zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G
Price: $199.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Monday, Jul 07 to Thursday, Jul 10) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

jthebird1977

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jthebird1977

I would love to give a review of this, however the one i bought last week has yet to ship. COME ON WOOT! HURRY UP.

that said, i'm sure it's being sent out by the vendor, so they are SLOOOOWW!!!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

jthebird1977

These sold out before noon last Thursday. If you are on the fence, buy it now!

oggusfoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oggusfoo
theco2 wrote:I'd like to try out a Chromebook. I'm guessing it's better than Windows, but that's not saying much.

Chromebook really is radically different experience than a laptop. It's like a more functional tablet because the larger screen and dedicated keyboard. It opens apps and updates in seconds and syncs with existing gmail accounts. I've actually used the chromebook to edit formatting of a document I was dictating to my android cell phone. Two cursors and everything, but was really a brilliant moment.

jthebird1977

Also, my mom paid full price for two new ones from walmart ($329 i think) a couple of weeks ago. She love's it so much she bought my sister one.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul

A few notes about Chromebooks:

To print, you'll need to use Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint). It works with most modern networked printers and is easy to set up.

Since these are refurbs, some of them will end up qualifying for Google's promotions (free 100GB of Drive space for 2 years, 12 in-flight data coupons), while others will not qualify. It seems to be a crap shoot, based on whether the previous owner ever registered the hardware or not.

Google recently announced that some Android apps will be coming to Chromebooks, as well as the ability to sync data between Android devices and Chromebooks.
http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome-os-and-android-get-cozy-app-integration-cross-platform-syncing

The RAM is not upgradable, but 4GB is enough for ChromeOS to run smoothly, even when streaming HD video.

The lifetime 200mb monthly 4G access is only on T-Mobile's network. It will not do data roaming. A full sized SIM card will come with the Chromebook's paperwork.

As long as you're familiar with using Chrome and have a Google account, there's basically no learning curve. If you can do it in Chrome, then you can do it on a Chromebook. These models use the Haswell generation of Celeron processors, which make these Chromebooks lightning fast to use. The battery life is also as good as advertised

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3296 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

sherlock712

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sherlock712

I bought one of these on Woot last month for 20 bucks more than this and I'm very happy with it. Boots consistently within 8 seconds. Battery life is crazy good; I leave the adapter at home in the morning, have the machine turned on all day (web only, by and large) and still have 5+ hours of battery life left at the end of the work day. Got the 100 GB of cloud storage for two yesrs and it came with a T-Mobile SIM card that gets you the lifetime 200 MB/month from T-Mobile. That's not much, obviously, but signing up is easy and it looks easy to add data limit as I need it. Also, the SD slot read a 64GB SDXC card perfectly with video. At this price, it's really a steal.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 37 Private Messages dernst_ca1
ripprsoul wrote:A few notes about Chromebooks:

To print, you'll need to use Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint). It works with most modern networked printers and is easy to set up.

Since these are refurbs, some of them will end up qualifying for Google's promotions (free 100GB of Drive space for 2 years, 12 in-flight data coupons), while others will not qualify. It seems to be a crap shoot, based on whether the previous owner ever registered the hardware or not.

Google recently announced that some Android apps will be coming to Chromebooks, as well as the ability to sync data between Android devices and Chromebooks.
http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome-os-and-android-get-cozy-app-integration-cross-platform-syncing

The RAM is not upgradable, but 4GB is enough for ChromeOS to run smoothly, even when streaming HD video.

The lifetime 200mb monthly 4G access is only on T-Mobile's network. It will not do data roaming. A full sized SIM card will come with the Chromebook's paperwork.

As long as you're familiar with using Chrome and have a Google account, there's basically no learning curve. If you can do it in Chrome, then you can do it on a Chromebook. These models use the Haswell generation of Celeron processors, which make these Chromebooks lightning fast to use. The battery life is also as good as advertised

heh heh you said "crap shoot" heh heh..

-JMHSRV

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3296 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Now Woot!, I know that you already sent out my Babies on Cribs that the lovely @thunderthighs put out there but do you think you can ship one of these to me as an early birthday present? I promise to say thank you!

joecooool

quality posts: 23 Private Messages joecooool

This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

It has a 16 gb memory. My iPhone has four times that.

If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

jthebird1977

joecooool wrote:This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

Is this personal experience or speculation. We use Google docs almost exclusively and a lot can be accomplished on the web. Wouldn't it be better to encourage people to be informed consumers rather than mindless drones?

oggusfoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oggusfoo
joecooool wrote:This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

If your business takes photos of receipts that sync with evernote (and are stored on their cloud), or you fill out spend down reports with a simple spreadsheet using that info. These are kinds of business uses. If you have to install anything, that's out of the question. If it is on the chrome store, it can run. It handles flash without a problem!

phordguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phordguy

Business uses as a thin client (ala virtual desktop) makes a chromebook with a long battery life quite acceptable though.

alextse

quality posts: 23 Private Messages alextse

I wonder if I could use that SIM card in another device and it would still give me 200 MB/month?

