2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Swann Security System
$229.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

lichme

quality posts: 2870 Private Messages lichme

4 Star / 37 Reviews from our favorite site

Edit: Fixed Link

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lichme wrote:Reviews from our favorite site

I think that has different cameras than ours. Ours are ADS-180.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3495 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty average reviews (2.7 out of 5.0) over at tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=835577

foolnamedjon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages foolnamedjon

I wonder how this compares to Nightowl.

ap210

quality posts: 48 Private Messages ap210

What stops thieves from stealing this once they break into your home? I still think the security systems that upload video to the cloud are the best bet.

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

Trishz69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trishz69

Does anyone know if u are able to add more camera's to this? All other systems say you can add 2 camera's per channel.

I need at least 6 cameras

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
ap210 wrote:What stops thieves from stealing this once they break into your home? I still think the security systems that upload video to the cloud are the best bet.

IMHO the best security camera system is the one that shoots tranquilizer darts at the intruders and then calls the police while uploading video footage of the break in to them. I would be able sleep comfortably in that house. Especially with this tranquilizer dart in my neck.

kmf600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmf600
ap210 wrote:What stops thieves from stealing this once they break into your home? I still think the security systems that upload video to the cloud are the best bet.

The bad guys just turn these things away from where they are "working" or they just knock them off the wall with a bat. If you do get pictures of the bad guys, the police will look at them but they won't use the video, they won't even look for the criminals. They are just there to fill out the report so you can start your insurance claim.

Qiset

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset

I've had this system for more than a year now. The camera's don't work as well in the dark as I had thought they would. The worse part about this unit is the dvr locks up periodically. This forces a format of the harddrive. The h.264 format of the saved video is a pain too.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
kmf600 wrote:The bad guys just turn these things away from where they are "working" or they just knock them off the wall with a bat. If you do get pictures of the bad guys, the police will look at them but they won't use the video, they won't even look for the criminals. They are just there to fill out the report so you can start your insurance claim.

But having something that can be used to identify a burglar is better than not. Certainly being able to send the news a video of a burglar or spread through social media has a greater chance of getting a burglar recognized than nothing. I'm not saying it will necessarily stop people or the police will use it to find the person, but it can let you know when something is/has happened and help attach one more charge to a suspect.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

hentzau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hentzau

Does anyone know if you can hook a wireless camera up to this system? My church is looking to add in a camera system, but running that kind of cable through several brick walls would be a pain.

lvennard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lvennard
Trishz69 wrote:Does anyone know if u are able to add more camera's to this? All other systems say you can add 2 camera's per channel.

Ive never heard of the '2 cameras per channel' thing. I dont believe thats true. Feel free to correct me. I have the zmodo 4 channel one, (looks the same from the back) and with 4 inputs, i can only have 4 cameras.

atisthammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atisthammer

After an almost-break-in of my house, I bought a similar set-up and have nothing but positive comments! Setting it up for remote viewing on i-phone and i-pad was NOT easy to set up, but thanks to YouTube videos, I finally got that working. I LOVE being able to glance in on the house. WELL WORTH THE COST!

tmvijai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmvijai

I am buying a new home and already prewiring with Cat5. I been looking at few camera systems and trying to find a good fit to use the prewiring. I know I have to do some tweaking since the connections might be straight forward. Does this system allows to hook up with Cat5? Any thoughts on hooking up Cat5 with camera's?

inthelead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages inthelead
Trishz69 wrote:Does anyone know if u are able to add more camera's to this? All other systems say you can add 2 camera's per channel.

In the specs it says 4 input and 2 output. If you look at the picture of the back, it shows 6 connectors. So, I am pretty certain it only supports 4 cameras. Most units support either 4, 8 or 16.

I have a Swann system for our small business. I just got it a few months ago to replace a Lorex that went out. The Swann is much better in most areas. I really like their internet viewing app. I can easily watch video from my phone or tablet. Setup of the internet viewing is a bit tricky though. This system is a little on the low end, especially the cameras' resolution. But, in our system, each camera was over $100, so you get what you pay for. This is probably ok for home use or somewhere with good lighting and where you don't need to see a long distance. You could always replace the cameras with better ones if they didn't work well for your environment.

carazzie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carazzie
kmf600 wrote:The bad guys just turn these things away from where they are "working" or they just knock them off the wall with a bat. If you do get pictures of the bad guys, the police will look at them but they won't use the video, they won't even look for the criminals. They are just there to fill out the report so you can start your insurance claim.

Your comment about the police is not true for all cities. I know several cities that actually have programs where you can register your security system and they utilize this "network" of cameras to not only help if your house is burglarized, but if something else happens in the neighborhood. My house was broken into and the first thing the police asked me is if I had any security cameras. They utilized nearby cameras and the crooks were arrested the NEXT DAY! I bought the ZMODO set with the 2 dome cameras and I am very pleased with the whole package. 65ft of cable was perfect the perfect length and setup was a breeze. I have not gotten it connected to my network yet, as mentioned in other posts, it isn't exactly an easy process if you don't know what you're doing...which I also count on YouTube videos to help me through the installation of the hard drive and formatting.

samray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samray

What is the operating system? The features say "intuitive operating system" but I do not see what that is. I assume it is not Windows.

modemide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages modemide

I think it's only 4 inputs.

From the Specs section:
4 Composite BNC Inputs
2 Composite BNC Outputs

littledoomy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littledoomy
tmvijai wrote:I am buying a new home and already prewiring with Cat5. I been looking at few camera systems and trying to find a good fit to use the prewiring. I know I have to do some tweaking since the connections might be straight forward. Does this system allows to hook up with Cat5? Any thoughts on hooking up Cat5 with camera's?

