XterraGuy


quality posts: 8 Private Messages XterraGuy
mikebwca wrote:
- The motion detection has a 2 - 3.5 second lag from the time it detects motion and it records the motion. Having prem recording on/off, or, the quality of the records doesn't seem to effect this. So, 2-3.5 seconds of each motions recording will be lost. I noticed that I was getting motions of nothing (cars passing by). Then I tested by placing my hand in front of the camera and counting seconds with my fingers. 3 1/2 fingers is where most of the motion recordings started - and the start of the motion was NOT at the end of the previous NORMAL recording! This happends on both units, so I do not think it's faulty units



Pretty sure as I recall (and I have one of these as well) that there is a setting for that, it will grab some of the ongoing recording buffer and prepend it to the motion-detect timeframe. The system needs those 2-3 seconds to confirm the motion unless you crank the sensitivity up I think.

XterraGuy


quality posts: 8 Private Messages XterraGuy
pkancianic wrote:Do these cameras record sound?



Nope. They don't even record video. They simply capture the video and send it to the DVR where it gets recorded.
However, these cameras do not have microphones. The DVR does have the ability to accept audio from an audio-capable camera or external mic.

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime
gilfilent wrote:Recommend defogging solution.



Im just curious why the camera would be in a shower? LOL

roborob76


quality posts: 0 Private Messages roborob76

The night vision viewing isn't a function of which DVR you have. These cheapo systems come with cameras with 11 IR Leds, or something like that. The good night vision cameras have 50+ IR Leds.
As an example, this isn't a great camera: http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Outdoor-Security-Surveillance-1OC/dp/B001AG6K48/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1330268368&sr=8-9

But, it's got 28 IR LEDs and boasts a NV distance of 54 feet, so you could imagine how much distance these 11 LEDs' give you, not to mention 420 TVLs is basic.

I've not found a decent and affordable night vision PTZ camera yet.....Anybody out there make one??

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime
yossisiegel wrote:How many hours of recording can you get with 4 camera running on a 500gb HD?



2 Weeks running 24/7

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime
XterraGuy wrote:Nope. They don't even record video. They simply capture the video and send it to the DVR where it gets recorded.
However, these cameras do not have microphones. The DVR does have the ability to accept audio from an audio-capable camera or external mic.



I have an audio microphone and the microphone is powered inline with the camera. Bought from http://www.zmododirect.com/zmodo-audio-microphone-for-zmodo-dvr-surveillance-systems/ It does require an RCA jack but they also sell the cables with power video and audio. Its very easy to set up just plug and play. The audio can also be heard remotely using the netviewer software. Just thought i would post since most microphones ive seen are junk and bad sound quality.

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime
chrissy6684 wrote:8 channel is great if you want to update eventually to more than 4.

If you just need the 4, I would recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523024 for $139 .



I bought a few of these until i started buying the new ones that just came out. They are 10 bucks more and free shipping! http://www.zmododirect.com/zmodo-4ch-cctv-security-dvr-camera-system-release-date-2-5-12/ So far the latest software is working well with remote view and netviewer.

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime
roborob76 wrote:The night vision viewing isn't a function of which DVR you have. These cheapo systems come with cameras with 11 IR Leds, or something like that. The good night vision cameras have 50+ IR Leds.
As an example, this isn't a great camera: http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Outdoor-Security-Surveillance-1OC/dp/B001AG6K48/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1330268368&sr=8-9

But, it's got 28 IR LEDs and boasts a NV distance of 54 feet, so you could imagine how much distance these 11 LEDs' give you, not to mention 420 TVLs is basic.

I've not found a decent and affordable night vision PTZ camera yet.....Anybody out there make one??



LTS sells a good one 27x zoom which seem to be way better than zmodo brand PTZ. I have personally tried both and it works much better. As far as the price i would plan on spending an extra 150 but for the price its worth every penny.

virtual1one


quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one

I've got one of these at home and one we ordered for work. Answering some common questions above:

Q: does it do audio?
A: yes and no. The DVR box itself can record audio, but the cameras it ships with do not have a mic

Q: is it 4 or 8 channel?
A: The DVR has 8 ports on it but this bundle ships with only 4 cameras. Additional cameras cost $26-250+ each depending on the features, there is quite a large selection.

