quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

how much for the arm?

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

HP 17.3" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Laptop
Price: $679.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 26 to Monday, Mar 03) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/22/2014 - $699.99 - 25 comment(s)
10/26/2013 - $699.99 - 24 comment(s)
10/1/2013 - $699.99 - 55 comment(s)

1/24/2014 - $699.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
ronfronberg wrote:how much for the arm?

Cousin It is not for sale.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cowboyesfan wrote:Cousin It is not for sale.

Wouldn't it be "Thing"?

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product specs

and

Let's read more about usb 3.0 or watch a video to learn more

and

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
ThunderThighs wrote:Wouldn't it be "Thing"?

You are correct!

ThunderThighs

Staff

cowboyesfan wrote:You are correct!

YAY!

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial

Thing giving Gomez a scalp massage:

Cousin It:

LaKASkill

quality posts: 16 Private Messages LaKASkill

Awww, I was hoping for some more protein, I bought new boxing gloves and everything.....

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

The 4700MQ processor is quite powerful and it may be possible to put in an Extreme CPU such as the 4940MX chip when it gets cheap years from now for a cheap upgrade for this laptop. But maybe not. The BIOS has to allow it and heatsink/fan have to be able to keep it cool enough.

codejoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codejoy

I am curious if anyone could tell me if this would be a good upgrade to my current "gaming" laptop:

Samsung
4gb
64 bit win 7
Intel i5 M 430@2.27 ghz
nvidia GT330m
500GB hd

Advise?

mayday7777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayday7777
codejoy wrote:I am curious if anyone could tell me if this would be a good upgrade to my current "gaming" laptop:

Samsung
4gb
64 bit win 7
Intel i5 M 430@2.27 ghz
nvidia GT330m
500GB hd

Advise?

This laptop does not have a 'gaming rig' quality video card, so I guess it would depend on which games you want to play.

pasturepony9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pasturepony9

It doesn't look like you can attach an additional monitor? Can anyone confirm this is not dual screen capable?

Thanks!

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd
pasturepony9 wrote:It doesn't look like you can attach an additional monitor? Can anyone confirm this is not dual screen capable?

Thanks!

Looks like there's an HDMI port on the side. Easier to see if you look at the pics at the Staples review.

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956
pasturepony9 wrote:It doesn't look like you can attach an additional monitor? Can anyone confirm this is not dual screen capable?

Thanks!

There is a HDMI port - I use mine in dual monitor mode all the time. Just extend the desktop in any modern version of Windows.

blacman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blacman

I wouldn't trust my money with HP products. I bought a DV-7 (17" laptop, different line) a couple years ago. The hard drive died in less than a year and the mother board died soon after. HP support wanted lots of money before they'd do anything. These aren't problems with a single line, but problems with the entire product set.

pasturepony9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pasturepony9

Great! Thanks, so I'd need an hdmi to VGA adapter and then I'm good to go? There's no problem pairing touchscreen to non touchscreen monitor?

I'm just looking for a laptop for studying, syncing my devices, and organizing pics...I'm tired of my computer being slowed down/freezing/"working" by antivirus software and not being able to handle lots of multitasking (ie 4 word docs and 25 explorer tabs). This seems great other than the low quality graphics card.
Think this would be powerful enough for me for the next 4-5 years?

Thanks again!

bettythepug

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bettythepug
pasturepony9 wrote:Great! Thanks, so I'd need an hdmi to VGA adapter and then I'm good to go? There's no problem pairing touchscreen to non touchscreen monitor?

I'm just looking for a laptop for studying, syncing my devices, and organizing pics...I'm tired of my computer being slowed down/freezing/"working" by antivirus software and not being able to handle lots of multitasking (ie 4 word docs and 25 explorer tabs). This seems great other than the low quality graphics card.

Thanks again!

I bought this one a few months ago.I haven't had to use an adapter for a monitor. I just connect to my TV with an HDMI. My TV is not a touchscreen; it works just fine.

I think it is powerful enough to last a few years. The biggest problem is that HP has a terrible reputation for quality. It was such a good price I decided to go for it anyway. So far, I have been really happy. You can run multiple applications at once without problem. I don't game. I am just using things like Microsoft Office. I love having a lighted keyboard, too.

The HP driver for the wireless card is crap. Download the one from Intel instead. After updating to Windows 8.1, I had to update the graphics card driver because I no longer had sound when plugging into the TV with the HDMI adapter.

