badapple702 wrote:Thanks, jrs1980 for the reply.
I understood everything you said for the most part, just need some more clarification (*Thank You* for your patience...)
1. When the TiVo box gets here, I just plug the coax "cable" cable into it, and I have to have a special card from Cox? And they'll just give it to me?
Just like in days of yore, when you would connect the cable jack to the back of your TV. The screw-in, second from the left. You then connect TiVo to your TV with HDMI or A/V cables. There's a quick-start guide in the box, you should be fine. You'll want to call Cox, let them know you have bought a TiVo and that you need a CableCARD. The slot for that is on the left side, next to the fan. They'll be well-used to that order, though they will probably insist on having someone come out to "install" it and try to charge you for a service call. I was able to fast talk Charter into waiving that for me, though. (And then call in to complain when it was on my next bill anyway.)
2. Since I'm new to this TiVo game, when I call them to sign up, is there anything I need to know? Or can I sign up online?
When your TiVo comes, you can to go to tivo.com, and register for the service. (Probably can do it over the phone, but I've never done it that way.) Your billing cycle will be based on the day you sign up so keep that in mind for billing purposes.
3. I have a wireless router in my office which is two rooms away from my family room where this TiVo is gonna go. Does it need to be closer?
It'll depend on your set-up. TiVo does offer an admittedly pricy wireless network adapter, which I still totally want.
4. Is this TiVo box I'm getting HD? ('Cuz we were gonna exchange our cable box at Cox for an HD one.)
Yes, it supports both SD and HD. There's a menu option for each. (HD is SNAZZY AS HELL. I used SD until I bought an HD TV because I'd heard SD was so slow, but I'm assuming that was fixed with an update. I love it.)
5. What do we do w/ that old cable box?
Are you renting it or purchasing it? If you're renting it, Cox should take it back.
Thanks again for your tech saavy. I appreciate it...
You're welcome. I'm passionate about entertainment stuff I love, and TiVo is right up there with The Daily Show and all things Joss Whedon.
Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?