WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pyrex Easy Grab 11-Piece Bake 'N Store

Speed to First Woot:
2m 0.664s
First Sucker:
jblatman
Last Wooter to Woot:
paulbarson
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 45% of Woot.com Woots
Top 25% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 7% of Woot.com Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 17% first woot
  • 11% second woot
  • 37% < 10 woots
  • 19% < 25 woots
  • 16% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 69% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 89% bought 1
  • 9% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
2%
1%
1%
1%
3%
5%
8%
11%
10%
9%
6%
6%
4%
3%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootalyzer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Pyrex Easy Grab 11-Piece Bake 'N Store
$19.99 + $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

ChicagoJack


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack

Buy it Made in the USA.

wootwowbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwowbro

Anyone know the sizing of the 3qt oblong dish?

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Cant say enough good things about Pyrex. Great quality and durable. I use them every day for my lunch and to keep leftovers. I hand wash them as soon as I am done with them. Very easy clean up.

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
wootwowbro wrote:Anyone know the sizing of the 3qt oblong dish?



3qt

that was fun while it lasted!

ChicagoJack


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack
wootwowbro wrote:Anyone know the sizing of the 3qt oblong dish?



9 x 13 in

22.5 x 33 cm

3 Qt = 2.8 L

strikerliker


quality posts: 7 Private Messages strikerliker

I bought these a few months back. They're great! One caution -- the lids should not be kept on in the microwave. And the lids are only safe on the top shelf of the dishwasher. But they seal superbly!

sysop073


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sysop073

What is it about this set that makes it cost the same as the 18-piece one?

casey00001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
wootwowbro wrote:Anyone know the sizing of the 3qt oblong dish?



Overall dimensions: 2.5'' H x 9.81'' W x 16.56'' D

source
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyrex-Easy-Grab-3-Qt-Oblong-Baking-Dish-with-Red-Plastic-Cover/15657944

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sysop073 wrote:What is it about this set that makes it cost the same as the 18-piece one?



Completely different set and style. It's an apples to oranges comparison.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nneelix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nneelix
sysop073 wrote:What is it about this set that makes it cost the same as the 18-piece one?



Size, these are much larger. 4 cups = 1qt.

xylemup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xylemup

Bought a similar set from woot not too long ago.

Just want to let you know, this is NOT borosilicate glass pyrex. If you didn't know, someone bought the pyrex logo and has used it to make soda lime glass 'pyrex'. There's a chance it'll shatter in the oven, just like mine did the very first time I used one of the baking dishes :/

Buyer beware.

dipdac


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dipdac
xylemup wrote:Bought a similar set from woot not too long ago.

Just want to let you know, this is NOT borosilicate glass pyrex. If you didn't know, someone bought the pyrex logo and has used it to make soda lime glass 'pyrex'. There's a chance it'll shatter in the oven, just like mine did the very first time I used one of the baking dishes :/

Buyer beware.




if by not too long ago you mean 60 years. every time I see pyrex somewhere I just know this article will be relevant. I always hope it isn't, but those hopes are always dashed.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

ceagee


quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

I love my pyrex sets I have purchased from woot !
Trying to get away from plastic for health and for the environment.

Happiness is a pyrex bowl filled with homemade soup in the freezer waiting for me. ( or is it a chocolate cake in the 9x13 pan ? with a nice lid to keep it fresh? )



twobluecats


quality posts: 0 Private Messages twobluecats

Lost my last set in the divorce. Happy to have the glass pyrex back at a great price. Very nice!

alansavoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alansavoy
dipdac wrote:if by not too long ago you mean 60 years. every time I see pyrex somewhere I just know this article will be relevant. I always hope it isn't, but those hopes are always dashed.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp



The 60 year old stuff is safer. These things shatter daily and reports constantly roll in. One of mine detonated in my hands, throwing shards 8' away.

haku


quality posts: 1 Private Messages haku
wootwowbro wrote:Anyone know the sizing of the 3qt oblong dish?




what is a oblong ?

can i cook and eat them ?

haku


quality posts: 1 Private Messages haku
xylemup wrote:Bought a similar set from woot not too long ago.

Just want to let you know, this is NOT borosilicate glass pyrex. If you didn't know, someone bought the pyrex logo and has used it to make soda lime glass 'pyrex'. There's a chance it'll shatter in the oven, just like mine did the very first time I used one of the baking dishes :/

Buyer beware.




this is true. i miss the old time Pyrex brand cookware. it lasted forever.

haku


quality posts: 1 Private Messages haku
dipdac wrote:if by not too long ago you mean 60 years. every time I see pyrex somewhere I just know this article will be relevant. I always hope it isn't, but those hopes are always dashed.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp



they do not mean 60 years ago. they mean less than 20 years ago.

try again ?

hroen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hroen

Do the bowls nest?

Harris Roen

dcobranchi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcobranchi
dipdac wrote:if by not too long ago you mean 60 years. every time I see pyrex somewhere I just know this article will be relevant. I always hope it isn't, but those hopes are always dashed.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp



Snopes would seem to support the OP's claims. Soda lime glass is, indeed, more susceptible to breakage than borosilicate glass. The soda lime glass has a much higher coefficient of thermal expansion than the more expensive borosilicate glass. When subjected to a rapid change in temperature, the soda lime experiences significant internal stresses and can sometimes violently shatter. The borosilicate glass, since it doesn't not change in size as much due to its smaller thermal expansion, does not suffer the same stresses. There is a way to tell the difference between the two glasses. Soda lime has a distinctly greenish cast. Borosilicate is much closer to white. Of course, that's not exactly a helpful test for online purchases.

rhmurphy


quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
xylemup wrote:Bought a similar set from woot not too long ago.

Just want to let you know, this is NOT borosilicate glass pyrex. If you didn't know, someone bought the pyrex logo and has used it to make soda lime glass 'pyrex'. There's a chance it'll shatter in the oven, just like mine did the very first time I used one of the baking dishes :/

Buyer beware.



Every time Woot! Sells Pyrex someone trots out this urban legend. True, Pyrex is no longer owned by Corning. But Pyrex changed over to Soda Lime glass well before the brand was sold.

See the [Snopes article](http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp) already mentioned.
This changeover to soda lime glass happened 60 years ago. (haku: Nope. 60 years ago. **You** need to try again. Read the article for the facts.)

Or, you can read (the company's response)[http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30]. But independent sites like Snopes and [Stats.org](http://stats.org/stories/2009/exploding_pyrex_oct14_09.html) provide a credible refutation of these urban myths.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

ANY glass formulation will break if sufficiently stressed.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

rhmurphy


quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
xylemup wrote:Bought a similar set from woot not too long ago.

Just want to let you know, this is NOT borosilicate glass pyrex. If you didn't know, someone bought the pyrex logo and has used it to make soda lime glass 'pyrex'. There's a chance it'll shatter in the oven, just like mine did the very first time I used one of the baking dishes :/

Buyer beware.



Every time Woot! Sells Pyrex someone trots out this urban legend. True, Pyrex is no longer owned by Corning. But Pyrex changed over to Soda Lime glass well before the brand was sold.

See the Snopes article http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp already mentioned.

This changeover to soda lime glass happened 60 years ago. (haku: Nope. 60 years ago. You need to try again. Read the article for the facts.)

Or, you can read the company's response: http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30. But independent sites like Snopes and Stats.org http://stats.org/stories/2009/exploding_pyrex_oct14_09.html provide a credible refutation of these urban myths.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

ANY glass formulation will break if sufficiently stressed.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

chillzatl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chillzatl
haku wrote:this is true. i miss the old time Pyrex brand cookware. it lasted forever.



The new stuff lasts forever too, if you use common sense.

chillzatl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chillzatl
dcobranchi wrote:Snopes would seem to support the OP's claims. Soda lime glass is, indeed, more susceptible to breakage than borosilicate glass. The soda lime glass has a much higher coefficient of thermal expansion than the more expensive borosilicate glass. When subjected to a rapid change in temperature, the soda lime experiences significant internal stresses and can sometimes violently shatter. The borosilicate glass, since it doesn't not change in size as much due to its smaller thermal expansion, does not suffer the same stresses. There is a way to tell the difference between the two glasses. Soda lime has a distinctly greenish cast. Borosilicate is much closer to white. Of course, that's not exactly a helpful test for online purchases.



people tend to take this to absurd levels. The formula for pyrex was changed over 20 years ago. Most people using pyrex these days are using the new formula. millions upon millions of products sold with only a handful of incidents.

Tempered soda-lime glass is more impact resistant than borosilicate, but not as temperature resistant. That means you should not take it from the oven and drop it in water, take one hot and dry from the oven and pour cold liquid into it, etc. For 99.999% of use, this should never be an issue. If you're cooking up meth, you may want to get lab grade glass. I have 20 year old new-pyrex oven dishes that I personally have been using for over 10 years in the oven and it's still here, but I treat it like glass and not like some magical unbreakable material.

Also, all glass cookwear that sold in the US now is tempered soda-lime, regardless of brand.

lichme


quality posts: 2658 Private Messages lichme

I also have quite a bit of pyrex glass storage containers. Never had a problem with them, other than one lid (out of very many) that had a split crack in it. Overall it's really good quality.

cappo


quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo
chillzatl wrote:people tend to take this to absurd levels. The formula for pyrex was changed over 20 years ago. Most people using pyrex these days are using the new formula. millions upon millions of products sold with only a handful of incidents.

Tempered soda-lime glass is more impact resistant than borosilicate, but not as temperature resistant. That means you should not take it from the oven and drop it in water, take one hot and dry from the oven and pour cold liquid into it, etc. For 99.999% of use, this should never be an issue. If you're cooking up meth, you may want to get lab grade glass. I have 20 year old new-pyrex oven dishes that I personally have been using for over 10 years in the oven and it's still here, but I treat it like glass and not like some magical unbreakable material.

Also, all glass cookwear that sold in the US now is tempered soda-lime, regardless of brand.



You forgot metal counters/stovetops. My mom did that once, luckily she made it to the other side of the kitchen before the thing exploded.

So much for dinner.

BTW, while the vast majority of ovenware is soda lime glass, a quick web search found a place around Pittsburgh that makes borosilicate cookware for private labels, along with lenses and other non-cooking related things.

Other than that... Europe still uses the good stuff.

I heard a saying once, it was something like: Europeans are more tolerant of high prices while Americans are more tolerant of poor quality.


roadshow69


quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadshow69

I just bought a set of Lock & Lock glass storage containers from Newegg a couple of weeks ago. It is made with the borosilicate glass. However, it was more expensive than this set.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hroen wrote:Do the bowls nest?



Yes, they do. I have this set.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kpatterson67


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpatterson67

I have a similar set from Woot. The glass pieces go great in the dishwasher but I recommend washing the lids by hand.

leduke


quality posts: 1 Private Messages leduke

I love love love this set. The bowls were somewhat redundant of another Pyrex bowl set I already owned, but the fridge lids for the 9" square and 9x13" baking dishes are worth ten times their weight in the aluminum foil I'm no longer using to cover my casseroles. Definitely recommend.

mrsly69


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69
cappo wrote:You forgot metal counters/stovetops. My mom did that once, luckily she made it to the other side of the kitchen before the thing exploded.

So much for dinner.

BTW, while the vast majority of ovenware is soda lime glass, a quick web search found a place around Pittsburgh that makes borosilicate cookware for private labels, along with lenses and other non-cooking related things.

Other than that... Europe still uses the good stuff.

I heard a saying once, it was something like: Europeans are more tolerant of high prices while Americans are more tolerant of poor quality.



How absurd! "I heard a saying once, it was something like: Europeans are more tolerant of high prices while Americans are more tolerant of poor quality."

Jaguar and Land Rover, need to buy 2 because one will be in the shop.

Renault - French just suck.

Italy -- other than food, they can't build anything right.

Germany -- OK, they have a stellar reputation. I will give you that one.

American's want quality, but your are right that far too many will take an inferior product over a well made one, because it is cheaper. But don't blame just American's, blame the rest of the world sending us their junk. If the US didn't take this crap, World War III would have happended already. Buy junk for WORLD PEACE! LOL

lethargicmass


quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
rhmurphy wrote:Every time Woot! Sells Pyrex someone trots out this urban legend. True, Pyrex is no longer owned by Corning. But Pyrex changed over to Soda Lime glass well before the brand was sold.

See the [Snopes article](http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp) already mentioned.
This changeover to soda lime glass happened 60 years ago. (haku: Nope. 60 years ago. **You** need to try again. Read the article for the facts.)




Not to beat a nit-picky horse, but the 60-year figure is not exactly correct. From the snopes article you implore haku to read: "Sarah Horvath, a Corning spokeswoman, says Corning made Pyrex out of both soda lime and borosilicate at several locations before selling the U.S. business to World Kitchen in 1998, but provided no more details. P. Bruce Adams, formerly an executive scientist at Corning, says that borosilicate was still being used to make Pyrex when he retired in 1987."

