georgec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgec

Ideas:

- enable us local Dallas area people to pick up, or at least be optional
- experiment with countdowns, especially for high-volume items
- more first time items ... send someone to China/Taiwan/Korea in search of fun stuff at outstanding prices, bypassing some middle distributors
- franchise the idea/software ... let someone else do beerwoot.com
- in my opinion, Woot needs to stand behind every sale, and not send the buyer to the original manufacturer, as in the previous poster's Gateway problem. If nothing else, you should ensure that there is a Gateway/Woot person who will solve a Wooter's problem ... a real body ... a real name.
- option to mobile text me, or IM me when a new item gets posted ... especially useful for Woot-offs.
- giftwrap option .... sounds silly, but there are times when I would have added significant margin to my purchase for this option.

My $0.02.

mrileyatwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrileyatwoot

Staff

Snapster wrote:BOCs are expensive on their own, but that is compounded by the site also sitting dormant. I don't think we're ruling out midnight BOCs but I do think it's fair to say they are exceedingly rare.

Since ideas are being tossed out, I may as well throw in mine...I'm a movie buff and most of my friends are also. I think a fair number of people in here would love it if we could have a movie.woot.com or something similar where we can sell movies of varioud types...I'm already thinking a two-for-Tuesday on that would just be nice if it's the right pair of movies...

Anyway, the main point is I think it would cater to a large audience and selling out the product would happen frequently.

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab

ohhhh... and 1 more thing... BAN comments from:

* wooters with zero woots
* wooters that sign up for a new account during a current wootoff!!!

please!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

unusualpsycho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualpsycho
Snapster wrote:I'm a fan of a fairly mainstream but possibly still independant brewery down in south texas - Shiner Bock. Actually looks like they are pretty widely distributed now - 41 states according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiner_Bock. and also owned by Gambrinus Company that owns some other independants. So they probably aren't your classic higher dollar independant anymore, but what I was going to say is that I can pick up a case at Costco pretty darn cheap these days.

I'd love to hear of some higher end / higher priced suggestions. We could try a week long take-over at wine.woot to test them out.

I would strongly suggest Stone Brewing out of Escondido, CA. They are still pretty small even after opening the new brewery not to long ago. Except for a select few of their beers in 6 packs all of their beers come in individual 22oz bottles that run anywhere from 3.50 to 5 bucks each. It is by far the best beer I have ever had and pretty much the only kind I drink anymore. I have spent a lot of time at the brewery for different events and a ***.woot connection seems like just the kind of thing they would try and do.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
georgec wrote:Ideas:

- enable us local Dallas area people to pick up, or at least be optional
- experiment with countdowns, especially for high-volume items
- more first time items ... send someone to China/Taiwan/Korea in search of fun stuff at outstanding prices, bypassing some middle distributors
- franchise the idea/software ... let someone else do beerwoot.com
- in my opinion, Woot needs to stand behind every sale, and not send the buyer to the original manufacturer, as in the previous poster's Gateway problem. If nothing else, you should ensure that there is a Gateway/Woot person who will solve a Wooter's problem ... a real body ... a real name.
- option to mobile text me, or IM me when a new item gets posted ... especially useful for Woot-offs.
- giftwrap option .... sounds silly, but there are times when I would have added significant margin to my purchase for this option.

My $0.02.

lots of good stuff there - thank you a bunch for the input - here are some initial responses

1. I pitched a woot drive through at our Dallas HQ when we moved in. It was actually conceptually approved by the city. I'd still be fairly giddy over it, but we really have had our hands full just keeping up with the core growth channels at hand.

2. I'm not sure I'm understanding countdowns in this context. Do you mean showing percentage quantity left like in a woot-off? That's do-able of course, but so far we've leaned against anything more than the bouncing 'I Want One' as having some downsides to it.

