slfree


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slfree

This is a quote from the FAQ page <<A statistically insignificant few of us are based in St. Louis, Missouri. >> << and >> have replaced " and "

If you get an order from Texas why not make the statistically insignificant few of you that are based in St. Louis, Missouri ship the item, then it won't have to be taxed because nobody in Texas would rat out a Texas company for giving them a break.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

The St Louis based bunch are the codeslaves. The warehouse is in Texas, thus, things get shipped from Texas... Heh, I think the codeslaves are busy enough with their own jobs that they're not gonna get into shipping.

Texans can't avoid tax, but woot does provide a perk with the TAXSUCKS coupon. It simply credits Texans the $5 shipping fee.

The taxsucks code works on items that are $40 and up, including shipping.

TAXSUCKS should work when ----> price + shipping > $39.99.

I know it doesn't make up for the tax on big items, but the coupon code "TAXSUCKS" essentially gives Texans free shipping on items ...it's a bit of a compensation for _still having to pay tax_."

(Yeah Texans come out ahead a few cents at this price point, hehe.)

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

And, bumping for the Texans. Carry on...

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
 gimmaroon wrote:
And, bumping for the Texans. Carry on...



Why do you want to bump off the Texans?!?

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Helterran


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Helterran

lol does it ever work?

if it works, I am using it... expecially i live in Dallas, TX

*looks around as Woot is next to my house* (J/K) ^_~

rcamper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcamper

It does work - well, almost. $5 discount for $5.77 in tax. Thanks woot! This rocks!

infallible


quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible

Oh! Good deal. I wish I had known about this a few Woots ago.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

Katanna


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Katanna

I live in Texas (Denton), and I have known about TAXSUCKS for a long time... and I use it often!
However, to say it cancels out your tax is incorrect... for me, it only gives you a $5 rebate on any order over $40... that Roomba I got had a lot of tax, and I only got $5 off... but I am not complaining, when the order is close to $40, you can actually SAVE money by using it!

Matthew

mikemcsweeny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikemcsweeny

Since woot! is also in MO, don't MO residents also have to pay sales tax?

The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam. --Slashdot

yaw4god_emt


quality posts: 16 Private Messages yaw4god_emt
 mikemcsweeny wrote:
Since woot! is also in MO, don't MO residents also have to pay sales tax?



SHH... people might be watching!

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

karmabox


quality posts: 1 Private Messages karmabox

This is awesome!!! I really wish I knew about this sooner. I'm in Allen and would be willing to pick up my packages if it weren't for the fact it would probably cost me the same in gas. Oh and they would probaby call the cops if wooters suddenly started showing up on their doorstep.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
 karmabox wrote:
This is awesome!!! I really wish I knew about this sooner. I'm in Allen and would be willing to pick up my packages if it weren't for the fact it would probably cost me the same in gas. Oh and they would probaby call the cops if wooters suddenly started showing up on their doorstep.




"Dag-blasted stalkers on the porch again, Luke . . . ya want I should blast at 'em with the rock salt some more?"

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

name_less


quality posts: 0 Private Messages name_less

another Texan here. i have used TAXSUCKS many times as well.

jmcachran


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmcachran
 mikemcsweeny wrote:
Since woot! is also in MO, don't MO residents also have to pay sales tax?



Nope, because the sale happens where the product is housed. This happens to be in Texas. Which sucks for us Texans who wish they would move a few miles up I-35 to Oklahoma.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
 jmcachran wrote:


Which sucks for us Texans who wish they would move a few miles up I-35 to Oklahoma.



LOL! Let's all get together and push that building over the state line!

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

gimmaroon wrote:I managed to delete my original post to this thread, heh. :p Since there is some confusion in today's item thread, I'm posting and bumping this thread, again.

updated info from the codeslaves:

Texans do not avoid tax with the TAXSUCKS coupon. It simply credits Texans the $5 shipping fee.

updated info* :fyi, the taxsucks code works on items that are $40 and up, including shipping.

TAXSUCKS should work when ----> price + shipping > $39.99.

I know it doesn't make up for the tax on big items, but the coupon code "TAXSUCKS" essentially gives Texans free shipping on items ...it's a bit of a compensation for _still having to pay tax_."

(Yeah Texans come out ahead a few cents at this price point, hehe.)



Bumping this correction for Texans.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

eugeart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eugeart

About the billing address: Is it related to the CC I'm using? I'm curious since I paid sales tax- because I live In TX and woot is based in Dallas. If I put a... Ahemm...uhhh... out of state billing address would I pay Tax? Or would the CC I use interfere? Just an academic exercise here in thought.

