Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

If you’re one of those number-chasers who pore over our daily product stats, you’re in good company. The popular (and awesome) consumer-rights blog The Consumerist seized on our Woots Per Capita Map to get a quick read on the economic impact of Hurricane Gustav. They noticed Louisiana was much darker on September 2 than it had been on August 2, and concluded that Pelican Staters have better things to do right now than buy cheap SD cards online.

In all seriousness, our sympathies are with anybody displaced by Gustav or the other storms in the Gulf this season. We won’t take your inactivity personally. Some things in life are more important than – yes – even Woot.

But we thought it would be interesting to refine The Consumerists’s quick ‘n’ dirty assessment with a bit more detail. We’ve got all these stats laying around, so we might as well do something with them.

Louisiana represents 1.53% of the U.S. population, and usually a somewhat lower percentage of Woot orders, like its neighbors Mississippi and Alabama. On the day the Consumerist chose for their “before” image, it just so happened that we were selling the Cummins P2400 Onan 2000 Watt Homesite Generator – exactly the kind of thing Louisianans would be stocking up on with storm season coming. That day, Louisiana accounted for 2.51% of Woot sales, well above their usual. More typically, from July 20 to August 30 (that’s 116,584 total sales), 0.94% of purchases came from Louisiana, somewhat below their percentage of the population. That’s why their state is darker than average on this map for July 20 through August 30:

As you can see, they weren’t way up in the rankings to begin with. But in the first five days after the evacuation order was issued on August 31 (45,695 total sales), Louisiana sales plummeted to just 0.32% of all Woot sales, a 66% drop. And Louisiana was plunged figuratively into Woot darkness:

So despite the “generator effect”, The Consumerist’s inital analysis holds up pretty well under a broader examination of sales. And that’s the Gustav story through a glass, wootly. We invite our fellow amateur statisticians out there to share other interesting insights from their armchair Woot analyses (like when we noticed the Confederacy apparently hasn’t quite forgiven Lincoln yet).

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

Sounds to me like you just proved you need to make woot more friendly to order with mobile devices ;P

"Most people use statistics the way a drunkard uses a lamppost, more for support than illumination" - Mark Twain

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

I'd like to see a long-term averaged map like these for shirt.woot. I've noticed that the west coast (and especially my native Washington State) always seems to be far brighter than everywhere else. I also recall seeing very few people wearing t-shirts when I visited Boston recently.

I think it would be an interesting look at fashion norms.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

Someone tell us what that dot is in missouri is too (on these Google templates.) I hate looking at it every time one of these gets passed around. Any Google Engineers out there?

toddrowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddrowan

Why are so many people from Utah buying Leakfrogs and Roombas? Or are they buying all their wine from woot to keep their purchases from the prying eyes of the neighbors?

Snapster

toddrowan wrote:Why are so many people from Utah buying Leakfrogs and Roombas? Or are they buying all their wine from woot to keep their purchases from the prying eyes of the neighbors?

I'm pretty sure Utahns are unable to participate in wine.woot due to not allowing reciprocal state wine shipments, though this transaction data is just woot.com orders anyways.

toddrowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddrowan
Snapster wrote:I'm pretty sure Utahns are unable to participate in wine.woot due to not allowing reciprocal state wine shipments, though this transaction data is just woot.com orders anyways.

Understood. But it is interesting to see them standing out among your customer base. What's the in-house woot theory?

Carnth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Carnth

I live in the New Orleans area and evacuated from Gustav.

But you know what's weird?
I haven't bought anything from Woot in a while (I know, I'm sorry). But I did buy the MicroSD cards and the blurry Random Woot Tees (3 each). I must have been the only person from Louisiana to look at Woot instead of the Hurricane on their free Hotel Wi-Fi.

DemonMF777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DemonMF777

Guess nobody noticed this either... Palin & her fellow Alaskans truly are out of touch... Look at their lack of wooting!!! Maybe Alaska's numbers will go up after her nomination!

