vvebsta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vvebsta

Have you seen other cameras that woot frequents that you'd recommend we holdout for?

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
"7-megapixel resolution – Provides as much fine detail as 35mm film so you can make beautiful prints up to 11×14 inches or crop your photo for enlargement with no decrease in quality"

This is wrong! wrong! wrong! It's a blatant lie.

"If you do fret the pixel counts, I find that it takes about 25 megapixels to simulate 35mm film, which is still far more than any practical digital camera. At the 6 megapixel level digital gives about the same sharpness as a duplicate slide, which is plenty for most things. Honestly, I have actually had digital files written back out onto film to see this."

PRINT SIZES

If an image is clear you pretty much can print any image from any modern camera at any size. Sure, if you print mural size you won't have the sharpness you'd get from 4 x 5" film, but you'll have an image that looks fine when viewed from the reasonable distance at which normal people will view that image.

Ideally you'd like to print at 300 DPI to look sharp even when viewed too close. You can figure this by:

Long print dimension in inches = 4 x (square root of megapixels)

For example, for a four megapixel camera the square root of four is two. Two times four is eight. Thus the biggest print you can make without losing sharpness compared to film at normal viewing distances is is 6 x 8." From a sixteen MP camera likewise you could go 12 x 16." Of course you can print bigger, just you won't have the sharpness of film. Also few people are able to get all the sharpness of which film is capable, making this harder to compare.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I would suggest reading this whole page, it is very good information. This camera may be good enough for what you want, but not as good as 35mm, Guaranteed.

slappomatt wrote:you are totally wrong. 35mm film has the resolution of about 8mp. most dslr's are beyond film. and the 16-22mp canon flagships are getting into medium format teritory. and to link to ken rockwell just shows how little you know about this.

I agree.. Film is very overated. Film under most conditions cannot compare with 8+mp. Remember most people will get a somewhat blurry picture with camera movement on film.

Digital allows you to instantly review your picture and see how the picture will actually turn off. And with a quality resizing program, you can easily blow it up to 3x its native rendering size.

QVGA 0.077 Megapixels = 320×240
VGA 0.3 Megapixels = 640×480
SVGA 0.5 Megapixels = 800×600
XGA 0.8 Megapixels = 1024×768 (sometimes called XVGA)
WXGA 1.0 Megapixels = 1280×800)
SXGA 1.3 Megapixels = 1280×1024
WXGA+ 1.3 Megapixels = 1440×900
SXGA+ 1.4 Megapixels = 1400×1050
WSXGA+1.7 Megapixels = 1680×1050
UXGA 1.9 Megapixels = 1600×1200
WUXGA 2.3 Megapixels = 1920×1200
QXGA 3.1 Megapixels = 2048×1536
WQXGA 4.1 Megapixels = 2560×1600
QSXGA 5.2 Megapixels = 2560×2048
WQSXGA 6.6 Megapixels = 3200×2048
QUXGA 7.7 Megapixels = 3200×2400
WQUXGA 9.2 Megapixels = 3840×2400
WUQSXGA 11.3 Megapixels = 4200×2690

Ever look at a picture on a 1080p at 60".. simply amazing and that is only 2 megpixel.....

I have taken photos at 8 megapixel to pro printshops and had the photo blown to 24x36 and it looks like a professional photo.

Any professional would use both a D P&S and DSLR. DSLR's are incredible... you can't compare an 8 megapixel point and shoot like this one to a high end film camera.

you should compare apples to apples... dslr vers film slr. dslr's are just as good if not better because of there image stabilization and enhancements.

rmadathiveetil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmadathiveetil
windexwindex wrote:heeeey! it's that ugly camera with the red diamond motif! trying to trick us through photography eh?

Yeah You got it ! it is the same ugly one

louithefish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louithefish

ALready seen this on here...

Number of Woots: 17
$$ Blown: $255.06
Items Received: 71

StephenWalls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StephenWalls
juliemurphy wrote:For all of you who bought a sandisk MPS player go to sellout.woot for the memory cards Good deal

These are NOT the memory cards for the Sansa Player...
That requires mircoSD cards.

justmenan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmenan

My Canon S3 uses a 4gb SD card with no problem.

Just wasting time!

xrevolutionx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xrevolutionx

mt dew woot mt dew
can wait to get my 3 bags of crap

kentear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kentear

OFF TOPIC...

What causes someone to get a barking dog probation image placed on their comment and a 24-hour probation. They just seem random to me. What am I missing - anyone know?

paruchurit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paruchurit

You all can Zune in the below deal.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203171424

paruchurit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paruchurit
eci4 wrote:You missed quite a few MP3 players yesterday (what 3 different Sansas?)
but I wouldn't worry too much, MP3 players are fairly common on Woot, though usually they are about 1-4 gigs only.

you can get it here.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203171424

ikeymikey27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikeymikey27

pretty good deal but dont need a camera, I have n=my Canon and love it.

I Love me some Woot!

PhonyGal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhonyGal

From consumer reports:

Too slow for action-packed scenes:

Polaroid T737 (7 MP), $180

This has the biggest LCD of the group, at 3 inches, but its image quality is fair to middling. Next-shot delay is a full 5 seconds, longer than any rated model, while shutter lag is also on the slow side, at 1½ seconds.

Phonygal
75 items, 12 of them crap!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
reebs07 wrote:forgive me for my newbieism but was that person really put on probabtion for that post or did he somehow make the dog and the probabtion talk on there himself? i didnt see him refering to any competition, even if he did i see it here all the time.

a friend of mine has had the same camera for a while now without problems. takes decent pictures and for the price i guess you cant go wrong. i'd get it but i just bought a canon that kills this one, but way more expensive.

