Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Used to be, if you wanted to tell your online pals what you were buying, you had to go somewhere like Facebook or Twitter and type something like "Just scored a sweet new nose-hair trimmer - look out, ladies!!!" Then you'd have to field questions about how much you paid for it, and what brand it is, and the awesome deal-a-day site you scored it from, and before you know it you've got an unpaid part-time job as a nose-hair-trimmer consultant.

Not anymore. Woot has struck up a partnership with Blippy, a new social-commerce site that lets you sync up your customer accounts at places like Amazon, iTunes, and Netflix so you can effortlessly show your friends your consumer side. (Blippy is also founded by longtime wooter and F'ed Company founder Philip Kaplan, so we're a natural match.)  We're the first retailer to get on the Blippy partnership train, and we're also the first to allow account integration using the secure OAuth methods. Which, for you English speakers, means you can connect to your Woot account without sharing your Woot username and password with Blippy. And we're looking into developing a button at the end of our checkout process to let you click over and start sharing purchases right away. For now, sign up at Blippy, start an account, and connect to Woot from the Accounts page. If you'd like a preview, here's what other wooters are currently sharing.

Of course, many of you will think it's crazy to reveal what you're buying. Maybe it is. If the idea freaks you out, RUN AWAY! (Or just sign up to shop-stalk your friends.) Blippy does gives you the ability to temporarily turn off sharing, or to only show your purchases to your approved friends. But don't come crying to us if you use it and give away that birthday surprise or alert thieves about that BOC waiting on your porch. That goes double if you're also a fan of all those other social-networking apps that tell the world where you are at the moment and what you're eating and where you hide your spare house key. As for us, while we'll try Blippy, we might not quite be ready to attach it to our bank accounts just yet.

If there are any other social-media projects like this that you think need a little dose of Woot, let us know in the comments. Woot was the first retailer on Twitter, we were among the earliest to offer RSS feeds, and now we're the first to join forces with Blippy. Like the guy with chronic halitosis at a square dance, we're always looking for partners.

Quality Posts

• (11:03 AM, 1/21/2010) [STAFF] dave bug assures us that it is opt-in only.
  • (11:11 AM, 1/21/2010) [STAFF] dave bug clears up what will be shared if you choose to opt-in.

smsung

quality posts: 9 Private Messages smsung

Pretty cool. As a retail partner, will Woot have access to the data? It might be useful in selecting items for future sale. That is, assuming that the Wooters that use Blippy are representative of the broad Wooting population. I also think it is interesting that Woot staffers don't get an employee discount. And, they don't have any advantage in Boggy Old Creature purchases? Very democratic. I love it.

N8Gr878

quality posts: 1 Private Messages N8Gr878

Will ANY of my info be shared with this Blippy person if I don't do anything?

Do I have to opt-out of sharing my information, purchases or otherwise?

moremoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moremoose

Hey, Blippy is my fake email name! Now I have to find a new one.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
N8Gr878 wrote:Will ANY of my info be shared with this Blippy person if I don't do anything?

Do I have to opt-out of sharing my information, purchases or otherwise?

Nope, it's definitely opt-in only. If you don't do anything, Blippy gets no information at all about you (or even would know that you exist).

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug

Ah, seems like a good place to clarify exactly what Blippy can see. If you opt-in (sign up for Blippy, go to Blippy, add Woot, and approve the connection), here's what's shared:

• Your username (and not your Woot email address)

For everything you've bought on any of the Woot sites:

• Sale title, thumbnail & URL
  • Amount spent, reflecting tax & shipping & any coupon code
  • Quantity
  • Date purchased
  • Which Woot site (shirt/kids, etc.)

If you disconnect your account (via account.woot.com) they can't get any future info. If you delete your account (at blippy) they delete all your information. Since we've worked with them to use OAuth, they never get your password or any other information.

N8Gr878

quality posts: 1 Private Messages N8Gr878
dave bug wrote:Nope, it's definitely opt-in only. If you don't do anything, Blippy gets no information at all about you (or even would know that you exist).

That's because I don't exist.

This isn't the post you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

Right, important point. Blippy is a separate thing from Woot that you can sign up for if you want to.

Or, if you're like me, that you would never sign up for in a million years, and that's also fine.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
matthew wrote:Right, important point. Blippy is a separate thing from Woot that you can sign up for if you want to.

Or, if you're like me, that you would never sign up for in a million years, and that's also fine.

Resistance is Futile.

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

This fits in quite well with Woot's "You don't need it and it probably isn't good for you, but we're not going to stop you from buying or using it. In fact, we'll even use reverse psychology to make you think you really want it" philosophy. If a company could go to college, Woot would be a philosophy major.

It's close, but not as bad as Credit Karma, who wants you to share your credit score on Facebook.

I don't know what is becoming of this world.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

so I was gutsy and had my Amazon account linked in over at Blippy for a time, and then I came home from work earlier this week -- my wife wanted me to approve of gift purchase for baby shower she was attending. It was a breast pump. And on the same ticket she was buying a flowing chocolate tower food thing of some sort to also bring to be baby shower...

talk about hard to explain! (I disconnected my amazon account immediately!)

specialops787

quality posts: 3 Private Messages specialops787

If Woot! is the first official retail partner than what is iTunes, Amazon, and Zappos? Are they unofficial? Or did they just jump on the boat slightly after Woot!?

vtmiller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vtmiller

This Blippy thing needs to show the love to hose hat share their purchase love to be truly sucessful... Here's what I mean: Groupon- the social coupon crowd sourcing site has sold $100,000,000 in stuff in just a tart- and has been valued 3x that already because of one reason... Those that share and help spread the word on deals benefit from that activity. If Blippy had a built in viral affiliate module to pay out a referral fee on click through's - you'd have a true hit on your hands... Give'th, to recieve'th is the new trend.
Chris

PS: let me know if you'd also like some video woot love by allowing your Blippy or Woot'ies to drop a BubbleTweet video comment on he Twitter network after each purchase also- we could share the revenue ad love!
Http://www.bubbletweet.com

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
specialops787 wrote:If Woot! is the first official retail partner than what is iTunes, Amazon, and Zappos? Are they unofficial? Or did they just jump on the boat slightly after Woot!?

Support for those retailers involves sharing your password with blippy and screen scraping your account page - not a partnership. Woot uses oauth to keep your login info secure.

harder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harder

Steven Colbert talked about Blippy on his show last night! Next thing you know, he'll actually be woot'ing. :P

Link to video

It didn't sound like something for me when I first heard about it on Woot and TechCrunch. But after seeing it there I thought what the hell and linked my Woot account, along with Netflix. Too scared to link it to my actual credit card though.

http://blippy.com/kevinharder