zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $64.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Feb 21 to Monday, Feb 24) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/26/2014 - $64.99 - 114 comment(s)
1/16/2014 - $64.99 - 53 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $64.99 (Woot-off) - 55 comment(s)

1/19/2014 - $64.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Check out the Product Page
Great Reviews from bestbuy.com
Cnet Video Review

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

rileyper

quality posts: 68 Private Messages rileyper

I love my Roku 3

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

I've had this model for about six months. It's definitely gotten A LOT of use. What really sold this model for me was the dual band Wi-Fi option.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

murphdogrrr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murphdogrrr

HOW MUCH ARE THE MONTHLY SERVICES?

beanstown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beanstown

good deal its the best one out and sells for 100$ it is hdtv only though

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
murphdogrrr wrote:HOW MUCH ARE THE MONTHLY SERVICES?

No Roku fees, but some of the streaming channels charge a fee.
ie Netflix . You subscribe to that separately from this product. This just makes it easier to use the streaming part of Netflix.

gwarnock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwarnock
murphdogrrr wrote:HOW MUCH ARE THE MONTHLY SERVICES?

Roku monthly cost is $0.0, you already must have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Blaze, etc. login to those services and bam!.. Smart Tv "eat your heart out". With the micro sd, and usb port, you can watch just about whatever you want.

For free you can get Crackle, Pandora, iHeart Radio, and a ton of others.

This one has a Wii style remote for use with games that you can purchase.

This is my 5th Roku, and the other 4 are still in use. Great little devices.

Also there are Roku Apps for iPad/iPhone, Windows8, and Android that give the ability to stream to the roku and use the devices keyboard.

I highly recommend this!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3908 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these great reviews over at engadget.com and theverge.com

kahawken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahawken

Love my Roku (got on Woot) - one of the original - get little device. I've never paid for anything - just stream free stuff.

coryut08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coryut08

Does anyone have more information regarding the 1080p support?

-What apps support 1080p movies?
-About how much data is downloaded to watch a 1080p movie (I just moved to U-Verse and they only allow 250GB/mo downstream data)?
-Does it play smoothly or require repeated buffering (I have 24Mbps downstream)?

Tufflaw

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Tufflaw

Goddamnit and I just bought that stupid Angry Birds Roku, wish I'd waited.

centralperk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centralperk

Does it play AVI files?

daemonfly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daemonfly

My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

For example, in my experience: Samsung refurbs - never again, ugh, 0/3 there.

Tufflaw

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Tufflaw
centralperk wrote:Does it play AVI files?

It does via Plex

gwarnock

coryut08 wrote:Does anyone have more information regarding the 1080p support?

-About how much data is downloaded to watch a 1080p movie (I just moved to U-Verse and they only allow 250GB/mo downstream data)?
-Does it play smoothly or require repeated buffering (I have 24Mbps downstream)?

Your downstream will work great, I used to have 6mbps down and it rarely paused once I was going. I have been very pleased while streaming HD movies.

gwarnock

daemonfly wrote:My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

I purchased 2 Roku2 XD's for Christmas, and they have worked flawless.

gwarnock

If you have a video that doesn't play you can use "Format Factory" to rip it to a format that will.

zener

quality posts: 22 Private Messages zener

Will it stream all my personal videos on my desktop computer files including avi, mkv, mov,mp4, etc?

mainabe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainabe
zener wrote:Will it stream all my personal videos on my desktop computer files including avi, mkv, mov,mp4, etc?

Via Plex it will

gwarnock

zener wrote:Will it stream all my personal videos on my desktop computer files including avi, mkv, mov,mp4, etc?

There are apps you can purchase that require a download for your PC as well that allow this, I toss it to a Removable HD, and play from that.

I use "Format Factory" to convert any video that won't play.

dagta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dagta

I bought this the last time Woot had it for sale, about a month ago. Dead on arrival.

Contacted Woot, who took 10 days to respond. Their response instructed me to contact Roku. I haven't contacted Roku, yet.

nyisless13

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nyisless13
daemonfly wrote:My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

I got a refurb Roku 3 from Newegg when they had em for $70 last month, so far it's one of the best sub-$100 purchases I've ever made. Amazing media-consumption machine for the price.

nyisless13

Speaking of Plex, the official Plex app for Roku requires payment, but for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, there's an app known as RARflix which is free and seems to be a slightly modified Plex app. Go to the RARflix page for more info:

http://www.rarflix.com/

rldreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams
coryut08 wrote:Does anyone have more information regarding the 1080p support?