Carnth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Carnth
DemonMF777 wrote:Guess nobody noticed this either... Palin & her fellow Alaskans truly are out of touch... Look at their lack of wooting!!! Maybe Alaska's numbers will go up after her nomination!

Sorry Alaska and Hawaii, no Woots for you!!!

{Woot doesn't ship there}

DemonMF777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DemonMF777
Carnth wrote:Sorry Alaska and Hawaii, no Woots for you!!!

{Woot doesn't ship there}

just trying to stir the pot!!

naschian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naschian
DemonMF777 wrote:Guess nobody noticed this either... Palin & her fellow Alaskans truly are out of touch... Look at their lack of wooting!!! Maybe Alaska's numbers will go up after her nomination!

Nomination as runner up vice-president? *zing*! Dumb-o-crat-4-life!

Too much Woot!, too little time...

Snapster

toddrowan wrote:Understood. But it is interesting to see them standing out among your customer base. What's the in-house woot theory?

I'm probably totally wrong on this, but I'm going to take a stab that Woot knowledge within Salt Lake City might be high with it having a college in town town and perhaps a healthy word of mouth culture overall.. and perhaps SLC is weighty enough in terms of overall Utah population to really swing the state above others with less metropolitan communities. I should have probably googled for some stats as that could be quite wrong.

edit - well wikipedia says SLC proper is only 1.1 million but the Wasatch Front urban area in total is approximately 2,150,000 or nearly 90% of utah's population. I'm going to stand by my theory that Utah has a relatively dense population center that is Woot-savvy compared to their overall state population. These graphs do not measure concentration of Wooters exactly, but rather concentrations of Wooters in comparison to their own states population.

rememberme2016

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rememberme2016

hey, I just wanted to take the time to say that Woot! really came through for us during this storm! I live in Southwest Mississippi, just across the state line from New Orleans, and we made every attempt to be fully prepared for this storm. Thanks to Woot! I was totally ready for major disaster. That six pack of battery operated camping lanterns that have been pushed to the back of my closet for months, the two unpacked boxes sitting outside my bedroom door each containing three 10-in-One Solar Powered/Hand Crank weather radios and three Black and Decker Pocket Power Pack respectively, and the household standard two-way flashlights which I bought three of during some woot! off... it looked like "Hurricane Gustav, sponsored by Woot!.com"

My mom was so proud, I even got this endorsement from her: "I know I give you alot of Manos, the Hands of Fate about how much money you blow on woot! but some of this stuff really is very useful, huh?"

Anyway... thanks for this thread, which has given me the opportunity to say "Thank You, Woot! You totally made our hurricane!

oh... and I totally jumped on the micro SD cards. fyi, I'm in for 3 every time. you can never have enough, right?

dldnal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dldnal

Utah may not have nearly as large a population as CA or TX, but they do have a pretty high percentage that are college graduates. Aslo, a number of decent sized universities would mean a population that fits the Woot target demographic, sans the Woot Wine. The now take into account that Utah has the largest average household size in the nation, as well as the 2nd lowest % of 65 and over. It seems to fit the Woot target, IMHO.

dldnal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dldnal

Oh yeh, also pretty thrifty.

mudhen1960

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudhen1960

Or you could get an iPhone! i am never without the ability to Woot!!

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
Snapster wrote:Someone tell us what that dot is in missouri is too (on these Google templates.) I hate looking at it every time one of these gets passed around. Any Google Engineers out there?

