dccarter

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dccarter

Bought one of these from Woot several months ago. He works 5 days a week, does a great job, and no problems.

I first tried Neato on short runs.  I wanted to see how he maneuvered and what problems he could get into.  We have a long hall that leads to a bathroom and I used the magnetic strips to restrict him to those two areas.  

I was working in another room when I realized he was silent.  Went into the hall, looked right, no Neato.  Looked left toward the bathroom, no Neato.  No sound.  Looked right again, looked left, no sign of Neato.  Did he escape?  A fast scan of doorways showed the magnetic strips were in place.  He wasn't under the hall cabinet.  Finally found him in the bathroom stuck between the toilet and tub.  He had shut down but his message window explained that his bumper was caught on something, would I please release him.  

I reoriented him, he shot out of the narrow pathway toward the sink, spun around and back he went to clean the area between the tub and toilet.  He got to the wall behind the toilet, spun, and headed out again but was at an angle, so he got stuck again.  He worked at getting free but couldn't and again shut down.  This time the message was to please clear the path.  I straightened him, he took off toward the sink, hung a right and zipped back out into the hall and tackled the hall carpet.  Fine.

A little while later I saw him return to the bathroom and down that narrow area between the tub and toilet.  At the wall, he spun and came straight out to the sink, hung a right out of the bathroom and down the hall to his charger where he docked.  Task completed.  Talk about obsessive!

(I refer to Neato as a “he” because he reminds me of my husband --doesn’t ask for directions, occasionally appears to get lost, but, in the end, gets the task done.)

bilbobaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bilbobaker

I'm sold on robotic vacuums.. the Roomba is a better build however both are great task masters.
I hate sweeping and vacuuming under and over things and these lil'l bots are so happy to do it for me...
I will always have one in my tool arsenal against dirt stuffs.

prettygood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages prettygood

My little buddy came after the most recent woot. Absolutely love it. What a thrill to come home and your house being vacuumed. Climbs a 3/4 inch transition. Gags on the strings of antique prayer rug. Mates obsessively with chrome barstools. Gives you a chance to say without irony, "You have to see my new vacuum cleaner." Speaking of irony, Neato team work on a robot iron.
Unless you enjoy vacuuming buy it.

oldcdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldcdog

This NEATO just kills ROOMBA in combat. It certainly is another generation of robotics. Too much is made of all the scheduling ta-doo which I never use. (I'm a control freak and like to feel I'm in charge when the vacuum is doing its thing!)
Two clicks of the button after carrying it to any room I choose and it is quite eager to do its thing!
(I also like the "put me down" that shows up on its screen when you carry it around. It's amazing how it escapes getting itself in trouble and does a great job in cleaning moving effortlessly from area rugs to tile to carpeting.

TnBelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TnBelle

I bought this last time & love it. I too have mission style furniture & it would get stuck under the couch. I cut 4 little squares of wood that raised the couch about 1/4 inch. Voila!

fooknboomn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fooknboomn

None of these type of vacs really clean your floors. I mean come on, how can something battery operated that size do anything that a 12 AMP vac can?

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67

Excellent cleaning, ease of maintenance, etc. BUT.....

I have had this robot from its early stages of firmware. Due to navigation issues I returned one that had been updated at the factory, got a new one, and it gets confused. It will back itself into an open corner, free to get out, and go around and around finally shutting down with a message, "unable to navigate, please clear my path". Anyone else have this problem? Neato has been super supportive but there "solution" of doing a "shutdown" and restarting doesn't help.

Any one else having this issue of navigation confusion?

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67
fooknboomn wrote:None of these type of vacs really clean your floors. I mean come on, how can something battery operated that size do anything that a 12 AMP vac can?

I have a very expensive Miele, and it does as good if not better than the Miele. Just having navigation issues is all.

lintball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintball

I got this last month when it was on woot.

I have owned a Roomba for a couple of years and I'm not thrilled with the Roomba's navigation style (bump and run) or it cleaning ability (it is a sweeper, not a vacuum), so I was skeptical of how the Neato would work.

I am thrilled with how well this Neato works. I have it scheduled to run every other night at 2:00am in our downstairs living space (we can not hear it run in this section of the house).

CLEANING: It is a true vacuum. It cleans under our coffee table and end table (it had been years since we vacuumed there). The first 10 or so times it ran, it totally filled the dust bin. On it's current every-other-day schedule, it gets about 1/3 of the bin full. It does an amazing job at finding dirt we didn't know was there.

NAVIGATION: The navigation is great. It covers three odd-shaped rooms, cleaning every inch except for the dining room that I have blocked with the magnet strip. Neato HAS failed to return to the charging base twice. Both times, it was about a foot away...it's like it ran out of juice a little too soon.

Amazing device. Much better than our roomba (which we still use as a mobile, room-at-a-time vacuum).

A side benefit is that it makes us be aware of keeping stuff picked up. He will choke on wires and socks. Now we make sure the floor is clear.

hayeswildrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hayeswildrick

We own a rental property on a lake. Every week we take the Neato, and it cleans all the floors while we do other chores. Even does under the beds! Far superior to its competitors.

NitroSpazzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NitroSpazzz

I picked one of these up last time it was on here and am really happy with it. I have it set to vacuum Monday and Friday so I come home to a clean house and don't have to worry about it. My house is all hard wood floors and it works great.

Plus it's fun to watch after a few drinks.

warmack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warmack

In my opinion the Neato Vac has a fatal design flaw. The wheels have a small spring attached to plastic mounts to keep tension and the mounting place is weak and brittle. With just normal use it is not uncommon for the plastic mount to break where the spring attaches. Then you have to spend $50 for a new wheel and mount which is the exact same poor design. In a few months it breaks again -- repeat ad nauseum.

melsmex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melsmex

Does it have a problem vacuuming up long hair? Thanks!

juliacbemis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliacbemis

Gave a Neato to my daughters for Xmas - they each have pets & work outside the home, so not much time to do housework. To quote them:"It's the best gift ever!" Does a great job and no problems so far.

ScottyDont

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ScottyDont

Mine is running as we speak! It does a fantastic job on all surfaces, the only issue is sweeping out under the kitchen cabinets before it runs, since it doesn't fit under the overhangs. The Woot! deal is a great one because it comes with the optional accessory kit, which would cost about $60 retail (and you will need more filters eventually).

Canucken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Canucken

No, it can't climb up what I would consider regular thickness area rugs and definitely not room dividers. We have one and I'm terribly disappointed with it. It doesnt learn very well, it will try to get under things repeatedly (literally bump back and forth a dozen times before it gives up) , the dust bin fils up to quickly, it gets tangled up in lamp cords and gets stuck behind coffee tables and chairs. The ony positive about it is it actually does pick up well where it can get to. Not worth the money.

Canucken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Canucken
blipper67 wrote:Excellent cleaning, ease of maintenance, etc. BUT.....

I have had this robot from its early stages of firmware. Due to navigation issues I returned one that had been updated at the factory, got a new one, and it gets confused. It will back itself into an open corner, free to get out, and go around and around finally shutting down with a message, "unable to navigate, please clear my path". Anyone else have this problem? Neato has been super supportive but there "solution" of doing a "shutdown" and restarting doesn't help.

Any one else having this issue of navigation confusion?

I do. The thing is terrible. Complete waste of money.

skippyputz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skippyputz

Got one in a prior woot. Love the thing!

There is a software update you can get from their website that helps with navigation and docking. Free and easy to install.

Most importantly, the wife loves it and didn't complain about me spending money once she saw how good it is!

incidntlgk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages incidntlgk

I bought this last time it was available on Woot! My floors have never been so clean. We run "Rosie" all of the time and have had nothing but the best experience. Everyone should have one of these. I LOVE THIS ROBOT!!!

walmark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages walmark

How does it deal with an ABUNDANCE of pet hair? I have a latest roomba, and it chokes a lot. The brushes need to be cleaned 2-3 times during a single cycle. How is Neato with that?

pickup1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickup1

How long before recharge on this.Can it do a whole house?

matildamay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matildamay

I got this a few weeks back and I am very impressed! We have two large dogs(one is a St Bernard mix) and I run GLaDOS almost every day. I love her!

dsm2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsm2112

We have the XV-11 and love it. We named him "scooter" - best pet we ever had. He cleans up and returns to his base.

We schedule scooter to clean our entire first floor -- 15x30 den with carpet and our kitchen/dining rooms with hardwood floors 3 times a week.

greeblesnort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greeblesnort

bought this on the last woot and have been pretty pleased with the results. We have two dogs, a cat, and small children and trying to keep the pet dander down in the kid areas has always been an issue. I can definitely tell a difference during the weekend (when we don't let it run because we're home) versus the weekdays when it runs every morning.

We have a mix of tile floor in the dining room/kitchen and short carpet in the rest of the upstairs with significant transitions between the two. The droid usually navigates them fine. You just need to remember a couple of things:
1. pick up the clutter, especially kid shoes and other items that have something that is going to get sucked into beater bar.
2. empty the droid's compartment daily (for us anyway)
3. if you have a wife with long hair, you will occasionally need to take the bar out and remove all of the hair it's picked up.

Overall, I am not displeased with our purchase. Keep in mind that it's got limitations and set your expectations appropriately. Help it do it's job by having it run when the kids aren't home (they will not leave it alone otherwise) and pick up the clutter.

SachaF

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SachaF

I just bought one off Woot last time and I'm very happy with the purchase. I was dog sitting a golden retriever last week that sheds a lot. I started Neato once a day as we were leaving the house and I would come back to a home with no pet hair. It does a very good job of keeping the home clean between big cleaning (for me every 2 weeks), so I spend much less time vacuuming.

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

Got one last woot.

Works good and it amazes me that it keeps picking up more dirt every day.

Definitely worth it I think.

1wally1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1wally1

bought one last wootaround and LOVE it.
i was very hesitant and skeptical regarding the claims but the first 'outing' amazed.
you will be stunned to see the amount of dust / dirt picked up from what i thought was a clean house !
yes, on occasion it does get stuck under chairs etc. but 96% of the time it performs flawlessly......and after cleaning takes itself home to recharge.
i will never be without one again....awesome.

nnssandman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnssandman

Engadget gives it a thumbs up

And they fully reviewed the XV-11, which they liked. A lot. More than a Roomba.

As my house is all hardwood, and I don't have pets (no hair to gum the machine up), I've been interested for a while to get one of these automated little buggers. I do have kids, though. Any idea on how this thing handles toddler crumbs? They're generally bigger, chunkier, and oftentimes stickier than your average dirt and dust.

1wally1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1wally1
melsmex wrote:Does it have a problem vacuuming up long hair? Thanks!

we have an old english sheepdog......no problem with long hair.

iluvmyritz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iluvmyritz

Great review! Love the last part about your husband... how cute!

citak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citak

This is my third XV-12 LOVE it . My wife and i buy them as gifts now. We have a 6 month old boy and its hard to find time to clean plus its entertainment for my sun who chases it around in his walker laughing at it as its running away. lol the neato is his first best friend.

jflora1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jflora1

What prevents the Neato from falling down the stairs?

furtive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furtive

I've only had my Neato for a few months (grabbed it somewhere else for $330) but it's been great! We have an open floor plan that gave it a little trouble the first couple days but a strategically placed magnetic barrier solved that problem. Now I wake up every day to a freshly vacuumed first floor.
Yes I run it everyday. We have 3 dogs and they create enough mess to fill that dirt bin every night.
For $299 this should be a no brainer. Plus it comes with more extras than mine did. Click buy you won't regret it.

jflora1 wrote:What prevents the Neato from falling down the stairs?

Neato has sensors underneath that let it know when it reaches a ledge. The first day I put Neato upstairs I watched it like a hawk. It flirted with the cliff a lot but it didn't ever go to far and fall.

Narg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Narg

Got one a month ago here at Woot! Love it! Threw my other robotic vacuum away!

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear

TOOOOO funny . I loved it lol. Goes to show you that a rooba CANT clean everything lol.

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

janh1231

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janh1231

I bought one the last time it was on Woot - about a couple of months ago. LOVE IT!!! You can't go wrong with this.

duanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duanie

Ah, every Mother's dream gift for Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful mothers out there and to those who have/had a mother!

becca1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages becca1969

Oh my-oh my !!!! I love this machine almost as much as I love chocolate.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

To emulate the other woot site write-up:

Buy this product: To show your love for mom.

Don't buy this product: If you're just trying to suck up to her (pun intentional). She'll know right away. Now go clean your room.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

wingdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wingdude

These vac are crap!! I gave mine to the Salvation Army..