terminater4050

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terminater4050

How will this TV fare on a wall mount? Will the DVD player get in the way?

JWDOMINICK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JWDOMINICK

I have a 26" version of this same unit, have had it for about 4 years. was our bedroom tv, until we upgraded and then move our old 50' into the bedroom and this one into the bathroom. has held up great, dvd player works fine. Zero Complaints.
Considering grabbing this one for the kids room.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
morsedl wrote:There wouldn't be any point in that: Blu-ray is 1080i or 1080p, so even if it did have a Blu-ray player, the resolution it affords would have to be downscaled to 720p anyway...

The OP may have a bunch of Blu-ray discs; he won't be able to play them with this unit, period.

annbewley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annbewley

The TV seems alright but I want that sleeping doggie. How do I go about wooting it?

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

You'd better watch it.
The ACLU, TSA, and, maybe, the DOJ will not like the insinuation that all assassins and terrorists are males with long, bushy beards.

Everyone with any proper breeding knows that assassins and terrorists can be females, the elderly, or even small children.

Come on, get with the enlightenment of the age.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
annbewley wrote:The TV seems alright but I want that sleeping doggie. How do I go about wooting it?

I'm sure you could find a similar or much cuter one at a local shelter

I'm just hanging out, really.

MITCHELLWOOT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MITCHELLWOOT

There's a dog caught in that man's beard....

Kacia

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kacia

Not the best of deals for a refurb.. and RCA isn't the best of brands for LCDs. I'd think I'd rather go for a Sceptre 32" at Walmart (new LCD) for 179.98 over this. Or the LED version for 209.98, and buy a separate dvd player.

jkirkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkirkc
LastApeMan wrote:seems the public never learns from this whole combo thing.

Combo pizza = awesome
combo lcd TV + cheap ass dvd player = bad.

History: TV + Built in cheapo VCR = bad.

now you have a TV with a cheap broke THING on it and you have to go buy a new THING and plug it in.

the cheap broke THING however was not Cheap for you. LOL they built the whole thing and elevated the price, you paid premium dollars for a cheap broke thing.

much better to buy your TV then buy your superior choice for the player, or at the very least a cheap disposable one for the right price.

Dude, the price is also CHEAP!!! $200.00 bucks, what are expecting to get???

vickifb78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vickifb78

Hi I am in Nashville and our comcast has analog to digital converters for tv's that don't have a cable box. I want this for a second room where I do not need to get the higher channels. Would this tv work for this situation?

drew4erd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drew4erd

Does that red light below stay on all the time?

Drew

trismegustus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trismegustus

So...it says USB = 1 (service)...does that mean the USB port is only for doing service on the unit, or what? My bottom line is: will it play video files directly?

Thanks!

pettibonseattle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pettibonseattle

I don't know if I'd call that a built in DVD player; Maybe built on...

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
vickifb78 wrote:Hi I am in Nashville and our comcast has analog to digital converters for tv's that don't have a cable box. I want this for a second room where I do not need to get the higher channels. Would this tv work for this situation?

Yes. Most cable companies across the US offer HD broadcasts directly to your HDTV WITHOUT a channel box or converter but without any PPV or premium services. In other words, just put the cable directly into the TV cable connector, let the TV autoscan, and you will get all standard channels and local HD channels (CBS HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, FOX HD , CW HD, etc.).

In fact, many people that don't want to pay for a HDTV cable service don't realize that they can watch all local HD broadcasts if they just remove the box and let the TV autoscan the channels.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

TBIRDLVR

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TBIRDLVR
anyboatyourow wrote:You'd better watch it.
The ACLU, TSA, and, maybe, the DOJ will not like the insinuation that all assassins and terrorists are males with long, bushy beards.

Everyone with any proper breeding knows that assassins and terrorists can be females, the elderly, or even small children.

Come on, get with the enlightenment of the age.

Please name me one small child terrorist?

dkalnz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dkalnz

Of course his beard is gross! He's the iconic guy from six dollar shirts that i keep seeing around the woot site

boomanbb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boomanbb

I'm in for one. Just what we needed to reward our daughter (and to get rid of that screeching old monster currently in her room)

Ben Boozer

zebraitis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zebraitis

Wiat, what?

No "If you lie with dogs, you get fleas"... ESPECIALLY with that beard?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Old doo-wop song comes to mind,

"Rip Van Winkle, Rip Van Winkle, sleep, sleep, sleep!

He fell asleep in the woods one day, spent most of his life that way. (doo-wah, doo-wah)

Rip Van Winkle, Rip Van Winkle, sleep, sleep, sleep!"

C'mon all you Jersey crooners, sing along!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

grenade01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grenade01

I have this TV because I needed a built in DVD player for a lobby room and just wanted the TV on the mount with no wires or external hardware.

It's kind of thick but not too bad, the picture is okay, the sound is obviously what you think a tv of this size and quality sounds like (but you know you can hear it so its good enough). It's not a bad TV. The dvd player works fine. I use it to play powerpoint presentations converted to DVD format in the lobby room of the place I work when important customers and such arrive. It suits my purposes perfectly and looks just fine on the wall minus that ugly orange bar at the bottom which I don't get.

rcichocki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcichocki

I don't think it will play dvd's from region 4. The US and North America is reg 1 only.

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
rcichocki wrote:I don't think it will play dvd's from region 4. The US and North America is reg 1 only.

Woot.com only ships to the United States so it would be really weird for them to have a region 4 DVD player.

vzesh05b

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzesh05b

I owned an RCA tv (32", no DVD player) for all of 10 months. The power board died on it, and RCA customer service is a nightmare to deal with. It should have been covered under warranty, but they gave me the runaround for months, and wanted to charge me more than the tv was worth new to fix it. I will never buy another RCA product again. I hope your luck is better than mine.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
morsedl wrote:There wouldn't be any point in that: Blu-ray is 1080i or 1080p, so even if it did have a Blu-ray player, the resolution it affords would have to be downscaled to 720p anyway...

That's still better than the 480p you get with a DVD.

smalc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smalc
thomas998 wrote:New 32 inch led Westinghouse TV on 1saleaday, also has free shipping. This is not led and not new, but has a DVD built in. In other words this is really not a good deal at all.

I've seen Westinghouse TV's playing in stores. Definitely second tier, or third, picture quality. No thanks.

snowblossom55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowblossom55

My phone line was accidently cut and I just got service, dicovered it yesterday evening.
And I missed the one item I've been waiting for! AND ITS SOLD OUT!!!!

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76
clintone wrote:Just my uninformed opinion...combos make me apprehensive.

A lot of people say that...a lot of people also love their a combo phone/PDA/camera/vidcam/GPS/music player/movie player/watch/alarm clock, which was more expensive than this deal.

I wonder what the Venn diagram overlap between those two sets of people is?

stoutybear1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stoutybear1

If you missed this Sweet Woot deal please you could check out their inferior competition. 1saleaday.com as they have a Westinghouse 32 in ch new TV for 199.99 free shipping I'm in for one frogging Sellouts! now I'm minus a DVD playah!

lmatter2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmatter2

I don't know about this particular unit, but last Christmas I replaced two 13" combo TV/VCRs with LCD/DVD combos (different makes). The family likes them, but on both of them the DVD player is the dumbest DVD player I have ever seen. You have to change inputs on the LCD (e.g., from cable to DVD) in order to eject the DVD. If you turn off the TV in the middle of the DVD and turn it on later, you have to start all over, previews and all.

On my $50 stand-alone sony player I can change DVDs (e.g., take out the grown-up movie and put in a kid's movie), and when I put an old one back in, it remembers where I left off. I guess I am spoiled by that.

cappo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages cappo
thomas998 wrote:I had an old Akai TV with the same resolution years back, when you tried to use it as a monitor you had black bands around the viewing area because there was no setting on the computer that would match the TV, the closest I could get was 1280 x 720 that resulting in a smaller usable screen than the expected 32 inch viewing area. I expect this to be the same thing. So if you are expecting to use this as a cheap big monitor you may be disappointed when you find that you don't get a 32 inch screen you get closer to a 30 inch screen.

Years ago being the operational term.

My current video card has a 1366x768 setting on it. And even that is about 2 and a half years old now.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

Darn... Sold out...

I waited too long.

danieloneil01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danieloneil01
KennyZ308 wrote:If this had a Blue Ray player, I would be all over this Woot.....

There's no added benefit having a bluray on such a small tv.

hastor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hastor

From the ad:

"With a 3000:1 contrast ratio, the TV produces darker blacks, brighter whites and more vivid colors"

THAN WHAT?

3000:1 is acceptable but nothing to brag about by a long shot, its pretty average, if not a little below these days. Still if you use descriptors like "darker", "brighter", "more vivid", they need a comparison or they are meaningless.

I have two feet, which allows me to run faster!

mrblonde13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrblonde13

Do people still use DVDs?

hastor

danieloneil01 wrote:There's no added benefit having a bluray on such a small tv.

There is still a benefit, especially on a set that can do 720p. Sure it is being downscaled from 1080p and you aren't seeing nearly the amount of detail stored on the Bluray, but it would look a lot better than a DVD, all of which are encoded at 480i (any 480p DVD output is being upscaled by the player).

Even on a standard def set, Blu-ray has the potential to look better due to the fact that there is less compression in place. Just like two releases of the same movie on DVD can look different if one is more compressed than the other. Granted, it wouldn't be a huge difference, but it would be different.

I personally have a 40" TV and can tell whether something is 720p or 1080p, so I'm sure 32" is enough to distinguish between 480i and 720p.

Also has a lot to do with how close you are sitting. If you are 3 feet from the set it will make a much bigger difference than it would at 10 feet.

hastor

mrblonde13 wrote:Do people still use DVDs?

Only when I have to, and there's no other way to watch something. Also makes sense for collections of old TV shows that were shot in 480i to begin with.

Everything else I go Blu-ray.

lob1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lob1

Hey can someone help me? says i bought 2 of the tv but i cant find where to see if i paid for it or the reciept.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
danieloneil01 wrote:There's no added benefit having a bluray on such a small tv.

There would be if you have Blu-ray DVDs and need such a player to view them.

cappo

hastor wrote:Only when I have to, and there's no other way to watch something. Also makes sense for collections of old TV shows that were shot in 480i to begin with.

Everything else I go Blu-ray.

Was anything truly shot in 480i?

cappo

TBIRDLVR wrote:Please name me one small child terrorist?

The No-Fly list is full of them.