quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Item: Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest +%26 Cabinet
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Sausey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sausey

Immediately thought of Home Alone 2, when the Craftsman Tool Chest came down the stairs and crushed Harry.

seecakrueger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seecakrueger

Does it make me a tomboy if I ask for this for Christmas?

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

Note that these are not the smoother/stronger/more durable ball-bearing drawer slides. I bought a set of the Quiet Glide tool chests from Craftsman and immediately recognized the slides as the cheap ones you get with Ikea/Walmart furniture. Needless to say, I quickly returned them for the ball bearing versions.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

It looks like a great toolbox, but I don't think craftsman is the great name it used to be. But for the price, it might be a great entry level toolbox, especially if your tools are scattered in a bunch of different small toolboxes, or worse yet cardboard boxes.

peel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peel
zxinfinity wrote:Note that these are not the smoother/stronger/more durable ball-bearing drawer slides. I bought a set of the Quiet Glide tool chests from Craftsman and immediately recognized the slides as the cheap ones you get with Ikea/Walmart furniture. Needless to say, I quickly returned them for the ball bearing versions.

Came here to say the same thing. There is a similar sized set at harbor freight for a little more that has full ball bearing slides and is built like a tank. Craftsman is not the quality it used to be, and even if it were you should never buy a tool chest without ball bearing slides. It's all about ball bearings these days.

acanarelli

quality posts: 218 Private Messages acanarelli

The furniture in my bedroom cost many times more than this tool chest and the drawers are much larger and hold a lot more stuff. None of the drawers have ball bearing slides and my wife and I have lived happily with them for years and never a problem. So what's the big deal? Just squirt some oil in those cheap drawer slides and you're good to go.

ErinJade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ErinJade
Sausey wrote:Immediately thought of Home Alone 2, when the Craftsman Tool Chest came down the stairs and crushed Harry.

That was my first thought as well (the scene, for anyone who may not remember). It's what I'll always think of when I see these things.

marciagm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marciagm

I ordered 3 of these the last time they were offered, in white, and every piece arrived damaged because they are not packed properly. All were returned.

ekfritz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekfritz
acanarelli wrote:The furniture in my bedroom cost many times more than this tool chest and the drawers are much larger and hold a lot more stuff. None of the drawers have ball bearing slides and my wife and I have lived happily with them for years and never a problem. So what's the big deal? Just squirt some oil in those cheap drawer slides and you're good to go.

Fill one of your expensive dresser drawers with 50 pounds worth of tools and then tell us all how well it slides. Seriously, you're comparing a drawer meant to hold sweaters and socks to a tool chest drawer? All drawers are equal, some are just more equal than others, indeed.

gchung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gchung
peel wrote:Came here to say the same thing. There is a similar sized set at harbor freight for a little more that has full ball bearing slides and is built like a tank. Craftsman is not the quality it used to be, and even if it were you should never buy a tool chest without ball bearing slides. It's all about ball bearings these days.

Ha! Nice Fletch reference!

djnelson123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djnelson123
peel wrote:Came here to say the same thing. There is a similar sized set at harbor freight for a little more that has full ball bearing slides and is built like a tank. Craftsman is not the quality it used to be, and even if it were you should never buy a tool chest without ball bearing slides. It's all about ball bearings these days.

Really helpful; thanks.

heinricp

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp
ekfritz wrote:Fill one of your expensive dresser drawers with 50 pounds worth of tools and then tell us all how well it slides. Seriously, you're comparing a drawer meant to hold sweaters and socks to a tool chest drawer? All drawers are equal, some are just more equal than others, indeed.

Can't agree more . . . when a drawer holds a lot of weight, the amount of force it takes to overcome friction to open/close the drawer goes up . . . that's when you're thankful that you have low friction ball bearings.

I suppose that if all your tools are made of plastic or carbon fiber this might not matter . . .

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I was going to say that I bought this set 20 years ago and it's great. Then I read the other comments. The one I have is great and the drawers will hold as much as I can fit in them. They definitely have ball bearing slides. I think this would be OK if you have something else to keep heavy tools in. But, buying a tool chest that isn't able to hold tools? I wouldn't, even if it was really cheap.

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc

This toolbox would be fine for not-too-heavy tools or as a hobby box, but I wouldn't want to load down the drawers in this toolbox with a bunch of heavy wrenches and sockets.

If you have a bunch of heavy tools and want a Craftsman I'd wait... we are in the holiday season and I'm sure a ball-bearing drawer model of similar capacity will go on sale soon somewhere for a few dollars more.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
ekfritz wrote:Fill one of your expensive dresser drawers with 50 pounds worth of tools and then tell us all how well it slides. Seriously, you're comparing a drawer meant to hold sweaters and socks to a tool chest drawer? All drawers are equal, some are just more equal than others, indeed.

