Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
fenderehx4ever wrote:I bought one of these in Dec for my dad.

My only complaint with the Galaxy?

KIES is aaaaaawful!!!! It makes iTunes seem downright liberating. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nope. Actually I feel it is quite the opposite. I hate i-Tunes. Just create a folder called Music and add subfolders with each type of music formats you want. Drag and drop... a no-brainer.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

fevans1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980

The Xoom does run Ice Cream Sandwich, if that's important.

keitht56 wrote:We have the Motorola Xoom (thank you Woot!) and the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Neither has been rooted (yet). Love both. Xoom has micro-SD, Samsung does not. Samsung comes with USB adapter - very cool. Galaxy will charge over micro-USB, Xoom will not. Samsung has slightly better display according to the specs. Both look awesome. Motorola has ICS, Samsung does not, but that really doesn't matter. Samsung is MUCH lighter than the Xoom. It is soon to be discontinued, so there might be deeper discounts in the near future, but at this point in time, this is a great tablet for the price!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
sccaldwell wrote:I've used both, and here is the corrected version:

If you simply want to use a rock-solid product and are smart enouggh to realize that have better things to do with your life than screw around with trying to make a lousy product worthwhile, then get an iPad.

If you're living in your Mom's basement, have no real social life, and think it's "cool" to have to spend hours and hours trying to make a lousy product useful....then you can settle for a Galaxy Tab.

The hackers I know *LOVE* Android...understandably. The real people I know with real jobs and real lives hate it, but love their iPads. I have the technical expertise to be an Android-hacker, but since I have better things to do, I now use an iPad.

And don't forget, ALL Android tablets are essentially obsolete when you buy them.

Why? Because (1) they don't sell a lot of any particular model, (2) each model has slightly different hardware requirements than the other, therefore the Android software (and often the apps, too!) have to be modified to work on each different Android tablet, therefore (3) it simply isn't worthwhile for Samsung, HTC, or whoever to waste time porting Ice Cream Sandwich or Honey-nut Toffee or Butterscotch Brownie (or whatever other inane name Google uses) in order for those few hundred people to be able to upgrade.

Instead, they leave them unsupported in hopes that they'll simply waste money buying *another* obsolete-when-shipped Android tablet.

The smart ones, however, upgrade to an iPad. (Note: The original, two-year-old iPad can still run the latest iPad/iOS software).

Finally, don't be fooled by these "bargain" tablets....statistically, Android tablet apps cost more than iPad tablet apps (often for the same app). Again, since they don't sell as many, the developers have to charge more per app in order to make it worthwhile to produce them. In the long run, you'll spend as much or more on an Android tablet.

I disagree on several points here:
1)I'm a Pharmacist (I guess you could still consider that a "real job"), and I prefer the Android system for several reasons: a)it's more configurable and can be customized to your own specifications b)it can run widgets (real ones- not the fake Apple ones c) I have not found a video yet that I need to transcode when using mx player (includes .mkv) d)I don't need Itunes to hold my hand to sync things, but if I want something like that-doubletwist is available
2)Stability of Android has improved greatly since it's inception especially considering the vast number of different devices that use it.
3)Although the Apps number fewer, they have ones that can do things that Apple can't ie Bluetooth DUN via pdanet tablet.
4)Depending on the device the hardware should almost be considered expendable after a few years- especially cell phones. New development in hardware and software make it almost silly to upgrade old devices- with the exception of devices that are higher end. For instance, the Asus Transformer got an OTA update to ICS about 2 weeks ago. You don't own technology you lease it, the fact that Apple can't multitask and that their OS does not change much makes it easy to upgrade old devices. Why would you keep a cellphone longer than 2 years? The batteries lose potential to hold charge, the newer screens are way better resolution, the processors become more multicore and power sparing. It's not like a PC that you can get 3-5 years out of. Tablets and Phones have a limited technological lifespan, so is it better to put R&D into newer better devices, or worry about being backward compatible with new OS.
5) I see no issue with the bargain tablets. If someone just wants and e-reader with light browsing-some of the bargain tablets will be fine. But just like anything- buyer beware of their limitations and stability.

