zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Puma Men's Bioweb Elite Running Shoes
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Apr 28 to Tuesday, Apr 29) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

More reviews over at Amazon.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

For someone that has slowly (very slowly) begun running, I would be interested to know what people think of these.

lost871

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lost871
conanthelibrarian wrote:For someone that has slowly (very slowly) begun running, I would be interested to know what people think of these.

I don't know about anybody else, but the sole started peeling and the webbing began to disintegrate after maybe 2-3 months. I wasn't really abusing them (maybe running a mile or two about 5 times a month)but they just fell apart after a what I thought to be moderate use at best. My general experience with Puma is that their shoes do not last as long as others you can get for similar prices.

bmrbill

My .02:
Puma is not really a serious running shoe for those who are serious about running.
If you want a decent running shoe, go to a running store and get fitted for the shoe that's right for you. They will tell you whether you pronate or are neutral.
If you just want a good looking 'knock around' shoe, this is probably a good buy.

Parkwaydrive03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Parkwaydrive03

I bought these 6 months ago for lifting and they have been amazing so far. Very comfortable. I ran 2 miles in them and they were decent. I would not buy these if you are a hardcore runner though.

darkheath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkheath

Any chance in hades Puma makes a wide shoe? I really can't believe how flippin' hard it is to find decent wide shoes. Left Macy's earlier tonight… not a single wide shoe in the joint.

countdingo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages countdingo
darkheath wrote:Any chance in hades Puma makes a wide shoe? I really can't believe how flippin' hard it is to find decent wide shoes. Left Macy's earlier tonight… not a single wide shoe in the joint.

I don't buy shoes online (at least, not without trying them on in a store first) for exactly that reason. The best fit for my foot has been a Nike 4E WIDE shoe (Air Monarch, now - used to be named something else), and the best availability for wide shoes (in my experience) has been at Kohl's.

I may hit a store tomorrow and see how these fit and, if they do, pick a pair up on here. I agree with the other answers, though: they're not a 'serious' running shoe, but they do the job.

bmrbill

darkheath wrote:Any chance in hades Puma makes a wide shoe? I really can't believe how flippin' hard it is to find decent wide shoes. Left Macy's earlier tonight… not a single wide shoe in the joint.

New Balance has various widths on their shoes.

silverfaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silverfaux
bmrbill wrote:New Balance has various widths on their shoes.

+1

New Balance is about the most reliable brand to find different options in different widths. I wear a 9.5 4EEEE, huge pain to find anything. I avoided them for years after I was issued them in the Marines, but the quality/comfort seems better now (or my memory is even worse than I thought).

And I'll say this: if you think running shoes are hard to find in wide sizes, try motorcycle boots... Almost everything that isn't just for looks only comes in standard width. I finally gave up and had to custom order a pair.

countdingo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages countdingo
silverfaux wrote:+1

I avoided them for years after I was issued them in the Marines, but the quality/comfort seems better now (or my memory is even worse than I thought).

This, except Navy for me. I got rid of them as fast as I could, once I got stationed, and have never even considered purchasing another pair. I still avoid New Balance, just because...

tydirten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tydirten
countdingo wrote:This, except Navy for me. I got rid of them as fast as I could, once I got stationed, and have never even considered purchasing another pair. I still avoid New Balance, just because...

Maybe both of you should consider tracking down some shoes worn by the Hobbits on The Lord of the Rings movies.

Any shoe is decent for this price. I have never owned a shoe that has worn out before the sole wears out, I only wear Nike for this reason and on average they last over a year with thousands of miles put through them.
Nike 5.0
Nike 4.0
Nike 3.0

lethigpen17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lethigpen17
bmrbill wrote:New Balance has various widths on their shoes.

This. I have a wide foot. New Balance are IMO the best if you're looking for choices in widths for running shoes. Great quality too.

corinthian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages corinthian

I picked up a pair of these at Marshall's. Might have been last year's model, since it's a purple and orange mix that isn't shown here. I don't run, but they are super comfortable for somebody who is on their feet all day at work.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Unless otherwise stated, our shoes (like other retailers) are Standard D width.

I feel for you. My son has the same problem.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jdgilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdgilles
bmrbill wrote:My .02:
Puma is not really a serious running shoe for those who are serious about running.
If you want a decent running shoe, go to a running store and get fitted for the shoe that's right for you. They will tell you whether you pronate or are neutral.
If you just want a good looking 'knock around' shoe, this is probably a good buy.

Couldn't agree more. I put 40-50 miles a week on my running shoes. A top-notch running store will help you pick out the exact shoe for your foot, body, gate and running style (take your old shoes in with you). I usually visit the store about 2x a year for a re-fit and new shoes, then order the replacements (about every 6-8 weeks) on-line.

rgarnier

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rgarnier
ThunderThighs wrote:I feel for you. My son has the same problem.

ThunderThighs has FleshyFeet for a son? ;)

glaicius

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glaicius

If you have wide feet, then Puma is definitely not for you. They usually run narrower than other brands.

I have wide feet so I run into the same problem as you. I used to search high and low for Nike running shoes in wide sizes. Whenever I found them, they turned out to be great. I've also bought New Balance shoes as they seem to be made wider than most, and it has been a hit and miss.