You can not hook these up with Cat5, you need an IP camera for that. Personally I use Panasonic IP cameras, but there are quite a few nice ones out there.

fazeshift

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fazeshift

glenthompson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenthompson

Seems that these systems have their own security issues. https://community.rapid7.com/community/metasploit/blog/2013/01/28/ray-sharp-cctv-dvr-password-retrieval-remote-root
Allows an attacker to control the dvr and monitor you and provides access to your internal network.

tmvijai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmvijai
littledoomy wrote:You can not hook these up with Cat5, you need an IP camera for that. Personally I use Panasonic IP cameras, but there are quite a few nice ones out there.

I was told you can you Balrun with these camera's to connect to cat5

sburmei2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sburmei2

First thing that popped into my head when I saw this.

Billy Madison "Stop looking at me swan"

MrWizard1923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrWizard1923
Qiset wrote:I've had this system for more than a year now. The camera's don't work as well in the dark as I had thought they would.

Absolutely none of these "night vision" cameras in the consumer range can "see" more than 15-20 feet. Anything claimed more than that is just hype. We've had experience with sets ranging from $400 - $1000 and none have performed as advertised. A motion sensor light or constant flood has been essential to get adequate nighttime images.

Agent019

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Agent019

Yupper - I even had the address of the villain who stole paycheck from me and they still just went over said "Hey you do it?" "No" "Okay carry on."

I thought maybe it is just the cops in my town, but the more I hear about this the more I see cops could care less about home burglary. If I didn't know how crappy people feel afterward I would say home invasion is the career to be in since it has very little chance of ever being solved. Hell the police wont even call me back.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just checked. Four cameras max.

4 channels = 4 cameras

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Agent019

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Agent019
ThunderThighs wrote:Just checked. Four cameras max.

4 channels = 4 cameras

The 8 channel system is available at Costco for 299.99. I know cause it is the one I bought the day before my house got burgled... I now have a security system, cameras, and a gun. Pretty sure I am good to go if I am home or away.

MrWizard1923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrWizard1923
hentzau wrote:Does anyone know if you can hook a wireless camera up to this system? My church is looking to add in a camera system, but running that kind of cable through several brick walls would be a pain.

Nope, this is strictly wired RCA jacks connections. But if you thought running wires was a pain, try getting wireless to go any distance through brick and then frame. Now there's a challenge. Plus all cameras need a power source so there is also that issue outside a brick wall.

jimbolodisc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimbolodisc

I bought one of these Swann systems, but the video quality makes it hard to tell faces.

They all just looka like-a man.

mandrews000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mandrews000
tmvijai wrote:I am buying a new home and already prewiring with Cat5. I been looking at few camera systems and trying to find a good fit to use the prewiring. I know I have to do some tweaking since the connections might be straight forward. Does this system allows to hook up with Cat5? Any thoughts on hooking up Cat5 with camera's?

These systems use RG59, typically RG59-Siamese to provide power also. the Terminations are made through BNC connectors. If you are using Cat5 you will need a video Balun on each end of the cable. The video Balun enables you to transmit the video signal over UTP wiring instead of Coax. This is a loss less method and also extends cable lengths to well above 1000ft depending on the Type of Baluns used.

M Andrews

mandrews000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mandrews000
MrWizard1923 wrote:Absolutely none of these "night vision" cameras in the consumer range can "see" more than 15-20 feet. Anything claimed more than that is just hype. We've had experience with sets ranging from $400 - $1000 and none have performed as advertised. A motion sensor light or constant flood has been essential to get adequate nighttime images.

Auxiliary IR Emitters or Illumination is a good, power friendly way to illuminate the area. By adding these you will not need to add flood lights, which actually make it easier on the criminal...

M Andrews

16tons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 16tons

If it says its a 4 camera/channel system, then that is what it takes...no more. I have had a Swann 8 channel system for a couple of years. It works okay, but can be finnicky. Forget emailing Swann for product support. They only answer, maybe 2 weeks later. The only way is to phone them in Australia. The system works good, but there is no Hi-res video. Night illumination is poor, at best.

RoamingDragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RoamingDragon

You can use these cameras with the Cat-5 if you install some Video Balun to convert the signal for the twisted pair. I'm using some here at my home and have used them many other sites. The Balun are now much less expensive ~$ 13 per pair.

worldofseuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages worldofseuss

This one only hosts 4 cameras. There is a version to host 8 cameras though.

derek0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derek0001
TheTexasTwister wrote:IMHO the best security camera system is the one that shoots tranquilizer darts at the intruders and then calls the police while uploading video footage of the break in to them. I would be able sleep comfortably in that house. Especially with this tranquilizer dart in my neck.

Rough on the dog though!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

TheTexasTwister wrote:IMHO the best security camera system is the one that shoots tranquilizer darts at the intruders and then calls the police while uploading video footage of the break in to them. I would be able sleep comfortably in that house. Especially with this tranquilizer dart in my neck.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

sepeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sepeck
RoamingDragon wrote:You can use these cameras with the Cat-5 if you install some Video Balun to convert the signal for the twisted pair. I'm using some here at my home and have used them many other sites. The Balun are now much less expensive ~$ 13 per pair.

I got mine at monoprice for $9 a pair for use with the otherbrandwhosenameIcannotrememberrightnow.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=110&cp_id=11011&cs_id=1101101&p_id=6878&seq=1&format=2

scrapironchef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scrapironchef

Look for "video baluns " on Ebay, they convert the video signal to something that will run over a single twisted pair. You can also get matching power and audio adapters.

If you're looking to just buy a pre built solution check out On-Q, they make a cat-5 video system.

I've installed both and would do the balun route next time.

I'd also want cameras that are at least 600 TVL at a minimum, not the 400s that are in this package. The 6mm lens that are on these cameras are also a little long and may not have an adequate field of view.