edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada

After watching the probation frenzy yesterday, I think there is a problem I don't see why Fenstar was probed and the other offenses didn't appear to be eggregious enough to warrant that reaction. Were there any warnings given before siccing the dog on them? Could it be because the object of scorn was Josephus? Could there be an overly zealous, inexperienced moderator out of control out there? I believe these questions need answers. It all sounds very incestuous to me. Hey, I can have an opinion right? Or will I get probed for this?

My dogs like me, that is important.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
edlada wrote:After watching the probation frenzy yesterday, I think there is a problem I don't see why Fenstar was probed and the other offenses didn't appear to be eggregious enough to warrant that reaction. Were there any warnings given before siccing the dog on them? Could it be because the object of scorn was Josephus? Could there be an overly zealous, inexperienced moderator out of control out there? I believe these questions need answers. It all sounds very incestuous to me. Hey, I can have an opinion right? Or will I get probed for this?

Several folks got probated (it seems) for conversations that no longer appear in several threads where it started getting kind of personal, or people were intentionally baiting each other, or the mods. Fen appears to have gotten caught up in it and got himself a timeout to sit and cool off a little. The pseudonym he was engaged with was obviously originally created with the intent of getting him angry.

I dare say if someone else was ganged up on and taunted like Joe was, and one or two individuals seemed intent to get a rise out of someone, they too might get asked to sit in the corner and think about things for a few minutes. There's no need to be nasty in these forums. There's even less need to attack someone's personal beliefs or vocation.

One or two people can quickly turn what used to be a friendly, quirky community into a really unpleasant place to be. When that happens, and Woot thinks the party has gotten out of hand, it's their right to call a cab and tell folks to go home and sleep it off.

This is not the first time an event like this has happened. Previous times it was not Joe as the target. It wasn't even someone who'd been around as long or contributed as much as Joe. Didn't matter though. Bad behavior is bad behavior. Mean people suck. Sometimes a timeout cures this. Let's hope cooler heads will prevail after everyone has sobered up a little.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
gwp wrote:Let's hope cooler heads will prevail after everyone has sobered up a little.

Blasphemy! Stone the heretic!

peglegwookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie
gwp wrote:Several folks got probated (it seems) for conversations that no longer appear in several threads where it started getting kind of personal, or people were intentionally baiting each other, or the mods. Fen appears to have gotten caught up in it and got himself a timeout to sit and cool off a little. The pseudonym he was engaged with was obviously originally created with the intent of getting him angry.

I dare say if someone else was ganged up on and taunted like Joe was, and one or two individuals seemed intent to get a rise out of someone, they too might get asked to sit in the corner and think about things for a few minutes. There's no need to be nasty in these forums. There's even less need to attack someone's personal beliefs or vocation.

One or two people can quickly turn what used to be a friendly, quirky community into a really unpleasant place to be. When that happens, and Woot thinks the party has gotten out of hand, it's their right to call a cab and tell folks to go home and sleep it off.

This is not the first time an event like this has happened. Previous times it was not Joe as the target. It wasn't even someone who'd been around as long or contributed as much as Joe. Didn't matter though. Bad behavior is bad behavior. Mean people suck. Sometimes a timeout cures this. Let's hope cooler heads will prevail after everyone has sobered up a little.

That is true and it is explained clearly and tested on our Computer Information Literacy at our University here. Specifically flaming, trolling, and spamming are mentioned as unacceptable practices on most forums unless otherwise noted in a disclaimer.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
edlada wrote:After watching the probation frenzy yesterday, I think there is a problem I don't see why Fenstar was probed and the other offenses didn't appear to be eggregious enough to warrant that reaction.

One more thing, Mr. Lada: Unless you see a post that says something like "this post was the reason why this poster got xxx hours probation," I think you should assume that the offending post (or posts) was deleted. I guess that makes sense, but it also means it's hard for those of us who see stuff after the fact to figure out where the line was.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
no1 wrote:One more thing, Mr. Lada: Unless you see a post that says something like "this post was the reason why this poster got xxx hours probation," I think you should assume that the offending post (or posts) was deleted. I guess that makes sense, but it also means it's hard for those of us who see stuff after the fact to figure out where the line was.

That is correct, even though it gave me a link to the offending post it had been deleted. I can assure you that everyone did something to get probated, although I don't think I would have given myself 30 hours.

Still single, can't imagine why.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

probation is fun. sort of. But you can't post anything.

sisterC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sisterC

i don't recall why bro d and i each got 1000 hours probation last fall but i do think it was a matter of a mod with need of an enema...

mad dogs and englishmen...i still want the great dane!

edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada
sisterC wrote:i don't recall why bro d and i each got 1000 hours probation last fall but i do think it was a matter of a mod with need of an enema...

Ahhh, a common problem at times. I heard they were sending a tank truck to the White House.

My dogs like me, that is important.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
kenney9226 wrote:probation is fun. sort of. But you can't post anything.

Why do you keep getting it?

Still single, can't imagine why.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
FenStar wrote:Why do you keep getting it?

It occurred to me that some people might think I got my recent pile of probations as a result of being a big obnoxious insulting pottymouth, but really all the hours came from writing FIRST OBNOXIOUS POSTER! on one or two new threads, and also hitting the "post" button about 41 times to post the same thing over and over again on one of the little-used sellout.woot threads.

More hours got tacked on for "spamming," but I don't quite know what I did that was spamming.

Mostly I flagrantly broke the rules and was awarded the appropriate punishment. For sure I could have prevented it but at the time I was just so full of myself I couldn't help it.

allawayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allawayr
FenStar wrote:Why do you keep getting it?

hes a probaddict.

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Um, where is this probe fest you speak of?
I have brought my own assortment of lubricants.
Hello?

sisterC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sisterC
kenney9226 wrote:It occurred to me that some people might think I got my recent pile of probations as a result of being a big obnoxious insulting pottymouth, but really all the hours came from writing FIRST OBNOXIOUS POSTER! on one or two new threads, and also hitting the "post" button about 41 times to post the same thing over and over again on one of the little-used sellout.woot threads.

More hours got tacked on for "spamming," but I don't quite know what I did that was spamming.

Mostly I flagrantly broke the rules and was awarded the appropriate punishment. For sure I could have prevented it but at the time I was just so full of myself I couldn't help it.

so you are into discipline ?

mad dogs and englishmen...i still want the great dane!