All my problems finding running shoes ended when I found the Salomon brand. They are great shoes and their Lace Lock system is superb.

I run about 15 or more miles every week and after 1.5-2 years of putting them through torture I finally had to break down and buy another pair. In fact I bought 2. I always go for their XT Wings line.

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav

As someone who wears either an 11EE or 4E depending on the shoe, I too feel your pain. I've found most Keen shoes run pretty wide and I've been able to buy their standard width and comfortably wear them. I highly suggest checking out some Asics if you're seriously going to run. Great shoes, geared towards runners, and they offer quite a few in differing widths. But as suggested, get fit properly. Pronate, neutral, supinate - all terms you should know before jumping in 'feet first'.

To note, I've never managed to get my foot in any pair of Pumas. Shame, as I'd like to be one of the cool kids too!

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav
glaicius wrote:If you have wide feet, then Puma is definitely not for you. They usually run narrower than other brands.

I have wide feet so I run into the same problem as you. I used to search high and low for Nike running shoes in wide sizes. Whenever I found them, they turned out to be great. I've also bought New Balance shoes as they seem to be made wider than most, and it has been a hit and miss.

All my problems finding running shoes ended when I found the Salomon brand. They are great shoes and their Lace Lock system is superb.

I run about 15 or more miles every week and after 1.5-2 years of putting them through torture I finally had to break down and buy another pair. In fact I bought 2. I always go for their XT Wings line.

Good point to be made here. You should always have at least two pair, especially if you run. Alternate them daily as the cushioning in sneakers needs the time to decompress. You'll extend the life of your shoes, not to mention your feet.

ichief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichief

What the hell for $40, don't think I will be disappointed that much. Put me in for two pairs.

UPDATE: Looks like I should have read Amazon reviews first. I'm little concerned about the sizing. My son and my feet are narrow so the narrowness shouldn't be a problem, but the length might be. We'll just have to wait and see. I might have to give my son the size 12 instead of the 11 and send the 11 back.

southsidejonny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages southsidejonny

Spidershoes, Spidershoes, something something something Spidershoes.

I am not a creative man...

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303

Others have said this already, but if you are even halfway serious about running I'd get my feet checked at a running store. Good running shoes are built to suit different foot styles (pronate, neutral, supinate) and something like this is going to be very generic and almost certain not to work out too well. They are probably great casual shoes though. For shoes that really cater to runners I'd look at Asics (my fave), Saucony or Brooks. NB can be good for odd shaped feet.
If you like Asics the new season of Gel Nimbus and Cumulus (neutral shoes)is about to release which (like cars) means the previous year's style will be on clearance...

tiptonhr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiptonhr

A word of caution from one of the Amazon reviews:

Be very careful when considering these shoes.
Their size chart is SMALLER then most other shoe manufacturers
I ordered my standard size, 11, but based on what I got i'need at least a 12.5

Before ordering, if you are able to do so I would advise going to a store that has these and trying them on.

randypj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages randypj

The best racquetball shoes I ever had were Pumas in the early 80's. I've never had a shoe before or since that had a sole that provided such "stickiness" on a hardwood court.

But, that was then and this is now!

Y'all seem like a great fountain of info, so I'd like to ask for suggestions for my current situation. Please feel free to PM rather than post if you would like.

New Balance has always been my favorite running/walking shoes. Geez....the price of shoes these days.

Because of my orthotics, and foot problems, my podiatrist says as long as I get "motion control" shoes, I'm fine, which has been the case for the last 7 years.

I would like to purchase 3 or 4 pair, as baby needs new shoes. A variety if possible, as my boss prefers a more business looking shoe, but I like as little business looking shoe as possible.

Would anyone have any DFW mid-cities suggestions for brick and mortor, or any online sites to purchase "motion control" shoes at a fairly reasonable price?

Thank you so much for your time!

louisandtera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisandtera

[/quote]Would anyone have any DFW mid-cities suggestions for brick and mortor, or any online sites to purchase "motion control" shoes at a fairly reasonable price?

Thank you so much for your time![/quote]

Best motion control runner in the world: Brooks Beast. Since 1997.

See reviews at Runner's World magazine. Not cheap, but I get 300+ miles from every pair, and I'm not a small guy. I've owned over a dozen since 97. They come in widths, too, which I need. The Beast basically defined "motion control". Good luck.

aemmerich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aemmerich
tiptonhr wrote:A word of caution from one of the Amazon reviews:

Be very careful when considering these shoes.
Their size chart is SMALLER then most other shoe manufacturers
I ordered my standard size, 11, but based on what I got i'need at least a 12.5

Before ordering, if you are able to do so I would advise going to a store that has these and trying them on.

I was about to pull the trigger on these when I saw this post. I can't say I've had enough good experience with Woot's returns department to trust a shoe purchase with shoes that are notoriously under-sized. I wasn't able to find a reliable size comparison to other brands; just a lot of general complaints about various models being smaller than advertised.

bbotte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbotte
aemmerich wrote:I was about to pull the trigger on these when I saw this post. I can't say I've had enough good experience with Woot's returns department to trust a shoe purchase with shoes that are notoriously under-sized. I wasn't able to find a reliable size comparison to other brands; just a lot of general complaints about various models being smaller than advertised.