3. totally agreed. we're on this to some degree, though there are liability and testing needs that do add weight to the proposition. we have some initiatives on the launch aspects, though of course it's often the hardest to obtain the best deal at launch.

4. we do not hold the idea of woot as intellectual property. there are many woot variants out there and we enjoy them expanding the space.

5. woot does stand behind every sale and ensures that manufacturers perform as they are supposed to (or we step in); on many items we offer the front line support. There is a balance between product value and service value and in some cases can cause delay and hardship before resolution. As we expand, we can afford to shift some of this balance back towards service without increasing price.

6. there are a lot of third party communicators out there and we have a developers RSS feed http://www.woot.com/salesrss.aspx to assist in their communication widget development. Twitter.com is a directly supported free channel if you're looking for something easy.

7. love it - similar to the gifting cards we have available for wine.woot gifts. this is a definite to-do item and I think a matter of bandwidth here before it gets done. our warehouse logistics have taken some time to get totally up to speed and this is a big time and labor intensive option to throw in the mix.

gandecab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandecab
Snapster wrote:I'm a fan of a fairly mainstream but possibly still independant brewery down in south texas - Shiner Bock. Actually looks like they are pretty widely distributed now - 41 states according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiner_Bock. and also owned by Gambrinus Company that owns some other independants. So they probably aren't your classic higher dollar independant anymore, but what I was going to say is that I can pick up a case at Costco pretty darn cheap these days.

I'd love to hear of some higher end / higher priced suggestions. We could try a week long take-over at wine.woot to test them out.

Come to the Great American Beer Festival just down the road in Denver, Co (Oct 9-11th). Every major and minor Brewer in the country will be there (including distributors),

Even if you don't end up doing beer.woot, the festival is still a blast!

http://www.gabf.org

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
unixrab wrote:ohhhh... and 1 more thing... BAN comments from:

please!!!

Snapster

gandecab wrote:Come to the Great American Beer Festival just down the road in Denver, Co (Oct 9-11th). Every major and minor Brewer in the country will be there (including distributors),

Even if you don't end up doing beer.woot, the festival is still a blast!

http://www.gabf.org

cool - I'll actually be in denver next week for the foo fighters concert at red rocks; I'll learn more about it.

thewevel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewevel

I think the "Silent Majority" never speaks out because the forums are so terrible. When will "FIRST" or "Crooooooooow!" posters get banned? The signal to noise ratio is ridiculous.

Other than that, I like this woot thing you have going on.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Stoudt's beer in Pennsylvania is quite good, and they have quite a few varieties.

Dogfish Head also has some quite expensive varieties of their beer.

mutt1823

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mutt1823

+1 for movie.woot, great idea mriley

zbeeblebrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbeeblebrox

movie.woot would be a good idea.... especially if it ties into television serieses (serii?) as well. For example: Battlestar Galactica, third season, $30+$5 shipping, today only...

models.woot could work as well. Model aircraft, model cars, decals, etc. Made of Wood, Plastic, etc. Lots of manufacturers to choose from.

zbeeblebrox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbeeblebrox

how about kitchen.woot ?

...or bedandbath.woot ?

Mws640

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Mws640

I would like to see outdoor.woot, where you sell outdoor stuff for camping, hiking, fishing, bbq equipment, ect. Maybe even a day where you sell just stuff related to bbqing.

heffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heffer

A lot of people are suggesting various food and beverage related .woots. Maybe an umbrella food.woot.com or tasty.woot.com would work well. Personally, I've enjoyed it when pistachios come up randomly, or when you've offered a box of gourmet chocolates on wine.woot.com. Mix in specialty coffees, candies, maybe even some kitchen instruments that wouldnt be too hard to ship, and it could give you a wide enough of a stance to support a site off of.

And clever toys that fall under a certain guilt-free price point are something I would buy whenever the mood strikes me. I'm not saying they deserve their own woot site, but mixing them in to the regular woot rotation would keep up peoples curiosity in between the monotony of gutter cleaning robots.

highnthemnts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highnthemnts

Hi Matt. Own the barbie vacuum (the kid does, anyway), but never posted. *single dad, don't have the time*
- I visit your site not often enough. If I found something worthy, you offered it days ago - upsetting. Chances are the current offer isn't for me (green headphones?), so i'll come back when time permits, a few days or weeks. Eventually on one of my consumer interest oriented forum based websites (where i burn any & all extra time) "a hot deal @ w00t!" post appears, and now my interest is back to you and woot for a few days.... , i don't have the time or *patience* for one a day offers. As a suggestion, i'd like to receive more value from your website in the form of having the ability to purchase those missed items, ie: "in case you missed it" purchases - perhaps a revolving couple of items from last week.

dmx10101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmx10101

Personally I'd like to see more unique items on woot, like interesting gadgets and gizmos. Alot of my purchases here have been the different items- USB massage ball, leakfrog, USB missle launcher, camo colored phone, Jumbo remote control. Sometimes it gets tiring seeing TV's, GPS's, computers and MP3 players on here everyday. All of the unique items seem to end up in just the woot off.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

shirt.woot needs to offer holiday and event related shirts early enough so that buyers' don't need to pay the $5 delivery premium to receive them on time.

Also, offer long-sleeved shirts this fall

seanazq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanazq

OK Random - but I'm looking for a job. Job.Woot - bid out the best jobs (like random woot blogness) to 20 somethings or Baby boomers don't want to retirees? Think about it - monster/career.com don't have to have the market! (I've got marketing skills - you've got my email)

Zeusandhera

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zeusandhera

I'd like to see some more of the issues with shirt.woot that have been brought up in the forums there. Specifically I think there needs to be a better way to view which designs are currently for sale. A lot of the people I recommend shirt.woot to can't find such awesome designs like this one. So maybe thumbnails, a new tab at the top that says "View Current Designs", or something like that.

Thanks for opening yourself to the public like this!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Womens XXL shirts.
Men's size L is bigger than WXL

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

gandecab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandecab
Snapster wrote:cool - I'll actually be in denver next week for the foo fighters concert at red rocks; I'll learn more about it.

It's the COMDEX/CES of Beer Festivals - 500+ Brewers, 1400+ beers, and 3 days to drink them all one ounce at a time.

Red Rocks, well, ROCKS!

enjoy

eltwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eltwo

Snapster said:

. . . no matter how great the participation is and vocal response is, the silent majority is to be considered unspoken.

A true classic, you got me to do a double take.

So, what you're saying is "if the silent majority is outspoken, will the pope hear it in the woods?"

JBean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JBean
Snapster wrote:I wonder if you could count on enough folks with grinders in these days of pod/single servers. I still buy and prefer whole bean but is it a shrinking audience?

A natural pairing for all the grinder/brewers you guys used to have, eh? (But what do I know, I don't even drink coffee...)

Thumbs up on the movie.woot idea or maybe even entertainment.woot to umbrella other media options into the mix. Think of the variety that's out there....

And I know this is a business and you want to make money and all, but don't be too diligent about looking for more expensive items. Who can afford it these days? (Hey, got a deal on some gas? That's pricey and in demand....) I'm a lot more likely to hit the buy button if an item's not too expensive. The budget for impulse buys is down for a lot of folks these days.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet

Hehehe....

Little did I know.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eltwo wrote: Snapster said:

A true classic, you got me to do a double take.

So, what you're saying is "if the silent majority is outspoken, will the pope hear it in the woods?"

No. Nixon.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

t3chvest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3chvest
sammydb wrote:Ever think about doing a second start? I'm referring to the 12 AM startup time, and for a lazy rear like myself who has a 9 to 5, I'm never up then. So, my question is referring to having a 12 AM and 12 PM start time on different things, especially things that sell out quickly. Cause seriously, I'd love to get my hands on a bag o' carp or random shirt sometime!