In a perfect Apple world we would all be driving the same car, living in the same house, having the same family, same pets- and everyone would be happy because nothing looks out of place and everything is familiar. Android is about being unique, about letting people experiment- sometimes you get Frankenstein and sometimes you get Kelly LeBrock (circa Weird Science era).

I will take my Asus Transformer any day over your IPAD2 (even IPAD 3 bring it on) and use it at my real job with no regrets.

AutobahnSHO

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO
needitnow wrote:

Do the Androids (or more specifically this Android) have a similar feature to the iCloud?

Proably not as polished as iCloud, but your gmail account syncs phone, tablet, account on a computer. Calendar, contacts, apps. (Buy an app once, install on phone and tablet.)

Plus you can use sd cards to expand storage or move larger files...

gak0090

needitnow wrote:I've never been an Apple fanboy, but I did get an Ipad 2 and do love it. I am irritated by its closed system mindset though (as someone previously complained "hopping from app to app to deal with file editing and sharing as well as the inability to download online content on the fly and move it on and off of the iPad.")

Do the Androids (or more specifically this Android) have a similar feature to the iCloud?

https://www.sugarsync.com/

SugarSync is a free service that enables you to access, sync and share your files across all your computers and devices. We enable you to backup, sync and share all of your documents, photos, music and movies so that you can access them from your laptop, iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, or any other device

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just a short commercial interruption to remind y'all about the Woot! Clue! Game tonight at 11pm CST. We play 20 questions to let you guess the product coming up for sale on the site of my choice.

Tonight's game will be on Kids in the current product thread!

Now, back to the riveting discussion of Android vs iPad. It's interesting! Never seen this discussed on our forums before! [/sarcasm]

UPDATE: Fast game is over fast! Congrats to mellielou!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gak0090

Is it just me, or does anyone else out there think feminine hygiene product when they hear the word IPAD?

I guess if the IPAD 3 had a large screen, you could call it the maxIPAD

andyau1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyau1

Spend a few more bucks and get the tablet this one is copied from...the Ipad. Apple OS is much more user friendly than android OS. And yes I've owned an android tablet before I dumped it for an Ipad.

lancerc07

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lancerc07
gak0090 wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else out there think feminine hygiene product when they hear the word IPAD?

Everyone back in 2010.

It's a lot like the "Hah! It makes me think of pee!" comment associated with the Wii on its release. It's just not a fashionable joke anymore. Sorry.

HogsBigBen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HogsBigBen
sccaldwell wrote:If you're living in your Mom's basement

And that's where I stopped reading. Grow up.

gak0090

lancerc07 wrote:Everyone back in 2010.

It's a lot like the "Hah! It makes me think of pee!" comment associated with the Wii on its release. It's just not a fashionable joke anymore. Sorry.

What- not even the maxIPAD portion with the bigger screen? C'mon it's a little funny. I guess you could call the IPOD a minIPAD. Dude-I just can't stop.

frapz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frapz

I have just bought this item and I had a question about the shipping for any experienced buyers: I will only be at this address until Friday, which is 5 days. Will I receive it by that time? Also, if not, will I be able to switch addresses by calling FedEx and requesting a reroute without the company requiring approval? Because in my past when I have ordered online and had gotten the shipping wrong, I had to jump through hoops to get it rerouted.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

frapz wrote:I have just bought this item and I had a question about the shipping for any experienced buyers: I will only be at this address until Friday, which is 5 days. Will I receive it by that time? Also, if not, will I be able to switch addresses by calling FedEx and requesting a reroute without the company requiring approval? Because in my past when I have ordered online and had gotten the shipping wrong, I had to jump through hoops to get it rerouted.

