Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Over the next 24 hours, loyal wooter, you’re going to hear a lot of nasty rumors about Woot getting into bed with a big corporation. We’re here to tell you that they’re all true. We’d hoped to announce the grand opening of Halliburton.Woot tonight, but our security clearances were revoked (long story). So we turned away from the dark side and found one of the good guys to work with. Beginning at midnight CDT tonight, Woot and Yahoo! will be partners in a new venture we’re calling Sellout.Woot. (We’d link to the front page right now, but we can’t, exactly. More on that in a minute.) If you need a light for your cigar, you can use one of our new hundred-dollar bills.

Yes, it’s the same Yahoo! you’re thinking of. They came to Woot with the idea that we could spruce up Yahoo! Shopping by offering an exclusive daily deal through them. Fortunately for us, they also wheeled up a barrowful of sweet, metaphorical cash, in the form of access to their gigunda audience of shoppers who’ve never met Woot. Far be it from us to pass up an opportunity to synergize! We’re, uh, idealistic that way. The upshot is that Sellout.Woot will offer a Woot-style daily deal that’s different from the one on Woot.com, seven days a week.

Of course, no catch, no cash, metaphorical or not. And the catch is, you can only reach Sellout.Woot through Yahoo! Shopping’s front page at shopping.yahoo.com (after we launch at midnight tonight, that is). It’s a pain, we know, but one of the benefits of sponsorship is that Yahoo! gets to lure you all through their front door. Like everything else in this experimental venture, that door might occasionally get stuck. Rest assured that any such mishaps won’t keep you from getting a Bag O’ Crap – we’re contractually obligated to keep our crap to ourselves.

Otherwise, this Yahoo! partnership gives us some room to experiment. We can push our product envelope, stretch our marketing muscles, and hook whole new demographic cohorts on the Woot narcotic. We can follow our mentally unstable muses without inflicting any pain on you guys (well, any more than usual, anyway). All the classic Woot identifying features – daily deals, bustling forums, obnoxious humor – will still be fully present and accounted for.

If you’re already a Woot member, your existing account works with Sellout.Woot, too. It should be fascinating to see how the battle-scarred, ultra-cynical Woot audience interacts with the Yahoo! Shopping crowd. We’re not sure if this mixture will turn out like chocolate and peanut butter, or ammonium nitrate and gasoline.

So there it is: snot-nosed little Woot holding hands with big button-down Yahoo!, as we skip together towards a shining new era in ecommerce. And it all starts at midnight tonight. See you at Yahoo! Shopping – we’ll be the goofballs over in the corner, giggling and counting our money.

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

j/k

z0ned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z0ned

sounds like a truck load of cash rolled into the woot warehouse ;)

illinialumni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illinialumni

I think that those posting #'s 4-100 should get a posting bonus with all of your spare hundreds.

illinialumni

Hmmm slow crowd - more for me!

cjmcgrath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjmcgrath

I say congratulations! We're still gonna have the regular Woot! Many times you see a company "Partner" with some big one and it completely changes, Woot didn't do this and that's what makes it the best!

AudioFX Force Feedback Gaming Headset - Awesome!
Screaming Monkey with Green Woot Cape - Scored during WootOff
Bunnies Ogling Carrots x 2
1 Set of Woot Off Lights

Codyy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Codyy

great!

illinialumni

Why no Woot! announcement on the Yahoo! YHOO stock page? They do own their own company. Maybe they don't know?

dylanlang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylanlang

finally my yahoo shares might be worth something

yoni08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoni08

should have waited for google to offer

pakkman781

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pakkman781

So long as I can still buy cheap crap, and there's an RSS feed, I'm okay with it.

Please let there be an RSS feed?

logicalchaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages logicalchaos

Bundles-O-Cash?

thenickaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thenickaman

Just don't become like mp3.com after cnet bought them out, and we'll be good.

I'm just pissed because now there's going to be a huge influx of customers on this side of woot.com, and a bunch more dolts asking about what the barge of carps is when it graces the front page.

illinialumni

Blinged - Out - Caretakers?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
thenickaman wrote:Just don't become like mp3.com after cnet bought them out, and we'll be good.

I'm just pissed because now there's going to be a huge influx of customers on this side of woot.com, and a bunch more dolts asking about what the barge of carps is when it graces the front page.

so- not much different, eh?

iceDesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceDesign

good for you woot! may your business forever grow!!

i like to draw.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

to be clear, this is not an announcement of a yahoo investment in woot, nor a newly formed operational corporate entity/partnership thing -- this is two sites teaming up to share ideas and traffic.

lshmmsy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lshmmsy

Just wish woot will have a better business.

mearlus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mearlus

sellout.woot, powered by Smartpost!

illinialumni

Snapster wrote:to be clear, this is not an announcement of a yahoo investment in woot, nor a newly formed operational corporate entity/partnership thing -- this is two sites teaming up to share ideas and traffic.