Yes! My spatial analysis classes were not wasted after all! That is the mean center of US population. Basically it is used "To calculate population centroid, one assigns a uniform weight to each person and zero weight to the land surface. At this centroid, the weights of all the people are balanced over the point." This point is moving steadily westward. It will next be recalculated after the 2010 census. In 1790, it was in Maryland and in 210 years has moved all the way to Missouri. If the populations of Hawaii and Alaska were higher, it would skew even more westward.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 24 | k.w ~ 1 |

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MHBoston wrote:Yes! My spatial analysis classes were not wasted after all! That is the mean center of US population. Basically it is used "To calculate population centroid, one assigns a uniform weight to each person and zero weight to the land surface. At this centroid, the weights of all the people are balanced over the point." This point is moving steadily westward. It will next be recalculated after the 2010 census. In 1790, it was in Maryland and in 210 years has moved all the way to Missouri. If the populations of Hawaii and Alaska were higher, it would skew even more westward.

Wow. Thanks for the great explanation! Very interesting!

And Snapster, thanks for pointing out the white dot that I had never noticed before but will now bug me everytime I look at that map.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lulibell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lulibell
Carnth wrote:I live in the New Orleans area and evacuated from Gustav.

But you know what's weird?
I haven't bought anything from Woot in a while (I know, I'm sorry). But I did buy the MicroSD cards and the blurry Random Woot Tees (3 each). I must have been the only person from Louisiana to look at Woot instead of the Hurricane on their free Hotel Wi-Fi.

Nope, you weren't the only one I also bought the Random Tee, when I was in Georgia waiting to come home. I took the opportunity to introduce my family to WOOT!
I hope you came home to find everything intact, as I did.

DaveTheWave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveTheWave

I could really use one of those generators... Any chance of them coming on again? The wife would be on board now...

megymonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megymonster
The Tim wrote:I'd like to see a long-term averaged map like these for shirt.woot. I've noticed that the west coast (and especially my native Washington State) always seems to be far brighter than everywhere else. I also recall seeing very few people wearing t-shirts when I visited Boston recently.

I think it would be an interesting look at fashion norms.

That would be interesting to see. I think that you would see a bit of a skew toward the western states just because of the time that items are posted. More people are able to woot at 11pm then at 1am...like those of us in Boston. (as has been discussed in many other threads)

I was sporting my "Ain't no party like a Boston party" shirt at the Sam Adam's October fest this weekend, and I saw a few woot shirts about (including another Boston party shirt). So we are out there, but we have Jobs and school and stuff so we can't stay up until 1 to see what is on woot, the good shirts are always gone by the time we get up. At least the shirts we can get after they sell out, but I don't think those sales are represented on the maps.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
MHBoston wrote:Yes! My spatial analysis classes were not wasted after all! That is the mean center of US population. Basically it is used "To calculate population centroid, one assigns a uniform weight to each person and zero weight to the land surface. At this centroid, the weights of all the people are balanced over the point." This point is moving steadily westward. It will next be recalculated after the 2010 census. In 1790, it was in Maryland and in 210 years has moved all the way to Missouri. If the populations of Hawaii and Alaska were higher, it would skew even more westward.

That post is chock full of awesomeness. I never would have guessed that, I thought it was just some poor graphics work by Google. Wait, did I just use the words 'poor' and 'Google' in the same sentence?? Whoa...

glibdud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glibdud

Now that you have lots of data to seed it, I think it would be more interesting to use a state's average percentage of total woot sales as the baseline, rather than population. That way, an item can be properly compared to other items, rather than being dragged up or down by a state's relative awareness of/propensity toward Woot.

rabbitjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rabbitjr

[quote="Jason Toon"]
The popular (and awesome) consumer-rights blog The Consumerist seized on our Woots Per Capita Map to get a quick read on the economic impact of Hurricane Gustav. They noticed Louisiana was much darker on September 2 than it had been on August 2, and concluded that Pelican Staters have better things to do right now than buy cheap SD cards online.[/Quote]

I wish I had seen this post earlier.
Evidently one thing The Consumerist didn't take into account is that much of the state WAS dark on September 2. As electricity and cable had not been restored in most areas on that day. Kind of hard to Woot when there's no electricity or cable to get on the net with.

But I second the motion on making woot more friendly for portable devices. Nothing more discombobulating than trying to watch a wootoff on a jumbled PDA screen.