pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I was at the library a couple times a week when I was growing up and probably into my 30s, maybe 40s. But not since then. Now I buy them all.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

In the south, they don't believe books are for anything other than burn'n. As a result the library doesn't have much to offer.

Still single, can't imagine why.

pooflady

FenStar wrote:In the south, they don't believe books are for anything other than burn'n. As a result the library doesn't have much to offer.

You're going to be in trouble when Joyner reads this.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Ours is under construction. They moved into a storefront while the construction is going on.
There are very few books in the storefront. They moved the kids books, and the video collection. Very little else. It is odd.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

Two replies, and neither of them has answered the question. The question wasn't that difficult and didn't ask for explanations.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
pooflady wrote:Two replies, and neither of them has answered the question. The question wasn't that difficult and didn't ask for explanations.

Have one; don't use it.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

I don't have a library card, but I do consider Hallmark a card library.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

I love to read, I have owned a library card since I was a little kid. I used the military libraries overseas quite a bit, most Army posts in Europe have a library and they are surprisingly well stocked with the latest bestsellers as well as older books. Since living in Poland I am without a library since I don't read Polish although my wife uses our local library regularly. I am going to donate my collection of paperbacks to the Polish library so they can have some books in English. In the meantime I can find books in English in a bookstore across the river in Germany and I am pretty sure there are some used bookstores in Berlin (about 60 miles from my house) that will have books in English. Sometimes my sister sends a care package of used paperbacks but postage costs more than the books! At this point I will read almost anything! I am looking into getting an e-reader.

My dogs like me, that is important.

dklenke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dklenke

Have one and use it.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
FenStar wrote:In the south, they don't believe books are for anything other than burn'n. As a result the library doesn't have much to offer.

You are in deep trouble, deep, deep trouble!!! For shame Fen! You haven't been to your local public library lately!

joyner

edlada wrote:I love to read, I have owned a library card since I was a little kid. I used the military libraries overseas quite a bit, most Army posts in Europe have a library and they are surprisingly well stocked with the latest bestsellers as well as older books. Since living in Poland I am without a library since I don't read Polish although my wife uses our local library regularly. I am going to donate my collection of paperbacks to the Polish library so they can have some books in English. In the meantime I can find books in English in a bookstore across the river in Germany and I am pretty sure there are some used bookstores in Berlin (about 60 miles from my house) that will have books in English. Sometimes my sister sends a care package of used paperbacks but postage costs more than the books! At this point I will read almost anything! I am looking into getting an e-reader.

Public Libraries here in the states often have e-books as part of their collections. You download them to your PC or e-reader and they time out in a couple of weeks. I bet your sister's library provides this service. PM me if you need more info.

joyner

pooflady wrote:I was at the library a couple times a week when I was growing up and probably into my 30s, maybe 40s. But not since then. Now I buy them all.

What do you do with your books after you read them?

pooflady

joyner wrote:What do you do with your books after you read them?

If I like them, I keep them. I have a lot of books that I've read four or five times. If it's not a keeper, it gets passed on. And I have several people that give me books, too.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
joyner wrote:You are in deep trouble, deep, deep trouble!!! For shame Fen! You haven't been to your local public library lately!

They started looking funny at him when he went into the kids room to get the books he could read.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

sometimes I buy books, sometimes I go to the library. No way I could afford to buy all the books I read.

pooflady

I don't like hardbacks, I prefer paperbacks. Probably beause it was pounded into me not to mistreat books. I leave them open, which can break the spines, and I dogear them.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
joyner wrote:Public Libraries here in the states often have e-books as part of their collections. You download them to your PC or e-reader and they time out in a couple of weeks. I bet your sister's library provides this service. PM me if you need more info.

I have a library card, and keep meaning to use it more.

I tend to buy books. Sometimes I sell them at the half price bookstore.

I have used the electronic library and downloaded books before - and I find that a VERY cool thing that libraries are doing these days.

you can check out audio books that way also.

joyner

kdccrosby wrote:I have a library card, and keep meaning to use it more.

I tend to buy books. Sometimes I sell them at the half price bookstore.

I have used the electronic library and downloaded books before - and I find that a VERY cool thing that libraries are doing these days.

you can check out audio books that way also.

We love audio books when we travel. We listen in the car. It makes the trip fly by.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

We (Orc and I) each have a library card. Orc has his library card number memorized because he is always reserving stuff. Orc goes to the library once a week with Ver2 and Ver3 (I'd go with, but I volunteer at the school about that same time.) Ver1 will go to the library when school is out for the summer and during spring break, since we usually go during school hours. Ver1 is probably old enough to be responsible for not losing her own card, but the check out max is rather high and we've only maxed out both cards once so far.

I always stock up on audiobooks (usually CD, but I know we have a limited download service) before road trips. Orc likes to get a movie every week or so.

I rarely used the library growing up (well I used the elementary school library), but we didn't really have one either. It was in the city and about a 45 min drive with, as my mom would say, no parking. It was a huge library and since we almost never went there I never knew where to go. We did get a branch library about 20 mins away when I was in high school and after I could drive I went there a few times to try to find the genre of books I like (I didn't have a clue what that was) and for research, but most of the research material was still at the big library or what passed for a University in that town's library - across the street from the big city library. My high school, I guess had a library, but it didn't have much that wasn't required reading in the classes.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

I was an voracious reader brought up in a household of avid readers.My dad would make a trip to the library every two or three weeks to load up on books and take us kids along with him. As a result I was reading at a high school level while I was in elementary school and college level early in high school. I did have a card as soon as I could get one and kept one until I moved to Texas.I read everything I could get my hands on until about 10 years ago, I find I don't have the attention span any more to sit and read a whole lot at a sitting. I don't think the library here is very good however I do have access to the university's library, I just don't use it.

In the end only kindness matters

pooflady

Growing up (let's say 10+) the public library was within walking distance. (Of course, most everything in my town was within walking distance.) And the middle/high school had a pretty good library, too. Always had a stack of library books around me.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Growing up, I had a library card and used it whenever I could talk my parents into taking me. Both parents were readers, so there were lots of books around, and I read everything. Literally. I spent one summer reading a 28-book animal encyclopedia set.

I had a library card in Wyoming--library was a great resource for DIY books and magazines.

I also used the AF library, since it was cheaper and most of my books were in storage.

Now, I have a kindle. Umm, ok, I have 3 kindles, plus it's on my laptop and my phone. I still buy 'real' books, when it's something I like, or by a favorite author, but I much prefer my kindle. It's so much easier to carry along. Fabulous for travel, since I can take one thin kindle and have something to read the whole trip, rather then fussing with multiple books.

I might get a library card here.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I had one for the city in which the other house was located but didn't use. Don't have one for the current city.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joyner

Mavyn wrote:Growing up, I had a library card and used it whenever I could talk my parents into taking me. Both parents were readers, so there were lots of books around, and I read everything. Literally. I spent one summer reading a 28-book animal encyclopedia set.

I had a library card in Wyoming--library was a great resource for DIY books and magazines.

I also used the AF library, since it was cheaper and most of my books were in storage.

Now, I have a kindle. Umm, ok, I have 3 kindles, plus it's on my laptop and my phone. I still buy 'real' books, when it's something I like, or by a favorite author, but I much prefer my kindle. It's so much easier to carry along. Fabulous for travel, since I can take one thin kindle and have something to read the whole trip, rather then fussing with multiple books.

I might get a library card here.

Three kindles!!!! Good grief!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
joyner wrote:Three kindles!!!! Good grief!

I know, a bit excessive.

But...I got one when they were first introduced. Gen 1. Loved it. Used it all the time. In shipping costs and the lower price of kindle books, it paid for itself in 6 months.

Then the DX came out. Ooo, shiny. Bigger screen, better for reading technical manuals. Got it, use it mostly at work.

The third is a Gen 3, smaller and thinner, better battery, better controls. Massive improvement over Gen 1. My sister has a kindle now too, so we share books, making it an even bigger savings.

When I moved, the ONLY thing the movers complained about were the boxes of books. And that's after I downsized my collections to tech books, collectibles, and signed editions.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

I used my quite a bit for quite a while. I got some late fees (I returned everything, plus I was planning on paying it) but the jerks didn't even send me a notice... just sent my late fees to a collection agency.