Q: does the motion detect have a delay before it starts recording?
A: since it streams, it can "back up" the recording to start up to (iirc) 30 seconds prior to the motion, and record additional time after the movement stops

Q: are the cameras weatherproof?
A: they previously were advertised as "weatherproof" but have since changed their description to "indoor/outdoor". This is because they don't work in very hot or cold weather. So if you live in iowa, they won't work outdoor from november through feb. I assume they have the same problem with heat, but that's easier to solve with some shade. They do offer cameras with built-in heaters but they are considerably more expensive. I was a bit miffed by this when I was told that their interpretation of "weatherproof" didn't include "temperature". I know when I turn to the WEATHER channel one of the things I want to see is how COLD it is outside. They quote down to 35, mine work down to 23-28 depending on the camera, then they start flipping.

Q: what's tech support like?
A: phone hold times can be very long. they do have a 24/7 online chat but it's staffed on the off-hours with salesmen that can't help with technical problems, and it's not always answered. Quick turn-around time on warranty exchanges.

Q: what's the remote view like?
A: great if you have a windows box or iphone/ipod to watch it with. Sucks if you have a mac, it requires active-x so the browser viewer works ONLY on internet explorer, ONLY on windows. Our unit at work we had to attach a vga display to the DVR and have to go into the manager's office to view the cameras because none of the 20 computers in the building could view it with their browser. (mac shop) The setup instructions for network viewing are incomplete, you will be spending a little time on the phone to get it working.

Q: what kind of quality are the camers?
A: the basic cameras are lower quality. for basic surveillance videos its fine but don't expect sharp images unless to upgrade the cameras. Considering you get 4 and can do 8, you may want to fill up the remaining ports with better cameras that need clearer resolution for more distant viewing. Color is good. Night vision is fair, the light on the basic cameras is short range and provides most of its light in the middle of the view.

All of the above is my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

christikenley


quality posts: 1 Private Messages christikenley

Would this work for keeping an eye on a job site (building a house) from 2 hours away?

js5642w


quality posts: 0 Private Messages js5642w
kevieugene wrote:How does the mobile viewing work? Does this need to be hooked up to a router or something?



Yes, you do need to connect it to the router via ethernet (the dvr itself doesn't have wifi built-in), and then set up the port forwarding to be able to access it from outside of your home network.

dougersa2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougersa2

For a true wireless indoor/outdoor camera- zero wires option!! try VueZone. I have a system running with 5 cameras and no crazy router setup with my iPad, iPhone and android phone. Just get the app and view immediately plus you record on their servers so no worry about a burglar stealing your dvr.

billebrock


quality posts: 4 Private Messages billebrock
aselith wrote:Anyone know if steam from a shower would make the lens fog up on these?



good one

airtimecellular


quality posts: 1 Private Messages airtimecellular

I own the 4cam set up. Agree with all the comments above:

1) Low quality camera - but good enough for the price and you can always swap it out with higher quality ones later

2) Very narrow view - definitely not wide angle. You may need two cameras pointed in the same direction for the coverage you need.

3) Most importantly, how to unlock the unit. I had return a previous unit thinking it was non-functional as the unit will not respond to the mouse or the remote control. The key is to press the "Rewind" button that is on the physical DVR for 5 seconds, then it will unlock so you can use the mouse and remote.

4) Remote viewing via web and on Android phone works great. I only paid $130 for the 4 camera setup but needed to add my own 250gb hard drive for a 7 days always record high quality mode. Realistically, I week is more than enough.

quachdavid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages quachdavid

I bought the 4 CH. system last 3 weeks. The DVR came in defective. It wont recognize my hard drive and it can't be turned off via the remote control. There is no "ON-OFF" switch on the DVR. Called TECH support, they told me to format the drive in FAT32. It is rediculas for them to say that, any drive is larger than 4 gigs window will not format it in FAT32. I have to use another software to get it formatted in FAT32. Still, not working. Call them back, they told me to use another hard drive and try it again. Does that mean every one should go out there and buy 2 hard drives just to test this thing out. They finally tell me to ship it back for replacement. But, I will have to pay for the return shipping charge. I told them it is not fault you guys send me the defective device and they don't care. Thanks god for Woot, they take care of me by sending me the "Return Label" to Woot and i am waiting for my refund. There is only 2 persons in the Tech depts. One in the morning and one at night. ( John and Frank) Good luck!!!

redlyns1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redlyns1

Thanks for answering some of the questions I wanted to ask...

fourlane77


quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77

This could be useful for someone looking to bump up the camera count in their ghost hunters' club.

