zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Knife w/ Speed Safe
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Apr 07 to Tuesday, Apr 08) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2849 Private Messages lichme

Great reviews for the Plain Edge via KnifeCenter
More good review from Amazon

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

Same price on Amazon, including free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660ST-Serrated-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B0009VC9YA

Well, I guess the black one is slightly more, but the silver is actually less.

Love a knife deal, but I don't think I'll bite on this one.

xenukzk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xenukzk

I have the plain edge version, as well as 3 others from the Ken Onion series (the Chive, the Scallion, and the Shallot--hey, when your last name is Onion, you go with it). They're great knives. Very well-made, and *very* sharp.

Two of my knives have a rainbow titanium finish, the others (including my Leek) are this matte black.

I recently broke the tip off my Leek--just a couple millimeters off the thinnest part of the blade, doing something I shouldn't have--so this is perfect.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Greta reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) over at knifecenter.com and check out the product page

and

lets learn all about Kershaw

toben7l

quality posts: 4 Private Messages toben7l
breaddrink wrote:Same price on Amazon, including free shipping

Plus, Amazon will ship to NY. It's really only NYC that a lot of knives are banned from, but for some reason Woot won't ship ANY knives to ANYWHERE in NYS

shockthemonkey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shockthemonkey

I own the silver version of this. I've carried it around for about 5 years now and have never been disappointed. The blade is extremely sharp and holds an edge, the point is like a pin, but durable and the spring action is very handy.

Aravena

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aravena

Great knife and a great price. Amazon has the silver finish for cheaper but that's 'cause it's the silver finish, but some people like variety and this is not a normal price on Amazon. I've shopped for this for awhile. The straight edge on Amazon is $10 more and the serrated is the same after shipping.

nebelhund

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund

The black serrated version is $44.98 on Amazon, so you are saving money if you buy it here.

These are amazingly nice knives, quality blades, smooth opening, well built.

I have several in the Leek line and I really like all of them.

bmundt303

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bmundt303
Aravena wrote:Great knife and a great price. Amazon has the silver finish for cheaper but that's 'cause it's the silver finish, but some people like variety and this is not a normal price on Amazon. I've shopped for this for awhile. The straight edge on Amazon is $10 more and the serrated is the same after shipping.

WRONG. Exact same price on Amazon. No deal at all here. Surprise! Better to move on to some of the deal sites with non-corporate reasons to unearth real deals. A 3rd party dealer. This site has turned into a big farce. Stock price is king.

dpuett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpuett

This is my carry knife and I love it. But the price isn't too "woot" if you know what I mean.

ctious

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctious

This price is nothing special. Can buy them all day for the same or cheaper. Woot dropped the ball on the price on these.

But a great knife. Been carrying these for a lot of years.

irishspam

quality posts: 4 Private Messages irishspam

Amazing knife, at a good price.
I own this exact knife and use it almost on a daily basis for years. I bought mine from walmart for $50 dollars and even at that price it is worth it. The build quality is top notch (never had blade wiggle or anything along that line) and the blade is quality steel. With a little practice and a sharpening steel i can get a razor blade edge every time that last.(opposed to dribble knives that dull quickly). Also Kershaw has a life time guarantee, I have never needed it but its their.
Warning: while im 99% sure assisted opening knives are legal in all 50 states (double check your local laws). Most people I have run into assume they are switch blades. I have even had a police officer tell me he probably should arrest me. After a couple minute conversation everything was fine but still not a conversation you want to have in the first place. Just be careful about not flicking it open conspicuously.

dj

res0zd1a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages res0zd1a
xenukzk wrote:I have the plain edge version, as well as 3 others from the Ken Onion series (the Chive, the Scallion, and the Shallot--hey, when your last name is Onion, you go with it). They're great knives. Very well-made, and *very* sharp.

Two of my knives have a rainbow titanium finish, the others (including my Leek) are this matte black.

I recently broke the tip off my Leek--just a couple millimeters off the thinnest part of the blade, doing something I shouldn't have--so this is perfect.

