+ Add a Comment

wbrendel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wbrendel

I bought these a few months ago. An honest, unexaggerated review:

These batteries perform terribly in electric toothbrushes. And cameras. And wall clocks. And game controllers. And most others things I've tried them with. Do not buy them.

The only good thing is that these are AA/AAA, not 9-volt batteries. If they were 9-volt, someone might foolishly depend on them to power a smoke detector in their home, resulting in almost certain death.

Edit: I forgot calculators. They're awful in calculators too.

Edit 2: I didn't even read the story before posting this. Yeah, the person in the story would be so dead in a fire if he found a AA/AAA smoke detector and used these batteries.

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13
ghosrider99 wrote:I bought these last time they came around and they have been priceless for XBOX controllers and have paid for themselves already. I would say with an hour of use every day I have to change them about every two weeks. Not bad when you consider the price.

Yea but, why won't they think about the future? All the waste from these things?

And....these things die at the worst times!!

Imagine.... getting up after getting really comfortable and sleepy because the damn remote died while flipping the channel and its stuck on a dirtydouche infomercial!!

Silly Rabbit......

eneal10

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eneal10
carriegirl79 wrote:Bought these before Christmas and the kids go through them like tic tacs. No complaints though..can't beat the price!

The $0.10 price per battery looks nice, but once you add shipping for one deal you are close to $0.20 per battery. Costco/Sams will sell you alkalines for about a quarter apiece, which is a far better value (unless you do business as a quartz clock manufacturer or run a hotel). The only way this deal makes any sense is if you order three. Problem is that pretty much nobody needs 180 "heavy duty" standard AA batteries. Sure, they work well in remotes and clocks. Ask yourself: Exactly how many "low drain" devices do I own and how many batteries am I feeding them? If your answer is less than 180 batteries per year, there are better alternatives.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

Not alkaline? Forget it.

TazoWolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages TazoWolf

900 mAh? No thanks. All of my rechargeables are at least 2300 mAh.

WootStalker.com
"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

Woot, you should just throw these away.

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

aliikane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliikane

Too bad the story doesn't relate because fire alarms don't use AA or AAA. They use 9V.

stvbrwn8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stvbrwn8

I bought three packages of these last time for one purpose- kids toys. I have two young ones and I have no complaints about battery longevity. Buy one of each, they're good to have around and you know it.

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling
GMilberger wrote:Am I the only one that, whenever this deal comes up, mistakes the batteries for energy drinks?

I might need to get my sense-of-scale examined...

Same.

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

lori2106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lori2106

The last time I got these, I got a pack of the AA and one of the AAA. They were busted open and the box was leaking from where they'd been tossed around, busted, with no packing material.
Woot refunded me.

And by the way... take that you stupid fire alarm?? hahaha since WHEN do fire alarms take AA/AAA batteries !?

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
aliikane wrote:Too bad the story doesn't relate because fire alarms don't use AA or AAA. They use 9V.

Not all detectors use 9V some actually use AA but I still wouldn't recommend buying these.Big Lots or Dollar store has them in 4 and 8 packs for about the same cost per battery.Unless you really need 180 batteries in the next few months.

stanchris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanchris

Use these batteries in Remotes, clocks, and the small LED flashlights that take 3 AAA's. Cameras and high drain devices they won't last. Even cameras don't do well on alkalines.

jasonanaggie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jasonanaggie

These are not alkaline batteries; they are trash. These are the acid variety that come free with cheap no-brand Asian TV sets and the like. This is a definite DO NOT BUY unless you need some cheap batteries for low drain devices like your trusty OEM remote control.

From: Battery FAQ's - Answers to Frequently Asked Battery Questions http://housewares.about.com/od/homeessentials/qt/BatteryFAQ.htm

Q. What is the difference between alkaline and non-alkaline batteries?
A. Alkaline and non-alkaline batteries have different compositions and vary in performance.

Alkaline batteries are widely used in consumer electronics and appliances. Panasonic’s Digital Power is the top performer in high tech electronics and appliances.

Two examples of non-alkaline batteries would be Panasonic Super Heavy Duty batteries recommended for low drain consumer goods such as radios and flashlights, and Panasonic Oxyride Extreme Power Batteries that are recommended for high drain electronics such as MP3 players and digital still cameras.

ribnik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ribnik
Jonas4321 wrote:My smoke detector takes a 9V.

Yeah, I don't even think I've seen an AA or AAA smoke detector.

