WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The good folks at Lodge let us peek behind the iron curtain to see how they manufacture their cookware -- including the Woot-branded skillet that's coming up for sale this week on Home.Woot!

Keep an eye on http://home.woot.com/ this week for a chance to get your hands on your own cast-iron skillet with the Woot logo on it. Obviously, every household needs at LEAST one.

Say, if you've still got more procrastinating to do after watching this video, you may also enjoy these others in the "How Woot Works" series:

How Woot Works: Our Product Photos
http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=19358

How Woot Works: Printing Our Shirts
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19919

How Woot Works: Building Our CES Booth
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=20973

How Woot Works: Where a Deal Comes From
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=22343

hoffmanbike

quality posts: 7 Private Messages hoffmanbike

Oh My Fruitful Garden i hope i can afford this woot skillet. i need a cast iron skillet too, this is perfect.

15 craps and counting.

PabloPalmeri6837

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PabloPalmeri6837

I want this... if it's for the correct price

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

My brother recently came over and said, "Why do you have zebra printed knives?"

I retort "...because Woot" and receive an eye rolling.

As soon as my skillet comes, I foresee more eye rolling.

w00tgurl

quality posts: 26 Private Messages w00tgurl
skippykj wrote:My brother recently came over and said, "Why do you have zebra printed knives?"

I retort "...because Woot" and receive an eye rolling.

As soon as my skillet comes, I foresee more eye rolling.

then you can show him this video and how the skillet is made of recycled steel parts and you're actually saving the planet by buying it. add a smug look and you're set

TUNE IN SATURDAY to buy!

Cat & Duck's Investigative Assistant
LONG LIVE WOOT CLUE 2012! r.i.p. you are miseed

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

That was an exceptionally well made video (especially by Woot standards), worthy of "How It's Made".
Did you guys finally hire a professional video production team?

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

I never thought I could have such an intense desire to own a cast iron skillet. I'm quite alarmed, really.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
DennisG2010 wrote:That was an exceptionally well made video (especially by Woot standards), worthy of "How It's Made".
Did you guys finally hire a professional video production team?

Vid says footage was provided by Lodge.

FrostByte

quality posts: 17 Private Messages FrostByte

I guess the real question is, if priced competitively, will these sell as fast as a Banana Orange Crepe? I'll definitely be watching all week... or Saturday.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

I do already have cast iron skillets. Keep in mind, the surface of such are not really finished for a good number of years, and only under constant wear and use. After awhile, the cooking surface gets worn perfectly smooth, and proper treatment keeps that natural non-stick surface; do not wash! Seriously.

Also, I wonder if the logo will alter the heat transfer; it seems it would on anything but gas. Imagine cooking a crepe with the (!) logo visible! It may be kitschy, but it affects the quality of the food. It should be okay for bacon, however.

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex
PocketBrain wrote:Also, I wonder if the logo will alter the heat transfer; it seems it would on anything but gas. Imagine cooking a crepe with the (!) logo visible! It may be kitschy, but it affects the quality of the food.

Lodge pans have such thick bottoms that the relatively minor difference in thickness between embossed and non-embossed areas is compensated for by the heat conduction of the cast iron. (At least, for the designs I'm familiar with. Granted, the Woot bang makes for a much larger embossed area than usual, but I doubt it'll really affect the outcome.)

The food-geek in me REALLY wants one of these. The practical me doesn't want any pan I can't throw in the dishwasher. Curse you, practical me!

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

jimmyd103

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimmyd103

Can't wait 'till Saturday. Although I'm not certain how it's going to be priced because it's not an overstock. Probably priced the same as a new lodge cast iron of a similar size and style??? Which makes it more of a novelty than a deal.
As an FYI you can pick up overstocked lodge cast iron skillets at TJMaxx. That's where I purchased mine and it is a great skillet. Well worth the money, full price or discount price.

khasut

quality posts: 7 Private Messages khasut
codex wrote:The food-geek in me REALLY wants one of these. The practical me doesn't want any pan I can't throw in the dishwasher. Curse you, practical me!

The fact that you would throw ANY pan in the dishwasher disturbs me.

In other news: any idea as to the size? I have a 9" I love, I might be in for one if the wootpan is 12".

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
PocketBrain wrote:I do already have cast iron skillets. Keep in mind, the surface of such are not really finished for a good number of years, and only under constant wear and use. After awhile, the cooking surface gets worn perfectly smooth, and proper treatment keeps that natural non-stick surface; do not wash! Seriously.

Also, I wonder if the logo will alter the heat transfer; it seems it would on anything but gas. Imagine cooking a crepe with the (!) logo visible! It may be kitschy, but it affects the quality of the food. It should be okay for bacon, however.

Both of my old Griswold cast iron skillets have the manufacturer's name with a design embossed on the bottom. I don't think it makes a difference.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills

It could be my eyes playing a trick on me, but the Woot! pan shown in the video appears to have a really distinct ridge lip on the bottom - like the whole center of the pan is recessed. My 12" Lodge skillet is perfectly flat across the bottom with no lip/edge/recess.

Anybody else see that?

If that's the case I can't see how this pan would work well (that is: at all) on a flat-surface stovetop or a wrongly-dimensioned burner (say, a stovetop with a long rectangle grate over two burners instead of two distinct smaller grates.

wootieman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootieman

The Lodge website shows only custom pan with the Boy Scout logo. It's a 12" pan with a $37.95 list price.

At Amazon, the regular 12" pan goes for $21.99 with great reviews.

I predict Woot!'s pan will be a 12" and cost closer to the standard pan on Amazon, so it still feels like a deal.

I would think that the bottom ring on the pan would be fine for a gas range or open fire, but problematic for anything electric.

The pans I have are all flat bottomed. Anyone have any experience with using a "ringed" pan on an electric range?

eepeep

quality posts: 5 Private Messages eepeep

...and there's a Woot Off. How am I going to afford buying a Woot Skillet Pan after spending all of my disposable income on the Woot Off?

Well, I guess I'm going to have to kiss the Woot Pan good bye.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and binds the universe together.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain
codex wrote:Lodge pans have such thick bottoms that the relatively minor difference in thickness between embossed and non-embossed areas is compensated for by the heat conduction of the cast iron. (At least, for the designs I'm familiar with. Granted, the Woot bang makes for a much larger embossed area than usual, but I doubt it'll really affect the outcome.)

The food-geek in me REALLY wants one of these. The practical me doesn't want any pan I can't throw in the dishwasher. Curse you, practical me!

The interface surface has the logo embossed in it; maybe the heat will be well-evened-out across the thickness, but the area where the (!) is won't be making contact with the coils or the glass-top (seems a tad tragic to use an iron skillet on a glass-top). I wonder if induction stovetops work with iron skillets...

edit: "Cast iron pans and any black metal or iron pans will work on an induction hob." Oooooo!

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
philmills wrote:It could be my eyes playing a trick on me, but the Woot! pan shown in the video appears to have a really distinct ridge lip on the bottom - like the whole center of the pan is recessed. ...

Just take a metal fingernal nail file to it and grind it flat. Simple!

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou

I've got about 100 pounds of cast iron cookware. (If not a LOT more.) Most of it is Lodge, since they're about the best I've seen.

One of my brothers has a commemorative 12 inch Lodge skillet, commemorating the sesquicentennial of Utah. He uses it ALL the time, especially for making pancakes.

Has no issues with the pattern coming through. Heck, if the pattern was coming through on the cooked product, my pancakes would have a "Lodge" on them.

Yes, I'll be getting one. (If not more.)

steve

tman2088

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tman2088

I wonder if these pans are bulletproof.

undermind9

quality posts: 3 Private Messages undermind9

saturday...so ive got only a few days left to smash/break my current skillet pan to justify to a new one

skou

tman2088 wrote:I wonder if these pans are bulletproof.

Depends on the bullet!

steve

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj
tman2088 wrote:I wonder if these pans are bulletproof.

Time for a Woot Field Test.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull

I don't have much use for one, wish I still had a gas stove, but the idea that this product is still made in the US makes me really want one, sure I could still find a way to use such a nice piece of iron. Makes me very happy to see that some companies are still pushing out quality product within our own borders.

DrjinG

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DrjinG

My wife wants a cast iron skillet, and I want the woot! skillet. Win-win!

Hurry up, Saturday, and get here so I can see how much woot! will set me back this time...

fldeals

quality posts: 25 Private Messages fldeals

See ya Saturday! Woot!!

X34

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills
bsmith1 wrote:Just take a metal fingernal nail file to it and grind it flat. Simple!

Pause the video at 3:01. That'd be quite a bit of filing.

hyliansnake

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hyliansnake

Does anyone else want one for the simple fact that if you smack someone with it (cartoon style) it will leave an "!" on their face?

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
hoffmanbike wrote:Oh My Fruitful Garden i hope i can afford this woot skillet. i need a cast iron skillet too, this is perfect.

I need 2, for making the perfect grilled cheese (heat 2 pans, put prepped grilled cheese on 1 pan, put 2nd pan on top, wait).

Now my grilled cheese can be Woot! logo'd!

But the big ? is how much...

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

My need for a cast-iron woot! skillet just increased immensely.

scifiak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scifiak

Many may have a Iron Skillet at home already...

But nobody has an Iron Skillet with a Woot.com logo hanging on their kitchen wall.

And for those of you dying to know, this Iron Skillet with a Woot.com logo Does NOT work with a
M-A-C.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They need to make a whole line of these. i need a really large one with a lid, one that I have never seen before. like 15" or bigger with a lid.

a Dutch oven would be KILLER! I have one but i want a woot one. :O)

this will be the best home woot ever.

if its not over priced anyway. no fish ever tasted better than one cooked on a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. No Fried chicken either.

years to make all good? no no no. I can do it in days, of course normal use makes it better but seriously, if you concentrate your efforts you can break in your pan by re baking it repeatedly with new layers of veggi oil, and every other time using lard and wiping it between with paper towels 9 after it cools ) It is Totally worth it. I like to do several at one time though so that the energy is not wasted doing one at a time.

never cook tomato products in a pan that you Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... to re season. the acid eats the finish you worked so hard to achieve.

saturday!!! Saturday!!!

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

LastApeMan

like straining drowned toads from your swimming pool.

Cause even a little bit of sand in your bacon is too much really.

Oops!. looks like this batch has a little Paper bag in the mix!

MASTERPIECE!!!!

I love this! I am going to go watch it again. LOL

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

LastApeMan

wootieman wrote:The Lodge website shows only custom pan with the Boy Scout logo. It's a 12" pan with a $37.95 list price.

At Amazon, the regular 12" pan goes for $21.99 with great reviews.

I predict Woot!'s pan will be a 12" and cost closer to the standard pan on Amazon, so it still feels like a deal.

I would think that the bottom ring on the pan would be fine for a gas range or open fire, but problematic for anything electric.

The pans I have are all flat bottomed. Anyone have any experience with using a "ringed" pan on an electric range?

I hate electric personally but if you think about it for a sec you will see this is true.

The element on a electric stove rises above the stove top - the element will be in direct contact with the bottom of THIS pan because the size is larger than the element, the ring on the outer edge of the pan will only aid in the heat dispersal and evenness to to the corners of the inside of the pan.

see what i mean? gas is better/ LOL convection people are silly, they do not care about food at all and should not even try to pretend to care.

this pan is for the convection owners that camp or would like it as part of a collection or who would like to give me a TOTALLY awesome gift. :O)

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
phoenixgirrl wrote:I need 2, for making the perfect grilled cheese (heat 2 pans, put prepped grilled cheese on 1 pan, put 2nd pan on top, wait).

Now my grilled cheese can be Woot! logo'd!

But the big ? is how much...

Lodge makes a cast iron press for this purpose. I have it, and it works great for grilled cheese, burgers, and bacon.

glazedfaith

quality posts: 33 Private Messages glazedfaith
LastApeMan wrote:I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
never cook tomato products in a pan that you Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... to re season.

Silly woot! filter...

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
khasut wrote:The fact that you would throw ANY pan in the dishwasher disturbs me.

Some of us buy quality products. Very few things won't go in the dishwasher, although many snobs like to think otherwise. For some of us the extra trouble of cast iron isn't worth it.

Still single, can't imagine why.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
FenStar wrote:Some of us buy quality products. Very few things won't go in the dishwasher, although many snobs like to think otherwise. For some of us the extra trouble of cast iron isn't worth it.

Agree. I've been putting a couple of skillets and a griddle (not cast iron) in the dishwasher for a couple of years now and don't see a difference.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

skou

FenStar wrote:Some of us buy quality products. Very few things won't go in the dishwasher, although many snobs like to think otherwise. For some of us the extra trouble of cast iron isn't worth it.

Leaves more for us CI fanatics!

Why would ANYONE want to wash a Cast Iron skillet?

Wash them ONCE, then never again! Soap (and detergent) will amalgamate with the baked-on grease, (seasoning) and you'll not only ruin your seasoning, but think of the flavors you will get.

Get them well seasoned, use them, and rinse them clean. Then, season again.

steve