Quality Posts

coolphilip04

quality posts: 8 Private Messages coolphilip04

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Does this play Angry Birds?

malkav11

quality posts: 9 Private Messages malkav11
cowboyesfan wrote:Does this play Angry Birds?

Not only does it play Angry Birds, but it's preinstalled.

conhopper

quality posts: 19 Private Messages conhopper

cnet calls it "good"
others call it "very good"

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/viewsonic-g-tablet/4505-3126_7-34431221.html

Beware though. These things were recalled due to a manufacturing defect in December. I'm hoping these aren't those, and I'm hoping the problem in those was fixed.

derp

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops

Everyone who owns this tablet will all make one [recurring] point...

It's an AMAZING tablet, more than worth the price.

BUT the firmware SUCKS out of the box, and you'll need to take 45 minutes or so and install a custom rom like Vegan or TnT lite.

Petey Thaseatesmyne

enaybee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enaybee

yes and in fullscreen where game scale correctly to screen size

Woots to Date:
    Random Crap: 2008 Calendar Edition, Netgear 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter, Razer m100 Pro|Solutions Protone Earphone, Archos 504 40GB PMP with Travel Adaptor, Linksys WUSB11 Wireless Adaptor - 2 Pack, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre Moon Phase Watch, Sandisk Memory Stick Pro 512MB – 2 Pack, Kensington Optical Wireless Mouse – 2 Pack, Jensen 300 Watt 2 Outlet Power Inverter, RCA Lyra 512MB MP3 player + FM Modulator X 2

jbgroup1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jbgroup1

Does it support WPA/WPA2 enterprise?

Chi. Yes, I want you to do something for me. I want you to go in my room, look over my suits, in the ceiling, up on the ceiling you'll see a key stuck there. I want you to take it down and bring it to me. Meet me at the Total Experience in one halfa hour. Can you dig it?

cybersheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybersheep

Not the iOS versions.

malkav11

I'm still very much enjoying the one I bought back in March. You should root it and flash it with a custom ROM (I'm using Vegan Tab) but otherwise it's a nice tablet at a good price.

happypuppy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages happypuppy

Uh oh... here comes the "viewing angles suck" debate.

Trypa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Trypa

The reviews for this unit at Amazon say very good things, but there's a couple small trouble spots you might watch out for if you're picky about specifics.

cheesecakeh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cheesecakeh

Pros:
-It's cheap
-It's powerful for the price
-Many custom roms available (fairly easy to install if you can follow directions)
-Lots of fun, looks beautiful.

Cons:
-Shoddy viewing angle (could be a pro - free privacy screen!)
-Slightly limited app selection (certain apps won't work on gtab roms, e.g. facebook app)

I bought one and I do not regret it.

coolphilip04

quality posts: 8 Private Messages coolphilip04

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=841 A community that will help you root and drop a custom ROM into your tablet and recommend other things.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Bought one of these last time they were on Woot. Very easy to root and install custom firmware. It runs games great with the Nvidia Tegra chip.

Unfortunately, the horrendous viewing angle of the screen is its demise. If this had a decent screen, it would be one of the better tablets out there. Its still the best bang for the buck tablet out there though.

EDIT: Fixed typo 'customer firmware'

cybersheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybersheep

Am patiently waiting for Asus Transformer...

bvbooks

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bvbooks

here's a Digital Digest review on the Youtubes...

Digital Digest

And yes, they complain about viewing angle but seem to like a lot of other features.

jfarlik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfarlik

FYI...if you have an android phone you will LOVE the g-tablet (once you load a better rom on it) I am personally running vegan tab 5.1.1 which is Froyo and it runs quick and great. For under $30 you can get a full Carbon fiber skin and good screen protector. Lots of activity on XDA. My only complaint is that the viewing angle on the screen especially in landscape (the way it is supposed to be used) is pretty narrow, but not horrible. Let's be honest though a full featured tablet for $285 I would be buying a second one if i didn't just get a $500 speeding ticket (FYI speeding in GA sucks only 16 over the limit)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=841

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechSkin-Invisible-Protector-Viewsonic/dp/B003F8UJAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304744647&sr=8-1

Talesin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Talesin

Picked one of these up last time; well worth the purchase price. Works great, handles some of the heavier applications out there without a problem, especially if you root it and toss on the VEGAn-Tab ROM or CyanogenMod 7. No 'protection' needing to be bypassed, effectively rooted right out of the box.

