riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley

I know I *should* vote for Babylon 5, but I've got to go with "Firefly"; glad to see so many other of like mind.

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi

Firefly easily, coming in 2nd would've been Babylon 5

doopadad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doopadad

babylon 5

thedehmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedehmer

Firefly. Short-lived and amazing in every way.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

RWoodward wrote:V (2009) spent far too much time trying to promote a political agenda to be very effective as entertainment. Plot development was lethargic, and they tried to introduce too many characters at once for any but an avid fan to keep up. Viewers waited a while fot the visitors to actually *do* something, but if they ever did, no one saw it because they gave up watching before it happened.

At least that's how I remember it.

I also gave up watching for kinda the same reasons. But when it started, it looked like it was going to explore the idea of religions and cargo cults, and I thought THAT would be pretty cool to see.

Can you imagine a well-considered story that slowly examined what would happen to a lot of religious-in-name-only types when faced with actual sky gods, and how people of faith may or may not react, rationalize, accept or deny what they believed in? It would be hard, and very controversial, but it would have made a really one of a kind show about what it meant to believe and the different reasons we do so, be they right or wrong.

Instead, we got what we got.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

harryg093

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harryg093

twilight zone?????????????

jachavez76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jachavez76

Firefly

erikkarjala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erikkarjala

Stargate SG-1
With ten seasons and 214 episodes

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

It's been getting a bit weak lately, but current show for me is Sanctuary, and I didn't even get into Stargates....

I was a sucker for Primevil too on BBC, but it was cancelled. I believe they are making a US version, but changing all the actors, etc.

artemis1120

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artemis1120

Firefly. Duh.

elephanthrower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elephanthrower

Dr. Who is the longest running Sci-Fi show. We're not talking re-runs here.

nickybluize

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickybluize

Battlestar Galactica

budrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages budrose

Red Dwarf ;-þ

mattcam3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattcam3

Stargate SG-1

shifty4u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shifty4u

You missed Stargate SG1, FireFly-- So I say C--pointless unless you list all the greats!

ravensday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravensday

Firefly...DUH!

AnnikaPanic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnnikaPanic

Firefly.

azhardbody74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azhardbody74

LOST IN SPACE!

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

The Original Outer Limits. Firefly is pure boredom.

ViperGuy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ViperGuy

Dark Angel

Barrel of Cropsless since 2005
Like music and Woot! join the group and check out the crappy music I listen to.

cianotron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cianotron
SockV wrote:Futurama (Firefly a close second)

Definitely the actual best! I went for X-Files on the list though. Should have said "other."

zingriffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zingriffy

Quantum Leap

Kaldir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaldir

Star Trek and Firefly!

I LOVE Firefly!! Fox made a huge mistake canceling that series.

mentalsmash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mentalsmash

Firefly!

buzznskier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buzznskier

Firefly!

acekoolus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acekoolus

Firefly and Stargate

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I never saw Firefly. I tried to watch a couple of times, but there was some western on instead.

old71dp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages old71dp

Quantum Leap!

sg219

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sg219

Stargate SG-1

SG219

35 Shirt Woots, 29 Woot Woots, 4 Home Woots, 3 Kid Woots....

jasonburnside

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonburnside

Babylon 5 - First of its type

robnoxious007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robnoxious007

Firefly.

Tho' an argument could be made for Twilight Zone.

RWoodward

Slydon wrote:I also gave up watching for kinda the same reasons. But when it started, it looked like it was going to explore the idea of religions and cargo cults, and I thought THAT would be pretty cool to see.

Can you imagine a well-considered story that slowly examined what would happen to a lot of religious-in-name-only types when faced with actual sky gods, and how people of faith may or may not react, rationalize, accept or deny what they believed in? It would be hard, and very controversial, but it would have made a really one of a kind show about what it meant to believe and the different reasons we do so, be they right or wrong.

A while back I was involved in a very interesting open conversation that involved that topic. It was shortly after Stephen Hawking suggested that sending messages into space might not be the safest thing we ever did.

I have to suppose the concept would be interpreted in wildly different ways, depending on who did the writing. Clarke addressed it somewhat in Childhood's End. I would love to see Harlan Ellison's take on this idea.

In my vision some would want to worship the aliens, especially those who have given up on Earthly religions. The "believer in name only" types would likely be willing servants or try to usurp power by painting them as a threat to be rallied against. The Biblical literalists would either see them as agents of Satan, or insist that God must have created them as well and they need saving. Imagine a missionary trying to convert a being a million years more advanced than man. Imagine if they seceded. Then again, imagine if the aliens were missionaries themselves. Lots of fodder for thought provoking SF here.

Is there any original SF programming currently being produced at all? I'm not aware of any.

y0diggity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages y0diggity

Firefly

RWoodward

jasonburnside wrote:Babylon 5 - First of its type

Interesting comment. I'm curious about what, in your opinion, made B-5 revolutionary?

I loved it, but I saw it as mostly a retelling of "Lord of the Rings." What am I missing?

mikehsk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikehsk

While I still stick with my original post voting Babylon 5 as the all time best, I should mention my childhood favorites, The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman. Sure, they are dated and cheesy by todays standards, but for their time, they couldn't be beat.

WineWeeble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WineWeeble

Definitely Firefly/Serenity, but the Dr. Who since they revived it, is right up there. I enjoyed All of the Stargate series, even 'Universe.

dbartst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbartst
extrarice wrote:Babylon 5.

The BESTEST ever!

cheriea99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheriea99

Firefly (movie, Serenity)... sci-fi fantasy. Go Browncoats! SG second place.

86isuzu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 86isuzu

Fringe all the way!

atherea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atherea

Firefly, by far.