This is not the most portable laptop. I only move this from room to room so it is not an issue for me.

scfryant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scfryant

Just wondering...

The Specs for this model M7-J010DX at the HP site shows a screen Resolution of 1600x900. This Woot shows 1920x1080.

Can 1920x1080 be confirmed?

[MOD: This is a repeat sale. Specs came from our vendor.]

charlieny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlieny

For those wondering what your external monitor options are. I have the 15" version of this laptop and keep the lid down when I'm in my office. The HDMI port drives a 24" monitor and I purchased a USB3 to HDMI/DVI adapter that drives a second 24" monitor. They work excellent. I don't need a touch screen when I'm at my desk but it is nice when I'm out and about.

zebradude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebradude

FYI...

I have this laptop and the only issue I have is that it is NOT HDCP compliant.

you cannot play iTunes movies on it....

Boo Hoo!

coolbluelb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbluelb
pasturepony9 wrote:Great! Thanks, so I'd need an hdmi to VGA adapter and then I'm good to go? There's no problem pairing touchscreen to non touchscreen monitor?

Thanks again!

Also of note that this comes with WIDI. Although mine quit working once I upgraded to Windows 8.1, this is an option to wirelessly connect to your TV.

[MOD: Per the Specs, it is WiDi ready.]

ThunderThighs

Staff

scfryant wrote:Just wondering...

The Specs for this model M7-J010DX at the HP site shows a screen Resolution of 1600x900. This Woot shows 1920x1080.

Can 1920x1080 be confirmed?

Most computers can be configured with varying specs. Our specs were supplied by the vendor.

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

No drivers available for Windows 7.

Fail.

lindawilliams7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindawilliams7
blacman wrote:I wouldn't trust my money with HP products. I bought a DV-7 (17" laptop, different line) a couple years ago. The hard drive died in less than a year and the mother board died soon after. HP support wanted lots of money before they'd do anything. These aren't problems with a single line, but problems with the entire product set.

I beg to differ! I have had two HP laptop computers. My current one on the Pavillion g7 with Windows 7. It is about 3 years old and working fine. I've never had a problem. My other one was about 4 years old and I still have it. It didn't die or anything, I just wanted to update what I had. Both have done very well. I am just an elderly lady who doesn't know much, but I do know that I like HP products!

bulldogsrruff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bulldogsrruff

If you look at the earlier buys it was confirmed that the resolution is 1920x1080. Very nice.

wootdwoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdwoo

Bought a refurbished HP envy, and NEVER again. 8 weeks later, I still don't have a computer. I spent 15 hours on the phone with tech support and had to send it in for repairs. It came back and now the speakers don't work and it won't play videos. Thank God I got a return authorization from Groupon!!!!

wootdwoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdwoo
blacman wrote:I wouldn't trust my money with HP products. I bought a DV-7 (17" laptop, different line) a couple years ago. The hard drive died in less than a year and the mother board died soon after. HP support wanted lots of money before they'd do anything. These aren't problems with a single line, but problems with the entire product set.

I hear you!!! Me either. NOTHING but problems with my refurbished HP. NEVER again!

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
themacguy wrote:No drivers available for Windows 7.

Probably no drivers for Windows for Workgroups 3.11 either :-/
People really just need to load Start8 or StartIsBack or Classic Shell and get over it EDIT: (Or actually just get used to Windows 8.1, it's noticeably better than 8.0). Windows 8 is not crappy under the hood like Vista was, it's mostly just a new user interface over the top that a lot of folks dislike.

Actually in many (possibly most) cases loading Win 7 will work fine even if not officially supported by the manufacturer. Forum postings can usually confirm whether that's the case or not for a specific model, and whether or not there are any components that won't function properly, but really Win 8.1 is just fine for most people, especially when you have a Touch Screen.
After loading one of the above programs and/or tweaking a couple things you can mostly ignore the Metro interface and use it just about as though it were Win 7 for the most part if desired, but with optimizations and updates (faster boot time, possibly a tiny bit better overall performance, more automated drivers, etc).

On a side note, one of the MS designers commented recently on why they did what they did. I'm not sure I fully buy into it, but at least it seems to make a LITTLE bit more sense now:

http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/microsoft-designer-reddit-windows-8-decisions/

I'm not convinced enough to actually buy a Windows 8.1 upgrade for a system that already has Windows 7, but if it comes with 8, I won't bother trying to roll it back to 7.

