wootyougot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootyougot
sdc100 wrote:It's a bargain compared to this watch I found on Amazon (which links to an outside vendor, Ashford). Yep, it's ON SALE for $166,320. That's 37% off its retail price of $264,000. And shipping is FREE. Yippee. Better grab it before the Internet sales tax becomes law. At 8% sales tax, that's an additional $13305.60!

Is this watch the sequel to The Golden Compass?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
ekarlw wrote:"it is a near-universal sign of class and elegance."

My Casio and extra ~$6K are wondering about "intelligence"...

But doesn't that depend on percentage? There are people in this world who spend less of their income on a six-thousand dollar watch than some might on one of sixty.

In any case, I'd rather someone who can afford it do so than not; and I'm sure the people working for Breitling do, too. And for that matter, those working for Woot!, the parcel services, those of us who buy twenty-dollar items purchased with revenue from the sale of such watches, and so on.

Intellect is not always the source of wealth--I'd attribute it most often to wisdom--but it certainly can be. I shouldn't call someone foolish for how they spend money acquired intelligently, at any rate. Indeed, so long as there are more expensive watches out there, I might even call them shrewd for settling on a six-thousand dollar watch and investing the rest.

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72
vladistov wrote:Ah, I remember the days when Woot! first got started, selling merchandise that fell off the back of the cart. A left-shoe, a dirty head of cabbage; but at a bargain. Back then, the only staff was Mr. Woot's pet monkey, collecting payment in a tin cup.

Actually, I don't think I remember any of that. I may be going senile, and probably ought have paid full price for those SIGG water bottles I've been drinking out of. But the point is, Woot! is selling watches for six-thousand dollars. That just kicks onager.

I remember those days. When they were selling boxes of used ps2 keyboards. With the disclaimer that some of the key boards might be missing keys. So, you congradulations you are sane.

eons993

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eons993

The fact that these are being sold on Woot reduces the prestige of Breitling to pointlessness. You don't buy it because it's a great watch--that's what Omegas are for. Breitlings are a "look how rich I am" watch. Now that's no longer true.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

eons993 wrote:The fact that these are being sold on Woot reduces the prestige of Breitling to pointlessness. You don't buy it because it's a great watch--that's what Omegas are for. Breitlings are a "look how rich I am" watch. Now that's no longer true.

Dude, that hurts.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

adamyhua

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamyhua

how many do you have in your inventory?

conhopper

quality posts: 19 Private Messages conhopper
ThunderThighs wrote:Dude, that hurts.

It's true though. This will devalue the Breitling brand.

...and why has my question about the warranty not been answered yet? What's our recourse in the event that Breitling refuses to honor a warranty because the watch was bought from Amazon?

derp

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
sdc100 wrote:It's a bargain compared to this watch I found on Amazon (which links to an outside vendor, Ashford). Yep, it's ON SALE for $166,320. That's 37% off its retail price of $264,000. And shipping is FREE. Yippee. Better grab it before the Internet sales tax becomes law. At 8% sales tax, that's an additional $13305.60!

ha, made by the same company whose remote control relied on tiny buzzing sound to change the channel?

garretta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garretta

"... order within next 20min and get free gilded velvet baggie fully of pretentiousness."

come on woot -- about a Swatch-Off !!? would be more fun...

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
iyahfyah wrote:Breitling watches have nowhere near the resale value as some watches at a comparable price ie. Rolex. For 8k you can get a DateJust that will have a resale value up to about 5k for the next 5 years verses these watches that are already marked 50% down. Just because something is on sale doesn't automatically make it a good deal. If you are interested in buying a high end watch,
PLEASE, I implore you, consult a reputable
high end watch dealer that will give you the dirty on the world of "luxury" watches.

Going vintage is the way to go with Rolex.
I got a pristine 60's datejust last year for under 2 grand. It will only increase in value, though this particular one I'd likely never sell. It was made the year I was born.
Same with the classic models for omega, too.
Why buy a brand new speedy for 4 grand?

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

What?!

"Going vintage is the way to go with Rolex.
I got a pristine 60's date just last year for under 2 grand. It will only increase in value, though this particular one I'd likely never sell"

can you help a brother - I need to learn more, can you share a URL? even in a pm would be great. You're talking about EXACTLY what I want to do. Thanks@

michaelvella wrote:Going vintage is the way to go with Rolex.
I got a pristine 60's datejust last year for under 2 grand. It will only increase in value, though this particular one I'd likely never sell. It was made the year I was born.
Same with the classic models for omega, too.
Why buy a brand new speedy for 4 grand?

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost
hogsmog wrote:Am I the only one around here who thinks it unlikely that anyone with enough money to buy these watches would check a daily deals website which mostly involves saving $10 on plastic frogs?

And you'd be wrong. I work at a high end club and the people do check. In fact the upper management at Groupon all belong to this club.

In terms of these watches the resale isn't up to Rolex but it's not bad.

One member purchased a Chromat for $3000 used and sold it four years later for $2,200. So that's a loss of $800 or cost of $200 a year.

Rich people do check deal forums like this. I am the accountant at the club. The difference is, they LIKE deals, but if there isn't a deal, they'll just buy it anyway.

We recently had a go 'round with a woman and a $3,000 Chanel dress.

She was so cheap with it, but you'd figure, anyone who'd drop three grand on a dress to wear once to a function wouldn't be that way.

They all hate my joke when I ask them what time it is. They tell me and I look at my Timex watch and say "Gee, my $25 Timex says the same thing."

lnjelinek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnjelinek

This is such a great deal, I'm surprised they're not sold out already.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010
DennisG2010 wrote:No precious metals, no gem stones...

What makes these watches worth that kind of money?

