+ Add a Comment

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall

FYI....

The original ipad (1st gen) case will work with these.
The ipad 2 is too thin.

ja2038

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ja2038

I am really enjoying mine, I picked it up at Best Buy 2 weeks ago on the returns/overstock table for $129.

Put ICS / CM 9 Alpha 2 on it, and it works great as a netflix device.

But in CM 9, the camera does not yet work, nor does the microphone, and well, I think it's terrific for $129, but overpriced at $249.

turruso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turruso

i ve got one of the 16Gb last woot, but the charging port flunked, anyone knows who to contact for the warranty?

tholcomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tholcomb

Looks like the answer to both my questions is, definitively, yes.

ICS & fried donkey sphincters all night long!

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
editorkid wrote:if all you care about is ICS, there are plenty of better and often cheaper options.

So where are the 9.7" IPS-panel non-refurb'd tablets with pretty good CPU/GPU and front-facing camera for under $249 then? Serious question, maybe I just missed them.

Edit: (and not no-name Chinese brand).

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

Good tablet that was killed off way too fast largely due to office politics at the top levels of HP.

That said, do watch for cracking around the speakers. Highly recommend this case, $19.99: http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/FB343AA%2523AC3

lawyerly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lawyerly
turruso wrote:i ve got one of the 16Gb last woot, but the charging port flunked, anyone knows who to contact for the warranty?

I contacted HP directly, and got my Touchpad replaced within 4 days.

vfrdirk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vfrdirk

It's the only tablet I've owned or used that competes with iPad in terms of speed and performance. With WebOS (which is a downright nice OS, ignoring its abandonment by HP) or Android, the response is snappy and keyboard performance is great, which are two pet peeves of mine when it comes to these devices.

No GPS is a bit of a drag, but a $20 Bluetooth GPS receiver makes for a very nice 10" navigation system for my car using an iPad mount, which fits perfectly.

At this price, it's a fair deal if you're looking for a tablet device and don't mind hacking Android onto it.

How did I get over 200 Woot purchases?

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime
maldito wrote:Will i be able to use this as an e-reader for .pdf files?

Also, would i be able to use this outside, or would there be a considerable amount of glare from the sun while reading?

Works fine for both.

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

turruso wrote:i ve got one of the 16Gb last woot, but the charging port flunked, anyone knows who to contact for the warranty?

Was it the August 5, 2011 sale? If so, here's the blog where it shows a one year warranty from HP.

If that's not it, click on My Account at the top of the page and click on the blog link next to the item in the list of purchases. The warranty is mentioned in each sale.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime

Get a Touchstone.

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

vibes4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vibes4me

This will be my 4th.. Love them Love Them! Android, WebOS, Ubuntu, Win7.. It's all good...

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
vfrdirk wrote:... using an iPad mount, which fits perfectly.

Where did you get an ipad mount?

Robearlbms

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Robearlbms

Careful what you sit this on top of. It is a slippery little devil. Mine has landed flat on its back(4ft drop)with a "crackkkk" and is still going. Kindle app allows large fonts and reverse background(white on black) that is excellent for someone with impaired vision. Love it!

vibes4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vibes4me
linkonfire wrote:How well does the TouchPad work with a capacitive stylus?

Could I use it to easily take notes (in particular for a math/physics class where I would need to write out symbols and equations?)

I use a stylis and it works well.

mark0805

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mark0805

It's still cheaper on Ebay. Plus for a little more you can have an actual iPad 2.

kjady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjady

For the money you can't get a better tablet. I use mine everywhere.

jbellis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbellis

I think you're crazy if you get one of these to put Android on it. Your time is worth something -- time rooting it, and time dealing with unstable ICS crashes. Get a Kindle Fire if you want Android, or a Transformer Prime, or wait for the rumored Google tablet.

That said, I'm tempted to get one for the chance to play with WebOS. Android and iOS have a terrible terrible multitasking story, and I'm tempted to try an alternative. I don't need a market full of games, as much as decent email and browser.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for technologically superior also-rans. /sheds a tear for Amiga

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

I put Alpha 2 of Cyanogenmod on my Touchpad. I am not very technically savvy and it took me about 20-30 minutes and went pretty easy.

Along with the instructions here:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/33227-alpha-cyanogenmod-7-for-the-hp-touchpad-v710-alpha-35-22-nov-2011-dont-link-directly-to-files/

I did find this kinda creepy video showing everything which helped me a lot as well. I really don't get why there is that bizarre doll sitting on the table.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP6IqHD1Z5o

Genomerio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Genomerio

I picked up one of these a while back for about this price as well, and am very happy with it. I mainly use ICS on it and it is very very stable, but I do pop into webOS every so often. They are hard to come by since they are so easy to hack and it's a great tablet for the price as a new unit. You can find them used on ebay for 200 or so instead, but I'd rather a new unit with warranty

winnielou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winnielou

Absolutely LOVE my touchpad!! Am an early adopter and still happy!!!!

bawanaal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bawanaal

I picked up a 16GB Touchpad for myself in the HP fire sale, figuring it was worth a flyer at $99. I found out I really, really like webOS. I use it for most of my couch surfing and watching video on the go. It's very hackable as well. I installed Preware, which allows you to overclock the dual core CPU, install patches to allow customization, amongst other things. But the app catalog on webOS is, to be blunt, very weak, for obvious reasons.

So I installed the CM9 Alpha 2 version of Android, opening up a vast world of apps to the Touchpad. It wasn't hard at all to do, took about 20 minutes. A dual boot with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich gives you the best of both worlds.

Personally, I've become a huge fan of the Touchpad. We have 3 16 GB Touchpads in the house (1 for me, the other 2 for the kids), all dual boot webOS and Android. There isn't a more versatile tablet on the market, especially for the price.

turruso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turruso
ThunderThighs wrote:Was it the August 5, 2011 sale? If so, here's the blog where it shows a one year warranty from HP.

If that's not it, click on My Account at the top of the page and click on the blog link next to the item in the list of purchases. The warranty is mentioned in each sale.

was the one on january 27 with 90 days warranty

kschlege

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kschlege
ja2038 wrote:But in CM 9, the camera does not yet work, nor does the microphone, and well, I think it's terrific for $129, but overpriced at $249.

From what I've read, the camera driver for android isn't open source, so there's no way to compile it and get it to work on the TP. My guess is that there will never be camera support for the TP (but could be wrong)

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

And just to add a few things...

I do really enjoy WebOS. It's a very, very nice OS. Easy to use, multi-tasks very well and in every way is a dream. It's fast as heck with browsing and works great on movies. True, there is a very thin app market for it. And that's what makes it tough to live with.

Regarding Android, it didn't take more than 30 minutes to put it on and it's run very stable for me. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know but I have had only a couple crashes in months and months of daily use. The only hitch for me is wifi occasionally has a hard time locking in on my own home network but rarely if ever has troubles with other networks.

For WebOS, my favorite game is Need For Speed. Great graphics, great sound and great accelerometer implementation. It's the one that makes people Oooh and Ahhh.

All in all, if you want a very high quality low priced Tablet I think this is a great way to go. Plus, you can dip your toe into rooting and installing a new OS in a fairly easy manner and if you somehow totally bork it you aren't out 500+ dollars for a mainstream tablet.

pleiadeez7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pleiadeez7

Is this 4G compatible??

risad

quality posts: 8 Private Messages risad

Loveeeeeeeee mine!! Using it right now! Btw, battery life is amazing. Mine goes all day with constant use or 4 to 5 days if I just let it sit around.

theant

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theant

I so want one of these... but I can't even afford one at the fire sale prices at the moment. Anyone want to buy it for me? You could use my sisters upcoming birthday as an excuse?

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

This seems like it has pretty good stats for someone wanting more than a Fire but not fool enough to drop 600 clams on an overprice iSheep product.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
andrewhime wrote:Get a Touchstone.

[EDIT] Was that who made the charger that HP sold? Didn't see them on the HP website just now, but no doubt they're on eBay.

Axolotl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Axolotl
pleiadeez7 wrote:Is this 4G compatible??

No.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

I bought 3 of these during the fire sale, two 32GB and one 16 GB. I was a little surprised that one of them cracked next to where the speaker is, it is common I think if you look it up. They are pretty stable and fast, good for watching movies and playing angry birds. I wouldn't buy them at this price; I got my 32GBs for $149 each and the 16GB for $99 so this seems a little pricey considering that was around a year ago.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic

Just buy touchstone wireless charger.
Edit: disregard, already mentioned.

kylelmccoy

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kylelmccoy

Bought the 16gb last time, works great. Installing android wasn't too hard - it's hit and miss with features.

What bothered me is that it came from a 3rd party - and it not only took forever,many people had issues. And when they had issues - the buck got passed around. I know that not every sale goes off without a hitch - but I'd be more apt to pull the trigger if I knew it was from woot, and not coming from some third party whose business could be in the middle of nowhere.

g00gl3it

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g00gl3it

I hope you guys are familiar with the warranty process.

I had two of these develops crack in the crappy plastic on the back.

The one they sent back CLEARLY showed tool pry marks all around the outside edge, I was not happy.

The other they stated was beyond repair and gave me a refund.

I like pancakes, waffles, bags of cabbage, bandoliers of carrots, babies on carriages, blue-orange cheese, buckets of carnage...

ja2038

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ja2038
kschlege wrote:From what I've read, the camera driver for android isn't open source, so there's no way to compile it and get it to work on the TP. My guess is that there will never be camera support for the TP (but could be wrong)

I think it's possible when open source webos is released the driver may be too. Or released as a binary module.

I believe webos runs on top of linux, so it's possible a binary driver work...

glendaleted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glendaleted

Okay, what am I doing wrong?

I bought one of the refurbished models last time, and I am just not happy with it. It takes forever to load the simplest web pages. Too often I get an error message.

If you want a tablet, spend the extra bucks for an iPad 2. For me, this was a waste of money..

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69
jbellis wrote:I think you're crazy if you get one of these to put Android on it. Your time is worth something -- time rooting it, and time dealing with unstable ICS crashes. Get a Kindle Fire if you want Android, or a Transformer Prime, or wait for the rumored Google tablet.

That said, I'm tempted to get one for the chance to play with WebOS. Android and iOS have a terrible terrible multitasking story, and I'm tempted to try an alternative. I don't need a market full of games, as much as decent email and browser.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for technologically superior also-rans. /sheds a tear for Amiga

You know how log it takes to put ICS on this? 15-20 mins tops. And it NEVER crashes. Multi-tasking is no problem. Stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin HD are great web browser choices. There are also plenty of email clients available.

hooray beer!

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
darkomandic wrote:Just buy touchstone wireless charger.

Also double check that it's actually the port and not the charger itself, or perhaps the battery. On some of the chargers, the two-prong part that plugs into the wall gets rotated loose and so the charger doesn't get any power (it turns and clicks into place, so it can be removed and replaced with a european style plug, etc, to be sold in non-US markets).

nickmcmahon

quality posts: 32 Private Messages nickmcmahon
Axolotl wrote:No.

Actually, they did supposedly make a few 4G models. They are out there. This one isnt however.