agentfox1942

quality posts: 5 Private Messages agentfox1942

No charger? Even with the "accessory" pack? I assume it charges via USB then? But you know what happens when one assumes....

[MOD: Has AC adapter to charge.]

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

I hate to be pedantic, but Woot is not taking a "que," from a sandwich firm, they are taking a cue from them.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Cue, not que. Which is not a word. Queue is a word but not the word you want. Cue is that word.

/grammarcopguysorry

You beat me to it!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
agentfox1942 wrote:No charger? Even with the "accessory" pack? I assume it charges via USB then? But you know what happens when one assumes....

If this is NEW in Retail Box, it has an AC adapter and Sync Cable. Together these are an AC charger.

tindios

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
bowlingb wrote:Given the specs on the two, why would I chose the Samsung over a google nexus 7? Somebody help me out here.

I have no experience with this tablet, but can say that the SD card is a big issue for a lot of people. I chose the Nexus 7 with 32GB of memory (has been on sale a lot in both refurb and new versions lately) so I did not have to worry about where my apps or things were stored. (It was also the final straw in my decision between the two)

I have read on line a lot how people say you don't need more than 8 GB, but I am one of those people who only has 1.27GB left of my 32 since I tend to pack on a lot of movies and games. With the 8gb version, you have maybe 4gb left after you add the OS... So 1 movie and some games in local memory at the most?

So to really "use" this thing you'll need to add another $30 for a 32gb micro SD card to the cost. The 8GB in the accessory kit is a joke. So your real total for the 7" tab is more like $204.99 with shipping. Pretty close to what the Nexus 32gb version has been running.

Since these are only WiFi, you need to have your movies / content already on there if you want to watch them.(or ALWAYS be around an internet connection) You can't stream them like Google thinks you should on an 8GB tablet in most of the cases where I want to use this. (Sorry, I don't hang out at a coffee shop with WiFi and "chill")

Also, the Nexus 7 has a faster processor. However, that did not really affect my decision... the storage and the "pure" Android experience was the key item for me.(And THAT experience is a topic for another conversation...ugh)

agentfox1942

How do these compare to the ASUS and other tablets on woot here http://www.woot.com/plus/tablets-accessories?? I know the Samsung are new and the ASUS are refurb, but other than that.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt

For $30 more than the Tab 2 7", you can get the better specced Nexus 7. Two more cores, higher res screen, more RAM, more internal storage, and none of Samsung's hit or miss ability to provide updates.

You do lose expandable storage and the rear camera, but those are the only trade-offs.

agentfox1942

morriea wrote:If this is NEW in Retail Box, it has an AC adapter and Sync Cable. Together these are an AC charger.

Thanks. I saw they were new, but didn't see the AC adapter listed in the "comes with" section

[MOD: We've added it. Thanks.]

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
robio wrote:Can any owners comment on how tough these are? Are the backs metal or plastic? Autistic nephew needs a Tablet for some of the apps designed for such kids, and I'd like to point his folks toward something with a little more wherewithal than my Acer A100.

I agree with outer78 - If your relatives want a virtually indestructible tablet for your nephew, then buy an Otterbox for it. Both Best Buy and Amazon sell an Otterbox for the 7" Samsung Tab 2 for about $70.

teddypimp21

quality posts: 7 Private Messages teddypimp21
ShadowTech wrote:
As far as speed of the tablet, you will notice some lag in the more graphic heavy games, but they're still playable enough. Homescreen lag is noticeable, but also not bothersome. With a 10" screen, you just have to expect it on most of the tablets out there right now.

I don't actually own this tablet but I do have a Galaxy SIII. One thing to help speed up the lag on the home screen is to edit the animation scale. You can do this by going into the settings, selecting Developer Options, then changing the Window animation scale and Transition animation scale to 0.5X. This can be done to any galaxy phone I believe and it will help speed up the TouchWiz Interface.

(If the Developer Options section isn't displayed, select the About Phone option in the Settings Menu, then repeatedly click on the About Phone until it says Developer Options unlocked... should be about 7 repeated clicks. Then return to the Settings and then do the Developer Options).

