zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
Price: $289.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Apr 14 to Tuesday, Apr 15) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/14/2013 - $299.99-499.99 - 105 comment(s)

12/31/2013 - $499.99 (Woot Plus)
12/19/2013 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)
12/19/2013 - $499.99 (Woot Plus)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of great reviews over at crutchfield.com and let engadget collect a bunch of reviews for you.

and

Pretty good reviews (8 out of 10) over at TrustedReviews.com

zadriel

quality posts: 8 Private Messages zadriel

I remember a time when woot only sold one item and had three pages of posts within 15 mins of the new one popping up. Congrats Amazon. You've ruined what was once a great thing.

jibal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jibal
zadriel wrote:I remember a time when woot only sold one item and had three pages of posts within 15 mins of the new one popping up. Congrats Amazon. You've ruined what was once a great thing.

There's still just one item on this page, it's still available until it sells out and then that's it, shipping is still $5 ... Amazon didn't change anything significant. People move on ... that doesn't have anything to do with Amazon.

I don't buy as much stuff from Woot as I used to, but I bought one of these here previously ... I'm pretty happy with it.

jgeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgeoff

I can't say anything about this particular product, but, I will say that the Onkyo receiver I got back in the '80s is STILL going strong! ...they did make things better, back then, so I would hope that they still do...

Wooting, now and again, since 2007.

pyynk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pyynk

Talk about perfect timing! I'd been itching to pick one of these up. The 626 is a good price at retail and it's even better at almost half retail.

Omnipotent13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Omnipotent13

Hmm. I did like my Onkyo receiver, right up until it decided that it was no longer going to output sound to my speakers.

After some confusion and some serious googling, it looks like I'm not the only one, and far from it. Onkyo has a lot of people reporting online that their receivers of various recent models have conked out, usually with the same symptoms: loss of use of powered speaker outputs (no relay click), USB stops working, network stops working, all other processing works just fine.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/problems-with-onkyo-tx-nr609

(I have a TX-NR609 that I bought refurbished from an Onkyo-certified online reseller in North America)

Google around for things like "Onkyo HDMI board failure" and you'll find at least a few forum threads with people moaning about it. Many people attribute this to a heat-related failure of one BGA-soldered chip on the HDMI board. Some people's anecdotal evidence of getting it working by heating up their receiver or by removing the board and baking it in their oven for a short time has many people speculating that it's related to the ball grid array under the chip itself, similar to the failure that caused the "red ring of death" in the XBox 360 for so long. Here's one guy's YouTube adventure of using a hairdryer to bring his Onkyo receiver back to life (warning: loud hair dryer noise, and use of the F-bomb a couple of times. Seriously, he must have been pretty frustrated):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOAxD0VneDo#t=443

I skipped ahead for you so you don't have to watch him use the hair dryer on the receiver for 7 minutes. If you're into that kind of thing, feel free to rewind.

There appears to be a product recall at the moment or in the recent past, but the page is part of their UK presence and they claim I am "not affected", though the language on their product recall page is fairly vague, and I can tell you that my product is definitely affected by something.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html

I sincerely hope for those that do purchase one of these refurbished receivers that they are also not affected, but that they're really not affected. Onkyo receivers really are a dream when they're working properly.

[MOD: See Onkyo post below. Problem is fixed in this model.]

SputnikHQ

quality posts: 8 Private Messages SputnikHQ

Why, I remember a day back when we was fighting the Huns and ye could buy a Hershey bar for a NICKEL!

Word 2 ya mutha'

onkyousa

quality posts: 27 Private Messages onkyousa
Omnipotent13 wrote:Hmm. I did like my Onkyo receiver, right up until it decided that it was no longer going to output sound to my speakers.

After some confusion and some serious googling, it looks like I'm not the only one, and far from it. Onkyo has a lot of people reporting online that their receivers of various recent models have conked out, usually with the same symptoms: loss of use of powered speaker outputs (no relay click), USB stops working, network stops working, all other processing works just fine.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/problems-with-onkyo-tx-nr609

(I have a TX-NR609 that I bought refurbished from an Onkyo-certified online reseller in North America)

Google around for things like "Onkyo HDMI board failure" and you'll find at least a few forum threads with people moaning about it. Many people attribute this to a heat-related failure of one BGA-soldered chip on the HDMI board. Some people's anecdotal evidence of getting it working by heating up their receiver or by removing the board and baking it in their oven for a short time has many people speculating that it's related to the ball grid array under the chip itself, similar to the failure that caused the "red ring of death" in the XBox 360 for so long. Here's one guy's YouTube adventure of using a hairdryer to bring his Onkyo receiver back to life (warning: loud hair dryer noise, and use of the F-bomb a couple of times. Seriously, he must have been pretty frustrated):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOAxD0VneDo#t=443

I skipped ahead for you so you don't have to watch him use the hair dryer on the receiver for 7 minutes. If you're into that kind of thing, feel free to rewind.