Indeed. I subscribe to the Woot RSS, and check it along with my other feeds the instant I turn my computer on at work... I'm on the east coast though, so Blushing Over Compliments's and other cool items are ALWAYS gone by the time I get a chance to check it at 8 my time.

t3chvest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3chvest

Personal input:
- I'd love to see more... Well, useful items on Woot. I would love seeing nice power strips for 2 for tuesdays, CD binders, DVD spindles.... Things we use. Maybe start something like an overstock.woot to put all of the ridiculous items no one wants after they get posted. You can only sell so many 3rd generation ipod nano headgoggle earbud cleaning kits, and I can't help but shake my fist at my monitor when seeing something like that on multiple occasions.

- Since lots of products can be bought direct from manufacturer as refurbs, it'd be nice to see the selection expanded. I'd love to see some nice Logitech or Klipsch speaker systems for PC's, head units for home theatres, battery backups, internal PC parts, maybe even cell phones, etc.

- I wish a music.woot for music gear would be sustainable, but I doubt there'd be much of a market for it =(

- book.woot? =)

Few responses after reading through:

- food.woot or world.woot would be great as mentioned, for food. Trying different candies, spices, coffees, etc from around the world would be pretty fun

- Movies.woot would be great! There are LOTS of quality bargain bin movies out there, and you could sell daily bundles of related movies or boxed sets...

- This is actually my first post because I'm really intrigued by the CEO of one of my favorite websites personally posting/responding (which I think is awesome, btw, and you have EXCELLENT taste in beer (mmm shiner mmm)). As speculated, I've never posted because reading through most comments makes me want to stab myself in the face. How many "wheres the carp", "first", "second", "respiffied rules", "wheres the fish", etc do I have to go through to read a relevant post? I'm not sure how one would fix this though... You certainly wouldn't want to be a Tom Servo about posting

- To those complaining about woot not directly taking returns: what good would they do you? Do you think they have a warehouse of parts and technicians waiting to fix products? They explicitly sell things with manufacturer warranties for a reason, the manufacturer will be 10x more helpful than woot can be. Lay off =) I certainly think it was a good idea to have a dedicated rep from companies you buy larger lots from, though.

pumasoccer87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pumasoccer87

It is a rare occasion for me to blog, but I do want to tell you that Woot is a great site and gives me something to look at online everyday.

I love the ideas of a movie.woot and perhaps a food/spice.woot possibility, so you guys have my vote. If there is a beer premiere on wine.woot can you please make it happen in a few months when I'll be able to order it? ;)

I would like to see more screaming monkeys with other color capes, fun colors like Aquamarine. Surprises like these in the Bag of Craps, so people can kind of show off their wooting spirit instead of potentially selling whatever carp is sent. (I do realize it's called carp for a reason, but it can be fun carp because I mean monkeys find it fun to throw carp, right?)

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Toadlet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

I would like to see the site itself improved. More specifically the forum software. I understand that it's been über-modified for Woot's purposes, and probably isn't a good candidate for a simple upgrade anymore, but it needs some help. Get the codeslaves to remove links to features that are broken like the old search function, and at the very least implement all of the tags that are demonstrated in the Formatting Guide, such as [code] and [size]. If they really want to be adventurous, they can implement Flash, YouTube, etc. - even if it's only in specific forums.

I appear to be melting.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

A lot of people have pets. Perhaps the first Friday of the month could be Furry Friday where you offer up some nifty pet item -- not the self-scooping litterbox though.

I would like to see a side deal with some pet stuff too -- like Three Dog Bakery, Petco, PetSmart, etc.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

Hi Snapster,
Looking for some insider info. Do you have a Data Center? Who is BigD? Or maybe that information must still remain a mystery...
I thought Matt was possibly Snapster from reading some of the posts over the years.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

snellenberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snellenberger

Two ideas:

1. Shirt.woot.com has to sell shirts that say something.

You can do pro-McCain on Tuesday, pro-Obama on Thursday if you find it necessary to be fair and balanced. Hell, sell 'em at the same time and post the results like a straw poll. But if you look at other shirt sites you'll see that message sells. Your obvious avoidance of anything controversial undermines your sales.