I'm still waiting for an answer...

Are you solely paying extra money just so people know you payed extra money?
Or is there something that makes these watches better than the ordinary stainless steel watch?

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I'll only buy one if:
John Swayze straps it to an outboard and it survives.

michaelvella

DennisG2010 wrote:I'm still waiting for an answer...

Or is there something that makes these watches better than the ordinary stainless steel watch?

They cost this much because that's how much (and way more) high end Swiss mechanical watches cost. They use decent movements, have a high level of finishing on the steel and are serious hunks of metal.
Are they "worth" this much? I guess that depends on whether you like Brietling or not. I like some of their classic models like the handwind navitimer, but otherwise.. eh.
For this kind of scratch I'd buy an IWC or a Panerai.

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

The price is because of the movement. You don't buy a Ferrari because of the wheels, and you don't buy a watch because of the band. Rolex are expensive because they are a Rolex, not because of the gold and jewels. They come in stainless steel, too.

DennisG2010 wrote:I'm still waiting for an answer...

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

michaelvella

vanevenhoven wrote:What?!

"Going vintage is the way to go with Rolex.
I got a pristine 60's date just last year for under 2 grand. It will only increase in value, though this particular one I'd likely never sell"

can you help a brother - I need to learn more, can you share a URL? even in a pm would be great. You're talking about EXACTLY what I want to do. Thanks@

Start following the sales corner on TimeZone and check it regularly.
I'm shocked at how low the vintage market can be at times. There are a lot of bargains to be had.
1966 DateJust in stainless on jubilee bracelet -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelav/6882769787/in/photostream/lightbox/

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

I'm waiting for the breitling rep to answer questions on woot.

I always did like yardsales.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010
zollars23 wrote:The price is because of the movement. You don't buy a Ferrari because of the wheels, and you don't buy a watch because of the band. Rolex are expensive because they are a Rolex, not because of the gold and jewels. They come in stainless steel, too.

So you're saying the price reflects the level of performance?

My $50 Timex hasn't lost a minute (don't know about seconds) in years and years.

When you buy a Ferrari, you not only get absolutely tangible superior performance, but you also get luxury appointments; materials, fit and finish, styling, etc.

Ferrari is a bad example, because there's also prestige in the brand name, but I would argue that you get your money's worth regardless of the brand name.

I understand that there are people who pay extra for the prestige of a brand name (though not why they do), but this is a hell of a lot of money to pay just for a name...

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

those are no Philippe Patek.

davielmejor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davielmejor

Do you know why you buy a Breitling and not Rolex?

Because a Breitling will actually keep good time.

davielmejor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davielmejor
mecos wrote:those are no Philippe Patek.

And a Philippe Patek, is not a Patek Phillipe :D

michaelvella

davielmejor wrote:Do you know why you buy a Breitling and not Rolex?

Because a Breitling will actually keep good time.

Both keep excellent time for mechanical movements.
No one buys a Swiss mechanical watch for atomic clock accuracy, though..

gmen1022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmen1022

This was asked earlier but there doesnt seem to be an answer.

1. Are these brand new?
2. What is the buyers recourse if Brietling refuses to honor the warranty?

btsheehan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btsheehan

Heck, I didn't pay that for my Truck, my tablet and my Smart phone together and they ALL have clocks probably more accurate... Geesh!

btsheehan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btsheehan
wootyougot wrote:Is this watch the sequel to The Golden Compass?

Is this price in US Dollars or Zambian Kwacha?

conhopper

quality posts: 19 Private Messages conhopper
gmen1022 wrote:This was asked earlier but there doesnt seem to be an answer.

1. Are these brand new?
2. What is the buyers recourse if Brietling refuses to honor the warranty?

Yep, lets ask that second one once more.

What is a buyer's recourse in the event that Breitling decides not to honor the warranty due to the watch being purchased over the Internet?

It's worth noting that:

1. Breitling does not list either Amazon or Woot as an authorized retailer.
  2. Breitling requires the stamp of the authorized retailer and the signature of a salesperson on behalf of the authorized retailer per the warranty.

Since Amazon and Woot are not authorized retailers, a buyer is within his/her rights to ask who the authorized retailer is in this case. If Breitling refuses to do a repair, Amazon/woot would be obligated to refund the product as the product is advertised as having a Breitling warranty. If no refund is issued, a customer is within his/her rights to pursue a credit/bank dispute.

So yes, this question should be answered.

derp

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

conhopper wrote:Yep, lets ask that second one once more.

What is a buyer's recourse in the event that Breitling decides not to honor the warranty due to the watch being purchased over the Internet?

It's worth noting that:
  1. Breitling does not list either Amazon or Woot as an authorized retailer.
  2. Breitling requires the stamp of the authorized retailer and the signature of a salesperson on behalf of the authorized retailer per the warranty.

Since Amazon and Woot are not authorized retailers, a buyer is within his/her rights to ask who the authorized retailer is in this case. If Breitling refuses to do a repair, Amazon/woot would be obligated to refund the product as the product is advertised as having a Breitling warranty. If no refund is issued, a customer is within his/her rights to pursue a credit/bank dispute.

So yes, this question should be answered.

We're having a hard time getting an answer to that specific question because our supplier is out in observance of Passover. It's a two year warranty from Breitling, if for some reason Breitling refused to honor it, we would ensure that the supplier did - in its entirety.

gmen1022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmen1022
newfiepage wrote:We're having a hard time getting an answer to that specific question because our supplier is out in observance of Passover. It's a two year warranty from Breitling, if for some reason Breitling refused to honor it, we would ensure that the supplier did - in its entirety.

Are these brand new watches?

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

gmen1022 wrote:Are these brand new watches?

New. Not used.