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

A few [newbie] questions:

1. Is the IR Blaster worth getting? The idea of controlling my TV,cable box,etc. is a big drawing point for me getting the Samsung Galaxy.

2. How much install space does an app usually take? Are you allowed to delete programs on the tablet if you don't want them anymore?

3. What's the purpose of the splitter found in the accessory pack?

kane968

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kane968

Bought the 7" back in December, and I gotta say, I use it waaaaaay more often than I figured I would.

Good construction, VERY good screen - good sensitivity, and the Gorilla Glass is as tough a screen as I've ever come across. In four months of frequent use with long nails and frequently dirty hands, it's still as pristine as the day I got it.

Be aware, it comes with Android 4.0, and the first time you start it up, it will want to update. If you choose to do so, you will lose default Flash support, but you can still side-load it manually (there are plenty of tutorials on the procedure out there).

sirlantzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirlantzz

Are both upgradeable to 4.1 or just the 10" version?

kane968

cage017 wrote:A few [newbie] questions:

1. Is the IR Blaster worth getting? The idea of controlling my TV,cable box,etc. is a big drawing point for me getting the Samsung Galaxy.

2. How much install space does an app usually take? Are you allowed to delete programs on the tablet if you don't want them anymore?

3. What's the purpose of the splitter found in the accessory pack?

1. The Blaster's pretty cool. I use Peel Smart Remote, and I have it set up for my tv and cable box, which allows me to turn everything on and select programming with my Tab when I'm too lazy to find my remote.

2. It really depends on the app. I have several 'utility' apps that are ~20Mb, and some games that are ~100Mb. And yes, you can delete/uninstall any app you no longer want fairly easily.

3. The splitter is for sharing audio in public with a friend.

kane968

sirlantzz wrote:Are both upgradeable to 4.1 or just the 10" version?

The 7" is upgradeable. You lose default support for Flash, but can still sideload it manually.

maigemdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigemdesign
prttymf8 wrote:It does not natively have an HDMI port. But you can buy this thing: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/EPL-3PHPBEGSTA

Then you can watch movies on your TV.

The Galaxy Tab 7 I bought in November at Costco does not support replay of TV programs normally available over internet for replay. TV broadcast station ( ABC) says adobe flash player is required for replay, offers to download it. When downloading it, Tab 7 says android can downloac/install Adobe Flashplayer. I don't know what the issue is, but that is my only disappoinment with the tablet. Otherwise it is sturdy, has been dropped from chair height ( in its folio leather case with corner brackets holding it in)

maigemdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigemdesign
maigemdesign wrote:The Galaxy Tab 7 I bought in November at Costco does not support replay of TV programs normally available over internet for replay. TV broadcast station ( ABC) says adobe flash player is required for replay, offers to download it. When downloading it, Tab 7 says android can downloac/install Adobe Flashplayer. I don't know what the issue is, but that is my only disappoinment with the tablet. Otherwise it is sturdy, has been dropped from chair height ( in its folio leather case with corner brackets holding it in)

Correction it cannot downliad/install Adobe flashplayer.... sorry if I raisednyour hopes for a minute ;{

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
maigemdesign wrote:The Galaxy Tab 7 I bought in November at Costco does not support replay of TV programs normally available over internet for replay. TV broadcast station ( ABC) says adobe flash player is required for replay, offers to download it. When downloading it, Tab 7 says android can downloac/install Adobe Flashplayer. I don't know what the issue is, but that is my only disappoinment with the tablet. Otherwise it is sturdy, has been dropped from chair height ( in its folio leather case with corner brackets holding it in)

Flash is no longer supported by Adobe on mobile devices. Try downloading the Dolphin browser. I use it on my Nexus 7 and I have no problem viewing Flash content on the web.

Rock

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

We have owned one of these for a year. The one sticking point to keep in mind (besides not being allowed to put apps on the SD card, discussed already) is the cord. It is a proprietary Samsung 30-pin cord, looks like the old Apple proprietary cord, but is not the same. This cord is NOT available for purchase in almost any local store on the planet. Suggest you buy one or two spares on Amazon.