I've had polaroids in the past and the image quality wasn't great. But, if you aren't using it for high-resolution shots, then it might be a good camera for you.

redwarrior22001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redwarrior22001

Nice camera.

stesguitarpick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stesguitarpick

I can't beleive this is still up!

sayah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sayah

I bought the 5MP during the Woot Off for $35 or else I might rolled the bones with this bad mama jamma.

Dont forget to check out the derby you freaks......
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=4663

PEOPLE ARE OUR GREATEST RESOURCES - The Soylent Green Company!

Crimpboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crimpboy

damn its a Polaroid! If it was a sony, cannon, or Nikon then definitely I would buy it. Polaroids just can't do the job its funny because its name brand but a cheap name brand cheap garbage crap, it looks pretty nice though.

bloodstain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloodstain
stesguitarpick wrote:I can't beleive this is still up!

It will be up all day there is no woot off today!

give a hoot and woot!

elfynibs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfynibs

bought this. seems fine for what it is, even if it is a Polaroid, i need a camera, and this one looks quite nice for the price.

also, i think the red junk all over the front looks nifty, not ugly!

....but maybe thats just because this is the first 7 MP camera i've found for under 150...

StrayNostalgia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia

I've had a Canon Powershot A510 for several years now... it's a bulky, heavy, battery-gobbling monstrosity. If I wanted a good THIN replacement, would you suggest I buy this one? And I was told for the best possible picture quality, it is the zoom that matters more than the MPs. Any thoughts?

ninefinger31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninefinger31
StrayNostalgia wrote:I've had a Canon Powershot A510 for several years now... it's a bulky, heavy, battery-gobbling monstrosity. If I wanted a good THIN replacement, would you suggest I buy this one? And I was told for the best possible picture quality, it is the zoom that matters more than the MPs. Any thoughts?

I personally like the Pentax Optio line for small point and shoot cameras

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual
monidel wrote:How much "lag" time is there in between waiting for the flash to get going again? Anyone know? Because my current camera you have to wait FOREVER for it to be ready for the next picture. Thanks Bunches!

any chance you're using a Nikon Coolpix L6, L10, L11, or L12?

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

MrOoham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrOoham

That is one ugly camera.

SanDisk 512MB MP3/WMA Player
RCA Lyra 256MB MP3 player
ScreenPlay 4805 Entertainment Bundle

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004
vvebsta wrote:Have you seen other cameras that woot frequents that you'd recommend we holdout for?

Not likely.

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

bogawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bogawoot

This polaroid seems kinda expensive for a not Big name brand...Woot clown-hater?

bogawoot

BOUNCING ! ! ! !

bogawoot

Where's all the POLE VAULTERS, O'Really's, & URCat is ??? PICTURES! ! !
NEED SOME ENTERTAINMENT HERE Wootee's ! ! !

wildwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildwolf

View Pictures of Local Singles in Your Area... :o)

jvoorhis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvoorhis
auctionsaver wrote:I agree.. Film is very overrated. Film under most conditions cannot compare with 8+mp. ...

Correct, why do you think so many pros use the high end Canon and Nikon DSLR's and use their film cameras as a backup (usually after a Cannon Rebel or the like)?

Mega-Pixels are a poor way to measure quality, and in particular to try to compare to film. The bigger the imaging sensor, the better in most cases, allow more light to fall on a wider area, and will have the most impact on whether a print can be enlarged with good results. For a good example of this in action, see the images from the Mars Rovers, that camera was only 1 MP! Optics being equal, of course.

To the PhonyGal, - I wouldn't trust CR for any electronic reviews. everything else is great though. For better Digital reviews, see www.dpreview.com.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

xrevolutionx wrote:mt dew woot mt dew
can wait to get my 3 bags of crap

Me too, except I know it's 3 craps in one bag. :-P

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bloodstain wrote:It will be up all day there is no woot off today!

haha, it's funny because it's true.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kentear wrote:OFF TOPIC...

What causes someone to get a barking dog probation image placed on their comment and a 24-hour probation. They just seem random to me. What am I missing - anyone know?

It means they done a bad thing. Usually posting something pretty offensive, but unless you see it when it happens or someone tells you later, you won't know what it was because the mods usually delete it.

illushin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illushin

MichaelSF

quality posts: 92 Private Messages MichaelSF
nclegaleagle wrote:This is a great camera. I wooted one a couple of months ago and my wife loves it (no, it does not vibrate, it takes great pictures).

"Does not vibrate" means the camera does not shake. That is because it has the image stabilzation feature, like my Canon does. Since it works on your camera, that's a pretty high tech feature to have on a $100 camera.

easydoesit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easydoesit
Brad47 wrote:Exactly right! I guess I started this whole viewfinder discussion and MichaelSF's post completely confirmed what I said, and for exactly the same two reasons CNET cited. I will never buy another Digital camera without a viewfinder again, and I think others that might be new to Digitals should consider the lack of a viewfinder when they purchase a camera. Thanks MichaelSF!

Thx to both of you for saving my dough! I just about pulled the trigger on this camera as I dont have a digital. Would have been my 1st w00t since I just missed the RBof3C's yesterday!

howmanywootswootawootchuckerchuckifawootchuckerwootchuckwoots

easydoesit

No viewfinder is a terrible problem on my motoQ. I should have transfered this experience in considering this purchase. It didnot occur to me so... Thanks again!! for saving me the disappiontment. This is a good forum.

easydoesit

Pentax was my favorite back in the 35mm days. Who knows about value/quality of point and shoot class Pentax digitals?

liammc4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liammc4

this camera is crap people.

unless its 100 buck present to people who you hate.

bonbonfunkytron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonbonfunkytron

did anyone ask if it came with the dollar yet???

bonbon