Also it looks like this Woot ships with Windows 8.0, but 8.1 is a free downloadable upgrade. There are lots of videos with tips on how to get used to Windows 8 and get things done quickly. For example:

trbart2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trbart2

I've purchased four HP laptops over the last few years. All have logged many many miles in a sleeve in my backpack. Failures include one each - hard drive, main board, hinge and DVD drive. One might ask why I stayed with HP - the laptops were all "good or great deals" and turned out to be fairly cost effective. I also have a three year old Lenovo IdeaPad and have had zero problems with it, although it has had an easier life.

sanitariumzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sanitariumzero

I'm typing this on a refurb HP laptop I bought from Woot in 2009. Laptop has been flawless to date. I recently put an SSD in to hopefully get even a couple more years out of it. I'm temped to pull the trigger on this as I would like to upgrade.

Castille360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Castille360
wootdwoo wrote:I hear you!!! Me either. NOTHING but problems with my refurbished HP. NEVER again!

Luck of the draw, I guess. I picked up an HP pavillion refurb here for daughter and she's been successfully beating that thing up for the better part of a year and it runs all the games she plays. I got today's envy model refurb from newegg, and zero issues, although I'm gentler, but son is co-user and always has sticky hands. (If you get this one, be sure to keep a microfiber cloth handy.)
I've *even* warmed up to win 8, then 8.1. I went with the touchscreen just to see if it would improve my perception of the OS. It did.

candreae

quality posts: 1 Private Messages candreae
codejoy wrote:I am curious if anyone could tell me if this would be a good upgrade to my current "gaming" laptop:

Samsung
4gb
64 bit win 7
Intel i5 M 430@2.27 ghz
nvidia GT330m
500GB hd

Advise?

Well, this depends completely on the kinds of games you play. If you're a FPS type and don't need DX11 quite yet, stick with what you have as the dedicated graphics you have are more powerful than the HD4600 Intel chip on this machine. Obviously if you want to play DX11 games you need to step up from the 330, and this wouldn't be a bad choice. Finally if you're an online MMO kind of guy (this is expecially true for Warcraft) I would pick this machine up in a heartbeat as it (and games like it) tend to be more processor intensive and will benefit from more cores at a higher clock speed. Effectively, the more modern the game, the more benefit you will find with the integrated graphics on the Haswell i7. Be sure to stock this notebook with DDR3 1600 RAM (which it comes with) as it also serves as your video memory. Additionally this machine is capable of a higher resolution than your current computer, something you may need to tone down for gaming but you will greatly appreciate for other activities. Hope this helps.

candreae

Going to the HP support page may give a little insight into why there is a large quantity of refurbished units of this model. Most problems were associated with the BIOS, which these refurbished machines will have had updated. Additionally it seems those who upgraded to Solid State Drives on this machine had rampant issues, not uncommon for the technically impaired. In this case the refurbs will be more stable than the new iterations of this model.

candreae

themacguy wrote:No drivers available for Windows 7.

Fail.

If you don't know how to make windows 8.1 look and feel like windows 7, but with better performance then I object to your summary of the operating system as 'fail.' 8 has some great features and you can lose the metro interface easily. The majority of people who have a visceral reaction to windows 8 haven't even bothered to use it for any signifigant amount of time and are just parroting what they read online.

candreae

wootdwoo wrote:I hear you!!! Me either. NOTHING but problems with my refurbished HP. NEVER again!

You and every other DV-7 owner who didn't bother to research the line's reliability problems, which began almost immediately.

candreae

kmartind wrote:Windows 8 is not crappy under the hood like Vista was, it's mostly just a new user interface over the top that a lot of folks dislike.

Vista got a bad rap, it's rather interesting to put it on a modern computer and see how stable it is, now that drivers are readily available. The two problems that killed it were the resources it required not being inexpensive at the time, so the average buyer had a terrible experience and a complete failure on the part of hardware manufacturers to get on board and provide drivers...which are abundant today.

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops
lindawilliams7 wrote:I beg to differ!... I've never had a problem... I am just an elderly lady who doesn't know much, but I do know that I like HP products!

It's always nice when you find a computer that you feel like you got your money's worth out of .

HP Really does have a (well earned) reputation for being horrible though. Part of that is their bad customer service too.

It's a pretty widely shared sentiment :D..
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP+Sucks

Petey Thaseatesmyne