It's a pain in the ass enough when you smack it off the wall when it's beeping (oatmeal at the bottom of the burner) and only one battery falls out and flys across the room.

planettom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages planettom
jasonanaggie wrote:These are not alkaline batteries; they are trash. These are the acid variety that come free with cheap no-brand Asian TV sets and the like. This is a definite DO NOT BUY unless you need some cheap batteries for low drain devices like your trusty OEM remote control.

From: Battery FAQ's - Answers to Frequently Asked Battery Questions http://housewares.about.com/od/homeessentials/qt/BatteryFAQ.htm

Q. What is the difference between alkaline and non-alkaline batteries?
A. Alkaline and non-alkaline batteries have different compositions and vary in performance.

Alkaline batteries are widely used in consumer electronics and appliances. Panasonic’s Digital Power is the top performer in high tech electronics and appliances.

Two examples of non-alkaline batteries would be Panasonic Super Heavy Duty batteries recommended for low drain consumer goods such as radios and flashlights, and Panasonic Oxyride Extreme Power Batteries that are recommended for high drain electronics such as MP3 players and digital still cameras.

That's a quality post.

potter412

quality posts: 7 Private Messages potter412

"Heavy Duty" batteries should be used in low-drain or seldom-used devices. Zinc-Carbon batteries are typically whats tagged to be "heavy duty". They have a short shelf life and are prone to leakage because the zinc is susceptible to ammonium chloride and the casing thins out over time (even when not being used). One upside though is they are generally more landfill friendly.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
GMilberger wrote:Am I the only one that, whenever this deal comes up, mistakes the batteries for energy drinks?

I might need to get my sense-of-scale examined...

Quality post!

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks

If you actually decide to try for yourself how crappy those are, please do everyone a favor and don't be shy to ask Woot to take them back, so as to make it less cost effective for them to keep selling them and hopefully decide to finally scrap whatever stock there is left.

dedicateddad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dedicateddad

The non-alkaline/non-rechargeable batteries have two major advantages: Price and LOoooooong shelf-life. They have almost no self-discharge, and thus I have no idea why they have an "expiration date."

PRO TIP: All other battery-types will lose some charge - most rechargeables drop at a surprising rate, and die if you don't top them off once a month or so!

At 900mAh, these are about 1/3 of a "coppertop" or other standard alkaline competitor - in other words you'll need three of these to equal an average bunny-battery.

If you're a parent with crumb-snatchers who are still too stupid to turn off their toys/flashlights/etc these could be PERFECT! -- when the little Wakko wastes yet another set of batteries it's only setting you back a dime or so instead of a whole buck.

If my kids weren't grown at this point, I'd be all over these - I'd probably buy three and cheat to get three or six (or NINE!) more.

As it is, one can buy Coppertop AAs (for example) online and get 28 for the same price, ultimately yielding ~50% more energy than 60 of these.

Bottom line: If you don't have wasteful kids, there really are better deals out there!

Sorry Woot!

OTOH, I WANT THREE DAYS OF MY LIFE BACK - so... (:oP>

mdnorman

wbrendel wrote:I bought these a few months ago. An honest, unexaggerated review:

These batteries perform terribly in electric toothbrushes. And cameras. And wall clocks. And game controllers. And most others things I've tried them with. Do not buy them.

The only good thing is that these are AA/AAA, not 9-volt batteries. If they were 9-volt, someone might foolishly depend on them to power a smoke detector in their home, resulting in almost certain death.

Edit: I forgot calculators. They're awful in calculators too.

Edit 2: I didn't even read the story before posting this. Yeah, the person in the story would be so dead in a fire if he found a AA/AAA smoke detector and used these batteries.

This is just crazy! I come to Woot and see batteries, and I'm ready to pull the trigger. "Hey; cheap batteries for the kids!" I think. Then I check the comments and, omigosh, I'm not sure these batteries need to be bought after all!

eneal10

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eneal10
danwat1234 wrote:Waste of material. They won't last very long. Be sure to recycle them, many big stores have bins in the front for recycling batteries.

A far better buy would be some NiMH AA and AAA batteries and a quality charger. They'll last for 100s if not 1000s of recharge cycles.

Don't worry about recycling them. The cost to recycle exceeds both the economic and environmental benefits of doing so. Better yet, choose a more efficient (alkaline or better yet NiMH rechargeable) cell. If you take these batteries to your local recycling center/hazardous waste facility, they will advise you to throw them in the trash. They are literally worth less than dirt after they are used.

michelsondl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages michelsondl

Am I the only one that, at first glance, thought this was a bunch of 120 film?

jovino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovino

900mAh?!

LAWL!

notaguru

quality posts: 5 Private Messages notaguru

The product is circa 1950, and hazardous to the health of modern electronics -- this junk attacks the very credibility of Woot!

These carbon-zinc AA cells have less than half the energy density of a physically comparable alkaline cell, and twice the probability of electrolyte leakage.

At the posted price of $0.18, they're simply not at Woot's customary level.

Ugh!

Bouquet of Cauliflower is like Bigfoot

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks
dedicateddad wrote:
PRO TIP: All other battery-types will lose some charge - most rechargeables drop at a surprising rate, and die if you don't top them off once a month or so!

Except for the LSD rechargeables like Eneloop, which can stay in my camera for many months and still have plenty of energy left.

Darksoul13

Just because it basically useless and wasteful doesn't mean someone won't obliviously spend there hard earn money on tons of it.

Silly Rabbit......

mdnorman

stvbrwn8 wrote:I bought three packages of these last time for one purpose- kids toys. I have two young ones and I have no complaints about battery longevity. Buy one of each, they're good to have around and you know it.

OH, what the heck! Why not? In for three!

Not.

nettronic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nettronic

HAving had to learn about batteries when I went with high AMP devices like my kids RC car I can say one thing.

Heavy duty? this are rated a at 900mAh. Which is almost half what most AA batteries are rated at.

you can get 40 AA batteries at pep boys for 5 bucks (1200mAh). They suck too, but $10 gets you 80 crappy batteries.

A name you can trust? Since when has Fuji been a name you can trust? I am lost on w00t lately. probably why I ahve not bought anytihng in over a year,

mbsurfer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbsurfer

I bought these last go around. They are horrible. I used them on a cordless shaver, and they lasted three minutes.

mdnorman

I'm wondering if it would be good to get a few of these sets of batteries to include as part of the supplies for a zombie apocalypse survival kit.

awarner32

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awarner32

THANK YOU all of you Wooters for letting me know how terrible quality these batteries are. Woot and Fuji will not be getting my business on these batteries although the deal LOOKED amazing!

jtew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtew

Can't pass this up for the price!

nettronic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nettronic

To point out smoke detector issue.

Woot largley ships to the US. They are based out of Texas, which is effectively a foreign country by most Americans. It is possible they use AA/AAA powered smoke detectors in Texas. However carbon monoxide detectors do use dual AAs.

(number of batteries is also due to voltage requirements not amperage FYI. 4x AAs = 6volts. Not 8 Amp requirements. ) 9
v batteries guess what, produce 9 volts

So smoke detectors unless a change in architecture was performed would require 6 AAs

mdnorman

After these batteries sell out all the naysayers are going to be regretting that they didn't get in on the deal.

Darksoul13

mdnorman wrote:I'm wondering if it would be good to get a few of these sets of batteries to include as part of the supplies for a zombie apocalypse survival kit.

Sure, we can always use a distraction to get away...

Silly Rabbit......

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

WARNING
THESE ARE NOT HEAVY DUTY BATTERIES!!!!

The batteries are misleadingly labeled. A rep at Fuji admitted that these are NOT truly heavy duty batteries, which would have a zinc chloride chemistry. Those are a good value for certain applications. Unfortunately, these are not zinc chloride, they're just regular carbon zinc.

See this post from a previous Woot:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4756905

cmusicfan05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmusicfan05

If I buy 3 sets of batteries and stack them, can I call it "Mount Fuji"?

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat

Here you go, everyone who complained about no crap bags in the woot-off!! Buy these, when they show up - there's your Barrels of Crud

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

tydirten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tydirten
shabazz18 wrote:These batteries are terrible. At least in xbox controllers.

I agree they are terrible in anything. They last 4 hours in a controller or headset. Too good to be true

tsmerritt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsmerritt

I bought this brand of batteries from WOOT back before Christmas (I bought 2 AA and 1 AAA). So I had 120 AAs and 60 AAAs to start and in 2 months, they are all used up. Either they were so old that they have already lost most of their charge or they are not made very well. (nothing like finding a few pallets of batteries lost in the dark corner of a warehouse)

I hope that this new batch of batteries hold their charge better.