evb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages evb

I bought my Dell Streak 7 about a year ago and have not had one single issue with it. Absolutely love it. Mine was also a T-Mobile model. I called Dell Support and got the unlock code. I use it with my AT&T SIM card. Very rarely do I have a problem getting a 3G/4G signal. Picks up WiFi quite well too. I have no complaints about the battery life, although I do keep a charger handy.

I have used my Streak as a GPS while traveling distances ranging from 10 mile to 1,800 miles round trip. Google maps are accurate and give spoken turn, by turn directions.

Using a 3.5mm cable the Streak can be connected to your home or car stereo. Sounds excellent whether playing Slacker, Pandora or your own pre-loaded music.

The Motorola Xoom Bluetooth keyboard works great with both the Streak 5 & 7. Amazon has it for $34.99.

The Dell Streak Home USB 2.0 Docking Station - $35.00 at Amazon – also works with both the Streak 5 & 7. The dock allows you to connect your Streak using an HDMI cable to your TV for 1080p streaming. You can view Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, content from an SD card or from the Streak’s internal memory. Great for traveling when using the hotel's free WiFi.

The Streak can be updated to Honeycomb. From what I have read, ICS is geared more toward phones, not tablets?

This is a very versatile little tablet. The only thing it is not is a phone. That’s what my Streak 5 is for.

gwfahey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwfahey

I am posting this using the Dell Streak 7 I currently own. I essentially got this for free because of a T-Mobile promotion. I recently dropped it and cracked the glass. Dell wants $250 for a repair; I may as well get a whole new device and do it myself.
Aside from the display, most issues are minimized after loading Honeystreak (custom ROM).

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

Terrible deal. Dell had been trying to get rid of their old stock of these tablets for a long time now. As other users have mentioned, it has atrocious screen quality. To put in perspective, newer cell phones with 4 inch screens pack more pixels (higher resolution) than this tablet. Here are some reviews from reputable sites :

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/dell-streak-7/4505-3126_7-34468625.html
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/dell-streak-7-review/
http://www.slashgear.com/dell-streak-7-review-31129564/
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/dell-streak-7-review/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/31/review-dell-streak-7/

In summary, the best thing about this tablet is flash-enabled camera, Tegra 2 processor, and storage.

Almost all reviews found screen quality and sensitivity to be lacking. Considering how important screen is to the quintessential tablet experience, be very careful about this issue.

And for the user who is a bit confused about ICS, it is designed to be a universal OS a la iOS. While technically it is true that HC is specifically designed for tablet, and that ICS is for both, ICS is still a superior OS for both tablets and phones.

Lastly, Dell will no longer provide updates for Streak products.

I am not responsible for this post.

mavigdor

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mavigdor

anyone knows if it works with an international sim card for the 3G data??? ( for example, i travel a lot to Brazil other countries, and I have local SIM CARDS on those countries...I wish to know if I can isert a local SIM CARD to obtain the 3G service data....

if it was form AT&T, i was sure it was ok (iPad teste already)..but from T-Mobile...I don't know.....

thanks!

Locknar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Locknar

While I've not evaluated this specific unit, I have looked at other Dell Tablets; all under perform. That aside, Dell Support is simply awful.

We have "next day" on site support; what we get is endless phone calls, "next day" = 3 - 4 days (not including weekends), wrong parts shipped, etc.

michellerea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michellerea

This is being offered on Sell-out Woot for only $199

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks
michellerea wrote:Interesting that this same tablet is being offered today on Sellout Woot for only $199

I believe that is wifi only, no?

I am not responsible for this post.

michellerea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michellerea
clanecks wrote:I believe that is wifi only, no?

True - but for the price difference if you don't want to have (and pay for) a T-mobile account it seems like a better deal to me.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

If you want a 7" form factor,you don't need 3g/4g, and don't mind the 800 x 480 resolution, I would buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858654004

This 7" Alpha 2 skypad is $150 ($130 on sale). Pop in a 32gb micro SD fo about $20 (on sale) and you have a decent little tablet that can easily be updated to ICS via the manufacturers website, with the real playstore and everything. The tablet comes unlocked. The processor is one core @ 1.2 ghz with a good mali400 video processor. Its performance is not sluggish. It only has a front facing VGA camera (for videochat), so the camera is lacking as compared to todays deal, but it comes in at 60% of the price of todays deal.

After playing with the skypad (that I will giving to son for his 7th birthday), I liked it for games, and watching movies, vidoechat etc. As far as surfing, the resolution of 800x480 has something to be desired and generally you need to resize the page to read it. I am somewhat spoiled though, since my Rezound has a 4.3 inch display using a 1280 x 720 resolution.

Depending on what your primary use is, 800 x 480 resolution on a 7inch tab may or may not work for you. Either way the deal today is overpriced especially when for $50 more you can get a refurb Asus Transformer 10.1"

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1315&SubCategory=2557&name=ASUS-Tablets

mdoodeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdoodeman

I bought this tablet when K-Mart was selling them 6 months ago for $279. I love it. The battery life isn't great, but I bought a portable usb charger/battery thing from Amazon which will fully charge the tablet 3 or 4 times on a single charge. This has mitigated the battery issue for me completely.

Also, if you aren't willing to sign a contract with T-Mobile, http://www.mysimplemobile.com offers contract-free data only plans which work well with the tablet.

AT&T has issues with the tablet, they want to put it on their $60 data plan. The network won't allow it to be on a tablet plan for some reason.

Somaone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Somaone
evb wrote: The Streak can be updated to Honeycomb. From what I have read, ICS is geared more toward phones, not tablets?

Just to clarify a bit, ICS is supposed to be the Android OS to defragment the Android ecosystem across phones and tablets. Apps and such written for ICS are expected to scale and work for either type of platform. Of course, in an open development environment, YMMV.

Otherwise, thanks for the personal info - I'm wanting a (toy) tablet, but admittedly undecided.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

This will go well with your Dell Axim and Dell DJ!

pollock56th

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pollock56th

I got one of these last week directly from Dell (slick deals). I paid 179 plus tax free shipping. The main reason I bought was to use my existing sim card with at as really big phone. This will not work as a phone and my sim card will not even let me use the tablet. So beware that to use it with t-mobile you will have to buy a data plan separate STRIKE 1.

The battery life is total crap. I used it in place of my touchpad for a day and the battery dropped after 3 hours of use. The touchpad goes a full day under the same conditions. STRIKE 2.

My tablet came with honeycomb OS pre-installed. Honeycomb did not impress me at all, I am so used to using WEBOS from the touchpad. HP really had a nice OS I hope the open source thing takes off for WEBOS. STRIKE 3.

The screen is not horrible if you are directly in front of it and it seams to be a solid device. Netflix played silky smooth through it I don't really game so I cannot comment on the performance there, the hardware specs it has I imagine it plays games very well. This would be a decent deal at 149 dollars, 249 seams way too much in my opinion.

jwracca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwracca

Sellout woot has same item cheaper???

pollock56th

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pollock56th
jwracca wrote:Sellout woot has same item cheaper???

This has simcard abilities.

larrydes4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larrydes4

I have the Dell Streak 5, don't count on any updates or upgrades. If you are a tech head and know how to break and apply ROMS yourself it may be woth it, its still a bit pricey.

Pyroartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyroartist
notaguru wrote:I've had both the 5" and 7" Streak tablets, and both were excellent.

I don't see where the 7 inch tablet has a GPS in it where the 5 inch has an excellent GPS chip. Why no GPS? It is not listed in the specs.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Well looky there...a new lower price.

If you purchased before the price was changed, fear not, you too will benefit from the lower price.

Now, go forth and buy 3!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

For reals? Do you mean the same dell steak 7" that is $199 at deals woot? I get to pay an extra $20 for the same thing? Awesome!!

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

ThunderThighs

Staff

hosesplus wrote:For reals? Do you mean the same dell steak 7" that is $199 at deals woot? I get to pay an extra $20 for the same thing? Awesome!!

This model has the 3G. The one on Sellout is Wi-Fi only.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

richmondcontingent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richmondcontingent

Why would you buy this when Samsung's 2nd generation 7" tablet running ICS starts shipping in less than a week, and it's $250 new? Our IT dept has one of these units for app testing, and Dell has basically disavowed any knowledge of its existence -- zero support.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
richmondcontingent wrote:Why would you buy this when Samsung's 2nd generation 7" tablet running ICS starts shipping in less than a week, and it's $250 new? Our IT dept has one of these units for app testing, and Dell has basically disavowed any knowledge of its existence -- zero support.