BethInAK

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BethInAK

QUESTION: I am looking at the TMobile coverage map here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

Is it safe to assume that pink is coverage and purple is roaming?

Because that would imply no coverage in Alaska ;-(

atomizer

quality posts: 13 Private Messages atomizer

I'm using this Chromebook right now, got it from the Woot sale about a week ago.

Compared to my Acer C710, which I still use and love, the HP is a bit faster but larger, and battery life is similar (the Acer has the extended batter.) They're not kidding about this thing getting ~9.5 hours; right now I'm at 82% and the estimate is roughly 8-8.5 hours remaining! The HP's larger display is very nice, and the machines have similar weight.

The free 200 MB/month 4G is nice to have as a backup, although I haven't needed to use it in the few days I've had this.

The only thing I really don't like about the HP is that the keyboard doesn't have dedicated Home/End/etc. keys; I use those a LOT, for both page scrolling and tab navigation. Also, I'd prefer the device was available in different colors; a simple black or grey would suffice.

All in all, these things are a steal at $200, even if they're not the latest ones with touch displays. If you do any amount of Web browsing, e-mail, or work with Google apps, you'll love a Chromebook. You don't have to give up your PC for running applications, but you'll appreciate the simplicity & stability ChromeOS offers.

85 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

anahlik wrote:I have given my information on the return page as I also had the 2gb issue, but I have not heard back. I would certainly be willing to get one of these. Is my best bet to buy here and return the other for full refund? Or is some other resolution in progress? I dont want to miss out on this like I missed out last time (was trying to buy the 4gb and had in cart when it sold out so settled wrongly for the 2gb).

Thanks for your question.

Per the buyer, if you purchase the 4GB model now and reach out to WMS you should be able to expect a refund for RMA on the 2GB.

If you've already written in (or used the Support page) they should be replying soon and provided further answers.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

Do these offer a direct connection to the NSA or what?

drrjv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drrjv

Tried to pawn one on my 92 yo mother but she refused to give up her MacBook Air!

LadyAberlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyAberlin

I'm not crazy about the color options. Is the coral more of a red, an orange, or pink? It looks pretty red in the picture which I'd be okay with, but if it's more pink, I'd go with a different color.

hazyeyedhello

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hazyeyedhello

Bought the 4GB version offered a month ago but it only came in white. Super jealous of the colors offered!!! That said, this computer is worth it if you're looking to get a Chromebook.

This was my first Chromebook and I'm very happy so far with it (it surprisingly came with the 100GB free storage with Drive but I doubt I'll be needing that much anyway). Haven't tried using the 4G yet since I primarily have WiFi where I use it but I also set things up for offline use, especially Google Docs. Haven't had a problem with documents syncing up to save once in an area with WiFi. Anyway, I have T-Mobile as my cellphone provider which is what encouraged me to get it. They make it very easy to add a plan onto your bill if you so choose. Haven't done it yet, but am glad it won't be a hassle.

By far the most amazing thing about this computer is the battery life. My Windows 7 laptop is a couple of years old and won't even last half an hour without dying. This Chromebook does 9 hours with ease and doesn't mysteriously have a lower battery level when I turn it on from the last time I turned it off. Extremely fast start up, kind of tricky keyboard shortcuts at first (the lack of caps lock is still throwing me off and I end up searching my computer for acronyms and angry things I wanted to be in caps). Kind of wish it came with a physical cheat sheet but the help guide is very easy to understand.

No one asked for my opinion but I have it anyway, so there!!!

housten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages housten

On a Chromebook, hold down the Control and the Alt key at the same time. Quickly press once on the question mark key to reveal a screen of keyboard shortcuts for the Chromebook.

bogof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bogof

I want to get this for my daughter going off to college. She needs it mostly for document writing and power point presentations. She hasn't ever used Google docs and is afraid they won't interface in pretty much the same way as MS Office. Then there is the printing issue. Can't she just download onto a usb drive and get them printed off from that? Thanks for feedback!

ingus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ingus
joecooool wrote:If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

I don't have the HP. I have an Acer with the Haswell chip as this does. I have only 2 gig of memory.

Right now I have 11 tabs open in my browser and three apps running. I am a website designer and use an online app for design and publishing.

Google Drive stores all my stuff. I share four folders with my current clients. Google Documents works as well as most stuff in Windows Office.

I spent a couple of crappy weeks of winter on the east coast learning how a Chromebook works. It is my main go to laptop now.