There appears to be a product recall at the moment or in the recent past, but the page is part of their UK presence and they claim I am "not affected", though the language on their product recall page is fairly vague, and I can tell you that my product is definitely affected by something.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html

I sincerely hope for those that do purchase one of these refurbished receivers that they are also not affected, but that they're really not affected. Onkyo receivers really are a dream when they're working properly.

Hello Omnipotent13; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your posting- if you have researched via Google- you have viewed many customer testimonials that Onkyo itself is actively assisting customers reporting this related issue and offering out-of-warranty servicing on any evaluated model. Please also be aware that Onkyo has provided an improved PCB board to rectify this issue and our customers will not experience any similar issues with their TX-NR 626.

As Onkyo will always stand behind their products and support; as recent customer feedback has shown- customers of the TX-NR 626 model have reported very favorable feedback and absolutely enjoy this receiver. Omnipotent13- if you are concerned or have already experienced any issue with your TX-NR 609 receiver- following that hair dryer trick is not the cure all for servicing your NR 609. We would advise you to please contact our Parts & Services dept. for further assistance (parts@us.onkyo.com or 800-229-1687, option # 4 Monday- Friday 9am to 5 pm EST.). Please be assured that TX-NR 626 owners will provide great reviews in the coming years about that receiver and Onkyo Product Support will always be there to assist.

onkyousa

quality posts: 27 Private Messages onkyousa

Hello and Good morning fellow Wooters!!

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department here today to assist our new and potential Onkyo owners with all questions on the TX-NR 626. Once again- please view the following YouTube clip on this AWESOME AV receiver:

On behalf of Onkyo USA, we'd like to thank all our legacy, current, and potential Onkyo customers for their distinguished choice in our award-winning products.

[MOD: Embedded vid]

boatboy24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boatboy24

What's really tempting me here is the powered zone 2. I can be on the deck, enjoying a cd, or streaming music while wifey is inside watching a movie or listening to something else. Very few receivers in this range with that.

macb240

quality posts: 1 Private Messages macb240
boatboy24 wrote:What's really tempting me here is the powered zone 2. I can be on the deck, enjoying a cd, or streaming music while wifey is inside watching a movie or listening to something else. Very few receivers in this range with that.

I'd suggest looking through the comments from prior sales, or the product instructions carefully. My recollection is that the second zone has some limitations such as only being able to carry an analog source. So no digital sources on both zones at the same time. Again, could be wrong, but that's my recollection.

That said, I'm so tempted every time this item comes up on woot.

dpn0121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpn0121
onkyousa wrote:Hello and Good morning fellow Wooters!!

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department here today to assist our new and potential Onkyo owners with all questions on the TX-NR 626. Once again- please view the following YouTube clip on this AWESOME AV receiver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDsDWYbkL0Q&list=PL7-JLRyMc8dG0YPOVmHWxF3wb_GJt-5PY.

On behalf of Onkyo USA, we'd like to thank all our legacy, current, and potential Onkyo customers for their distinguished choice in our award-winning products.

Will the receiver pass thru the sound when it is off? We use the TV speakers a lot so this feature is important. Thank you

HairyButt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HairyButt

I bought this and it's OK, but the Subwoofer is only a pre-out so you need to buy a powered subwoofer. That sucks because I had a sony system with a lot more power but no bluetooth or wifi and a lot less HDMI ports and I thought this was a nice cheap upgrade.

Home theater isn't the same without a good subwoofer and I haven't gotten around to looking for one yet.

davevpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevpi
dpn0121 wrote:Will the receiver pass thru the sound when it is off? We use the TV speakers a lot so this feature is important. Thank you

I would be very surprised if that is a thing on modern receivers. What would the receiver pass the sound through to?

If the receiver is off, there is no HDMI signal to the TV at all and thus no sound.

13 woots since 2012 totaling $887.91

dpn0121

davevpi wrote:I would be very surprised if that is a thing on modern receivers. What would the receiver pass the sound through to?

If the receiver is off, there is no HDMI signal to the TV at all and thus no sound.

It's actually a pretty common feature. Even when off they are on unless unplugged.

davevpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevpi
dpn0121 wrote:It's actually a pretty common feature. Even when off they are on unless unplugged.

