0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
$79.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Klintor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Klintor

Just to let you guys know, the company that makes these has gone under, and therefore custom content updates that used to be pushed by them (news, etc for the Dualbook) no longer function.

124c41

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

eskimowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eskimowoot
Klintor wrote:Just to let you guys know, the company that makes these has gone under, and therefore custom content updates that used to be pushed by them (news, etc for the Dualbook) no longer function.

Kind of glad. This thing looks OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!.

phacopida

quality posts: 65 Private Messages phacopida

I like the stylus and note-taking possibilities. Can anyone report on how well it performs?

abramokids

quality posts: 16 Private Messages abramokids

These are pretty cool. Bought it last time around. The app store is closed, but you can still get apps from google. Also the e-ink reader is crisp and clear. Definitely a good deal!

outz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outz

Man. Now I wish I didn't buy that hp touchpad for $90 shipped!

fruithead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fruithead

can someone who actually has this talk about it a little? it really seems like this product is overreaching..............

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

Ah, yes. One of those....iPad killers. Just like the HP. There seem to be many killers littering the highway these days.

gojoe86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gojoe86

YEah guys, I would maybe buy it, but saw mixed reviews, and don't know much about it... Does it work well? What are some good uses for it?

abramokids

quality posts: 16 Private Messages abramokids

I haven't had much of a chance to truly play around with it since it was my mom's, but she asked me to help her download books which was a smooth and fairly simple process. Browser is pretty good too.

lenzflare

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lenzflare

Never again. Never.

Bought one of these the first time it was on woot, and I was thrilled with it for the first week. After that I began to realize the limitations imposed by the sluggish hardware and dated OS. It does what it was made to do--reading, music, etc.--but not smoothly. The whole thing just feels really slow.

Worst of all, after a month or so of use, the e-ink side just stopped working. I tried everything, including taking it apart. I eventually gave up and trashed it.

I think the idea has potential, but the backing behind the product itself is too small to warrant a purchase of $80.

Llen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Llen

Seeing this makes me sad the Courier never went into production.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I just sold my previously wooted! Pocket Edge on Craigslist last week for $80!

What I liked about it was, of course, the dual screen and fact that it ran Android decently fast for a cheap tablet. The resistive touchscreen is a lot more responsive than many of the other cheap tablets I have used. There is a lot of support forums and an active community, which I am sure others will post links for here, to allow Android Market installation etc.

What I didn't like about it was that the e-ink screen is very slow to redraw and when using it to write on it lags behind the stylus quite a bit. It doesn't have any kind of accelerometer so rotating the screen has to be done manually with a button, very annoying. It can not be charged through USB, only with the wall wart that it comes with. It runs Angry birds, although it struggles along while doing so. Because it is resistive and not multi-touch games that require pinching, dragging, or using on on screen joypad are not going to work, so don't plan on doing too much gaming. It plays words with friends just fine however.

At this price, its a good deal and anyone who wants a cheap tablet (and expects what you would get for a cheap tablet, this is not a iPad, Transformer, etc) will be happy with it.

wateriestfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wateriestfire
phacopida wrote:I like the stylus and note-taking possibilities. Can anyone report on how well it performs?

I own 2 of these and think they're really good at taking notes/dreading and even browsing the web. If you search around on the community page this was updated to group before the collapse of the company.

It isn't anywhere near as fast as nowaday tablets, (processor is limited to 800mhz) but in my opinion, it is far more useful. As it fills a big gap between ipad clones and ereaders

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

Can you use both the Nook and Kindle software on this e-reader?

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

Aminhas91

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aminhas91
Krumlov wrote:Can you use both the Nook and Kindle software on this e-reader?

Yes you can.

Also I'd recommend it. Even though the company went down, the community is still up and running.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

It is a pretty awesome device.

---
One Love

dundey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dundey
fruithead wrote:can someone who actually has this talk about it a little? it really seems like this product is overreaching..............

It's a nice product, I use it all the time on short trips. The e-reader is as good as any out there and you can use google or amazon to download books.

The web browser is just OK since it has Android 1.6.
There is an upgrade to Ermine (Froyo 2.2) possible through 3rd party sites. Since I upgraded, the tablet works great and is as good as most of the less expensive ones out there (its NOT an Ipad) for email / simple web browsing.
Boots up quick and is easy to use.
I like mine and don't think you can do much better for the price.

jessieturner

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jessieturner

If it runs google does that mean I can browse eBay with it or search the Internet etc? How about card games like pogo or has it no flash capabilities? Appreciate the help, thanks in advance .

82bluevette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 82bluevette

I bought 2 of these for for my 11 and 12 year olds to use as readers/email devices. I was able to install an updated software that made them more usable before the company closed down.

One of the tablets got very warm-not hot- during charging and is now unable to display content on the tablet side. White Screen of Death only. Which I have read is not uncommon. There is no way to get the tablet serviced.

The Device itself is ok. it lacks g-sensor, and is a bit underpowered and struggles to run all but the most basic apps without problems.

touch screen is resistive and requires a pretty firm touch to work properly and is made of plastic. will be hazy in short order.

If the Tablet side dies. Reader is no longer usable.

Conclusion- If you have a good phone (Evo, Droid, iPhone) you will not like it.

marisano

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marisano
Spiky wrote:Ah, yes. One of those....iPad killers. Just like the HP. There seem to be many killers littering the highway these days.

I don't think this thing was ever positioned as an iPad killer. First, it was released before the iPad, and second, it seemed to have been directed toward academics/students. That is, as an e-reader with real note taking capabilities.

Oh. I lied about the release dates. It was the Edge (full-sized) that was released before the iPad (in March 2010). This unit - the pocket eDGe - was released in November 2010, to iPad's April 2010 release date.

johnjps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnjps

Wow. Can't pass it up... worth it just to play around with even if Entourage is no more.

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

I got mine the last time. I upgraded the OS(really simply to do) and it works so much better. Amazon has a really nice app store, and while some don't work with this, many do. The Mobile Read forums at mobileread are invaluable.

www.howlingdead.com

lordfluffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lordfluffy

From my experience owning one I can say the following:

Pluses:
-Access the Amazon App store just fine
-E-reader is cool and taking notes is okay.
-Nook books can be read on the e-ink side
-Great portable internet device for checking email and watching YouTube videos

Minuses:
-Lack of support means you have to rely on user forums
-Kindle books can only be read on the LED screen
-Battery life is passable for a tablet but abysmall for an e-reader
-Won't run Google Appstore; people are searching for a workaround
-No GPS or accelerameter

My bottom line:
If you want to surf the web, read documents, read e-books and listen to music, this will do all that and more. It's a jack of all trades, master of none.

I am seriously tempted to get a second one as a backup. I'll be very sad when this is gone, if for no other reason there's nothing like it on the market and should mine eventually fail, I'll want both an e-reader and a tablet to keep with me.

lawson56

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lawson56

Can I do website/catalog purchases and play POGO games on this?

82bluevette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 82bluevette

Battery life is very good. make sure to fully charge it the first time you plug it in. We get 9 hours or so on the one still working.

eReader is Very good. My kids were using these for school. Being able to read on on screen and look in the dictionary or google on the other is great.

For the price today- decent deal. there are some shortcoming, and a quick google search for white screen of death will tell you what I have experienced with one of the two tablets I bought.(see earlier post)

SimMayor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SimMayor

I got one of these for my birthday a couple weeks back ($50 more, grrrrr!) because it's something I've been wanting since I first saw it on Woot! I've updated the OS and fiddled around with the root a bit to optimise battery life, which is really what I wanted it for, the fact that since the company went under you have a toy you can play with any way you want without voiding a warranty or violating TOS.

And that's really what you need to expect when you buy this: a toy. It will never be your main computing device (it's not even my secondary, I'm writing this on a Wooted 8" Linuxed netbook I got for almost the same reasons), but it's fun to have and to travel with, it works decently well for the basic things you'll want to do with it, but it's definitely a tertiary amusement, something to leave on the couch by the tv to check out your walkthroughs while you play video games, etc.

I copied my recipes to the e-reader side so I can bring them to the kitchen with me. Don't look for too much more than that and you'll be quite happy.

gamanit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamanit

I was considering buying this for making sheets for my students, and for drawing pictures. How well would it perform for that?

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze

I got a red one last time around. I was unable to get google android apps to work and everything I read said it was impossible, but Amazon apps work good and they have many free, and a paid app for free every day. Most apps work but not all. The pocket edge plays xvid videos fine unless they're encoded with 5.1 channel sound. If you're looking for free books, go to easynews and search for files with the "epub" extension. I didn't like the way pdf's show up on the eink side, too small! Overall, I think it's a great product at a very good price, but mine still works.

thedpq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedpq

In for one after watching one of the videos. You can draw on your documents in the eReader side and i can't tell you how much paper i waste at school because i like scribbling all over my papers/notes.

2 of my classes have the book online in a PDF so maybe i won't have to drain my battery on my laptop and have to keep running around looking for an outlet to charge it.

I write a lot of study and in-class notes in google docs and while browsing on the iPhone works for studying on the go this will make a HUGE difference.

Not going to be life changing but it think its a perfect middle ground between my phone and laptop. Worse case its just a big block i carry around to charge my iPhone on the go. ;)

We're all here because we're not all there

gojoe86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gojoe86

I guess I'll wait until the morning to possibly buy it, to make sure that it would be useful and last a bit...

fxfuji

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fxfuji
eskimowoot wrote:Kind of glad. This thing looks OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!.

Anything but. Many people have mentioned to me they think the dual screens are cool and are disappointed when I tell them that the company is no longer in business.

dgbatchelor

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dgbatchelor
KyserSoze wrote:I got a red one last time around. I was unable to get google android apps to work and everything I read said it was impossible, but Amazon apps work good and they have many free, and a paid app for free every day. Most apps work but not all. The pocket edge plays xvid videos fine unless they're encoded with 5.1 channel sound. If you're looking for free books, go to easynews and search for files with the "epub" extension. I didn't like the way pdf's show up on the eink side, too small! Overall, I think it's a great product at a very good price, but mine still works.

I found that using pdf reflow solves the size problem pretty handily. I had purchased a pocket edge a while back when they were on woot for 150-ish. I also bought one for the wife. Now they are cheaper, I'm think of buying some for the kids. Manga watcher app works great for the lcd side. There are issues with a lot of the newer games but as an ebook reader / browser it works great. I also like using it for watching movies while traveling.

deanreed1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deanreed1969

Would I be able to play music from my android phone into this via bluetooth? Specifically, play my napster app on my phone and have it transmit the music via bluetooth to the tablet? Anyone tried this or something similar?

KyserSoze

dgbatchelor wrote:I found that using pdf reflow solves the size problem pretty handily...

Do you have a link for more information?
Thanks

KyserSoze

I just read on http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDF#Reflow:

Note that some PDF files have text in images. These cannot be reflowed.

My books won't easily be reflowed

jimgolf

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jimgolf
deanreed1969 wrote:Would I be able to play music from my android phone into this via bluetooth? Specifically, play my napster app on my phone and have it transmit the music via bluetooth to the tablet? Anyone tried this or something similar?

Just copy your music from your phone to your tablet. I don't think anyone has thought of streaming music from a phone to a tablet via bluetooth. Doesn't immediately make sense. You could save your music on the cloud and play it from there. Maybe you could explain the concept better. If you want to just use this as a speaker, there are better bluetooth speakers out there.

Cheri Antozak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cheri Antozak

Does anyone know what the actual size of this is and how much it weighs?

Solis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Solis

I was hoping this would make a return when I last saw it for $100. Even though the company is defunct and the hardware sounds sluggish, the idea of getting a 7" tablet and e-reader bundled together for $85 when they're often individually that price is pretty tempting. I'm not sure whether my unsuccessful attempts to procure an HP 10" tablet makes this deal more or less appealing though.

Does anyone have a link that shows how to best upgrade to 2.2 Froyo on this though? I saw that there are support forums for it, but it looked like there was more than one and I'm not sure if they're all the same or not. For that matter, is it ready to go "out of the box" or do you need to configure an online account of any sort just to be able to use it?

Oh, and someone here said that the CPU only runs at 800mhz, but the description lists it as 1.2ghz...which does it actually run at? Could you overclock it from 800mhz to 1.2ghz otherwise? Oh yeah, and can you actually hook up a keyboard (or maybe even a mouse?) to the USB port?