought one. A $100+ price drop is lovely enough. Just seems like the savings is heavily padded to entice us to buy.

kpatterson67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpatterson67

The irony of this product is I sort of want to buy it for the sole purpose of freaking out my dogs.

Not really, I'm not that mean.

Okay maybe just a little.

mrichm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrichm
cjrlmpls wrote:I saw you offered a 3 year warranty - and I was going to get it - but I can't find it now to add to the order I just placed - where do I find it and how do I add it to my order???

Just contact Woot support.

Wooters wooting wootfully wootlessly, woot.

joemacangel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joemacangel

Hmmm... Very tempting, and but I just moved to Belgium, military stuff. They don't ship to APO on this, but there are other ways to get it here, but no worries.

My big question is... Are they 220? Or 100-240?

jhuger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhuger
jpf3505 wrote:How large of an area can I expect the Neato to cover? Just purchased a home with about 1600 sq ft downstairs. Would a neato cover the whole area?

It covers our 600 sq ft on about half a charge, so it might not get your 1600 feet in one go. However, Neatos are pretty smart. If it can't finish, it will remember where it left off and finish up after it recharges.

smtalley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smtalley
kpatterson67 wrote:The irony of this product is I sort of want to buy it for the sole purpose of freaking out my dogs.

Not really, I'm not that mean.

Okay maybe just a little.

surprisingly my dog who is absolutely terrified of my vacuum and alternates between cowering in fear and attempting to eat it could care less about my Neato

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey
jhuger wrote:It covers our 600 sq ft on about half a charge, so it might not get your 1600 feet in one go. However, Neatos are pretty smart. If it can't finish, it will remember where it left off and finish up after it recharges.

We have a fairly large old 2-story house, and we have our robo-vacuum (currently a Roomba 560, but we followed the same routine with the Neato XV-11 before it, and a different Roomba 560 before it) clean 1 room at a time. We normally do the kitchen, dining room and downstairs bathroom on Fridays, the living room on Saturdays, and the upstairs bedroom on Sundays. We've never programmed that routine into our robo-vacuums, though; we just define the area we want the Roomba to clean each time.
Strongly recommend getting the longest warranty one can on these, though. We bought the Neato off Amazon with just the 1-year manufacturer's warranty - and it died 2 months after that warranty expired. The local Best Buy had Roombas but not Neatos, so that's why we're back to a Roomba now (with the extended warranty!).
Warranties being equal, though, I liked the Neato better - easier to clean between bouts of vacuuming. ;)

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

Are these like Roombas where they will stop if they detect stairs, or will it simply tumble to its death? I'm considering this for a second floor level and know at some point it will need to make the decision of jump or stop. I'm hoping it will stop...

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
flashburn02 wrote:I don't know which one to buy. I've decided to take the robot-plunge but I'm not sure what will be best for me. I have a cat that doesn't shed a whole lot. So should I get a regular suction unit or the pet unit?

Your logic make sense, unfortunately square trade does not cover batteries in appliances unless it cannot be removed by a consumer. Since you can buy batteries through the company or online, I'm imagining they aren't covered. I've used square trade in the past for other devices, but luckily haven't had to make a claim yet.

If you do buy the extended warranty, search for a promo code. The price listed on woot is the full warranty price.

buytick

quality posts: 4 Private Messages buytick

If you are considering the extended warranty, remember that if you charge with American Express they double this warranty to 2 years for free, if you use the card.

fruitopia3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fruitopia3

I got the Neato XV-21 the last time it was here on Woot and I have to say I LOVE IT! I have certainly not regretted it. I have 3 chinchillas whose poop, dust bath, and fur get all over the room they are kept in and this thing picks up all if it like a pro. Even in the other rooms, I am shocked at how much of MY hair it picks up. I was originally concerned because there is a small ledge between my room, but Neato figured out how to get over it without a problem. I just do a quick run around when I get home and pick up any clothes, etc from the night before and then start him up and my floor always looks clean! He even gets under my bed where I have never vacuumed. If you are on the fence about this little guy, don't be. He does have to charge once before he is done, but he finds his own way back to base, charges, and then heads back out. I just turn the TV up a little so I can hear it, sit back, relax, and watch my floor get clean!

fruitopia3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fruitopia3
kazper wrote:Are these like Roombas where they will stop if they detect stairs, or will it simply tumble to its death? I'm considering this for a second floor level and know at some point it will need to make the decision of jump or stop. I'm hoping it will stop...

It is supposed to stop although I haven't tested this. It comes with a magnetic strip that you can put in front of the stairs just to be safe.

wrfoard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrfoard
kazper wrote:Are these like Roombas where they will stop if they detect stairs, or will it simply tumble to its death? I'm considering this for a second floor level and know at some point it will need to make the decision of jump or stop. I'm hoping it will stop...

It will stop. I used a XV-12 on the top floor of my townhouse with no problems.

bas5x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bas5x

I have hardwood floors downstairs with some oriental rugs. I'm considering purchasing this, but I need to know if it will chew up the fringe on the rugs. I have to be careful with my Dyson. Anyone have any experience?

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

So what’s the difference between the pet/allergy and the all floor? I have wood floors, carpet, marble, and linoleum... oh and a beagle and gf with allergies. So I'm not entirely sure what I need.