I mean, for instance, If I bought a bigscreen TV for 2 grand the taxes (8%+) make it unworthwile to shop on woot.

I just bought an Item too- can I amend the order to add the taxsucks coupon?

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

eugeart, I don't speak for woot, so these are just guesses based on being around for a while.
As for amending a current order, I would think that it's unlikely...or everyone would try to use it retroactively. That's a question for service@woot.com.

Now, ya' lil' sneak, I suspect that the shipping address is what matters, when tax is charged. I would think that's a matter of state law that doesn't have anything to do with your cc or billing address...

BUT hey, the taxsucks coupon would still save you $5 on the tv!

Other opinions?

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

Lazarus2


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lazarus2

gimmaroon, you's gots to watchout fur dem revenewers in Tejas. Why jus thishere week they got cusin Otis' 'shine

From the Notebook of Lazarus Long:
"Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it, all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. Keep your children short on pocket money -- but long on hugs."

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Lazarus2 wrote:gimmaroon, you's gots to watchout fur dem revenewers in Tejas. Why jus thishere week they got cusin Otis' 'shine



lol, that warning is more appropriate for eugeart. Ya' hear that, eugeart? Don't think about screwing with the Texas authorities.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

xxxchildofkornxxx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxxchildofkornxxx

I work for an electronics warehouse and we had a problem with scams a while back. People would order notebook computers then in shipping they would have the package re routed to their address.

So I believe this would be possible for us Texans. Setup the order to be shipped to a friend of family member in a different state. Once the order has been processed and has been charged to your card you should be able to amend the order. Change the shipping address to yourself in TEXAS!

I don’t know if this is legal or even possible but I know people have done it before.

WOOT FOR TEXAS

fulley3384


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fulley3384
xxxchildofkornxxx wrote:I work for an electronics warehouse and we had a problem with scams a while back. People would order notebook computers then in shipping they would have the package re routed to their address.

So I believe this would be possible for us Texans. Setup the order to be shipped to a friend of family member in a different state. Once the order has been processed and has been charged to your card you should be able to amend the order. Change the shipping address to yourself in TEXAS!

I don’t know if this is legal or even possible but I know people have done it before.

WOOT FOR TEXAS



A lot of companies make it manditory that the package ships to either the cc address or the paypal address to keep fraud away especially for smaller companies which can really get bitten on the ass... i know this because my company i work for is a medium sized business not to far from the woot guys in carrolton and thats a big security measure we use is cross checking shipping and billing addresses. Doesn't hurt to try, but dont get your hopes up!

Signed: Friendly Wooter from HCDI

xxxchildofkornxxx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxxchildofkornxxx

Yea I work for a Large conpany located in Richardson off of HWY 75 and Campbell. Im not sure if this is possable but I think i will try if something is wooted for under $5 in case i can not changed the ship to address. I dont want to loose some expensive product.

Has anyone try'ed this and how did it work out!

TooOldForThis


quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
slfree wrote:This is a quote from the FAQ page <<A statistically insignificant few of us are based in St. Louis, Missouri. >> << and >> have replaced " and "

If you get an order from Texas why not make the statistically insignificant few of you that are based in St. Louis, Missouri ship the item, then it won't have to be taxed because nobody in Texas would rat out a Texas company for giving them a break.



Ahem. Did it occur to you that if they start shipping from MO, they will then need to start charging sales tax to people in MO? And they will still need to charge sales tax to TX.

As I understand the law, you need to charge sales tax in any locality where you maintain a physical sales presence. As Gimma says, where the physical product is stored. If they start shipping from MO, they're establishing another location with physical product. They'll still have the one in TX so they'll still need to charge TX sales tax for orders shipped to Texas. If they don't, when the revenooers show up to audit woot!'s books, they'll see that woot! hasn't collected taxes on shipments to Texas, notice the honking big warehouse full of stuff, and hit woot! with back taxes, interest, and a big stinking fine.

That's why, when you order on-line from a major retailer (Sears, JC Penney, Radio Shack), you almost always pay sales tax, regardless of where the product is shipped from. They have sales offices almost everywhere, so they need to collect sales taxes almost everywhere. When you buy from someone located completely out of state, they don't need to charge sales tax. (You, on the other hand, are generally supposed to be a good taxpayer, report the out-of-state-transaction, and pay the sales tax directly to the state.)

TsuaSai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TsuaSai

Does not seem to work anymore

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

TsuaSai wrote:Does not seem to work anymore



gimmaroon wrote:<snip>

The taxsucks code works on items that are $40 and up, including shipping.