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

wodowooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wodowooter

aselith wrote:Anyone know if steam from a shower would make the lens fog up on these?

billebrock wrote:good one



bwhahahaha

During the last wOOt off, there was a cool gif of the Psycho shower scene.

Probably appropriate here

WootMe 3x-BeerMe 2x

SnakeOil


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnakeOil

Remote 2nd home. Can I remotely motitor from my main residence? Do I need a computer at source of system?

coffeemerchant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeemerchant

Yours is the best and most informative post I've read in a long, long time. Thanks!

handygeek7


quality posts: 1 Private Messages handygeek7
spendtime wrote:I bought a few of these until i started buying the new ones that just came out. They are 10 bucks more and free shipping! http://www.zmododirect.com/zmodo-4ch-cctv-security-dvr-camera-system-release-date-2-5-12/ So far the latest software is working well with remote view and netviewer.



That one doesn't list a HDD.

handygeek7


quality posts: 1 Private Messages handygeek7
js5642w wrote:Yes, you do need to connect it to the router via ethernet (the dvr itself doesn't have wifi built-in), and then set up the port forwarding to be able to access it from outside of your home network.



Most IP cams and DVR's require proprietary MS Active-X to work, but that may be for the remote controlled cameras (tilt, pan, etc).

Do these systems connect to the internet via common browsers across Linux, MS, or Macs?

icecream4zombies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecream4zombies
quachdavid wrote:I bought the 4 CH. system last 3 weeks. The DVR came in defective. It wont recognize my hard drive and it can't be turned off via the remote control. There is no "ON-OFF" switch on the DVR. Called TECH support, they told me to format the drive in FAT32. It is rediculas for them to say that, any drive is larger than 4 gigs window will not format it in FAT32. I have to use another software to get it formatted in FAT32. Still, not working. Call them back, they told me to use another hard drive and try it again. Does that mean every one should go out there and buy 2 hard drives just to test this thing out. They finally tell me to ship it back for replacement. But, I will have to pay for the return shipping charge. I told them it is not fault you guys send me the defective device and they don't care. Thanks god for Woot, they take care of me by sending me the "Return Label" to Woot and i am waiting for my refund. There is only 2 persons in the Tech depts. One in the morning and one at night. ( John and Frank) Good luck!!!



John and Frank? Sounds like you talked to the livechat, not the phone tech support. Call the phone tech support at 866-551-6881, they'll give you a return label if something breaks less than 30 days after you got it.

stevehalicore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevehalicore

There was an 8 camera system a few weeks ago.. how does this compare? Is sacrificing the 4 camera worth getting a 500gb hard drive?

thumpinc


quality posts: 2 Private Messages thumpinc

Except with VueZone you have to
A) Pay a monthly fee just to view your cameras remotely
B) Pay an ungodly $289 for your first two cameras.
and most importantly
C) Be S.O.L. if and when VueZone decides to shutter because it can't compete with WiFi HD Cameras with IR emitters from China for less than $100/each.

icecream4zombies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecream4zombies
stevehalicore wrote:There was an 8 camera system a few weeks ago.. how does this compare? Is sacrificing the 4 camera worth getting a 500gb hard drive?



I think sacrificing the 4 cameras is worth getting a 500gb hard drive. the 500GB HDD they put in there is a high quality Western Digital, and not all PC Rated HDDs will function long term in a DVR. PC Hard Drives are not exactly designed to run 24/7 at maximum storage...

Plus, if you don't like the cameras that are included you can get four better cameras to fill the four empty slots on the DVR.

texasben


quality posts: 1 Private Messages texasben

I bought the 8 channel when it came out sometime ago. Impossible to get it to play back what it does record.. Can not get it to use the USB Drive slot. NOT user friendly.. And I had to have a true geek come set up the view on line part cause their settings suck at that.
IMHO, don't waste your money on this toy. Got get a real one somewhere.

icecream4zombies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecream4zombies
christikenley wrote:Would this work for keeping an eye on a job site (building a house) from 2 hours away?



That all depends on whether you've got an internet connection and a router at the job site. The DVR needs to be hard wired to a router in order for you to view your cameras remotely from a PC or from a smartphone.

Night vision on the cameras is pretty short, but if you're only concerned about daytime viewing then these cameras will be fine.

FallenAnjel


quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel

I live in a half basement in the back of a house. My LL would not like me putting these outside. (then I could see HIM in his yard..but it's ok for him to not tell me when there's landscapers outside my bedroom window at 7 am.....) ANYWHO....

I wonder if these would be ok to put INSIDE my window pointed OUTSIDE to my deck. there have been strange people going door to door around here and you just never know......

Hmmm, maybe I could hide the camera in a plant or something, lol...

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

billebrock


quality posts: 4 Private Messages billebrock
wodowooter wrote:aselith wrote:Anyone know if steam from a shower would make the lens fog up on these?



bwhahahaha

During the last wOOt off, there was a cool gif of the Psycho shower scene.

Probably appropriate here



It was scary how Hitchcock couldn't catch the killer on camera...and he was in the bathroom...with a film crew!

boogiegirl5678


quality posts: 0 Private Messages boogiegirl5678

Are all the cameras with wires? If so, are they long enough to install outside cameras on every corner of a house?

wooters!!


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wooters!!
FallenAnjel wrote:
I wonder if these would be ok to put INSIDE my window pointed OUTSIDE to my deck.



If you put these inside and aimed out a window, you need to open up the camera and disconnect the IR illumination, otherwise as soon as the light levels drop, the IR kicks on and all you get is a washed out screen from the glare bouncing off the window. If you don't care about seeing anything other than in daylight you could leave it, but you're better off disabling it. Not too hard to do, just unscrew the cover, undo the tiny screws holding on the IR assembly, and unplugging the connector.

FallenAnjel


quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel
wooters!! wrote:If you put these inside and aimed out a window, you need to open up the camera and disconnect the IR illumination, otherwise as soon as the light levels drop, the IR kicks on and all you get is a washed out screen from the glare bouncing off the window. If you don't care about seeing anything other than in daylight you could leave it, but you're better off disabling it. Not too hard to do, just unscrew the cover, undo the tiny screws holding on the IR assembly, and unplugging the connector.




aaah, gotcha, didn't think of that. Good idea tho.

I was thinking of setting up one near my rabbit cage and calling it "bunny cam". Oh wait, I may get WAY more of response than I want, haha.

I can't put these outside w/o drilling holes into the house, and because I'm in a 1/2 basement, my exterior walls are concrete except for the window and door frames. If I had a gas stove I could run the wire thru the same hole as the gas line.

And like I said, I'd have to hide them in a plant or something.

I may wait until they sell this for $100 w/o the hard drive and just get my own better cameras. I REALLY want an iPhone and I'm deciding if I REALLY need to spend the $200 on this.

sorry just thinking out loud now, lol.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

mikebwca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca
DPSkiman wrote:I bought the 4 channel version a few weeks back and have not been able to get the DVR to write the video files. Tech support has been an absolute joke. Purchase at your own risk. (a Computer Network professional for 26 years)



Those units did not come with a hard drive. I'm sure you left out the ovious, but... did you install one?

FallenAnjel


quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel
wrote:
I bought the 4 channel version a few weeks back and have not been able to get the DVR to write the video files. Tech support has been an absolute joke. Purchase at your own risk. (a Computer Network professional for 26 years)




mikebwca wrote:
Those units did not come with a hard drive. I'm sure you left out the ovious, but... did you install one?



I won't have any food or drink in my mouth when I read THAT reply. ;)

In his defense... I've BTDT. It's def. a facepalm moment.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

hollywood


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollywood
PilotFishBob wrote:I took delivery of an 8 cam Zmodo system just last week, but sent it back and got one from a different mfg.

I should have read the specs better first - The only problem I had was that the cameras (while they appeared well-built) were CMOS, and for the best IR resolution I needed CCD. The replacement was roughly $120 more, but night time is when I really need a video system to shine.



I heard CCD is better than CMOS. Which mfg did you buy from?

FallenAnjel


quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel
hollywood wrote:I heard CCD is better than CMOS. Which mfg did you buy from?



Zmodo has a CCD setup, I saw it on their site. I didn't really read it tho.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

spencexxx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages spencexxx

Soooooo... this thing comes here like once a month?

jlw928351


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlw928351

Save your money. Mine lasted a month before I lost the picture. Do I want to climb the ladder to see if the camera went bad or the hard drive? i think not. When it was working the camera resolution was not good enough to read a tag or ID a face.

hollywood


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollywood

Does anyone know what happens to the camera picture when:
1. A light outside is on continuously? Does the camera picture stay in color?

2. A motion sensor light comes on periodically? Does the camera picture go from color to black/white with the light going off and on?