This is being shipped SmartPost which means that FedEx will hand it off to your closest Post Office for final delivery.

Our policy is to get packages out the door within 5 business days. Sometimes it's soon, sometimes not.

Given that it has to be handed of to FedEx, then your Post Office, and then finally to your address.... I'm gonna say it most likely will not get there by Friday. It could but odds are, not.

If you need to change your address (perhaps to a friend's house or work?), email service@woot.com and they'll help you out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

frapz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frapz
ThunderThighs wrote:This is being shipped SmartPost which means that FedEx will hand it off to your closest Post Office for final delivery.

Our policy is to get packages out the door within 5 business days. Sometimes it's soon, sometimes not.

Given that it has to be handed of to FedEx, then your Post Office, and then finally to your address.... I'm gonna say it most likely will not get there by Friday. It could but odds are, not.

Thank you for your response.
If you need to change your address (perhaps to a friend's house or work?), email service@woot.com and they'll help you out.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645

i have the galaxy tab 10.1 32 GB, so awesome.
rooted and custom ROM'd. love android!!

i bought the sd card & usb adapters on amazon for $30 or so. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051D3KMG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details i use them every once in a while, but if the files are small i just use wifi file explorer

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645
fenderehx4ever wrote:I bought one of these in Dec for my dad.

My only complaint with the Galaxy?

KIES is aaaaaawful!!!! It makes iTunes seem downright liberating. Has anyone else experienced this?

why would u use a program if you dont have to...just think of it as a big flash drive with a normal folder structure. just copy and paste the songs from pc into a Music folder on the Tab

madcow706

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madcow706

Many took my comment and think I don't like Android. I like Android phones and tablets. I also like iOS phones and tablets. Honestly, everything considered, Apple products offer better overall experience out of the box. Their warranty service is stress free, and they pay for shipping to and from Apple (for warranty issues). I have tried to get support from Motorola for a Droid Razr (they paid for shipping as well, just ground instead of next day), and the service just isn't the same, they have had the phone for almost 2 weeks and its still not fixed. Apple fixed an iphone I sent within 3 days. The new iPad will have the highest resolution screen on a tablet and a better gpu then any tablet out there (the iPad 2's dual core GPU beat the Tegra 3, go look at the benchmarks). Android tablets are still trying to catch up with the iPad 2, instead of passing it. I admit, Android gets better after rooting it and putting in work to search for compatible apps for your specific device, but why do I have to work to make my device better? Its not like its that much faster, or that much lower in price, so what's the point in putting in the effort? So, out of the box, Android is not the better platform. The flash debate isn't a big deal, as mobile flash is dying. I am not defending either product. I don't care what you might buy, this is just my experience, my opinion of iOS vs Android. I am just stating that for a worry free experience out of the box, the iPad is better....for now. I have used iPads and Android tablets. Have most of you who ranted about my post even used an iPad or iPad 2? Don't hate on Apple for being successful. Try to be objective and look at the positives and negatives of each platform. While iOS has negatives, it has less negatives then Android.....for the moment.

jrstinkfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish
dh4645 wrote:why would u use a program if you dont have to...just think of it as a big flash drive with a normal folder structure. just copy and paste the songs from pc into a Music folder on the Tab

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but if you use Google Music, you don't even need to do that. It took me a couple of days to upload my entire collection, but now all of my music is accessible from my phone, tablet, or a computer from anywhere. And when you get new music, just drop it into the folder you tell Google Music to monitor, and it will be uploaded automagically. Buy music from GM, and you can access it just like your uploaded music. It's pretty smooth.

Of course, the downside is you need a data connection, which is why I do keep some music on my Transformer's SD card anyway.

eghazali

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eghazali
jrstinkfish wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but if you use Google Music, you don't even need to do that. It took me a couple of days to upload my entire collection, but now all of my music is accessible from my phone, tablet, or a computer from anywhere. And when you get new music, just drop it into the folder you tell Google Music to monitor, and it will be uploaded automagically. Buy music from GM, and you can access it just like your uploaded music. It's pretty smooth.