I guess the reason would be is at this price it includes wifi and 3g/4g, where the new samsung one for $250 will be wifi only.

streger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages streger

So confused....
Checked the site this morning and see the Streak refurb for $219 here, and the exact same Streak refurb on sellout.woot for $199 ($20 cheaper). Or maybe it is just early and the sellout version doesn't have 3G option - either way, now ya know.

[Thunderthighs: Correct. This has 3G. The one on Sellout is Wi-Fi only]

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
ThunderThighs wrote:Well looky there...a new lower price.

If you purchased before the price was changed, fear not, you too will benefit from the lower price.

Now, go forth and buy 3!

Appreciate the lower price TT, but honestly in the currently market for 7" tablets the real winning price for this would be $199, especially since this is a refurb of a discontinued model.

And the WiFi only model would best be $179... right now it's just in direct competition to the superior (and not refurbished) Kindle Fire, which costs the exact same.

jojoinnit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jojoinnit

Looking forward to a full day of people just skimming the headline and being angry that sellout.woot has the same thing for cheaper.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Pyroartist wrote:I don't see where the 7 inch tablet has a GPS in it where the 5 inch has an excellent GPS chip. Why no GPS? It is not listed in the specs.

Just confirmed that this does have GPS capability.

ften

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ften
scottyb1025 wrote:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Streak-7-STREAK7-16GRAY-7-1GHz-16GB-Android-3.0-Honeycomb-OS-Gray/19243406

Good find, Wouldn't exactly call this a deal if I can buy it from Walmart normally (as in not just today) for the same price.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jojoinnit wrote:Looking forward to a full day of people just skimming the headline and being angry that sellout.woot has the same thing for cheaper.

Heh. There does seem to be a trend here. Love the smilie.

cracktower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cracktower

Almost purchased this a few weeks back and instead went with the toshiba thrive 10.1" screen for the same price. The streak has a poor, and I mean, poor screen resolution. All else looked good but the screen, which is the most important thing being you look at it all the time, was the deal breaker.

jazzmark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazzmark

I use T-Mobile near Chicago (in the city and throughout the suburbs) and always have excellent service/reception. I could easily believe that their coverage is less good in other places, though.

As to the price of mobile-data, I was shocked to see their base prices when I clicked through the link from an earlier post. T-Mobile rewards their long term (18 and 24 months +)customers with profoundly lower rates.

If I had to pay what they're currently listing, I'd consider leaving, but my rate is basically half, so...

indus49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indus49

DO.NOT.BUY. I had this tablet for a week. Terrible. Battery lasted less than 2 hours with 3G or faux "4G" on. Very slow. You'd be better off getting a Kindle fire for $20 less. Worst tablet ever next to those crappy ones they sell at CVS and Walgreens.

itsme1964

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsme1964
cowboyesfan wrote:What does a T-Mobile data plan cost any how?

Will respond to two posters at once. 1st, here in my area I've been on t-mobile for years....In those years, I get great signal at home or on the road...I dont think i've ever even had a call drop on me.....I was on a biz plan, but found out a sneaky little trick....get rid of the 'plan', biz or regular and go with a 'no contract' plan for $50.00 a month with unlimited everything...calls...data...everything....The good thing is its cheap for unlimited everything....no contract your locked in to and etc....The other downside is data is capped at I thing 5g at 3g speed..once you exceed 5g in a 1 month period, it simply slows down your speed, but still unlimited and fast. I notice very little drop off in 'speed', once im over my 5g...very little...still very fast.....the other downside is on this type plan, you are not eligible for 'upgrades'...you want/need a new phone you need to buy it, unless you have the $3 a month insurance, in which case just brick it and you get a new one at no cost...not a biggie for me since getting an upgrade is not an issue for me since I can get phones cheap and even if I couldnt, the 'upgrades' really arent worth it to pay a far higher monthly rate...you pay more in 1 year this way...alot more....I'll keep my $50 a month unlimited everything and be happy im saving so much each year...as for this tablet.....Cant stand it...worst battery life i've ever seen...to many 'glitches'....freezes constantly needeing to be hard reset if you use it more then 15 minutes ot so..The screen resolution absolutely sucks,....MUCH BETTER TABLETS OUT THERE....This is not a good tablet for $100..I honestly would rather try one of the cheap china knock offs that suck bigtime as nothing can be as bad as this tablet and if its gonna suck, it should suck for less then $100...$250 for this 'sucky' tablet is absurd, in my opinion.