QFT

CharlieShaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CharlieShaw

I have acquired over 30 of these or very similar combos from Craftsman over the last 40 years in my fabrication shop. Yes, the plain bearing slides are not as smooth as the ball bearing slides, but they do the job. The cheaper ball bearing slides that come on less expensive sets have just recently come into this price range and are nothing like the real slides that come on a Snap-On or other high end box. This is not a great deal, but hey are serviceable tool boxes. I was going to order a set for my son until I read about the poor packaging. I have run into this same problem with other boxes and it is a real PITA to have to deal with.

gvcring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gvcring

Many years ago my wife and I were fishing Cranberry Lake when she got a hook caught in her arm. Went to the local hospital to get it removed. Went into the surgical area with the doctor and here are all these Craftmans tool chest lined up along the wall! He went over got a few instruments, removed the hook and off we went.

stuffmonger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stuffmonger

When I was looking at toolboxes for my home a couple years ago, I noticed the craftsman toolboxes all felt flimsy to me (even the "professional" models). As someone who has used multiple brands of higher end boxes at work, I wanted a nice box for home. Eventually, I found the thorsen boxes at osh, and have been very pleased with it. It's not much more than this box on woot, but is a thicker gauge metal and comes with ball bearing sliders... Some of the bolts are a bit chintzy, but those are easy and cheap to replace.

soilwarden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soilwarden

I was going to get one until I saw the disclaimer that it doesn't include the tools. Dang!

winddrifter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winddrifter
CharlieShaw wrote:I have acquired over 30 of these or very similar combos from Craftsman over the last 40 years in my fabrication shop. Yes, the plain bearing slides are not as smooth as the ball bearing slides, but they do the job. The cheaper ball bearing slides that come on less expensive sets have just recently come into this price range and are nothing like the real slides that come on a Snap-On or other high end box. This is not a great deal, but hey are serviceable tool boxes. I was going to order a set for my son until I read about the poor packaging. I have run into this same problem with other boxes and it is a real PITA to have to deal with.

I agree on the slides. I've had a nearly identical cabinet with these (non ball-bearing) slides for at least 25 years, and it's loaded with all the heavy tools I can pack in it. It's no big deal. If you aren't strong enough to operate the drawer, then you won't be able to pick up the heavier tools stored in it either, so it really won't matter. And I'm sure these slides will operate for another 25 years - not so sure what will happen when the cheap ball bearings start falling out of others.

micamoca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca

Once again the military communities with FPO / APO are left out due to cost!

Where is the Lithium battery in this?

woot?

bassjam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bassjam

This box is great for your average home DIYer. I've got the next step up from this with the ball bearings, and it's not THAT much nicer. The grip latch ball bearing tool boxes are nice and I've got one of those as well, but I'm in my tool boxes several times a week. My only concern with these would be shipping them and hoping they arrive in good shape. The packaging isn't made to stand up to UPS/FedEx, it's made to go from the manufacturer to a Sears store.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

Just a tip for this style, and it applies across brands; if you set the top box pushed all the way back to the back edge of the lower box (as pictured) you will have a little shelf in the front, which tempts you and others to set things on. You end up always having to find another spot for something set down temporarily so you can open the lower drawers.

If you set the top with the front edge flush with the front of the bottom, you get a small shelf (with a lip) behind the top box that holds cans of spray lube, etc without ever getting in the way. Actually adds some decent unprotected storage.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
peel wrote:Craftsman is not the quality it used to be

Not by a long shot. Just because Sears and KMart are being drilled into the ground, doesn't mean they should take the Craftsman quality with it.....but they have. Last year I officially switched my position on them and recommend Lowes/Home Depot brand tools over Craftsman.

ElGuappo wrote:Just a tip for this style, and it applies across brands; if you set the top box pushed all the way back to the back edge of the lower box (as pictured) you will have a little shelf in the front, which tempts you and others to set things on. You end up always having to find another spot for something set down temporarily so you can open the lower drawers.

If you set the top with the front edge flush with the front of the bottom, you get a small shelf (with a lip) behind the top box that holds cans of spray lube, etc without ever getting in the way. Actually adds some decent unprotected storage.

Solid advice that nobody ever thinks about but is absolutely true!

taterjoel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taterjoel

You may as well go buy a cheaper cabinet... all Craftsman products are Chinese now so you're only paying for the badge.

jackgermain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackgermain
seecakrueger wrote:Does it make me a tomboy if I ask for this for Christmas?

