angel-78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angel-78

I can't decide whether to buy this or spend $70.00 more and get it new instead of refurb. I have bought refurbs in the past and not had problems, but for $70.00 is it worth inheriting somebody else's headache.

joec56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joec56

It must be the euphoria over the Phillies besting the Rockies at 2:15am eastern time, I went in for 1, it's the most I ever laid down at W00t for any single purchase, I hope it won't be a mistake.

wootywoo09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootywoo09

Wow, computer manufacturer's still make 'Towers' huh? Hmm I thought for sure it was only laptops/notebooks, all-in-one's and super-portable pc's?? I have a HP Touchsmart IQ525 and gosh I just cannot ever see myself having a cumbersome Tower anymore with a monitor, speakers, etc.. Oh No Way!!!! So Obsolete! But I'm sure it's a good deal if it's on Woot.. so if you like, buy buy buy!!!

wootywoo09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootywoo09
sdc100 wrote:YOur advice is spot on. I just bought my mom a refurbished Fujitsu Tablet PC using a 900 mhz Pentium III M. It debuted at over $1500 in 2002, but I got it for $130. The thing runs like a charm for her tasks, which are websurfing and word processing. In fact it runs Word 2007 as fast as my dual core desktop because I do massive multitasking (I currently have 83 tabs open in Firefox!). Handwriting recognition is amazing. I do a lot of video editing however, and that's where the tablet really suffers. A video that takes about 4 mins to compile on my dual core (while running 6 other apps) took over an hour on her tablet (while running nothing else!).

Anyway, I agree with your advice. If you mostly do websurfing and some basic office tasks, a cheap PC is fine. You may even get by on a sub-$200 netbook (I'm typing this on a $149 netbook from the last Wootoff)..

If you check the settings on a computer with a 'dual-core' by accessing 'msconfig'> Boot > "Advanced", you'll see that by default Windows only uses 1 core. It's easy to change the setting to "2 Cores" but it is interesting how so many people pay that extra money thinking that 2 processors are working together so fast just for little old us.. lol.. not true the truth is it takes quite a load for windows to kick the second core into action and that load is probably met by 1% of typical home users.. What does this mean? look up the word "racket".. that should do it!

sexywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sexywooter
aarongriffin wrote:This unit has a problem with overheating. If one installs a fan in the back of the unit problem solved. I am a computer technician and have worked on tons of this model.

How much does each one weigh?

sdc100

quality posts: 518 Private Messages sdc100
wootywoo09 wrote:If you check the settings on a computer with a 'dual-core' by accessing 'msconfig'> Boot > "Advanced", you'll see that by default Windows only uses 1 core. It's easy to change the setting to "2 Cores" but it is interesting how so many people pay that extra money thinking that 2 processors are working together so fast just for little old us.. lol.. not true the truth is it takes quite a load for windows to kick the second core into action and that load is probably met by 1% of typical home users.. What does this mean? look up the word "racket".. that should do it!

As far as I know, I already use both cores as indicated by task manager. Working in an academic research institution, I have access to top IT support and had them optimize my computer. As for taking "quite a load," I do a lot of video editing. Trust me, medical imaging and analysis take quite a bit of processing power.

sexywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sexywooter
Falcon4 wrote:Holy Woot, I can hardly believe it. I just worked on one of these at the shop just a few weeks ago. So I've got a bit of experience...

Comes ridiculously loaded down with bloatware and junk software. Norton, etc. But, really, that's the least of your concerns. The thing you should worry most about is heat in this thing. The northbridge IC gets hot enough to burn your finger - it doesn't have a fan and is barely cooled by the CPU. It runs way hotter than it should, and I work with countless computers each month. Gateway has a BIOS update available, but it's got a ridiculous method to update it, if I remember correctly. I think it has to be loaded from a DOS bootable CD or ISO. The BIOS update makes the CPU fan run faster at low temperatures to help cool that superheated heat sink.

Other than that, the thing flies. The case (at least on the one I worked on) has two standard 3.5" form factor hot-swap hard drive trays that require no extra hardware to mount a drive in, which is pretty slick. It's got a neat little glowing "media center" panel in the top bay with media control buttons. It has a few panels that smoothly float out of the panel to allow you to attach video, USB, audio, 1394, etc., and retract flush with the case. Pretty nifty.

For that much horsepower, sure, grab it. Just be sure to also grab 1x120mm fan and 1x 80mm fan (with 4-pin Molex) to help keep the case cool, since it doesn't come with any fans...

Thanks Falcon4, with your information in tow, I'm in for one...

SkaTroma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SkaTroma
ScottERogers wrote:Does this qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade since it is refurbished?

It does as long as the previous owner didnt already register the serial number with their address for the free windows 7 disc

roxydog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roxydog

A previous gateway owner. Run, run as fast as you can. A piece of junk! Plus, if you ever want their so called customer service it's non-existent!

Zergie123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zergie123

Guys. This computer is beyond amazing. I paid 580ish + $60 shipping about a month ago for the exact same thing (although it looks like mine has extra media controls from the photo woot provided). One thing about this that might annoy new buyers is that it doesn't come with a wireless card. When buying a wireless card, make 100% sure that it is windows 64-bit compatible (not just vista) or you might go through some problems. I already had a wireless USB adapter, but had to buy a new one because my old one wasn't vista 64-bit compatible. Other than that, the computer does get hot, and it's only ever shutoff from overheating 1 time (but it also could have been a power outage) and I've practically left it running since I bought it. I definitely recommend buying this, but keep in mind, that Dell does NOT warranty refurbished computers. Also, for those of you saying that it's too expensive, I spent almost a month price-hunting through newegg, tigerdirect, and ebay, and I paid about $100 more than what woot is selling this for just a month ago. The price is unbeatable, plus woot's shipping is only $5.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
jndtexas wrote:
The layout wasn't designed correctly. As a result, the graphics card was too close to the Intel CPU. In addition, the graphics card wasn't vented to the outside.

Unless you think that Gateway designs their own motherboards, you're likely to run into the same problem with any manufacturer. And an overheating problem would occur on day 1, not day 1 after the warranty expires.

A defective motherboard seems more likely (capacitors can go bad as a system ages, causing random shutdowns) or a corrupted install of Windows (I don't need to explain how Windows has a tendency to develop random errors over time).

And for the record, I will never buy a Dell because of their horrible markup, lying sales staff ("you need a 512MB video card to watch YouTube videos"), and virtually non-existent, out-sourced support.

Bicycler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bicycler

I was thinking I heard Windows Vista (and XP)doesn't work with HD tv. At least not when using Media Center software. Windows 7 media center is capable of receiving HD.

lilithschilde

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lilithschilde

I've owned this computer since March. It's super fast, plays any game I put in it. The one problem I've had is that it doesn't come with a case fan, just a CPU fan. It overheats all the time - as in several times a day. There is a spot to install a fan, and they're fairly cheap or you can sometimes vulture them from your old computer. Also take off the cone on the CPU fan. This solves the problem. I paid almost twice as much for mine, so this is a relaly good deal.

sdc100

Bicycler wrote:I was thinking I heard Windows Vista (and XP)doesn't work with HD tv. At least not when using Media Center software. Windows 7 media center is capable of receiving HD.

I may be misunderstanding you but I have an HP Media Center running Vista 32. The tuner does receive HDTV and you can record the shows in HD. I know of no feature that is disabled because of he Vista operating system.

Mikedwilson63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikedwilson63

Ah, so this one DOES come with a remote...

I bought the similar model a month from Woot a month ago, and every other poster kept saying, I didn't get a remote.

tlpplk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlpplk

I have had one of these for about 6 months now. Because I had read about the overheating problem, I added 2 fans (1 back, 1 front) for less than $20 and I have had absolutely no problems with it.

sk8er4u

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sk8er4u

Does anybody know if this Mobo has a built in raid controller?

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
compg318 wrote:Pretty much the same thing. Needs the Labelflash discs to work.

Yes, its the same thing except you CAN'T BUY the Labelflash discs in the US. I own this box. It's a good PC for the money and its been our household PC for the past 2 years. We don't game on it. But my husband mixes multi track audio (using Audacity) on it and its rock solid.

entrix24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entrix24

I would recommend this PC for a teen but not a hardcore gamer. Maybe a programmer or internet guru. I'm pretty sure Visual Studio with all of the tools will run on this machine with no problems.

caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude

My in laws have an 'extra flat screen TV'. Could they use this extra TV as a monitor for this PC?
Are there any draw backs? They think it is 25"-32" Could they use it as a DVR?

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

lnwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnwolf

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor lacks Intel's Virtualization Technology. If you're just going to run Windows XP or Vista, this is fine, but do know that if you wish to run what is known as "Windows XP Mode" under the new Windows 7 operating system (this is to allow backwards compatibility with some programs), XP mode requires virtualization technology.

Admittedly, I'm running Windows 7 on a machine far older than this at work, but there have been a few times where VT would be very useful, and I don't have it. P.S. --If you don't understand anything of what I just said, ignore this post; you probably don't need Intel VT.

TheSkinsFan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSkinsFan
mikesurovik wrote:looked good until I saw that there's only one cardslot open.

What type of slot is it?

I'm trying to build a semi-compact WHS server -- 17.7" Height is pushing it, but it's still smaller than a full tower -- and the price for this thing is too tempting to ignore. But...

1. Can you remove the media interface in the top 5.25" bay and install a HDD cage that takes up 3x 5.25" bays?

2. Is the BIOS functionality sufficient to configure it properly for use as a server?

3. How many PCI slots does it have total, and what type are they?

4. How many total SATA II ports does it have on the motherboard itself?

It certainly looks attractive as a rather large and basic HTPC -- if you add the fans -- but what I really need is a media server. Usually, I wouldn't consider a Gateway for this purpose, but that case does show SOME promise, and the actual system specs/price are almost unbeatable -- well above what is normally required to run as a server.

Anyone who helps me answer these questions gets my eternal gratitude and one free smilie of their choice.

Thanks ahead of time!

Also, if anyone else is interested in building your own WHS server, I have priced out several custom builds here -- none of which have specs this high, and they're all around the same price:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186090

To compare this Gateway system to those, the price for the Gateway + HDD cage + fans = roughly $600 total.

indytycoon

quality posts: 20 Private Messages indytycoon

Anyone know if this has more than one tuner on the card? I'm thinking of using it as a TV system.

fmfloyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmfloyd

The selling point for this machine is the quad-core. Now, in terms of gaming...

All a retailer really has to do nowadays is say "quad-core" and people assume it is the holy grail. Granted, the cpu in this machine is a nice piece, but the video card is not up to par with the procesor.

Someone mentioned that the vid. card is the equivalent to a Geforce 8600 GT. I have a Geforce 9800 GT (aka 8800 GT), and it blows a 8600 GT out of the water. I'd compare the GT120 instead of using the 8600GT specs, but the GT120 is not even listed on newegg (read: lacking) Here is a side-by-side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130292
GPU GeForce 8600 GT
Core Clock 540MHz
Stream Processors 32
Memory Clock 800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150323
GPU GeForce 9800 GT
Core Clock 600MHz
Shader Clock 1500MHz
Stream Processors 112
Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.1

When you compare the GPU clocks, there is little difference, but the difference in the number of stream procesors (a huge difference) and 128-bit GDDR2 vs 256-bit GDDR3 vRAM is phenomenal in terms of performance.

Heed the warning. DON'T buy the computers on here for $500 expecting to play any new games decently. This rig will chug and stutter playing Oblivion, and that game is from 2006.

Ellimist28

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ellimist28
entrix24 wrote:I would recommend this PC for a teen but not a hardcore gamer. Maybe a programmer or internet guru. I'm pretty sure Visual Studio with all of the tools will run on this machine with no problems.

as a hardcore gamer, I WOULD recommend this system. highly. i regularly custom-build gaming rigs for fellow students at my university, and my jaw dropped when I saw the specs vs. price on this model. I can't even come close to matching that price. If you are looking for a gaming rig, look no further. A video card and power supply upgrade are all that's required, and it's not bad at that!
here's my favorite benchmark site: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
if you go to the list of all cards and look up video cards, you can compare their benchmark scores directly. This method of comparison has always served me well, and I have never had a complaint.
Anyhow, a quick, painless upgrade to a 9800 GTX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339) and a more powerful power supply to support it (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817165004) are all that is required to make this computer Crysis-worthy, and that's saying a lot for all you non-gamer-types out there. with those specs (and the GPU I have suggested) you can easily max out the settings on COD4 and play Crysis on high settings. Had I not just dropped $400 upgrading my rig, I would be buying this model instead of drooling over it.

for those looking to compare processor speeds and benchmarks as well, that same site works very well (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/)
let it be known that i AM a hardcore PC gamer, and my processor (core 2 duo e8500) has a benchmark score of 2314; the q8200 that is included with this PC scores a whopping 3203. those are big numbers, folks. this rig is quite a deal. I am seriously considering buying a few, upgrading, and reselling them.

screw it, i'm in for 2

hoon84lee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoon84lee
timmers2388 wrote:Its a stock machine, for gaming i would recamend using an after market card...

unless your a hard core solitare champ.

I think the stock isn't too bad for gaming. solitaire for 1gb graphic card?

hoon84lee

Very tempting deal of the day..

but one thing...it is Gateway...

Ellimist28

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ellimist28
hoon84lee wrote:I think the stock isn't too bad for gaming. solitaire for 1gb graphic card?

you really can't look at the 1gb spec alone to compare GPUs. that means it can hold a lot of textures on screen... which is useless if it's incredibly slow to refresh those textures and actually display movement. larger video memory sizes are, in general, beneficial for larger screen resolutions (1080p and up) and for dual-monitor gaming.

additionally, the high amount of VRAM is good for video-acceleration of HD content (makes HD movies play well without using up all your processor speed)

BEQR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BEQR
ScottERogers wrote:Does this qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade since it is refurbished?

It does, indeed.
I bought the last Gateway Media Center that Woot was selling a few weeks ago, and I was wondering the same thing. The first thing I tried to do when it came in the mail was check if I was eligible for the upgrade, and I was! Lots of people were telling me "you can't upgrade to Windows 7 for free because this is a refurbished PC", but they were wrong. Hope that helps!

cboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cboy
fmcwoot wrote:Is this the same Gateway model they were selling on the last Wootoff? I seem to remember that one being a lot cheaper.

I believe that one only had 4 GB RAM, while this one has 8. Not sure how muc RAM Vista can handle.

I bought one even before the Woot off. It was about $100 cheaper, but again, half the RAM. It's been working very well. No longer bogged down while the PC is downloading antivirus or Windows updates.

sdc100

Amazon reviews are pretty good, The question is whether this refurbished model qualifies for a free Windows 7 upgrade. If yes, I'd go for it. If not, then I'd go for a new one at $100 to get the free upgrade.

$579
http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-LX6810-01-Desktop-PC-Tuner/dp/B001NW35HY

$799 list
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668232.php

craigwmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craigwmiller
fmcwoot wrote:Is this the same Gateway model they were selling on the last Wootoff? I seem to remember that one being a lot cheaper.

That one had no TV tuner and 4 GB RAM.

swechsler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages swechsler

As far as I can tell (see specs here), this has an ATSC-only tuner, which means it's useless with cable. You'll need to add your own tuner for that, and cablecard-ready tuners are few and far between (I believe ATI is currently the only manufacturer selling one), not to mention expensive. The ATI Wonder Digital Cable Tuner is currently selling for about $250 street, if you can find one. You can buy a cheap non-cablecard tuner, but that will probably only get you the network channels (depending on your cable provider).

showcaller

quality posts: 36 Private Messages showcaller
Krumlov wrote:I'm actually going to get it for less than $30, and from my local college computer store.. 64-bit haha.

Oh, and 7 isn't out yet so why fret?

I'm going to pay top dollar for Windows 7 because even if it is available as an upgrade for free with my Dell, (which I am sure it is not because it is a Dell) it isn't worth the hassle dealing with Dell. They make everything so difficult and impossible, not to mention that whenever their service techs gets on the phone with you, for them it is about upselling and for you it is about solving a problem. I have heard good things about Windows 7 and pray it really has fixed Vista.

"Windows 7, what Vista was supposed to be."

escalante

quality posts: 9 Private Messages escalante
chetyre wrote:Everyone who says this card leaps into the vacuum for gaming, give me a break. From what I can tell a GT120 is the same as a 8600gt, which is what I have in my computer. I've been using this card for two years now and I can still play anything that comes out on medium/high medium settings. Sure it's not cutting edge, but it gets the job done.

I agree, i too bought a 8600GT off of newegg a two years ago and it works fine for games. Yes, Crysis is running on medium, but it runs well (no lag), just not as visual as i would like.

I hate polyester sheets!
Deceptacon Rock

msetyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msetyon

any idea how many Virtual Machines i can run on this simultaneously, i'm looking to run at least 5.

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
BigRedDogATL wrote:Do Gateways still come in the Cow box?

Once upon a time, Gateway use to overclock their motherboards before it became popular. Problem was that it tended to burn out certain chips not long after the warranty expired. Back then it was cheaper to buy a new computer than to get replacement parts from Gateway after the machine went out of warranty. It's for that reason that I don't trust Gateway and will not buy one of their machines ever again, no matter how cheap the price.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Gateway either. Years ago they sold my father a P2 and told him it was a P3. When I pointed this out to him he called them and they told him that sometimes windows sees a P3 but called it a P2. Huh? I haven't trusted them since.

sdc100

Ellimist28 wrote:refurb = each one has to pass quality control ;)

Twice. First during its first release, and then again, after having been refurbished.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
s7npieces wrote:Anyone know how to cancel an order?

We recommend sending an email to service@woot.com with your order number. Please adjust any spam filtration you have in place to ensure a response.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

hoon84lee

atvman29 wrote:If anyone out there is a college student and interested in Windows 7, you can get the upgrade for $30 with your .edu email address at this Microsoft website.

thanks for that info!