shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu

A brief explanation, for those who may be experiencing sudden withdrawal from Deals woot, or feeling as though everyone is ignoring you (we're not), there's a bit of a technical glitch in the internet, and it looks like the clouds are busted for certain folks, just right now.

The technical issue is that UltraDNS seems to have gone belly up around 4:44, which means that as the DNS information for Deals fades out of the DNS cache for people, the site becomes unreachable. The Amazon Cloud (yes, it's true, Deals is cloudy) is apparently dependent directly or indirectly on the DNS servers that are supplied by UltraDNS. There's a lot more, but I can see the eyelids drooping for some of you.

Hope that helped.

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

Hobbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hobbit

But it does only seem to be affecting certain regions of the US as the East Coast is still online and active on deals.woot.

Catbertthegreat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Catbertthegreat
shrdlu wrote:A brief explanation, for those who may be experiencing sudden withdrawal from Deals woot, or feeling as though everyone is ignoring you (we're not), there's a bit of a technical glitch in the internet, and it looks like the clouds are busted for certain folks, just right now.

The technical issue is that UltraDNS seems to have gone belly up around 4:44, which means that as the DNS information for Deals fades out of the DNS cache for people, the site becomes unreachable. The Amazon Cloud (yes, it's true, Deals is cloudy) is apparently dependent directly or indirectly on the DNS servers are UltraDNS. There's a lot more, but I can see the eyelids drooping for some of you.

Hope that helped.

We the west coast have returned and amazon's cloud is in the sky again.

shrdlu

Hobbit wrote:But it does only seem to be affecting certain regions of the US as the East Coast is still online and active on deals.woot.

Right. For those who are following along, and know DNS, UltraDNS is anycast, so most places (and most things depending on them) won't be affected. I know that this took out everything from Seattle on down to SoCal, but I have no data on how far east it extends.

When I say "took out everything" I am ONLY referring to the subset of DNS servers from UltraDNS that serve those areas.

Fascinating stuff.

shrdlu

Catbertthegreat wrote:We the west coast have returned and amazon's cloud is in the sky again.

Wahoo, you speak the truth about the cloud. That's what anycast is supposed to do, but I guess the cloud stuff just took longer than most to move over.

Back to networky stuff, see you all in a bit.