Kershaw will replace the blade fre of charge, just pay shipping.

W00tyMcW00tster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W00tyMcW00tster

This is a great knife. I have several Ken Onion Kershaws - Shallot, Leek, and Chive and a couple of different finishes in the Leek. Razor sharp. Lightening quick to open. You won't find a better EDC, especially at this price.

blankman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blankman
breaddrink wrote:Same price on Amazon, including free shipping

This is the same knife sold on Amazon - the 1660CKT, not the 1660ST. It looks like it's about $10 more there (after shipping). I guarantee this will sell out on woot.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660CKT-Onion-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B0009VC9YK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1396771999&sr=1-1&keywords=Kershaw+1660CKT+Ken+Onion+Leek+Knife+with+Speed+Safe

splendic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages splendic
toben7l wrote:Plus, Amazon will ship to NY. It's really only NYC that a lot of knives are banned from, but for some reason Woot won't ship ANY knives to ANYWHERE in NYS

Not true.

Despite their list of zip codes they don't ship to, they keep sending me knives in NYC.

jbaros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbaros
xenukzk wrote:I have the plain edge version, as well as 3 others from the Ken Onion series (the Chive, the Scallion, and the Shallot--hey, when your last name is Onion, you go with it). They're great knives. Very well-made, and *very* sharp.

Send it back to Kershaw and they will replace the blade for free.

EDIT: Just saw someone else give this suggestion...nothing to see here...

margav

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margav
splendic wrote:Not true.

Despite their list of zip codes they don't ship to, they keep sending me knives in NYC.

It is hereby declared and found that the possession on public places, streets and parks of the city of folding knives which lock upon opening, is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city, that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that is this situation is not addressed, then there is a danger of an increase in crimes of violence and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It has been found that folding knives with a blade of four (4) inches or more that locks in an open position are designed and used almost exclusively for the purpose of stabbing or threat thereof. Therefore for the safety of the city, such weapons should be prohibited from sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York.

AgentSmith5150

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AgentSmith5150
margav wrote:It is hereby declared and found that the possession on public places, streets and parks of the city of folding knives which lock upon opening, is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city, that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that is this situation is not addressed, then there is a danger of an increase in crimes of violence and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It has been found that folding knives with a blade of four (4) inches or more that locks in an open position are designed and used almost exclusively for the purpose of stabbing or threat thereof. Therefore for the safety of the city, such weapons should be prohibited from sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York.

This one's a 3 inch blade

margav

AgentSmith5150 wrote:This one's a 3 inch blade

Absolutely...so why is it restricted? I can see not shipping to NYC, but I can buy this knife (and far more nefarious versions) in a store or have it shipped all day long in upstate NY...except on Woot. Strictly a woot choice and not restricted by law.

gesnerj59

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gesnerj59

Let's watch a video on this nice little knife...

bumpncarstereo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpncarstereo

Seems that they won't ship it to any NY zip code. NYC or not... That sucks.

kookyface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kookyface

This is off topic but i hope a staff is reading. The new woot update for the Iphone does not run on the iphone 4. i really miss being able to check daily on the phone now i have to use the computer!

ekarlw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekarlw

So I checked Amazon (FYI who also own woot!) because of all the posts and the Leeks there at this price have a 'liner lock' not the 'frame lock' offered here - frame locks on Amazon are more.

SO the question begs which type of lock is better and does the frame lock eventually fatigue at the thin machined down 'flex point' and break?

coolbluelb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbluelb
res0zd1a wrote:Kershaw will replace the blade fre of charge, just pay shipping.

Ditto, Kershaw customer service is top knotch!

noah914

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noah914
bumpncarstereo wrote:Seems that they won't ship it to any NY zip code. NYC or not... That sucks.

WOOT just sold me one in NYState.... I guess WOOT fixed the problem.

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins

I've had one, and carried it every day, for a couple of years. It's my favorite tool (and I have a lot of tools). I find some way to use it every day. It's lightweight, very sharp, and very dependable. Easy to sharpen, too.

A drop of oil on the pin every couple of years and it flicks open easily with a satisfying "snick." (A friend with bad arthritis finds his easy to open.)

When you're concerned you might alarm someone, you can use the thumb studs to open it like any boring knife, still with one hand.

And if you manage to hurt it (I haven't), Kershaw will fix/replace it for you.

I recommend the half-serrated blade: it's better for cutting ropes and the like.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

margav

noah914 wrote:WOOT just sold me one in NYState.... I guess WOOT fixed the problem.

Just tried again...
Order Contents

This item cannot be shipped to 12303. Remove this item from your order.

margav

Anybody from Woot staff care to chime in on the NY issue?

neeser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neeser

Is this the black wash version or the dlc coated aluminum scales? Big difference in price. Black wash version is a frame lock other one is liner lock. All of Kershaw's blackwash knives are new styles.

margav

douglasvblair wrote:Is that a real NYC law? How do people Stand living there with that amount of Stupidity?

Real...here's the rest of it -
B. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York any folding knife with a blade length of four or more inches which is so constructed that when it is opened it is locked in an open position and cannot be closed without depressing or moving a release mechanism.

C. Exempt from this section are imported and exporters or merchants who ship or receive locking folding knives, with a blade length of four or more inches, in bulk, which knives are scheduled to travel or have traveled in the course of international, interstate, or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city. Such bulk shipments shall remain in their original shipping package, unopened, except for inspection and possible subdivision for further movement in interstate or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city.

D. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or by imprisonment not exceeding sixteen days (16) or both such fine and imprisonment. Any person violating this section shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand dollar for each violation.

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999

What is better, frame lock or liner lock? Is this a USA or China made?

blaineg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
res0zd1a wrote:Kershaw will replace the blade fre of charge, just pay shipping.

The assisted opening spring on mine broke a while back (after years of daily use). Kershaw gave me two choices when I contacted them: send the knife in, and they would replace the spring; or they would send me the parts & I could do it.

I chose the latter, as I like fiddling with stuff, and it saved me the cost of shipping the knife to them.

They've got a web form for requesting parts:

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/contact

larrytheanvil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larrytheanvil
douglasvblair wrote:Is that a real NYC law? How do people Stand living there with that amount of Stupidity?

The masters of NYC see a knife as a weapon not a tool, and a lock as something other than safety device. I only carry a SAK (usually Alox Cadet) or other sub-3" non-locker when I go into the city. In Westchester county it is not an issue, and I've received two knives via Woot here.

qjk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages qjk
schep999 wrote:What is better, frame lock or liner lock? Is this a USA or China made?

This knife is Made in USA.

I do not own a Leek, but I do own two other Kershaw Speed Safe knives, the Shallot and the Cyclone. The build quality is amazing for the price, and Kershaw's customer service is great. I've gotten replacement torsion springs for each, and now that the Cyclone is discontinued, they've offered to let me out pick a new knife of the same value.

I prefer the serrations, but they are almost impossible to sharpen. You can send it back to Kershaw for a free sharpening, you just pay the shipping.

yesmyok

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yesmyok

Reversible Pocketclip - Can any lefties comment on carrying/opening this?

rroberto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rroberto

I have carried a Leek for almost 4 years daily - great knife. I paid this price for it then.. all silver. Would not hesitate to purchase one. The earlier generation had a metal safety catch while these have plastic, tho I have nothing bad to say about the catch - works fine and never broken.

As to New York... If you want to live there you put up with their stupidity - it's always been that way, and if you put up with their stupidity you deserve it... My stupidity state of MA has been slowly being changed for the better.

Reversible pocket clip has nothing to do with lefty vs righty, it is safety up or hinge up.I use it factory - easy to remove from pocket and slide safety off with little finger then flick open.

FWIW I will never buy another serrated pocket knife... yeah cuts rope better, but almost impossible to sharpen and removes a large section of blade edge from being usable for 90% of what you're going to use this knife for... which is not cutting rope.

xenukzk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xenukzk

To those who pointed out that I can have my Leek repaired cheap (not free, since it was my fault and not a defect): thanks! I think I will go for that.