TAXSUCKS should work when ----> price + shipping > $39.99.
<snip>



If you only ordered one (of today's, at $24.99), then it shouldn't work, as explained earlier. If you ordered two or more, please confirm that here...and send an email to service@woot.com.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

badbob76015


quality posts: 0 Private Messages badbob76015

Does TAXSUCKS not woprk anymore?
We live in Texas & want to buy $75 of items.

ikishk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikishk
jmcachran wrote:Nope, because the sale happens where the product is housed. This happens to be in Texas. Which sucks for us Texans who wish they would move a few miles up I-35 to Oklahoma.


I prefer to pay tax than get the wrong product packed by okies Plus getting stuff the next day for "free" (w/ coupon) isnt a bad deal for texans (well, except el pisshole)

woot.wikia.com/wiki/Woot-Off_Checkers---woot.kishk.org
2008-8/10,7/15,6/27,6/15,6/3,4/15,2/18,1/29,1/15,
2007-12/7,12/7,12/7,11/16,10/19,7/20,7/19,7/13,7/12*,6/1^,5/22,5/14,5/11,4/30,4/26^,4/26,4/26,
4/1*,3/23^,3/22,3/21,3/16,3/2,1/31*,1/31,1/30,
2006-12/8^,12/7,12/7,11/16,11/16,11/13,10/13*,10/12,9/17,8/23,8/17,8/17,7/27,7/13,5/18
TAXSUCKS code for TX on orders over $40

iansltx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iansltx

*Dig*, *Dig*, *Dig*

TaxSucks still works. Too bad it just kills the shipping $5...even on $150 tax is like $8 more than shipping.

blocked


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blocked
jmcachran wrote:

Nope, because the sale happens where the product is housed. This happens to be in Texas. Which sucks for us Texans who wish they would move a few miles up I-35 to Oklahoma.



So then how about when the product isn't "housed" in Texas... See http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1246785 for an instance where the shipping label was generated in Texas, but the item actually shipped from California. It would seem the CA residents would need to pay tax on that item and TX residents wouldn't....

MyDogHasFleas


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MyDogHasFleas

I had a strange thing happen today. I wooted 3x the LG Bluetooth Headset. No, that's not the strange thing. Here's my receipt:

You ordered 3 LG HBM-710 Bluetooth Headset .
which each cost $12.99
for a subtotal of $38.97
plus tax + $3.22
plus shipping + $5.00
for a total of $47.19
and you used this coupon code:
TAXSUCKS

When I was at the "click this stupidly large button to buy" screen it showed a $5.00 discount for TAXSUCKS. But, when I bought it, the discount disappeared!

I emailed service@woot.com about this early this morning but no answer yet. Anyone here have a clue?

MyDogHasFleas


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MyDogHasFleas
MyDogHasFleas wrote:I had a strange thing happen today. I wooted 3x the LG Bluetooth Headset. No, that's not the strange thing. Here's my receipt:

You ordered 3 LG HBM-710 Bluetooth Headset .
which each cost $12.99
for a subtotal of $38.97
plus tax + $3.22
plus shipping + $5.00
for a total of $47.19
and you used this coupon code:
TAXSUCKS

When I was at the "click this stupidly large button to buy" screen it showed a $5.00 discount for TAXSUCKS. But, when I bought it, the discount disappeared!

I emailed service@woot.com about this early this morning but no answer yet. Anyone here have a clue?



Woot wrote back today and refunded my $5. I still don't know if this was an error on their part or what. Strange.

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
MyDogHasFleas wrote:Woot wrote back today and refunded my $5. I still don't know if this was an error on their part or what. Strange.



Probably just something with the programming of the coupon box.

It's always been REALLY finicky, especially with crediting HMs in the Photoshop Contest.

But Woot's always good at reimbursing you where credit's due.

theoneill555


quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

I hate the fact that Amazon obtained woot, now WA state has to pay sales tax.

Woot, how about enabling the TAXSUCKS code for us waterlogged peeps in WA?

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

Snyder81


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snyder81
theoneill555 wrote:I hate the fact that Amazon obtained woot, now WA state has to pay sales tax.

Woot, how about enabling the TAXSUCKS code for us waterlogged peeps in WA?



It looks like this works now for WA residents. Thanks Woot!

ksh71


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksh71

bump for those in texas

[Update] This now requires a minimum $45 purcahse

sadjar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sadjar

I just bought an air mattress with shipping+price it was 39.99
thats $0.01 less than $40 =(

esoterin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages esoterin

What about us whom live in Washington and have to pay Sales Tax! Can we have some love too. PLEASE

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

esoterin wrote:What about us whom live in Washington and have to pay Sales Tax! Can we have some love too. PLEASE


Sorry, we're no longer able to offer this code. Sucks. Sorry again.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders