WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

by Jason Hinklin-Lauderdale

Hey, Steve. Woot here.

So we heard about your resignation as Apple's CEO late yesterday and, we've gotta tell you, we're still a little shaken by it. Not that we didn't see it coming, of course. It's mostly because we really didn't have any jokes prepared for it. Rutledge says we're gonna have to take a pay cut for that little oversight. Looks like we’ll all have to buy the really cheap Ramen for a while. Again.

Look, we know we've had our little differences, Stevie. Sure, we poked fun at you, your products, your company, and your wild, quirky ways A LOT over the years or made mockery of your "Stevenotes" on Twitter. But it was all out of love, buddy. Well, let's say 95% of it was, anyway. So, if you don't mind, we'd like to take a moment to say thanks for all the things you accomplished that turned out pretty cool:

You convinced the music industry to finally start thinking digitally, allowing millions of us the joy of carrying our music collections on our hips.

You took back the black turtleneck back from the beatniks and made it into an icon.

You made it possible for our bosses to shackle us with your pocket-sized electronic leashes that make it nearly impossible to escape work-related communication during our off hours. Okay, so maybe that was Blackberry's fault, but you did it with sass.

You transformed the way CEOs deal with the press.

You may or may not have successfully killed your Ninja Master's assassin during a trip to Japan.

Your company released new iPods and iPhones almost every year, ensuring that we always have a refurbished version to sell on our humble site.

You made tech sexy and sleek, and turned a nation of people who spent most of their youth hiding from bullies in computer labs into uppity elitists who giggle condescendingly when they see someone with an Android device.

Oh, and one more thing...

You were the underdog that dreamt and innovated his way to being top dog. No matter what, no matter how much static you got from tech bloggers, competing companies, or even your own company way back in 1985, you did things your way. It's really no wonder that you were made Chairman of the Board after your announcement yesterday. After all, you've been the Frank Sinatra of Silicon Valley for a long time now. That deserves a respectful tip of the hat in our book.

And here at Woot!, a respectful tip of the hat means embedding a photo montage set to Apple's 1984 theme song "Breaking Through" that we found on the Internet into a blog post.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

"You convinced the music industry to finally start thinking digitally, allowing millions of us the joy of carrying our music collections on our hips."

Wait - am I missing something?
As far as I can tell, that sounds sincere.
Where's the sarcasm???

dfjdejulio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dfjdejulio

So, there's one other detail about what he did that I'm sure most people just don't care about and aren't very aware of, but to a few of us out here, it's an important detail.

Just like Dave Thomas (the founder of Wendy's, not the actor), he did all of the above as someone who was adopted.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

A marvelous tribute to a great man.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
DennisG2010 wrote:"You convinced the music industry to finally start thinking digitally, allowing millions of us the joy of carrying our music collections on our hips."

Wait - am I missing something?
As far as I can tell, that sounds sincere.
Where's the sarcasm???

Sometimes we're capable of sincerity. It doesn't happen often, so catch it while you can.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

jbreedlove

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jbreedlove
klozitshoper wrote:A marvelous tribute to a great man.

Let's not get carried away. This is someone who used his money to game the transplant system.

http://www.slate.com/id/2281668/

jerralb

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jerralb

The Rio is what first put digital music on my hip. No ipod or itunes for me. A rockboxed Sansa Fuse is my current choice.

matrim108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matrim108
jbreedlove wrote:Let's not get carried away. This is someone who used his money to game the transplant system.

I find it hard to hold this against him, as I, as well as the vast majority of other people, would do the same thing. After all, his life's at stake.

wozzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wozzy

Say what ya want, but personally I am thankful to the guy for making my retirement portfolio all that it is today. Thanks Steve!

rolandobonilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rolandobonilla
jbreedlove wrote:Let's not get carried away. This is someone who used his money to game the transplant system.

Wouldn't you? I would...

klozitshoper

Here is a guy who has accomplished an astonishing amount in his years and who is suffering from a fatal disorder that apparently has gained control so much that he feels he cannot continue to run the company that he loves. There are always people who can find something negative to say in every situation as inappropriate as it may be.

klozitshoper

Jason Toon wrote:Sometimes we're capable of sincerity. It doesn't happen often, so catch it while you can.

Good job, Jason. Probably not again in my lifetime, huh?

pute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pute
WootBot wrote:Look, we know we've had our little differences, Stevie. Sure, we poked fun at you, your products, your company, and your wild, quirky ways A LOT over the years.

Back in the heyday of the Woot contest, the #93 theme was Show us how Apple would re-brand an existing company. Many of the entries have died to hosting-site attrition, but many of the remaining ones are worth revisiting!

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

There are only 2 people I know that can wear a black turleneck and look that good, Steve Jobs and Sterling Archer.....

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
klozitshoper wrote:Good job, Jason. Probably not again in my lifetime, huh?

Depends on how you're living, I guess.

I'll pass the compliment on to Jason Hinklin-Lauderdale, the Woot writer who wrote this piece (not that you can tell from this forum page - we should fix that...)

klozitshoper

Jason Toon wrote:Depends on how you're living, I guess.

I'll pass the compliment on to Jason Hinklin-Lauderdale, the Woot writer who wrote this piece (not that you can tell from this forum page - we should fix that...)

That would be a good idea.

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76
jerralb wrote:The Rio is what first put digital music on my hip. No ipod or itunes for me. A rockboxed Sansa Fuse is my current choice.

But the Rio did not "convince the music industry to think digitally". If anything, it (and Napster, which fed the Rio's) convinced the music industry to hire lots and lots of lawyers to find people to "make an example of".

ondarkness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ondarkness