I have several pair of Puma, Adidas and Nike. I wear a 10 in Adidas, Nike, and Puma.

wootyougot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootyougot

I'm an avid runner and I enjoy trying out different pairs of shoes. From minimalist to hard core trekking shoes, I found one thing to be true: NEVER DISCOUNT YOUR FEET. If a shoe is less than $50 there is a HUGE reason for it.

It may be a close out and you got lucky, then go for it. If they have tons of 10-11 (most popular sizes) and they are less than $50... Buyer Beware. Don't skimp on your feet!!!

wootyougot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootyougot
aemmerich wrote:I was about to pull the trigger on these when I saw this post. I can't say I've had enough good experience with Woot's returns department to trust a shoe purchase with shoes that are notoriously under-sized. I wasn't able to find a reliable size comparison to other brands; just a lot of general complaints about various models being smaller than advertised.

After amazon bought out woot, their customer service is -0.0 They are absolutely horrible. They take forever and in some instances never respond. Then when something wasn't as described or arrives in horrible condition their new motto is to say, "too bad for you! Don't buy it next time, NO RETURN!"

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

I have a pair of these, they are super comfortable but the mesh gets snagged and torn pretty quickly. After a few months they became my gym shoes for when I'm lifting weights, for which they are amazing as they stay very cool.

wooters!!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wooters!!

Thought the name was Puma blowj@b on my phone screen at first glance. Need to get bigger fonts when reading.😃
http://www.adrants.com/2003/03/puma-ads-not-for-the-squeamish.php

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
tydirten wrote:Maybe both of you should consider tracking down some shoes worn by the Hobbits on The Lord of the Rings movies.

Any shoe is decent for this price. I have never owned a shoe that has worn out before the sole wears out, I only wear Nike for this reason and on average they last over a year with thousands of miles put through them.
Nike 5.0
Nike 4.0
Nike 3.0

+1 on the wide foot joke.

The Nike frees mentioned feel like slippers the second you put them on. For me, I get a more cushioned running shoe, as I have high arches and am a bigger guy (6'4, 225). The person was right when they said go get fit at a running shop. I would have never thought a more flexible midsole was something I would ever worry about, but it helps keep away the plantar fascitis with my high arches.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wootyougot wrote:After amazon bought out woot, their customer service is -0.0 They are absolutely horrible. They take forever and in some instances never respond. Then when something wasn't as described or arrives in horrible condition their new motto is to say, "too bad for you! Don't buy it next time, NO RETURN!"

We had some delays in responding to emails during and for a while after the holidays. Response time is now the normal 1-2 business days.

There's a link to our return policy in my signature. Size is not considered a defect so we do not do returns for things that don't fit. This is because, unlike a normal retailer, we do not maintain ongoing inventory. Our goal is to sell out so we can't return items to stock.

On the topic of wide shoes, we get what the vendor/manufacturer will sell us. Wide shoes are made in smaller quantities and usually sell out faster. As such, they're usually not available for us to purchase.

As a wide-foot woman with a wide-foot son, I feel your pain.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lacotomo

randypj wrote:The best racquetball shoes I ever had were Pumas in the early 80's. I've never had a shoe before or since that had a sole that provided such "stickiness" on a hardwood court.

But, that was then and this is now!

Y'all seem like a great fountain of info, so I'd like to ask for suggestions for my current situation. Please feel free to PM rather than post if you would like.

New Balance has always been my favorite running/walking shoes. Geez....the price of shoes these days.

Because of my orthotics, and foot problems, my podiatrist says as long as I get "motion control" shoes, I'm fine, which has been the case for the last 7 years.

I would like to purchase 3 or 4 pair, as baby needs new shoes. A variety if possible, as my boss prefers a more business looking shoe, but I like as little business looking shoe as possible.

Would anyone have any DFW mid-cities suggestions for brick and mortor, or any online sites to purchase "motion control" shoes at a fairly reasonable price?

Thank you so much for your time!

Local Michigan running stores in the Metro D area called Running Fit are great!

lacotomo

bbotte wrote:I have several pair of Puma, Adidas and Nike. I wear a 10 in Adidas, Nike, and Puma.

I agree. I am wearing Puma right now and they are true to size. Of course a different style than this one. Best bet is to 'run' up to your local store that carries these and try them on...

lacotomo

Dick's Sporting Goods has these for $49.99 (only 5 bucks more after shipping) in a bunch of colors. You can try them on there...Black/red was the only common color though and the bottoms look different, so I am wondering if this is an older model or if Dick's had their colors custom made....

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24697856

419er

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 419er
jdgilles wrote:Couldn't agree more. I put 40-50 miles a week on my running shoes. A top-notch running store will help you pick out the exact shoe for your foot, body, gate and running style (take your old shoes in with you). I usually visit the store about 2x a year for a re-fit and new shoes, then order the replacements (about every 6-8 weeks) on-line.

This