ThunderThighs

Staff

novastarj wrote:Appreciate the lower price TT, but honestly in the currently market for 7" tablets the real winning price for this would be $199, especially since this is a refurb of a discontinued model.

And the WiFi only model would best be $179... right now it's just in direct competition to the superior (and not refurbished) Kindle Fire, which costs the exact same.

Well, fine. If you insist. The price is now $199. No more requests will be taken though.

Also, the price on Sellout is now $149.

Just a reminder that if you purchased at a different price, you will get this new price via a refund on the charged amount.

Again I say, go forth and buy 3.

aolshove

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aolshove
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, fine. If you insist. The price is now $199. No more requests will be taken though.

Just a reminder that if you purchased at a different price, you will get this new price via a refund on the charged amount.

You guys freaking ROCK! In for one.

gak0090

Even at this new reduced price of $220, it's still overpriced by about $50. What serious good is 3G/4G on this tablet? People that are spending the money to have 3G/4G on their tablet are not going to want a tablet that only supports 800 x 480 resolution. I guess that is why it is being clearanced out. Woot needs to get more competitive on their pricing like they use to be pre Amazon.

jwiganosky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwiganosky

I have a Dell Streak w/4G, and I like it because I can use my regular Sim card from AT&T and get 4g with no other costs but my regular phone data plan. Android, and it does everything it should do, BUT THE BATTERY CHARGE LIFE IS NOT GREAT.
Buy it if you like the features, and plan on charging it at night.
I have the little bro, 5 inch Streak and LOVE IT for the same reasons, and it has a longer battery charge life

riga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riga

I have a couple questions. Is this unit locked onto T-Mobile? If not, what is involved in getting it to work with a different, pay-as-you-go sim card? And will it work on other (assuming GSM only) carrier's 4G networks, or only T-Mobile? TIA

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, fine. If you insist. The price is now $199. No more requests will be taken though.

Well that was unexpected. And awesome. Can I take credit for this?

FYI, the price is still listed at $199 on the deals.woot front page, though it's correct on the Sellout page itself.

[Thunderthighs: Yeah, we're having some issues getting the price changed on the Deals home page. The developers are looking into it. Darn computers.]

jwiganosky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwiganosky

Funny, I got an update for mine recently. Dell released sales to mainstream stores and is doing what Dell does: Working on the next thing. It has good screen quality, and you maybe should stop reading old posts on other sites from others and putting their comments here. Do your research. I did, and the only issue I have with mine? It has low battery life and it is not as light weight as some others its size.
Oh, and thanks for trying to educate the world about ICS. 200 bucks, not 2000. Keep it in perspective.

clanecks wrote:Terrible deal. Dell had been trying to get rid of their old stock of these tablets for a long time now. As other users have mentioned, it has atrocious screen quality. To put in perspective, newer cell phones with 4 inch screens pack more pixels (higher resolution) than this tablet. Here are some reviews from reputable sites :

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/dell-streak-7/4505-3126_7-34468625.html
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/dell-streak-7-review/
http://www.slashgear.com/dell-streak-7-review-31129564/
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/dell-streak-7-review/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/31/review-dell-streak-7/

In summary, the best thing about this tablet is flash-enabled camera, Tegra 2 processor, and storage.

Almost all reviews found screen quality and sensitivity to be lacking. Considering how important screen is to the quintessential tablet experience, be very careful about this issue.

And for the user who is a bit confused about ICS, it is designed to be a universal OS a la iOS. While technically it is true that HC is specifically designed for tablet, and that ICS is for both, ICS is still a superior OS for both tablets and phones.

Lastly, Dell will no longer provide updates for Streak products.

gak0090

Finally the price for the WIFI tablet is $149. This is an appropriate price for this tablet- so I bought one. This is the first time I ever saw Woot do price adjustments during the sale. Is this something new?