So both formulations were apparently being used in parallel for 40-plus years preceding the sale -- and nobody seems to know when World Kitchen may have ceased the manufacture of the borosilicate formulation.


I love bacon!

pwdrskir


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwdrskir
rhmurphy wrote:Every time Woot! Sells Pyrex someone trots out this urban legend. True, Pyrex is no longer owned by Corning. But Pyrex changed over to Soda Lime glass well before the brand was sold.

See the [Snopes article](http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp) already mentioned.
This changeover to soda lime glass happened 60 years ago. (haku: Nope. 60 years ago. **You** need to try again. Read the article for the facts.)

Or, you can read (the company's response)[http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=30]. But independent sites like Snopes and [Stats.org](http://stats.org/stories/2009/exploding_pyrex_oct14_09.html) provide a credible refutation of these urban myths.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

ANY glass formulation will break if sufficiently stressed.



Hey rhmurphy, Facts:

Bottom line: Borosilicate glass (original Pyrex) was made for cooking temperature changes. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat.

Soda-lime glass (current Pyrex) has a higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to breakage when dropped. It is not as heat resistant, leading to an increase in breakage from heat stress.

This from Popular Science:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-03/gray-matter-cant-take-heat
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."


Wikipedia reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex
“Pyrex glass cookware manufactured by World Kitchen is made of tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. World Kitchen justified this change by stating that soda-lime glass was cheaper to produce; is the most common form of glass used in bakeware in the US; and that it also had higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to breakage when dropped, which it believed to be the most common cause of breakage in glass bakeware. Unlike borosilicate, it is not as heat resistant, leading to an increase in breakage from heat stress.”5,12,13,14

Evans32796


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evans32796
pwdrskir wrote:Hey rhmurphy, Facts:

Bottom line: Borosilicate glass (original Pyrex) was made for cooking temperature changes. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat.

Soda-lime glass (current Pyrex) has a higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to breakage when dropped. It is not as heat resistant, leading to an increase in breakage from heat stress.

This from Popular Science:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-03/gray-matter-cant-take-heat
"Pyrex, which originally was always borosilicate glass, solved this problem by adding boron to the silica (quartz), the main ingredient in all glass. Boron changes the atomic structure of glass so it stays roughly the same size regardless of its temperature. Little thermal expansion means little stress. Thus borosilicate glass withstands heat not because it’s stronger, but because it doesn’t need to be stronger."

"When World Kitchen took over the Pyrex brand, it started making more products out of pre-stressed soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. With pre-stressed, or tempered, glass, the surface is under compression from forces inside the glass. It is stronger than borosilicate glass, but when it’s heated, it still expands as much as ordinary glass does. It doesn’t shatter immediately, because the expansion first acts only to release some of the built-in stress. But only up to a point."


Wikipedia reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex
“Pyrex glass cookware manufactured by World Kitchen is made of tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate. World Kitchen justified this change by stating that soda-lime glass was cheaper to produce; is the most common form of glass used in bakeware in the US; and that it also had higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to breakage when dropped, which it believed to be the most common cause of breakage in glass bakeware. Unlike borosilicate, it is not as heat resistant, leading to an increase in breakage from heat stress.”5,12,13,14



Seriously, I'm so sick and tired of this endless debate. Everytime Woot sells Pyrex people keep arguing about it. If you dislike the material Pyrex uses to make their containers, DON'T BUY IT! Buy the stuff from Europe or whatever.

JaimeDae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JaimeDae

Seize the Deal has a much larger set for obviously more money, any thoughts on if it's worth it? I love Pyrex and have bought at least 4 sets from Woot in the last few months.

http://ww2.seizethedeal.com/deals/pyrex-prep-store-bake-28-piece-set

socalkc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages socalkc

Just bought the round set recently and ruined the lid in the microwave the first time out. The lid says "microwave" safe, but it is not. It is completely warped and will no longer seal. total bummer.

Buyer Beware

efiore


quality posts: 1 Private Messages efiore

I am a big fan of glass for cooking, eating, drinking, etc. There is always a chance that glass under stress will break. A good tip, however, is that there is a far less chance of breaking an oven-safe glass container if you pre-heat the oven completely before you place the glassware into the oven.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
hroen wrote:Do the bowls nest?



Kind of, but if you stack same-size bowls they *will* chip around the rims.