NO, just more desirable !!

coloradosteve

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coloradosteve

I was going to do the same except mine is 15 years old. I have the top chest version at the time. Looks identical although my drawers are ball bearing slides.

For the bottom set, after much searching, I went to Home Depot and bought a Husky brand.

If I was shopping for both a lower and upper tool chest, the one Harbor Freight Sells would be in my garage.

http://tinyurl.com/lycmm3j

lorenzodemedici wrote:I was going to say that I bought this set 20 years ago and it's great. Then I read the other comments. The one I have is great and the drawers will hold as much as I can fit in them. They definitely have ball bearing slides. I think this would be OK if you have something else to keep heavy tools in. But, buying a tool chest that isn't able to hold tools? I wouldn't, even if it was really cheap.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

A "Rolling Tool Chest" is cool and all, but it will never be as cool as the Roll Box!

drigout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drigout

I want one but I do not know if my M18 Milwaukee Set will fit in there. I might need to take the blade off the Sawzall and I am not sure the circular saw would fit. Arg why can I not find measurements for those tools!!!

jenvett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenvett

I bought mind for my jewelry, belts and accessories... will look great in my closet - even if the drawers do not have balls :-)

Fuersty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fuersty

I've had basically the exact same Chest/box for 25 years. I used it when I went to school for diesel mechanics and still use it today. I've had no issues with the slides or filling the drawers with tool. Keep in mind, most tools going into the cabinet are not that heavy and that your real large tools won't be in there anyways.

philb@philb.us

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philb@philb.us

I have the quiet glide drawers in exactly the set shown. I've had it for about 10 years now. While it's not as easy as a ball bearing drawer it's in no way unusable. When I first got it, I put teflon/oil onto the slides and they glide out and in very nicely. Certainly nothing to complain about. Haven't lubricated them in 10 years and they still glide very nicely.

These are just fine for the average home garage.

acanarelli

quality posts: 218 Private Messages acanarelli
acanarelli wrote:The furniture in my bedroom cost many times more than this tool chest and the drawers are much larger and hold a lot more stuff. None of the drawers have ball bearing slides and my wife and I have lived happily with them for years and never a problem. So what's the big deal? Just squirt some oil in those cheap drawer slides and you're good to go.

In connection with the post I wrote above, I want to emphasize that I offer NO ARGUMENT that drawers sans roller bearings are better. Of course the roller bearings ARE better. My question is ARE THEY NECESSARY?

At least 30 years ago (probably more)I bought a unit that looks very much like the unit being sold here. The label reads, "ALL AMERICAN by WATERLOO". There are 10 drawers on this unit and there isn't a ball bearing on one of them ( I couldn't afford ball bearings in those days). Well, I stuffed most of the tools I owned into those drawers and some of those tools were heavy!

Today I still own and use that rolling drawer cabinet and NEVER had a problem. It looks very much like the day I bought it. As a precaution, I squirted some "Lock Ease" into the drawer slides and they performed very well for me. I have since purchased 8 more rolling cabinets (most without ball bearing slides)and I've had no problems.

So what I'm saying is this...

If you have plenty of money and want ball bearing slides, get them. On the other hand, if you don't have a fat wallet, don't let the lack of bearing slides keep you from making a purchase, as you don't really need them.

Xchoppers

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Xchoppers
marciagm wrote:I ordered 3 of these the last time they were offered, in white, and every piece arrived damaged because they are not packed properly. All were returned.

Oh please NO! This is a holiday gift for the home hobbyist - no time for returns/exchanges

Please Woot.....have the shippers mark "handle with TLC" or something!

DiesIrae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DiesIrae
zxinfinity wrote:Note that these are not the smoother/stronger/more durable ball-bearing drawer slides. I bought a set of the Quiet Glide tool chests from Craftsman and immediately recognized the slides as the cheap ones you get with Ikea/Walmart furniture. Needless to say, I quickly returned them for the ball bearing versions.

These slides will probably last your lifetime - they just don't feel as nice opening and closing the drawers. But it is just a tool chest.

wootmeister2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootmeister2

UPS delivered half of my order on 21 Feb. I got the chest but not the rolling cabinet. The chest is in great shape. I found out that FedEx has the other half and will deliver it on the 25th. Sometimes being second best just isn't good enough.

sharnhare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharnhare
marciagm wrote:I ordered 3 of these the last time they were offered, in white, and every piece arrived damaged because they are not packed properly. All were returned.

Uh oh, just bought my husband his first "tool chest" and it arrived today damaged!!!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sharnhare wrote:Uh oh, just bought my husband his first "tool chest" and it arrived today damaged!!!

I'm very sorry to hear that you received your order in the condition you described.

I recommend that you email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll more than happy to help resolve the issue.