2. Post Woot Sales

If I've missed a woot that's not sold out it would be nice to have a second chance sale in the blog. I know they sold out but I kicked myself for missing some Sennheiser wireless headphones in the last woot-off; especially as I was watching the woot-off closely. A second bite at the apple would be nice. Hey, if you've still got product, take my money.

kikidoodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kikidoodle

I just have to say you have a great team.
I love the sales, and I had a small problem with a shirt ordered from shirt.woot but it was taken care of in a snap.

Thanks!!!!

Snapster

boy this is very invigorating - thanks for the responses and keep them coming. I note a few I'd like to respond to here (hopefully later today) as well as what looks like a very popular theme on next dot-woot suggestions (and my perspective) for a future blog post.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
unixrab wrote:ohhhh... and 1 more thing... BAN comments from:

please!!!

I can certainly understand why a person would want this, but I think you'd be doing a disservice to Woot. Many potential Wooters start accounts and post product questions before they settle on making a purchase. Banning them might potentially rob Woot of buyers.

Also, add me to list of supporters for movies.woot. I think an all-encompassing food.woot site would also be intriguing.

flipb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flipb

Two suggestions:

1. Woot-offs should start any time, without warning. Not just at midnight. So put up the latest mp3-playing, non-Mac-compatible Roomba at midnight as usual. It sells out at 11am. Then randomly, at 1:34pm, BLAM! Woot-off starts. (See what I did there? That little "L" will save me an expensive lawsuit from Emeril.) In addition to generating more buzz and Woot-off-related revelry, it counts as throwing a bone (albeit a small one) to those of us in Eastern time who can't stay up until 1am nightly -- at least we could be on a level playing field in catching the woot-off.

2. Random gifts for long-time, repeat Wooters. When I buy my 10th or 15th Woot, throw a little something extra in the box. Make me feel the love.

AdamCahill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AdamCahill

I think the Banjo of Consternation offerings should have some sort of puzzle, much like the million dollar carp.

b1gg33k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b1gg33k

This silence will now be interrupted by a short burst of random noise to be labeled "My twist on some of the ideas already here."

Forums: Do something like digg where the community votes up the bast posts. Also have it weighted by poster activity (frequent posters get moved toward the top).

A 'boneyard' for people to buy woots that did not sell out. I realize this would cut down on the items available for a woot off though...

Mini woot off: If an item sells out before a specific time in the day offer a bonus woot. This may also help appease the east coasters that can't stay up for the normal woot change. If the time of day threshold was well know it could drive the community to buy that item they were on the fence about just to try and help trigger a bonus woot. This would also help to maximize your revenue stream on what would otherwise be idle time from a sales perspective.

Wooter seniority: This kinda goes with the forum idea. Wooters with high recent purchase counts or lots of highly rated posts get access to tomorrows woot an hour early. This would prompt some people to buy that extra item they were debating on, or post that useful review they might not get around to otherwise. I am sure that the identity of tomorrows items would get leaked out to the interwebs but that sounds like free marketing to me.

auction.woot.com: This would be for items with lesser quantities available. At the end of the day the wooters with the highest bids all 'win' the woot. Ever wonder how much people will pay for a Blushing Over Compliments???

RE: The bundling idea... I recall a year or more ago there was a big screen that came with a Blushing Over Compliments.

I now return to my regularly scheduled silence.

izzysane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages izzysane

Matt, pretty simple request. Make woot and all other woot sites mobile phone friendly. In it's current form it isn't that easy to navigate.

Way tooo much money has been spent trying to attain glory from the WOOT gods!