Great battery life, turns on in 7 seconds, lots of apps that are free to take the place of software, built in antivirus protection, auto updates that never slow it down, light as a feather, videos and sound are great, dual monitor support. Lots more.

Don't believe some of the reviews of Chromebooks. Most of them are hogwash from users who didn't want to learn how to use it,and became frustrated with themselves,or are fanboys of a certain OS. I have spent thousands on laptops. This is the best $200 I have ever spent. The HP specs are better than mine.

oldguybob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oldguybob
LadyAberlin wrote:I'm not crazy about the color options. Is the coral more of a red, an orange, or pink? It looks pretty red in the picture which I'd be okay with, but if it's more pink, I'd go with a different color.

Just got mine last night from last weeks sale and it is certianly not pink. Much more like a deep salmon or coral color. Not as pastel as the pictures show. Its got a deep redish - orangeish color. I rather quite like it.

teggy95

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teggy95

Anyone have success using an AT&T SIM in this?

gmdman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmdman

Will the 4G work in Italy or France ? I'm thinking this might be a good option for staying connected as I travel...

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

I would not recommend Chromebook for a student. Yes you can get by with it. But a college student is going to need at least a dual core and some space. And the difference in price is worth it.

I've used Chromebook and it's awesome for what it is, a way to browse the net, stream video and to SIMPLE docs and presentations.

For more info for MS Power Point and Chrome see:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3220502?hl=en

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood
bogof wrote:I want to get this for my daughter going off to college. She needs it mostly for document writing and power point presentations. She hasn't ever used Google docs and is afraid they won't interface in pretty much the same way as MS Office. Then there is the printing issue. Can't she just download onto a usb drive and get them printed off from that? Thanks for feedback!

Google Docs is improving rapidly, and arguably is as good as Office for the typical needs of most students (and most people). It is *not* as good as Office overall, but Office is typically overkill. Your daughter can try it for free on any Chrome browser (Google "Google Docs" and click the main link). Docs are stored on the web and so putting them on a flash drive is not typically what she'd be able to do... although it's possible Google will improve this aspect as well.

Edit: I agree with EricPost that this is likely not a complete college solution. It is good to augment another system, but very unlikely good enough to be her entire system unless she get by purely with web apps.

Wolffhardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wolffhardt
EricPost wrote:I would not recommend Chromebook for a student. Yes you can get by with it. But a college student is going to need at least a dual core and some space. And the difference in price is worth it.

I've used Chromebook and it's awesome for what it is, a way to browse the net, stream video and to SIMPLE docs and presentations.

For more info for MS Power Point and Chrome see:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3220502?hl=en

Simply not true - FWIW. I use one, as a student, and have no troubles. I have no idea what you're doing as a student that would require "a dual core and some space" but I'm guessing this can do it for you, quickly, if you took the time to learn how.

njlad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njlad

I bought this the very last time it was offered - and it is good. I have other PC choices to use but this is lighter, cooler [temp-wise] and far better battery life with no spinning HD. I have plugged in my external HD for files and all I miss is they keyboard I am used to - I really miss a dedicated delete key! But...there are shortcuts for it so just my brain needing to learn.

I already use Chrome as an internet browser for work so easy for me. I did get the TMobile 200mb for free - for life deal. And signed up for the My Drive on Google so I have plenty of storage/connection options.

If you are thinking about it...just go for it... on it now and it replaces me getting on my work laptop for my morning check ins...

gmcreager

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmcreager

Bought this when it was here last week - love it!

billthegunowner

quality posts: 13 Private Messages billthegunowner

Only 16GB of storage? How much of that is taken up by the Chrome OS?

Bill

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ripprsoul wrote:A few notes about Chromebooks:

T Mobile SUED Big Time:

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/01/t-mobile-sued-for-knowingly-adding-bogus-charges-to-your-bill/

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Anybody care that this OS is an open window for Google to see everything you do?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK

Unless you are really really limited on budget I would not suggest this unless your daughter is VERY tech savy. Before the masses chime in let me just say I spent most of my 4 years in college helping young girls who's mom, dad, or grandparent thought hey lets give them new technology they've never used. This include the all so useless Mac and Chromebook and any other variation that is not straight windows out of the box. Your child does not need the stress of figuring out what to me is very simple but not to them system while trying to shotgun a beer and take a Comm class.

bogof wrote:I want to get this for my daughter going off to college. She needs it mostly for document writing and power point presentations. She hasn't ever used Google docs and is afraid they won't interface in pretty much the same way as MS Office. Then there is the printing issue. Can't she just download onto a usb drive and get them printed off from that? Thanks for feedback!

--TheCK

jeraden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jeraden

How suitable are these for doing something like a remote desktop connection to a windows PC so you can run real applications on it (sort of)? Is it pretty smooth, or more frustration than it's worth?