No one's changing their name to Wahoo! or Yoot!?

ausbun

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ausbun

Does this mean B - 0 - C in the future will mean Bag O' Cash?

SkyShard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SkyShard

just buy some more servers with the money and ill be happy =D

Josephus

Snapster wrote:to be clear, this is not an announcement of a yahoo investment in woot, nor a newly formed operational corporate entity/partnership thing -- this is two sites teaming up to share ideas and traffic.

..and what about the boatloads of money Jason was talking about?

icec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icec

what. the. feet.

jasontho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasontho

ooh so there's going to be TWO woots a day? Sweet!

Chrisbrns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chrisbrns

But with Yahoo!....You guys should go to Google and ask for front page linkage...

"Google Search" "Im feeling Lucky" "Woot of the Day"

Those are the new google buttons. epic lulz! that would be so awesome.... Damn, maybe I should start my own woot site and take it to google.

WooWOOT of the day! I got it! whoo hooOOO!

Chris Burns

raitosan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raitosan

Too bad Woot isn't partnering with Starbucks. Would love to get a Bandolier of Carrots with my crappy coffee and crappy music.

cyberfr0g

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberfr0g

lulz, epic thread

SpritlE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpritlE

can sellout.woot afford to upgrade from smartpost?

Hellmonkeys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hellmonkeys
SkyShard wrote:just buy some more servers with the money and ill be happy =D

epic lulz!, yeah, or just use some of Yahoo!'s, I am sure their datacenter is amazing.

But yeah, way to make a niche market not-so-niche anymore by partnering with Yahoo! Oh well, I guess that just means there are two deals a day instead of one.

Oh, and, why would you ever sign a contract that says you cannot sell b.ags o.f c.rap? How sad

dcobranchi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcobranchi

Just a suggestion. Could you maybe work in EST? 1am is a I haven't bathed in days!!

I wrote "1am is a k i l l e r." Nice hack, whoever did it.

klemens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klemens

Does this mean Woot will now be cooperating with the Chinese government? You promise you won't be "inflicting any pain on you guys (well, any more than usual, anyway)", but I'm not clear on whether that means you will or won't be following Yahoo!'s official policy of handing in information that leads to individuals' torture and imprisonment. Can we look forward to future prosecution of Woot under the Alien Tort Statute and the Torture Victim Protection Act? And I would really, really like to see Woot appear before the House Foreign Affairs Committee (see http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/press_display.asp?id=406) I'd get CSPAN just to watch that one.

I mean, I'm all for you guys making money and shilling crap, but why did you partner with the one web site that's openly complicit in the commission of human rights violations?

batmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batmonkey

Considering Yahoo's willingness to help imprison users and otherwise screw over the people who just want to use the internet freely and safely, this will be my last ever interaction with Woot.

I'd be sad, but y'all are off counting money and clearly don't give a rat's ass about your users, so I'll just skip off into the sunset, merrily whistling the tune of "yay! new places to shop! new places to shop!"

zbeeblebrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbeeblebrox
pakkman781 wrote:
Please let there be an RSS feed?

Oh, I agree completely.

No RSS feed = no traffic from me.

You can't expect me to remember to visit every day. I've got lots of stuff to do. That little "Woot(1)" showing up in my Safari Bookmarks Bar is the only way I remember to go check woot every day...

mustafarox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mustafarox

sorry you got pwned.

I wooted $86.96 of my hard earned bookseller cash away.

CRAPS x 6 -=- SHIRTS x 2 -=- Other Janks x 10
apcray ACHIEVED 4/1/08!!!

Snapster

batmonkey wrote:...

I'd be sad, but y'all are off counting money and clearly don't give a rat's ass about your users, so I'll just skip off into the sunset, merrily whistling the tune of "yay! new places to shop! new places to shop!"

damn.. can't believe you guessed the launch item so quickly...

Rat's Ass $0 (+ $5 smartpost shipping)
condition: Refurbished

shenkmen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shenkmen

Goodbye! Tis a shame. Farewell. I've deleted my bookmark for woot or whatever your name is.

twoeightnine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twoeightnine

Who gets the ! in event of a divorce?

Josephus

Snapster wrote:damn.. can't believe you guessed the launch item so quickly...

Rat's Ass $0 (+ $5 smartpost shipping)
condition: Refurbished

You want I should make a rat's ass T-shirt for you?

Snapster

twoeightnine wrote:Who gets the ! in event of a divorce?

hauppauge!