Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

Background: Over the past 6-8 weeks we have been hearing scattered reports of Woot members not receiving service replies. 100% of the investigations showed that replies were sent and it was determined that we were being blocked at mutiple ISPs. It's been obviously a frustrating experience for members especially and for our service staff as well.

The timing on this issue was exactly in line with a Fiber Optic switch that occurred at Woot HQ earlier in the summer, so this change received all blame for the issue and we've been slowly working with ISP's to get all our newer IPs whitelisted.

Then we found something else earlier this week. Our Customer Relationship Management server has been making use of of an alternate SMTP process instead of the preferred email server. Apparently emails it sent out were being tagged as unauthorized relay emails resulting in a higher level of blockage by more ISPs (some AOL and comcast emails amongst others were affected) While this same setup had existed far back into the past without issue, combining it with new IPs that lacked 'safe sender' reputations caused the expanded recent issues. This issue has been addressed and by all accounts this week the service delivery issue may be nearly eliminated. At the very least moving forward we should be only dealing with localized spam folder issues and not ISP block issues.

CURRENT ACTION (for those experiencing delays from email sent in August):

If you have sent a service email in the past month (or actually a bit further back), and not received a confirmation or a service staff reply, please send in a fresh service request on the issue You should receive a case confirmation reply within minutes after sending acknowledging our receipt and that the email channel is working. We apologize for the appearance of no reply and the tedium of reporting again - please forward an original email if you have it handy, that'd be easiest.

Our Service expectations are to reply within 24 hours on weekdays, usually sooner. There are some peak times such as right after a Woot-Off where it can take slightly longer but we have cross-trained staff who can jump in and help on quick notice when that occurs.

FUTURE ACTION:

If you send an email Today (9/5/2008) or after and do not receive a reply in a reasonable amount of time (generally 24 hours during the week), please do POST HERE so that service can be aware of the issue and respond to you via alternate gmail account as necessary.

ALWAYS:

Please double check spam/junkboxes, especially if you don't receive the auto-confirmation after sending in - the vast majority of times that a communication glitch is reported it is due to a spam folder issue.

Thank you for helping to keep Woot efficient and able to continue to bring the sorts of discounts that you enjoy. We apologize for the length and confusion of this particular issue and we hope that it is cleared up moving forward.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

(and I thought you were ignoring me ;) I'm really glad you found the bugs. Kudos to the entire Woot team!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

Snapster

bump.

sometimes I fear this forum is too hidden to be effective for official messaging... hopefully we'll be able to improve on the navigation soon.

wootershjm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootershjm

There really needs to be a link to this on the front page. Many don't venture past that unless there's a major problem like what I've experienced with my first Woot! This situation you describe is most certainly occurred in my case, and almost ended a very promising relationship before it even had a chance!

YouCantWootThis

quality posts: 17 Private Messages YouCantWootThis

I am glad to read this, as I thought I was losing my mind. I will resend my recent request. I have you whitelisted with all my e-mail accounts, as well as my hosted email domain. I always get the auto-replies, but I haven't been getting your follow-up answers...

mrileyatwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrileyatwoot

Staff

YouCantWootThis wrote:I am glad to read this, as I thought I was losing my mind. I will resend my recent request. I have you whitelisted with all my e-mail accounts, as well as my hosted email domain. I always get the auto-replies, but I haven't been getting your follow-up answers...

I have emailed you through our alternate source. Please let us know if you have not received the message by emailing us again at service@woot.com.

YouCantWootThis

quality posts: 17 Private Messages YouCantWootThis
mrileyatwoot wrote:I have emailed you through our alternate source. Please let us know if you have not received the message by emailing us again at service@woot.com.

Yep, everything is working now. As usual, your service is top notch. Woot rocks!!!

PS, please offer these on woot in the near future. I really think this is a perfect item for a woot-off:

8 1/2 x11" Hand Crank Paper Shredder

Snapster

another bump post on this thread to send it to the top of the forum list while it's still relevant.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Snapster wrote:another bump post on this thread to send it to the top of the forum list while it's still relevant.

why don't you have stickies on this forum?

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
no1 wrote:why don't you have stickies on this forum?

looks like it has in fact been stickied.

Snapster

JoeDeeDee wrote:looks like it has in fact been stickied.

sweet.. I thought there was a button somewhere for that. Thanks Gatzby if that was you.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Snapster wrote:sweet.. I thought there was a button somewhere for that. Thanks Gatzby if that was you.

/wave.

It's kind of hidden, but the option is there. (Edit the Wootbot post to see it.)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

You unstuck.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Snapster

dontwantaname wrote:You unstuck.

thanks, I guess it's time based - fixed.

Hopefully anyone not seeing this is just getting resolved through service naturally, or reading this and not posting. I thought there might be a few more trouble reports.

Give us a post if you've had crappy service!

majit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit
Snapster wrote:...Give us a post if you've had crappy service!

Does that include Monkey Prize? I have no monkey from contest 139.
Also, check the Monkey Prize thread for more Monkey-less Woot Photochoppers!

smallville824

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smallville824

Staff

majit wrote:Does that include Monkey Prize? I have no monkey from contest 139.
Also, check the Monkey Prize thread for more Monkey-less Woot Photochoppers!

We apologize for the delay. We will be sending out your monkey prize.

majit

smallville824 wrote:We apologize for the delay. We will be sending out your monkey prize.

Thank you!
BTW, what does 824 in your name mean? I'm a Smallville fan, too!

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus
smallville824 wrote:We apologize for the delay. We will be sending out your monkey prize.

Does that apply to all monkeys due? I'm waiting for one from #165 and recently #188.

Signature censored by Woot

tehpwnerer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tehpwnerer

Does that mean I'll get mine too?

smallville824

Staff

Xexus wrote:Does that apply to all monkeys due? I'm waiting for one from #165 and recently #188.

Yes. We'll be sending 2.

smallville824

Staff

tehpwnerer wrote:Does that mean I'll get mine too?

Yes. We'll be sending you a monkey, too.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

Hey guys.. I've been trying and trying to contact Samsung regarding my order of the Digimax S85 camera from Sellout.Woot about a three weeks ago, and they simply won't respond to my emails regarding a replacement camera. Is it possible to get an RMA from you guys, or should I keep trying fruitlessly to contact Samsung?

[MOD: No advertising please]

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

wizard7926 wrote:Hey guys.. I've been trying and trying to contact Samsung regarding my order of the Digimax S85 camera from Sellout.Woot about a three weeks ago, and they simply won't respond to my emails regarding a replacement camera. Is it possible to get an RMA from you guys, or should I keep trying fruitlessly to contact Samsung?

We are unsure why Samsung isn't helping you with your return of the Digimax S85. Member Services is going to contact Samsung directly and inquire about the warranty. We will also be sending you a private email letting you know what procedure you should take next. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

majit

Yay! Got 2 monkeys today! Thanks, woot!

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
majit wrote:Yay! Got 2 monkeys today! Thanks, woot!

hopefully my three will come soon.

DementedAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DementedAngel

Congrats on getting the problem tracked down and sorted out. I've been telling folks that it's their ISP, but noooooo. At least it turned out to be a more reasonable reason (the relay bit) than simply the ISPs looking woot up on a blacklist.

Anyway, congrats again. I know how frustrating it can be to try to track down the reasons for ISPs doing the blocking, etc.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

majit wrote:Yay! Got 2 monkeys today! Thanks, woot!

Pictures????

This thread isn't sticking anymore.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:Pictures????

This thread isn't sticking anymore.

Is the issue over? Do you still need it on top?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
smallville824 wrote:Yes. We'll be sending you a monkey, too.

Thanks for that- we keep awarding them, but it has been a bit like, uh, 'spittin' ' in the wind. yeah, 'spittin' ', that's the right word. ;^)

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:Thanks for that- we keep awarding them, but it has been a bit like, uh, 'spittin' ' in the wind. yeah, 'spittin' ', that's the right word. ;^)

Bump.
Woot gods, does this still need to be on top of the page?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:Bump.
Woot gods, does this still need to be on top of the page?

This thread has gone crazy!
If you hit add a comment, you get server error, like the thread is closed.
if you try to reply to Snapster's first post, server error.

The only way to post is to reply to one of the other posts.
//scratches head. Never saw that before!

So if you need to post here, hit reply to the post above you.
Please read Snapster's first post.

Unless the issue is over and the thread is suppose to sink into woot oblivion .
In which case can someone tell me so I stop bumping it!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:This thread has gone crazy!
If you hit add a comment, you get server error, like the thread is closed.
if you try to reply to Snapster's first post, server error.

The only way to post is to reply to one of the other posts.
//scratches head. Never saw that before!

So if you need to post here, hit reply to the post above you.
Please read Snapster's first post.

Unless the issue is over and the thread is suppose to sink into woot oblivion .
In which case can someone tell me so I stop bumping it!

stick again....please read the first post

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

majit

Repeat... Got mine! Thanks!

ActorTom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom
majit wrote:Repeat... Got mine! Thanks!

Still haven't gotten my monkeys. I got the monkey prize in 172, 176, 181, & 183, but haven't received a single one. This seems to be where to complain, since it worked for majit and a couple of others.

smallville824

Staff

ActorTom wrote:Still haven't gotten my monkeys. I got the monkey prize in 172, 176, 181, & 183, but haven't received a single one. This seems to be where to complain, since it worked for majit and a couple of others.

We apologize for the delay on mailing the monkeys you’ve won from the contests. We are going to ship out your monkeys shortly and provide you with the tracking number.

ActorTom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom
smallville824 wrote:We apologize for the delay on mailing the monkeys you’ve won from the contests. We are going to ship out your monkeys shortly and provide you with the tracking number.

Thanks, might as well throw in the one I won today for contest 191.

FedUpOldHag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FedUpOldHag

I won monkeys in contest 159 and 168 and haven't seen them yet.

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940

My monkey win was in contest 142 and my hubby (Pixel8) won in contest 179, we are still looking to get ours. Thank You.

uski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uski

Hi Woot;

You may want to try adding a SPF record to your DNS servers.

A SPF record is a way to tell all the e-mail servers out there which servers are allowed to send e-mails on Woot's behalf. While this cannot guarantee that your e-mails will not be blocked, it should definitely help by lowering the "spam points" of your messages, thus reducing the likelyhood of behing blocked.

You can read more about SPF here

For the techies:

And here is some information which is specific to the DNS provider you are using

I suggest using a PASS result for your e-mail servers, and a NEUTRAL result for all the other ones, to avoid inadvertently marking anything as spam. It looks like you are using a lot of e-mail servers, so it may be tempting to use a PTR mechanism on your SPF record, but some people recommend not to do this. It thus appears that you may have to list all the IP addresses of all e-mail servers you have.

Hope this helps...

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940
carpenter940 wrote:My monkey win was in contest 142 and my hubby (Pixel8) won in contest 179, we are still looking to get ours. Thank You.

Hubby (Pixel8, contest 179) got his but mine (contest 142) was missing. I was hoping to save you shipping. PM me if you have any questions.