Of course, the downside is you need a data connection, which is why I do keep some music on my Transformer's SD card anyway.

One limitation with google music is with file size. Might not be an issue for regular songs, but it is a pain in the frak for audiobooks.

gak0090

madcow706 wrote:Many took my comment and think I don't like Android. I like Android phones and tablets. I also like iOS phones and tablets. Honestly, everything considered, Apple products offer better overall experience out of the box. Their warranty service is stress free, and they pay for shipping to and from Apple (for warranty issues). I have tried to get support from Motorola for a Droid Razr (they paid for shipping as well, just ground instead of next day), and the service just isn't the same, they have had the phone for almost 2 weeks and its still not fixed. Apple fixed an iphone I sent within 3 days. The new iPad will have the highest resolution screen on a tablet and a better gpu then any tablet out there (the iPad 2's dual core GPU beat the Tegra 3, go look at the benchmarks). Android tablets are still trying to catch up with the iPad 2, instead of passing it. I admit, Android gets better after rooting it and putting in work to search for compatible apps for your specific device, but why do I have to work to make my device better? Its not like its that much faster, or that much lower in price, so what's the point in putting in the effort? So, out of the box, Android is not the better platform. The flash debate isn't a big deal, as mobile flash is dying. I am not defending either product. I don't care what you might buy, this is just my experience, my opinion of iOS vs Android. I am just stating that for a worry free experience out of the box, the iPad is better....for now. I have used iPads and Android tablets. Have most of you who ranted about my post even used an iPad or iPad 2? Don't hate on Apple for being successful. Try to be objective and look at the positives and negatives of each platform. While iOS has negatives, it has less negatives then Android.....for the moment.

Just like your assumptions that are invalid, Apple is also full of pomp and hype:
Of course, Schiller didn't provide any hard facts like benchmarks and footnotes -- he merely spouted a generalized "we're better" presentation and a pretty graph (lol at shadows). Naturally most of us -- including Nvidia -- questions those claims. As ZDNet muses, "any [benchmark] chart has more footnotes than a commercial for antidepressants."

Ken Brown, a spokesman for Nvidia, said the company was actually flattered to be called out by Apple. But as most have already agreed, the claims are "sketchy" without additional hard evidence.

"We don’t have the benchmark information," said Brown. "We have to understand what the application was that was used. Was it one or a variety of applications? What drivers were used? There are so many issues to get into with benchmark."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Tegra-3-Apple-A5X-iPad-3-Asus,14950.html

Don't blame Android for being more successful smart phone 48.6% vs Iphone 29.5%

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/comscore_android_ios_increase_mobile_market_share

Don't believe the hype of the Apple clones.

terroh8er

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terroh8er

I'm going to try not to get myself into the flame war, but here is my experience. I owned an iPad 1 from the day it was released until the iPad 2 was about to be announced. I fell in love with the form factor. It's a beautiful device. I wasn't a big fan of iOS, but with iOS 4 comingout, I decided to spring for the iPad 2. Again, I was really impressed with the form factor, but I noticed no difference in terms of performance and never used the cameras, so it wasn't a huge jump for me. I sold my iPad 2 last week after playing with ICS and I bought the Galaxy Tab. In my opinion, ICS exceeds iOS in terms of "polish", which Apple had the upper hand in for a while. But also, I just can't stand iOS. A lot of people say that all you need to do is jailbreak it and it will be free and open, but I was sincerely disappointed by jailbreak apps. How many different themes could you possibly want? Why is the most popular app, SBSettings, a fancy way to toggle off WiFi? When it comes to useful, well-made JB apps, there was XBMC and that's about it. I was also looking for a way to upload torrents and manage uTorrent (there are many possibilities freely available on Android) and I could not find any that worked. One would think this would be pretty popular considering the million+ downloads on the Android market for these apps.

In my opinion, Android is the natural middle between the functionality of a PC and that of a cell phone. I don't have to worry about plugging it into my computer and resyncing, hoping that it won't delete all my stuff because I moved a folder on my computer or something. Sure, the learning curve is slightly higher, but there are benefits to it in the end. And iOS has nice advantages as well, but I didn't need/use them personally.

stmcub04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stmcub04

I assume this may be on the website somewhere, but just curious as to what, if any, kind of warranty comes with this refurbished item?

terroh8er

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terroh8er

90 days, provided by Nuko.

I have a question too. Are these factory refurbished? I ask because I once ordered something that was refurbished from another website and it looked they got it from a yard sale. They didn't even wipe the dust off. To me, refurbished items should be in "like new" condition.

prabhat302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prabhat302

I am so excited about it, but someone did confused me by saying "refurbished" stuff isn't good , any ideas ??

wizechatmgr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizechatmgr
madcow706 wrote:Many took my comment and think I don't like Android. I like Android phones and tablets. I also like iOS phones and tablets. Honestly, everything considered, Apple products offer better overall experience out of the box. Their warranty service is stress free, and they pay for shipping to and from Apple (for warranty issues). I have tried to get support from Motorola for a Droid Razr (they paid for shipping as well, just ground instead of next day), and the service just isn't the same, they have had the phone for almost 2 weeks and its still not fixed. Apple fixed an iphone I sent within 3 days. The new iPad will have the highest resolution screen on a tablet and a better gpu then any tablet out there (the iPad 2's dual core GPU beat the Tegra 3, go look at the benchmarks). Android tablets are still trying to catch up with the iPad 2, instead of passing it. I admit, Android gets better after rooting it and putting in work to search for compatible apps for your specific device, but why do I have to work to make my device better? Its not like its that much faster, or that much lower in price, so what's the point in putting in the effort? So, out of the box, Android is not the better platform.

Some of us like things we can tinker with without a NDA or lawsuit aimed at us for doing so. Some of us LIKE to learn

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

Galaxy Tab 10.1” w/ SD Card Reader has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

infinitewellness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infinitewellness
jnevil wrote:**Shipping Update**

Galaxy Tab 10.1” w/ SD Card Reader has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

Well I put in my order number in and it did not find it nor is I get an email about it shipping. I ordered mine Sunday.

richard6354

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richard6354
infinitewellness wrote:Well I put in my order number in and it did not find it nor is I get an email about it shipping. I ordered mine Sunday.

Apparently SmartPost means your local mail service. Which means, it's a bit faster than snail mail, maybe turtle speed. I ordered mine on Sunday as well and found out its not due to get delivered until the 20th. I wish I knew it would take 10+ days for shipping before I bought it.

jonahtke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonahtke

Mine arrived yesterday...for anyone concerned about quality it is absolutely perfect

prabhat302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prabhat302

What color is it??

raineyday626

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raineyday626

My tracking page says that mine was delivered but it definitely was not. FedEx was no help, is there a number I can call to talk to someone at Woot?

bobmcelroy15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobmcelroy15
raineyday626 wrote:My tracking page says that mine was delivered but it definitely was not. FedEx was no help, is there a number I can call to talk to someone at Woot?

I have the same problem. From what I hear on the internet smart post may say delivered. While its actually not. Fedex delivers to the usps. Then they deliver it so if it says delivered yesterday hopefully it will get to you next day

mal208213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mal208213
bobmcelroy15 wrote:I have the same problem. From what I hear on the internet smart post may say delivered. While its actually not. Fedex delivers to the usps. Then they deliver it so if it says delivered yesterday hopefully it will get to you next day

Apparently the postman knocked our door on 20th morning but no one responded. So he left a note in the mail box to pick it up from post office... on the same day evening I got the postman delivering mails and asked him .. So he said he'd deliver it once again today.. yet to check the status now