Also, the off-center screen is actually really handy when using it in portrait mode, gives you a nice big chunk to grip without accidentally tapping something on the screen.

Battery life is damn good, the speakers are.. adequate (if lacking bass, as all tiny horns do). The full-size USB port is excellent. Plug in a USB hub, and then a keyboard and mouse to that. Option of a docking station is nifty too.
Yes, it does support WPA/WPA2, though some people have reported poor reception; I can see my home network from a good block away.

Only problems? The screen's viewing angle... it's pretty bad for multiple-person viewing, but if it's just you, generally it's fine. That and the fact that the touch-buttons aren't backlit.. only really a problem if you're in a very dark room; I just hold a hand nearby and bounced light from the screen is enough to see them fine. And that it doesn't charge over mini-USB; you have to plug it in with its own adapter.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
happypuppy wrote:Uh oh... here comes the "viewing angles suck" debate.

Its not even a debate. They do suck.

scootside

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scootside

nice tablet but personally I like the 7 inch form factor better. great price but i will stick with the playbook for now.

vudutek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vudutek

bought one of these during the last wootoff. since then, 3 co-workers have bought one as well. it's that awesome.

as mentioned previously, load custom ROM to replace the factory build on it, you won't regret it.

cliveholloway

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliveholloway
DrChops wrote:Everyone who owns this tablet will all make one [recurring] point...

It's an AMAZING tablet, more than worth the price.

BUT the firmware SUCKS out of the box, and you'll need to take 45 minutes or so and install a custom rom like Vegan or TnT lite.

And the screen isn't great. I hear that it may be improved by adding a skinomi protective screen protector (on my todo list)

Having said that, I'm pretty addicted to mine now I have Vegan Tab installed.

tp546

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp546

i dont get how woot keeps doing this:

With is 1080p playback resolution, sharing entertainment and photos on this gorgeous display is truly a delight

and then....

RESOLUTIONS: 1024x600 resolution

am i missing something? they have been doing a lot of this lately. that is not even 720p, let alone 1080p.

cheesecakeh

I run Vegan 5.11. Here are several apps that I installed on it:

-Gameboid Lite
-ROMs (for GBA)
-Bank of America
-AIM
-PewPew
-Angry Birds/AB Rio
-Dolphin Browser
-Google Apps
-Wolfram Alpha
-WootWatcher
-Amazon.com / Newegg / IMDB

All work very well. I bought mine from woot about a 5 weeks ago.

utterer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages utterer

Great tablet for the price... As soon as you put a firmware that isn't the one that ships with it on there. Very easy to install, hard to brick this thing. Developer community is highly active! The screen is not as big an issue as people make it out to be. Viewable at fairly reasonable angles.

Tons of crap you can do with this tablet.

Most recently I have been using DoubleTwist to share out the music and movies on my tablet to my PS3 while PSN is (still) down. No wires!

ba1980

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ba1980

I got one after it was for sale here about 1 month ago. Although I couldn't make up my mind at the time Woot had it so I got it from Tigerdirect, but it is the same tablet.

Yes it plays Angry Birds (all flavors).

I played around with the stock firmware and didn't think it was too bad. I was new to Android and had an Ipod Touch before this.

About a week into it, I rooted and loaded TNT Lite 4.4 on it though. Loving it ever since.

Love that I only spent $300 and it is 10". My mom has a Nook Color so I've compared the Gtablet to the Nook and I like the screen on the Nook better, but I love the size of the Gtablet more. I would choose a Gtablet over a Nook color since it fits my usage better. If I was getting it mainly for reading books, I'd go with a Nook Color.

edit:
Someone above posted the facebook app doesn't work on it. It may not straight out of the box, but if you load a different ROM on it. (I had to do a market fix to the FB app to show up, but I have it working now).