Depending on.the service you can plan on.3-5 mbs so.a.2hr movie will be 500m to 1gb. So.unle you are streaming 8+hrs a day every day you shouldn't have any problems going over your 250gb limit

xygar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xygar
nyisless13 wrote:Speaking of Plex, the official Plex app for Roku requires payment, but for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, there's an app known as RARflix which is free and seems to be a slightly modified Plex app. Go to the RARflix page for more info:

http://www.rarflix.com/

You may be thinking of the plex pass subscription, which unlocks additional functionality on some plex apps. The Plex app for roku is free and does not require a subscription.

rldreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams

Sorry about all the typos, second day with new phone ands it's still in learning how I.type.phase.
My question is "What netf app does the 3 have ?" We grabbed a refurb 2 back b4 Christmas and love it ,but the antiquated Netflix app without profiles is a royal PIA.

outz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outz
xygar wrote:You may be thinking of the plex pass subscription, which unlocks additional functionality on some plex apps. The Plex app for roku is free and does not require a subscription.

pretty sure it's no longer free as of earlier this week. $5 for the roku plex app, or you can get a plex pass sub

nyisless13

xygar wrote:You may be thinking of the plex pass subscription, which unlocks additional functionality on some plex apps. The Plex app for roku is free and does not require a subscription.

As of December, it appears this is no longer true. Existing users were grandfathered in, but new users must either get Plexpass or make a one-time purchase to keep the Plex app.

kcf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcf

If this works as well as the factory reconditioned Angry Birds Roku I just received from Woot, you might want to include an RMA request with your order to save time.

And remember: you pay shipping for returns.

[MOD: You do not pay for returns for items received damaged or DOA.]

variability

quality posts: 0 Private Messages variability
nyisless13 wrote:As of December, it appears this is no longer true. Existing users were grandfathered in, but new users must either get Plexpass or make a one-time purchase to keep the Plex app.

Does Plex from Android matter? Or is it a separate purchase that is required?

woothewitt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woothewitt

Does it have a WatchESPN app?

Kravvitz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kravvitz
coryut08 wrote:-What apps support 1080p movies?

As far as I'm aware all of the major subscription ones do, but you've got to remember that for many of them at least some of their content is lower resolution.

I have a Roku 2 XS, the second best model to date, connected to my 720p TV.

coryut08 wrote:-About how much data is downloaded to watch a 1080p movie (I just moved to U-Verse and they only allow 250GB/mo downstream data)?

Perhaps these will help:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-streaming-video
http://superuser.com/questions/413982/how-much-bandwith-is-required-to-stream-1080p

This had been answered, but here's the list of supported formats:
http://support.roku.com/entries/423946-What-media-file-types-does-the-Roku-USB-Media-Player-channel-support-

rldreams wrote:My question is "What netf app does the 3 have ?" We grabbed a refurb 2 back b4 Christmas and love it ,but the antiquated Netflix app without profiles is a royal PIA.

Yeah, I wish Netflix on my Roku 2 XS supported the relatively new profiles feature. Though, IMO, it would be even better to have separate logins for sub-accounts instead of one account with multiple profiles.

variability wrote:Does Plex from Android matter? Or is it a separate purchase that is required?

No. Unless you have PlexPass, the app for each different platform (e.g. Roku, iOS, Android) must be purchased separately.

However, as was mentioned above, you can use the RARflix app instead.

woothewitt wrote:Does it have a WatchESPN app?

Yes. You'll need a Cable/Satelite provider account to use it though.
https://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/34376/watchespn

You can see the list of apps/channels here:
https://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse

pquijal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pquijal

The best thing about going from a Roku 2 XD to the Roku 3 is that is that it will open multiple connections for Netflix. This is important if you use a Peplink Balance 20 router to load balance two 3 Mbps DSL connections ('cause that's what I got out here in West Virginia). The ol' XD would only use one connection whereas the Roku 3 will max out both DSL down-streams, and that's important if you want HD video that doesn't suddenly dip in quality because lack of bandwidth.

Also, if you previously had a Roku without an instant replay button, then you better getchu this one.

kurtois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtois

Is anyone using their Roku with a SimpleTV? How is it working out?

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor
kurtois wrote:Is anyone using their Roku with a SimpleTV? How is it working out?

It works fine. The Roku interface is typical Roku scroll-across-a-line-of-channels fare, but functionality is good. You can select among multiple Simple DVRs, watch, record, delete shows. I didn't think the picture was awesome on my 60" 1080p plasma, but it looks fine on my lesser TVs.

tomrdcinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomrdcinc

I bought a referb and had no problem with it. Pretty new to streaming stuff as I was the last to give up analog TV and rabbit ears. Simple setup and use. I had Amazon Prime for shipping purposes and didnt even know about streaming.

belder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages belder

The refurb ROKU from Woot! I bought works perfectly. Yes, I wish I would have waited but I can't justify buying another one.

I gave up DirecTv more than a year ago and I'm not ever going back. A Roku and Netflix/Hulu Plus subscription is all I need. I'm saving approx $800 a year.

prepperj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prepperj

got one a month or so back when it was on here last time and I couldn't be more pleased. This will be replacing my cable. Prime Netflix and hulu combined have far more content than dish or directtv and for all of 24 a month.