Tacked extra on.

Quite irritating. Probably won't be going back there... it's fine though... it's in a horrible part of town.

I swear most of the people there just use it for the free internet computers. Wouldn't even notice if there weren't any books.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

pooflady

genericsmith wrote:I used my quite a bit for quite a while. I got some late fees (I returned everything, plus I was planning on paying it) but the jerks didn't even send me a notice... just sent my late fees to a collection agency.

Tacked extra on.

Quite irritating. Probably won't be going back there... it's fine though... it's in a horrible part of town.

I swear most of the people there just use it for the free internet computers. Wouldn't even notice if there weren't any books.

Wow, never heard of library fees going to a collection agency!

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
pooflady wrote:Wow, never heard of library fees going to a collection agency!

Yeah, like I said... not the best part of town... they actually have a lot of DVDs, and a DVD/Video Game dispenser machine... I've spotted quite a few of the video games from the machine at our local used game stores.

Scum.

The people that sell them, not the games stores... They had no idea. Of course there was a barcode so it had to come from SOMEWHERE. *shrug*

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
FenStar wrote:In the south, they don't believe books are for anything other than burn'n.

... they're used for sumptin' else?

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Had one for LA Public Library, but I don't think it's good anymore. I also have one for UCLA and UCSD, but don't use them since they're inconvenient for me to get to.

I don't have one for the City I actually live in, though.

Most of my books I buy anyways, though - I could probably make do without buying them, but the idea that some day down the line I might want to use one for reference or refer back to (actually, this isn't all that rare - probably happens 4 or 5 times a month) it just keeps me from using a library more.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

I use my library card with so much frequency that I have the number memorized: 23133905340446.

My library gets new movies on DVD, and if I'm quick enough, I can get in line and see them within a few weeks after they are released. Also they have tons of books on CD that I listen to as I drive to and from work.

It's cheaper than Redbox!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

I have one, but I rarely use it.
Not for lack of desire, but because of our libraries' lack of selection.
Most of the books I read I buy or borrow from my mom who buys a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
kenney9226 wrote:It's cheaper than Redbox!

Well, it was until I used your card number and I got ~50 books out under your name. Good luck with late fees! :p

Still single, can't imagine why.

KikiinMud

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KikiinMud

I have a card & so does my husband.
I use mine all the time. I went on a cleaning binge & sent a bunch of books to either Goodwill or donated back to the library.

I check out books, movies & cds. I don't need to memorize my card #, the computer does that for me.
My branch doesn't have a huge selection, but they have a great county wide inter-library loan system. I pick a book & put it on my request list & then it shows up sometime later.

joyner

pooflady wrote:Wow, never heard of library fees going to a collection agency!

New thing. I didn't like it. I didn't think it would be cost effective. New Director is trying it.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
KikiinMud wrote:I have a card & so does my husband.
I use mine all the time. I went on a cleaning binge & sent a bunch of books to either Goodwill or donated back to the library.

I check out books, movies & cds. I don't need to memorize my card #, the computer does that for me.
My branch doesn't have a huge selection, but they have a great county wide inter-library loan system. I pick a book & put it on my request list & then it shows up sometime later.

That's why my husband has his card number memorized, he doesn't always use the same computer to reserve the books/movies/audiobooks. I'd say 90% of the not-for-the-kids books we check out (although some are JFic) are reserved. They just email when it's in and email a reminder to bring it back.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

no1

KtCallista wrote:That's why my husband has his card number memorized, he doesn't always use the same computer to reserve the books/movies/audiobooks. I'd say 90% of the not-for-the-kids books we check out (although some are JFic) are reserved. They just email when it's in and email a reminder to bring it back.

our liberry system you can use either your card number or a username you picked.

pooflady

no1 wrote:our liberry system you can use either your card number or a username you picked.

So all I have to do is find a library where the username is No1, and sit around and wait.

no1

pooflady wrote:So all I have to do is find a library where the username is No1, and sit around and wait.

tip: try lurking in the children's section. it makes the parents nervous!

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy