killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

Lost in the Labyrinth: The Land of the Misfits IV

The journey that has come before:
In the Garden of Dorky Delights: The Land of the Misfits III
You, Dork! (Land of the Misfits II)
The Land of the Misfits...

The story began with one Misfit's isolation. Inhabitants slowly found their way to Misfit Land bringing fun, exploration and wonderment. In their recent history, their small society has fractioned and complexities have surrounded them. What will bind the Misfits together?

Reading through the last Misfits really helped me to develop the new thread name.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Woo hoo! FIrst response post!

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

I wouldn't be lost in this stupid labyrinth if I could've untangled Gordian's knot and played out the string!!!

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

bluebledthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebledthesea

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

HELP!!!!!

I've fallen and I can't reach my beer

AZGman

bluebledthesea wrote:

Cool pic! Très apropos!!

pblgov

bluebledthesea wrote:

<squeak squeak> is this the way to the cheese? oh shucks! it's another wall <squeak squeak>

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Hellllloooooooooooooooooooooooo?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pblgov

pooflady wrote:Hellllloooooooooooooooooooooooo?

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Josephus

Lynnzoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynnzoi

nice place you have here, dr kt

the subjects are responding nicely.....well within the normal limits of the test

stlwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlwooter

labyrinth =/= maze

Josephus

stlwooter wrote:labyrinth =/= maze

hm. Although I will concede that the original Labyrinth was the one in which the Minotaur was sequestered, the definition of 'labyrinth' is not limited to the first one.

lab·y·rinth
(lăb'ə-rĭnth') pronunciation
n.

a. An intricate structure of interconnecting passages through which it is difficult to find one's way; a maze.
b. Labyrinth Greek Mythology. The maze in which the Minotaur was confined.
2. Something highly intricate or convoluted in character, composition, or construction: a labyrinth of rules and regulations.
3. Anatomy.
a. A group of complex interconnecting anatomical cavities.
b. See inner ear.

[Middle English laberinthe, from Latin labyrinthus, from Greek laburinthos; possibly akin to labrus, double-headed axe, of Lydian origin.]

don'twantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

First Page!!!

Is the other one locked or did we just stop posting?
I don't want to try posting and take brownies last post away.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman

don'twantaname wrote:First Page!!!

Is the other one locked or did we just stop posting?
I don't want to try posting and take brownies last post away.

It's locked; if ya try to post it tells ya to go away or they will taunt you a second time . . .

slbrown83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slbrown83

Morning everyone!

AZGman

slbrown83 wrote:Morning everyone!

Howdy, s'83!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:

It's locked; if ya try to post it tells ya to go away or they will taunt you a second time . . .

Yeah, I just tried it.

Congratulations Brownie! Welcome to the last post club!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

slbrown83

don'twantaname wrote:

Yeah, I just tried it.

Congratulations Brownie! Welcome to the last post club!

I can't manage to get a bag of crizzap, so this will work

Are there any beifits to the club? I mean....secret handshakes or anything?

AZGman

slbrown83 wrote:

Shhhh . . . No . . .

slbrown83

AZGman wrote:

Shhhh . . . No . . .

Huh, wha........oooooooOOOOOOooooooohhhhhhhh

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

slbrown83 wrote:

Nope. Just a bunch of people saying congratulations and the oddly satisfying rush of getting last post.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

slbrown83

don'twantaname wrote:

Nope. Just a bunch of people saying congratulations and the oddly satisfying rush of getting last post.

Eh, I'll take it.

Ok, I am going to go make an attempt at building a fence. Bye everyone!

stlwooter

Josephus wrote:

hm. Although I will concede that the original Labyrinth was the one in which the Minotaur was sequestered, the definition of 'labyrinth' is not limited to the first one.

I should have said labyrinth does not always equal maze. There is a growing movement of reclaiming the single path labyrinth for meditation. Here is a snippet from a random website that had some info.

We are all on the path... exactly where we need to be. The labyrinth is a model of that path.

A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools.

A labyrinth is an archetype with which we can have a direct experience. We can walk it. It is a metaphor for life's journey. It is a symbol that creates a sacred space and place and takes us out of our ego to "That Which Is Within."

Labyrinths and mazes have often been confused. When most people hear of a labyrinth they think of a maze. A labyrinth is not a maze. A maze is like a puzzle to be solved. It has twists, turns, and blind alleys. It is a left brain task that requires logical, sequential, analytical activity to find the correct path into the maze and out.

A labyrinth has only one path. It is unicursal. The way in is the way out. There are no blind alleys. The path leads you on a circuitous path to the center and out again.

A labyrinth is a right brain task. It involves intuition, creativity, and imagery. With a maze many choices must be made and an active mind is needed to solve the problem of finding the center. With a labyrinth there is only one choice to be made. The choice is to enter or not. A more passive, receptive mindset is needed. The choice is whether or not to walk a spiritual path.

At its most basic level the labyrinth is a metaphor for the journey to the center of your deepest self and back out into the world with a broadened understanding of who you are.

killingtime

stlwooter wrote:
At its most basic level the labyrinth is a metaphor for the journey to the center of your deepest self and back out into the world with a broadened understanding of who you are.

Interesting...and welcome all.

Josephus

stlwooter wrote:
I should have said labyrinth does not always equal maze. There is a growing movement of reclaiming the single path labyrinth for meditation. Here is a snippet from a random website that had some info.

We are all on the path... exactly where we need to be. The labyrinth is a model of that path.

A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools.

A labyrinth is an archetype with which we can have a direct experience. We can walk it. It is a metaphor for life's journey. It is a symbol that creates a sacred space and place and takes us out of our ego to "That Which Is Within."

Labyrinths and mazes have often been confused. When most people hear of a labyrinth they think of a maze. A labyrinth is not a maze. A maze is like a puzzle to be solved. It has twists, turns, and blind alleys. It is a left brain task that requires logical, sequential, analytical activity to find the correct path into the maze and out.

A labyrinth has only one path. It is unicursal. The way in is the way out. There are no blind alleys. The path leads you on a circuitous path to the center and out again.

A labyrinth is a right brain task. It involves intuition, creativity, and imagery. With a maze many choices must be made and an active mind is needed to solve the problem of finding the center. With a labyrinth there is only one choice to be made. The choice is to enter or not. A more passive, receptive mindset is needed. The choice is whether or not to walk a spiritual path.

You know they're full of b.s., right?

The labyrinth of Theseus (I think?) was full of blind dead ends etc. He had to tie a string behind him to allow him to know his way out. It did not have only one path, but many, only one of which led him to the center. and his fate. The implication of their description is that if you start on the path of a labyrinth, you inexorably end up at the center. That suggests that you cannot get lost on the way in a labyrinth, and if that's true, then there is no point to it at all. It is just a way to take longer to get to the end. A sort of drunkard's walk to the center.

I suggest that the British made up formal gardens with 'labyrinths' as pretty patterns to look at and walk through, which did have only one way through and were only a convoluted path with no splits or choices to be made in walking them. Pointless.
There's no message to be learned there, I think.

AZGman

I thought labyrinth was lip wash for lisping people.

stlwooter

Josephus wrote:

You know they're full of b.s., right?

The labyrinth of Theseus (I think?) was full of blind dead ends etc. He had to tie a string behind him to allow him to know his way out. It did not have only one path, but many, only one of which led him to the center. and his fate. The implication of their description is that if you start on the path of a labyrinth, you inexorably end up at the center. That suggests that you cannot get lost on the way in a labyrinth, and if that's true, then there is no point to it at all. It is just a way to take longer to get to the end. A sort of drunkard's walk to the center.

I suggest that the British made up formal gardens with 'labyrinths' as pretty patterns to look at and walk through, which did have only one way through and were only a convoluted path with no splits or choices to be made in walking them. Pointless.
There's no message to be learned there, I think.

Not knowing the intricacies of myth evolution, language translation, and such, I don't know if the word labyrinth has evolved over time. Currently, however, there are a group of people from many faiths or no faiths who have claimed part of the word to represent these paths. I have actually been to one and used it for meditation. Sometimes taking longer is the point.

stlwooter

AZGman wrote:I thought labyrinth was lip wash for lisping people.

other set of lips, other kind of wash

AZGman

stlwooter wrote:
Not knowing the intricacies of myth evolution, language translation, and such, I don't know if the word labyrinth has evolved over time. Currently, however, there are a group of people from many faiths or no faiths who have claimed part of the word to represent these paths. I have actually been to one and used it for meditation. Sometimes taking longer is the point.

I suspect k'time will have to decide in which context she meant labyrinth . . . anything else would belabor the point.

m.wiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m.wiseman

Good God. Is it time to lock this thing down yet?

AZGman

m.wiseman wrote:Good God. Is it time to lock this thing down yet?

Almost there!!

pblgov

m.wiseman wrote:Good God. Is it time to lock this thing down yet?

Last Post

you can lock it down now.....

AZGman

pblgov wrote:

Last Post

you can lock it down now.....

Labyrinth Path . . .

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

last post?

First Page??

Ban me!!

killingtime

My, my...

And people say I overanalyze things...(of course, I do.)

Well, truthfully, here's what I was thinking - good, bad or indifferent.

#1. I wanted to come up with a setting. A place. I had several choices in my head some of which were suggested i.e. Island. I figured I might save that one (and the others floating in my head for later threads.)

#2. I was also interested in transformation. I didn't want it to be disjointed.

I thought - a misfit comes across a foreign land where he/she is alone, slowly others that are like-minded inhabit the same space (The Land of the Misfits...).

The misfit begins to socialize and become familiar with others (You, Dork! Land of the Misfits II).

The misfit begins to explore the land and discovers a garden only imaginable in dreams (In the Garden of Dorky Delights: The Land of the Misfits III).

The misfit society fractions, people are not who they seem, socialization seems to lessen and the misfit finds himself/herself lost in a labyrinth and continually searching. Paths divert leading to good and to evil. (Lost in the Labrinth: The Land of the Misfits IV).

#3. I read through the old misfits thread and tried to figure out what the predominent feeling I got from it. With the new people who have come to our forums, trying to figure out their personalities, the anxst of older favorite wooters leaving us and fractured friendships, the predominent feelings I had was the state of being unsettled or confused.

#4. A few Cure songs also came to mind to help cement the name of the thread "A Forest" & "Labyrinth"

#5. Labyrinths are just cool visuals whether they are like the ones stlwooter describes or the ones the rest of us picture in our heads. My mind's eye labyrinth is almost always English/European (this one depicted above is actually Labyrinth of Horta in Barcelona.) I chose a labyrinth with water in the center because water is a calming element to me. A potential goal.

#6. The statue holds two empty bowls marked good and evil. Choices made will determine if a path either leads to tranquility or to chaos.

AZGman

And I thought it was just a cool new name . . .

killingtime

AZGman wrote:And I thought it was just a cool new name . . .

That, too!

Josephus

killingtime wrote:My, my...

And people say I overanalyze things...

ok. whatever.

killingtime

I wonder if PWA will close today?