(If you're wondering, we're renovating a house where they carpeted over the hardwood, hence the assortment of flooring materials)

NurseyC2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NurseyC2

I received my robot yesterday and charged it up to use. The first time around my downstairs it ran for about 90 minutes and when it went back to it's base to recharge I went to empty the basket. I was shocked! The amount of dog hair in the basket was amazing, it was packed full and I didnt even see the dog hair on the rug before it started. After it recharged it went right back to where it stopped and continued, when it was finished the second time the basket was half way filled. So far this is working past my expectations and I hope it continues to do so.

tagbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tagbiker
johnt007871 wrote:So what’s the difference between the pet/allergy and the all floor?

I believe the pet/allergy model or upgrade gets you a different brush and filter so it takes up more dirt and allergens and doesnt release as much into the exhaust. We have the pet one, replaced our roomba with it. I like that the neato is an actual vacuum and does a better job picking up dirt and fine particles than the roomba which only uses a brush. it is a bit louder tho. When it returns to base, its fun to watch, it doesnt always take the shortest route.

thira1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thira1

Love my SCOOBA that I bought from WOOT about 4-5 years back. The SCOOBA recently exhausted after years of regular use: time for a new one. It works very well on my tile & wooden floors: have one house cat. The key is to not rely on it to clean heavily soiled floors. Vaccuum the floors, briefly before placing the unit in use, to pickup any chunks. I never cease to be amazed at how much it picks up and cleans. Even picks up residual water and dries area! It is important to clean out the filters, roller brush and floor squeegee with each refill: the little guy stays happy- the manual is spot on. Rinse out the unit after use. I have called tech support several times over the years and they are awesome to work with.
I use filtered RO water, with vinegar, so that nothing clogs up and I get good cleaning.

johnt007871

tagbiker wrote:I believe the pet/allergy model or upgrade gets you a different brush and filter so it takes up more dirt and allergens and doesnt release as much into the exhaust. We have the pet one, replaced our roomba with it.

Does yours do carpet only or hardwood also?

ibbijigety

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibbijigety

Does anyone know how these compare to the mint?

saltlakecityty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages saltlakecityty

I've never tried the iRobot Scooba, but do own a Mint Plus for our hardwood floors. I was a bit skeptical before purchasing, but I now tell everyone it's been one of the best purchases I've made for the house. Our entire first floor is covered with piano finish hardwood floors and they show EVERYTHING. I just drop the navigation cube in the middle of the room, fill the reservoir with a 60/40 mix of water and white vinegar and let it do its thing. I highly recommend these little robot workers; they've made our floor cleaning much less of a hassle plus I love to watch my dog get freaked out by it. I think I'll splurge for a Neato in the future for our carpets when the Dyson dies.

joemacangel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joemacangel
NurseyC2 wrote:I received my robot yesterday and charged it up to use.

Hey there, can you check the charger/AC Adapter to see if it says 100-240? Thanks much!

rmirasol

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rmirasol

after passing up a lot of robot vacuums offers, I finally talked my wife into letting us get a Neato XV-12 from Woot a little over a year ago. I highly recommend getting one (or two!)

the good:

* it picks up a lot more stuff than you'd expect - when it's done and you empty out the bin, you'll be surprised.

* we used to vacuum with our upright at least once a week. now it's once a month, or even less.

* cleanup is easy - you pop out the bin, pop off the filter, and dump the contents. no tools needed.

* maintenance is easy - it's one panel to open to access and remove the roller to remove stuff that gets wrapped up on it, like little pieces of string. no tools are required to do this. I also have not had to change filters - maybe once a quarter I clean the filter using a Metro DataVac.

what could be better:

* does not like rugs with fringes - gets tangled on them. I tuck the fringes underneath before running it.

* have to block tight spaces under furniture or it'll get stuck. for us that means putting some throw pillows under the bed.

* it can venture into tight corners and get stuck. we have one corner with a rocking chair that we just turn so it blocks the tight corner.

* after a year of regular use, I'd estimate battery capacity is about 90% of what it was when we got it.

* my wife has started referring to it as a "he" and uses "Neato" like it's his name. "Neato did a great job today!"

ironchief

Got mine a couple hours ago. Scared the bejesus out of my cat (Spartacus). Got cut in the face while trying to comfort him. lol. Otherwise, Neato did its thing admirably. It looks like the Ebon Hawk from KotOR.

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

what's the life expectancy on these robots?

kara1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kara1
buytick wrote:If you are considering the extended warranty, remember that if you charge with American Express they double this warranty to 2 years for free, if you use the card.

Does that require a coupon code? Standard Woot policy? I used an AMEX, but haven't seen any mention of a warranty.

SquareDeal is a separate purchase altogether. The Square Deal eligible link takes you to another page.

johnt007871

So for mostly hardwood floors, would a mint plus be better or the all floors neato?

I get the idea that the mint just kind of does 1 room at a time and you have to move the cube around and charge it to do others.

The neato gives the impression it can just clean until it runs out of floor to clean.

Antennapedia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Antennapedia
kara1 wrote:Does that require a coupon code? Standard Woot policy? I used an AMEX, but haven't seen any mention of a warranty.

SquareDeal is a separate purchase altogether. The Square Deal eligible link takes you to another page.

That is a standard AmEx thing, it's in the fine print of your credit declarations and also includes product replacement if it's broken or stolen within a certain amount of time. Be aware, though, usually the ENTIRETY of the balance of the thing needs to be on the AmEx. This is a thing I found out the hard way when I broke a brand new Kindle.