All the complaints people have about Apple's proprietary connections are completely true with this device, too. Except it's even harder to find the cord for this.

I guess one other. You pretty much want to dump all the Samsung apps first thing. Download the Google apps instead. No need to root.

biggggant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biggggant
maigemdesign wrote:Correction it cannot downliad/install Adobe flashplayer.... sorry if I raisednyour hopes for a minute ;{

FALSE
With some searching you can find the apk(install file) for flash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2139513

andyskitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyskitty
kane968 wrote:The 7" is upgradeable. You lose default support for Flash, but can still sideload it manually.

WHERE HOW!!!! LOL Upgraded and didn't realize till your post that that was why things i though I had play fine weren't playing!!

I was given the refurb that was on the woot off a month or so ago and I LOVE it. I have no problem with App space (well not once I made my self be aware or space consideration Just delete anything your some with or not going to use anymore. Don't bother with the Polaris Office that's on there all document formatting will be REALLY messed up. I got a 32gb SD card for 20 buck, it was a class 4 but have had no problems with playing videos straight off the card.

nyjae

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyjae

I bought the 7" on the 2/19/13 sale here and I love it. I primarily bought it because of the sdcard. I was planning to load up a ton of kids shows and its working great for that purpose. The form factor is perfect. Its a really good size and not cumbersome at all, unlike my iPad (which I haven't used since I got the Tab 2).

I got this adapter for it and now can load up flash drives of any size with no issues:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MAWKRI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This case is working well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00671L9A6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the sdcard that I got. No lag on video playback:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

andyskitty

Spiky wrote:We have owned one of these for a year. The one sticking point to keep in mind (besides not being allowed to put apps on the SD card, discussed already) is the cord. It is a proprietary Samsung 30-pin cord, looks like the old Apple proprietary cord, but is not the same. This cord is NOT available for purchase in almost any local store on the planet. Suggest you buy one or two spares on Amazon.

All the complaints people have about Apple's proprietary connections are completely true with this device, too. Except it's even harder to find the cord for this.

I guess one other. You pretty much want to dump all the Samsung apps first thing. Download the Google apps instead. No need to root.

Do you know how to remove things like that horrid polaris office? I can't figure out how to get it off!

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017
kane968 wrote:1. The Blaster's pretty cool. I use Peel Smart Remote, and I have it set up for my tv and cable box, which allows me to turn everything on and select programming with my Tab when I'm too lazy to find my remote.

2. It really depends on the app. I have several 'utility' apps that are ~20Mb, and some games that are ~100Mb. And yes, you can delete/uninstall any app you no longer want fairly easily.

3. The splitter is for sharing audio in public with a friend.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of waiting for a $150 price point. Is this accessory kit worth $20?

andyskitty

cage017 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of waiting for a $150 price point. Is this accessory kit worth $20?

I'd say no, you probably have half the stuff already and for $20 you can find the 32gb micro SD card

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

morriea wrote:If this is NEW in Retail Box, it has an AC adapter and Sync Cable. Together these are an AC charger.

Correct, this comes with the AC adapter.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sssprinkle wrote:Well, if you're going to play grammar police then let's play!

Based on your punctuation, your second sentence claims that the word "which" is not a word. I mean, you specifically wrote "Which is not a word". I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. If the point you were trying to make is that "Que" is not a word then I believe that the ~400 million Spanish speakers on Earth might disagree with you. "Que" might not be an English word, but it is certainly a word.

See, isn't it fun to be corrected by the grammar police? By the way, you really should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

Mod does dramatic eye roll followed by face palm.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

eq52515

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eq52515

Bought the 7" refurb during the 2/19/2013 Woot!-off. Upgraded from the Vizio I returned due to the charging port issue. I bought an Otterbox ($70) and have nothing but good things to say about tablet and case. Sweet tablet.

hollybelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollybelle

I bought the 2-19-13 refurb 7" and loved it! Sadly a thief broke into my home and took it.
It is, well.. was, a great tablet and I'd recommend it!

edmcguirk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edmcguirk
bowlingb wrote:Given the specs on the two, why would I chose the Samsung over a google nexus 7? Somebody help me out here.