Canon 7D, 40D - Canon 100-400mm L IS, 1.5x Kenko TC, Canon 500mm f4 L IS, 60mm Macro

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49

Great tablet, great buy ... if you're a tinkerer.

Trypa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Trypa

jfarlik

jbgroup1 wrote:Does it support WPA/WPA2 enterprise?

Only PSK at least on Vegan 5.1.1

enaybee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enaybee

I own this tablet and find it worthless with the stock firmware. Screen is really bad and has very narrow viewing angles. Unless you are looking straight at it you can't see anything. Android touch keys are not backlit so you can use this in dark. No android market access. USB port has just started working with the most recent firmware update. Front facing cam is useless and no software that I have tried including Fring, QIK etc work. So no video conferencing either. All in all, bone stock g tablet is really bad.

However, its a great developer device. Nothing is locked on it and there are atleast 5 or 6 custom ROM available which make this tablet very very good and useful. You can then install all google apps and have access to android market.

I hope google releases Honeycomb AOSP files soon so that this could get updated to Honeycomb and then it will become a pretty decent tablet ofcourse screen would still be the same. People who are not interested in tinkering with the firmware and have never heard of xda-developers should stay away from this tablet.

Woots to Date:
    Random Crap: 2008 Calendar Edition, Netgear 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter, Razer m100 Pro|Solutions Protone Earphone, Archos 504 40GB PMP with Travel Adaptor, Linksys WUSB11 Wireless Adaptor - 2 Pack, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre Moon Phase Watch, Sandisk Memory Stick Pro 512MB – 2 Pack, Kensington Optical Wireless Mouse – 2 Pack, Jensen 300 Watt 2 Outlet Power Inverter, RCA Lyra 512MB MP3 player + FM Modulator X 2

jfarlik

cheesecakeh wrote:Pros:
-It's cheap
-It's powerful for the price
-Many custom roms available (fairly easy to install if you can follow directions)
-Lots of fun, looks beautiful.

Cons:
-Shoddy viewing angle (could be a pro - free privacy screen!)
-Slightly limited app selection (certain apps won't work on gtab roms, e.g. facebook app)

I bought one and I do not regret it.

Facebook works fine if you load vegan or some other Rom

utterer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages utterer
tp546 wrote:i dont get how woot keeps doing this:

With is 1080p playback resolution, sharing entertainment and photos on this gorgeous display is truly a delight

and then....

am i missing something? they have been doing a lot of this lately. that is not even 720p, let alone 1080p.

It will play back 1080p encoded files even though it isn't the actual size. There is also a dock connector that does HDMI out. Not sure of the max resolution on that though.

juicius

quality posts: 42 Private Messages juicius

You should be prompted for one or two OTA firmware updates once you power it on. Unless you plan on installing custom ROMs -- in fact unless you are CERTAIN you plan on installing custom ROMs -- update the firmware. That's because the latest firmware update apparently branches away from the existing line and locks the tablet down. And it is no longer necessary to install the custom ROMs on it. The newest update is actually very stable and useable. I installed a custom ROM because I really wanted google Market and other apps AND because I wanted to tinker. If I had wanted just one of the two, I probably would not have modded. The new firmware is that good.

malkav11

It's worth noting that there are now release candidate custom ROMs of Gingerbread (Android 2.3), so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a full fledged Gingerbread release (or two or three) in the next month or two. Honeycomb will undoubtedly be a priority the moment Google releases the source but they've yet to do so.

cheesecakeh

and then....

The dock has an HDMI out port, so it technically can play 1080p.. just not on its own screen.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

Viewsonic has an apdate to the tapntap that is supposed to reduce how bad it sucks. They also vanilla android 2.2 posted.

juicius

quality posts: 42 Private Messages juicius

and then....

Yes. You are. There are no tablets out there with 1920x1080 resolution. What the spec means is that the video hardware and codec are capable of decoding and playing 1080p video file and if you connect it to a 1080p HDTV, you'll be able to watch the 1080p goodness.

Besides, 1080p on a 10" or so screen is just... pointless.

Spectral

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Spectral

What is the proprietary port for? I see it in both the description and the image, but nowhere does it mention what to do with it.

Edit: looks like it's the dock connector / HDMI output.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt