Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Traditional brownie pans do the job they're asked to do - but what about consumers who prefer the tough, chewy edges of brownies? The makers of the All Edges Brownie Pan thought they had that demographic sewn up. Its zig-zaggy configuration ensured that every brownie was right up against that hot non-stick aluminum, for at least two chewy edges per brownie. But there's one thing they didn't count on: the Perfect Brownie kit. With a divider system kind of like an old metal ice-cube tray, this upstart pan bakes every brownie with four edges. Oh, it's on now.

All Edges Brownie Pan on the left, Perfect Brownie on the right. Mom and kid sold separately.

Not only does Perfect Brownie offer double the tooth-gnashing edginess and easy, pleasing square slices, but they also had the smarts to reach out to brownie consumers where they gather: in front of the TV.

Sorry, All Edges Brownie Pan. We're calling this one for Perfect Brownie. As for me, I like the soft middle brownies, so I'll stick with the old-school baking method. At least until somebody comes up with a No Edges Brownie Pan.

I first saw Perfect Brownie on Retail Therapy.

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless

Could one fill Perfect Brownie with cake batter to make rectangular bastardized cupcakes (i.e., sans cup)?

crapface

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crapface
fjordless wrote:Could one fill Perfect Brownie with cake batter to make rectangular bastardized cupcakes (i.e., sans cup)?

I believe that would be called a pre-cut sheet cake.

Azuaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Azuaron

I am unconvinced the perfect brownie thing actually provides four edges per brownie. You can see on the all-edges brownie pan that the heat can get up between the curves, and that's what makes the edges delicious. The perfect brownie thing may have "patent pending technology," but it really just looks like you'd end up with true brownie edges around the outside, and standard inside pieces with no edges on the inside.

kpjackson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpjackson

"As for me, I like the soft middle brownies, so I'll stick with the old-school baking method. At least until somebody comes up with a No Edges Brownie Pan."

Exactly right! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way. With all these edge-only pans I was beginning to think that I was alone in a world of madness . . . or something like that.

drinkchai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drinkchai
Azuaron wrote:I am unconvinced the perfect brownie thing actually provides four edges per brownie. You can see on the all-edges brownie pan that the heat can get up between the curves, and that's what makes the edges delicious. The perfect brownie thing may have "patent pending technology," but it really just looks like you'd end up with true brownie edges around the outside, and standard inside pieces with no edges on the inside.

Ding...that's exactly what I read on some other site when they tested them.

The all-edges worked, and actually created edges, the perfect just made pre-cut squares so you dont have to.

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless
kpjackson wrote:With all these edge-only pans I was beginning to think that I was alone in a world of madness . . . or something like that.

The fools do not grasp that their quest for more edges can only end in madness. Their pathetic mammalian brains will never anticipate the sibylline Lovecraftian horrors that await in the non-Euclidian baking tray!

osborn4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osborn4

"As for me, I like the soft middle brownies, so I'll stick with the old-school baking method. At least until somebody comes up with a No Edges Brownie Pan."

I'm with you. But my wife says that because the centers are closer to the edges, you can bake them so that they are more consistent and the edges don't have to be as dried up to get the centers cooked to completion.

So all edges vs. no edges could be just a cooking differential.

kirkjeffery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirkjeffery
drinkchai wrote:Ding...that's exactly what I read on some other site when they tested them.

The all-edges worked, and actually created edges, the perfect just made pre-cut squares so you dont have to.

You all beat me to it. Just pre-cut brownies. For those who want crisp edged brownies, you will have to stick with the serpentine pans.

bacontaco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bacontaco

The all edges brownie pan is a great idea, but they charge WAAAAAY to much for them... I think last time I came across them they were $35.

shank102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shank102

Perfect Brownie fails badly. You just dont have to cut them but it doesn't really make the chewy edges I crave. oh yeah...the clean up can be a pain too. All Edges for me, thanks.

Listen2Reason

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Listen2Reason

No edges brownies? Hmmmm...Maybe if you had a spherical cooking pan wrapped around a heat source. Like a mini-Dyson sphere! Of course, to counteract the effects of gravity, it would have to be spinning...or IN SPACE!

twizzleme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twizzleme

I have the All Edge brownie pan - so I'm speaking from experience here. If you are fan of brownie edges, this is the best damned brownie _ever_. Ask my kids, ask my kids friends. Ask the other people I know who have bought the pan after tasting my brownies.

I have not tried the Perfect Brownie Pan for one simple reason. It looks impossible to clean. It also looks cheap to me, but i realize that's a tough call to make by watching a commercial.

Now I must go home and make brownies. It's been a week since my last batch.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
drinkchai wrote:Ding...that's exactly what I read on some other site when they tested them.

You...you mean... a TV commercial lied to me?

Curse you for taking my innocence, Perfect Brownie.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Jason Toon wrote:You...you mean... a TV commercial lied to me?

Curse you for taking my innocence, Perfect Brownie.

Now, hang on, if Perfect Brownie makes the middle brownies, with no edges at all... isn't that what you've been looking for all your life?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

smallbigtall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages smallbigtall
Listen2Reason wrote:No edges brownies? Hmmmm...Maybe if you had a spherical cooking pan wrapped around a heat source. Like a mini-Dyson sphere! Of course, to counteract the effects of gravity, it would have to be spinning...or IN SPACE!

Winner. I'd buy one.

hipster wooter became hipster wooter before amazon thought it was cool

codemac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codemac

No-Edges brownie: Get a circular pan, and a wet towel. Place the wet towel around the outside ring of the pan, and then place parchment paper around in front of the wet towel. Place brownie mix inside, and bake normally. The wet towel will keep the outside ring moist. If it doesn't work out for you, consider cooking at lower and lower temperatures for longer periods of time so the towel's moisture lasts for the entire baking period.

As to the point that this is not the perfect edges brownie pan, it most certainly is. The heat would transfer very quickly throughout all of the touching metal pieces, thus drying out the middle lines of the brownie pan.

NukedSRT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NukedSRT

I'm with the no-edge camp.

My wife reports that Stoneware Bar Pans (Pampered Chef and others) work great to minimize the edge effect, and I bet that using codemac's wet towel method with a Bar Pan may be the perfect trick.

The sooner edges become extinct, the better!!

badboypolar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badboypolar

I never realized brownies could divide people. A woot divided cannot stand, or something like that. I think that the normal baking method should stand and everyone goes home happy.

Now if you could please woot both pans at the same time.

billdoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billdoe

I'm all about the all edges pan. Block off one little part and it makes a big block S brownie. Go State!!! (you can decide which state for yourself.)

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69

That commercial was just awesome! Who knew cutting brownies and gettin them out of the pan was so dang difficult?
I did want to punch that voice-over guy in the face tho. For some reason I found him annoying.

hooray beer!

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
bacontaco wrote:The all edges brownie pan is a great idea, but they charge WAAAAAY to much for them... I think last time I came across them they were $35.

Maybe the woot gods could buy a ton of them and sell them here for a better price.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
lplady wrote:Maybe the woot gods could buy a ton of them and sell them here for a better price.

Agreed. Good idea, but not for $35.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

I was just thinking this morning about buying the perfect brownie thing.

I might just have to drop the extra 15 and get the all edges.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

goatcrapp

quality posts: 17 Private Messages goatcrapp
fjordless wrote:Could one fill Perfect Brownie with cake batter to make rectangular bastardized cupcakes (i.e., sans cup)?

yes - those are called "slices" lol.

akakin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages akakin
Azuaron wrote:I am unconvinced the perfect brownie thing actually provides four edges per brownie. You can see on the all-edges brownie pan that the heat can get up between the curves, and that's what makes the edges delicious. The perfect brownie thing may have "patent pending technology," but it really just looks like you'd end up with true brownie edges around the outside, and standard inside pieces with no edges on the inside.

I agree. To get the real edges, the pan must have heat on it from the oven. The metal insert simply submerges into the batter, which prevents effective "edge cooking" since all sides are insulated by the batter. The orthogonal serpentine pan allows air channels to provide heated airflow, thereby creating a truly cooked edge, not simply nicely divided squares.

akakin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages akakin

I agree. To get the real edges, the pan must have heat on it from the oven. The metal insert simply submerges into the batter, which prevents effective "edge cooking" since all sides are insulated by the batter. The orthogonal serpentine pan allows air channels to provide heated airflow, thereby creating a truly cooked edge, not simply nicely divided squares.