I am shopping for a 7 inch tablet right now. CNET has reviews that place the Nexus 7 in the current number one spot.
The review for the Samsung with 4G LTE has some direct comparisons to the Nexus 7:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-2/4505-3126_7-35426707.html

The review for the Nexus 7 is also informative:
http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

As far as I can tell the Samsung has an SD slot, an adaptor port, and an IR Blaster that the Nexus does not have. The Nexus has better resolution and a faster processor.

For me the SD slot is nice but since I don't intend to stack up on movies, I think I can live without it. The other Samsung options are not as important to me as the higher resolution and faster processor. So, I think I will be choosing a Nexus 7 instead of this sale.

The Nook and Kindle reviews over at CNET are also slightly better than the Samsung. The prices are not very far apart,certain options could let the Samsung, Nook, Kindle, or Nexus be best for you.

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
ThunderThighs wrote:Mod does dramatic eye roll followed by face palm.

SWEEEET! It took years of flirting, but I finally got noticed by Thunder Thighs!!!

maheshw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maheshw

is this new or refurb?

tindios

maheshw wrote:is this new or refurb?

New

Bluesultan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bluesultan
agentfox1942 wrote:How do these compare to the ASUS and other tablets on woot here http://www.woot.com/plus/tablets-accessories?? I know the Samsung are new and the ASUS are refurb, but other than that.

^ This. Anybody have any real-world advice between the Samsung 10" and the Asus 10" being offered? I want to get one for my wife. I know the Asus has a better processor but don't know how much "better" it really is.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
edmcguirk wrote:As far as I can tell the Samsung has an SD slot, an adaptor port, and an IR Blaster that the Nexus does not have. The Nexus has better resolution and a faster processor.

For me the SD slot is nice but since I don't intend to stack up on movies, I think I can live without it.

A simple fix (although maybe not optimal) for the Nexus 7’s lack of a SD card slot. Buy an OTG cable (about $.99), get the app ‘Nexus Media Importer’ and now you can stream movies and music from a flash drive. You are only limited by the size of the flash drive. The only downside is you have a small cable hanging off of your tablet.

tindios

edmcguirk wrote:For me the SD slot is nice but since I don't intend to stack up on movies, I think I can live without it.

If you do buy a Nexus 7, go ahead and get the 32GB. You say you "think" you can live without it, but the price difference is so small it's not worth regretting it later. I just got my Nexus 7 a little over a week ago (32GB) and it has 1.27 GB left. Yes I have 13 movies on it, but we were just on a trip so I needed them for my daughter. With the 8GB version I could have had 1 movie for her. Considering she watched 4 while we were on travel, it was nice to have the larger size.

tindios

escalante wrote: The only downside is you have a small cable hanging off of your tablet.

I'd consider this a LAST resort. The cable dangling is just asking for someone to screw up their USB port. Better to just spend the extra $30-$40 up front and get the full 32GB when you buy it.

The price on these should continue to drop as they announce a new Nexus in May.

jodamn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodamn

There's been a lot of good comments about this tablet so I figured I'd focus on my experience with Samsung support (which was a good one).

I've had the 10 inch tab since October. My use case is basically to load it up with TV/movies and use it to distract myself on long flights. After a couple of months, I had an issue where the touchscreen completely stopped functioning. Samsung support was better than expected - I got a person on the phone very quickly and they emailed me a shipping label to send it back to them (I was expecting endless calls and RMA numbers). A week later I had it back and it's been working perfectly ever since.

werekong

quality posts: 6 Private Messages werekong

Can anyone explain the reasoning why flash is lost in updates? Thanks

JTTXNash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JTTXNash

For us Woot-state (Texas) customers.. add in tax and shipping, you get almost $190 which is no deal at all. Woot's going to have to re-think how deeply they discount. I doubt I'll ever buy anything very expensive from Woot again due to the minimal discount, tax and shipping.