Okay, well, if we're talking about HDMI signal, I have a TX-NR727 (not the model offered here) and when the receiver is off, the TV turns black, so I can say that no, this one doesn't support that ... at least not with HDMI.

If we're talking about an analog video signal (which that would be a less surprising to me that an analog video signal would get passed through when it's off), I have no idea and have never plugged anything analog into my receiver to find out.

13 woots since 2012 totaling $887.91

dpn0121

davevpi wrote:Okay, well, if we're talking about HDMI signal, I have a TX-NR727 (not the model offered here) and when the receiver is off, the TV turns black, so I can say that no, this one doesn't support that ... at least not with HDMI.

If we're talking about an analog video signal (which that would be a less surprising to me that an analog video signal would get passed through when it's off), I have no idea and have never plugged anything analog into my receiver to find out.

Looks like it does have it http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2420&sid=d7492360e9bb15d9eb91b77640475e85

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl

So this hdmi out 2, is this for just projecting the same thing onto two tv's? Or could I have my xbox on my main plasma while having my ps3 on my smaller LED. I would like to be able to do so simultaneously so I can play xbox while someone else plays playstation.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

rhobbel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhobbel

Bought receiver on Woot 8 months ago so I could use my new Blue Tooth headphones well guess what Blue Tooth won't connect to my head phones. Also the remote quit working after a few weeks -------junk!

[MOD: BT on the receiver is for input only, not output.]

dpn0121

rhobbel wrote:Bought receiver on Woot 8 months ago so I could use my new Blue Tooth headphones well guess what Blue Tooth won't connect to my head phones. Also the remote quit working after a few weeks -------junk!

What have you tried to remedy the situation? Any troubleshooting or did that all fail?

broklynite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broklynite

I have an Onkyo 5.1 system (receiver plus speakers) which is more or less a predecessor to this. So a few points I'd like to make:

1. I bought this thing as a refurb directly from Onkyo ~8 years ago, and it's still going strong.

2. People that complained about the unpowered subwoofer are insane. Mine was on a pillow, which sat on a stool, which sat on another pillow, and I still had my downstairs neighbor come up to complain even when it was on its lowest setting. I ended up removing the bass altogether and just using the other 5 speakers. That was with an unpowered subwoofer, and I can only imagine how powerful a powered one would be.

3. The system is highly reliable. However, there are so many little settings that it can be easy to utterly screw them up by accidentally touching a button on the front, and it may not come out of the box the way you wish. Example: when I first got mine, audio only came out of one set of speakers. Took a couple of phone calls to straighten out, but it came down to the settings.

4. Volume is fine, but somehow the speakers don't actually project all that well. I'm not sure why. Actors learn to project their voices rather than just shouting, and it's a feat these speakers could learn from. That said, I'm not the finicky type who requires some ludicrous sound setup. I have a speaker near my head, and it's good enough for me.

Again, I'm talking about a previous model here. But I must say that I'm overall very pleased with it. Onkyo makes a damn fine system, and I've only regretted a little bit that I got a model which doesn't support HDMI (but the HDMI model at the time was missing a number of other data ports, and I didn't have HDMI anything back then). If it weren't for the fact that my setup works as well as the day I bought it, I'd be tempted to get an upgrade. But I can't justify the cost because of that. Happy to see that some electronics companies still try to make quality products without planned obsolescence.

goobzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goobzilla

I bought one, Couple hundo off retail, and the HDMI board problem is fixed. That's good enough for me and my home theater.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rhobbel wrote:Bought receiver on Woot 8 months ago so I could use my new Blue Tooth headphones well guess what Blue Tooth won't connect to my head phones. Also the remote quit working after a few weeks -------junk!

Sorry for the problems.

Did you try pairing the BT headphones with another device to test them?
Update: read super useful wooter's post below that BT is input, not output.

I'm figuring you changed the batteries in the remote?

If you bought it here, you have a full 1-year warranty with Onkyo just like in this sale. Contact them for assistance.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

slvrblt98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slvrblt98

How do you use this receiver if you only have a 5.1 speaker set up?

bhamgolfman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhamgolfman

What warranty from Onkyo comes with this refurbished machine?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhamgolfman wrote:What warranty comes with this refurbished machine?

Welcome. We list the warranty at the bottom of the features on all our sales. This comes with a 1-year Onkyo warranty.

It's factory reconditioned. A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

hughn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hughn
HairyButt wrote:I bought this and it's OK, but the Subwoofer is only a pre-out so you need to buy a powered subwoofer. That sucks because I had a sony system with a lot more power but no bluetooth or wifi and a lot less HDMI ports and I thought this was a nice cheap upgrade.

Home theater isn't the same without a good subwoofer and I haven't gotten around to looking for one yet.

Most "good" subwoofers are self-powered.
Their amps are tailored to the woofer's unique power curve needs.

Check out SVS subs. Made in the USA.

hughn

slvrblt98 wrote:How do you use this receiver if you only have a 5.1 speaker set up?

Same way you use a 7.1 or 7.2 system, minus 2 speakers. Front, center and back, plus a subwoofer. You have the option of using it either way.

Many of us do not have the room for a 7.1
layout!

hughn

davevpi wrote:Okay, well, if we're talking about HDMI signal, I have a TX-NR727 (not the model offered here) and when the receiver is off, the TV turns black, so I can say that no, this one doesn't support that ... at least not with HDMI.

Is it possible you have the TV plugged to a rear switched outlet in your receiver?

Also, it's quite possible you haven't selected this option in one of the many submenus of your receiver.

sva777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sva777

I had one of these after two years the subwoofer port stopped working and now I am using a Yamaha. Was nice while it worked but two years is pathetic. I would stay far away from this.

hughn

zadriel wrote:I remember a time when woot only sold one item and had three pages of posts within 15 mins of the new one popping up. Congrats Amazon. You've ruined what was once a great thing.

Geez, I remember before we had Woot. If all you wanted was to chat, you either had to pay to join Prodigy or CompuServe. Then came AOL and purchased CompuServe. Ruined everything for all.

SelfGovern

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SelfGovern
hughn wrote:Same way you use a 7.1 or 7.2 system, minus 2 speakers. Front, center and back, plus a subwoofer. You have the option of using it either way.

Many of us do not have the room for a 7.1
layout!

Just to clear up a common misconception: 5.1 systems are designed for front left and right, side left and right, and center front. That's "side", not "back" or "rear". When you install a 7.1 system, the extra two speakers are the rear speakers.

Liberty breeds responsibility

carljschneider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carljschneider
sva777 wrote:I had one of these after two years the subwoofer port stopped working and now I am using a Yamaha. Was nice while it worked but two years is pathetic. I would stay far away from this.

What model did you have? Unless I'm mistaken, this model came out in 2013. I'm not trying to downplay your frustration with another model, but it would be hard to have had this one for two years!

rlockhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlockhart

will this play split-tracks/ music-only songs?

cAPSlOCKoN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cAPSlOCKoN
macb240 wrote:I'd suggest looking through the comments from prior sales, or the product instructions carefully. My recollection is that the second zone has some limitations such as only being able to carry an analog source. So no digital sources on both zones at the same time. Again, could be wrong, but that's my recollection.

That said, I'm so tempted every time this item comes up on woot.

You are correct, zone 2 can only play analog. So no to listening to Cds on the patio.

But the 626 has built in Pandora and Spotify apps, plus support for any internet radio station. I'm on my patio right now listening to an internet radio station as I'm writing this. It works fine, and practically any CD is on Spotify anyway.

Amplified2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Amplified2000

You should have done your research prior to purchasing.. the Bluetooth connectivity for these receivers is an INPUT, not an OUTPUT. What that means is you can stream music from a bluetooth source like a SmartPhone and have it play on your speakers via the Onkyo receiver.

HairyButt wrote:I bought this and it's OK, but the Subwoofer is only a pre-out so you need to buy a powered subwoofer. That sucks because I had a sony system with a lot more power but no bluetooth or wifi and a lot less HDMI ports and I thought this was a nice cheap upgrade.

The only "home theater" systems where the receiver powers the sub are the crappy system in a box type.. every real receiver is set up to work with a powered sub. You really should educate yourself on home theater electronics prior to badmouthing a product.

I currently own 2 Onkyo receivers at home and am supremely happy with them.. there is no better bang for the buck in the market today.. the features you get should cost you twice what you are paying.. and the quality is very good as well. My older receiver did have the HDMI board go bad (a well known problem) while the warranty had JUST expired. All it took was one quick e-mail to Onkyo customer service with proof of purchase and boom.. repair authorized. It was about a 2 week turn around and it was back, better than ever with the new and improved HDMI board. I see people mark Onkyo receivers down because of the issues with the board but they have done everything they could to make it right for their customers.. what more can you ask for?

Phibbsr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phibbsr

I own a tx nr 606. I have had so many problems w/it, and horrible experiences w/the Indian customer service that I decided to never buy an Onkyo again. The unit died a ugly death just after the two year warranty did. Also the pass thru they advertised never worked!
Maybe you will have better luck than I did.