charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
mgilmer54 wrote:Anybody know where these are made? I religiously avoid anything made in China that touches my food.

I wish more Americans were particular in picking products to buy as you.

If you go to their site, you are not told out right where these may be manufactured but I think you can determine at least some idea from what is stated or, in this case, what is not stated.
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware-comparison.html

For example, they have one and only one line of cookware (French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless Cookware) that they clearly state, "Made in France". However, on the other 14 lines shown on the same page, not one has a country of origin listed. That is certainly not ironclad proof of anything but, If I absolutely did not want a product from China, this would probably cause me to pass.

I looked all over the web and just could not find anything solid to go on. I did find one blog where an individual stated everything they sold came from China but as you can see, that could not be counted on as at least one line they make is made in France.

nfctinken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nfctinken

Crap Woot as usual. As many have listed, it's cheaper locally and even online with other vendors. Love the "list" price of $580. When the hell was this set ever that price?

I'll stick to eating Ramen out of a toothbrush holder!

acowinthecrowd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acowinthecrowd
richlang wrote:Anyone concerned about how non-stick surfaces wear out? Guess where it goes? Only one place - in the food and in our bodies.

That's two places.

vshonen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vshonen
charliecarroll wrote:There is more than a $10 savings with WOOT. Sam's Club is open to 'members only'. If not already a member you must pay annual fees to become and remain a Sam's Club member. Also, wanted to check out shipping charges in case one did not live close to a club and wanted it shipped. At the link you sent it says "This item is out of stock for delivery. Please Select A Club for pick up." So, only available to anyone that lives in a Sam' Club location area and then the product is still subject to local availability. I would venture to say it would be a good guess that, even if it was available for shipping, the shipping charges would have been more than $5. This would have to be considered in you savings also.

So like you say, it is $10 less here on Woot. But in addition the product is available from Woot at this price at this time. Also, you do not have to go to a store location as it will be shipped to your home for $5.

I own this set from Sam's club. I originally was going to buy a different one, but when I got there they were sold out. This was the same price and similar product. I have not been disappointed with it. it's everything I thought it would be. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a moderately priced hard anondized cook set with glass lids.

kenshelby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenshelby

John Badner of Whitford Corp., the company that originally designed "Quantanium", has stated that the nonstick coating does contain PTFE. Keep temps below 500 F. and you should be OK.

dkdeford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkdeford
richlang wrote:Anyone concerned about how non-stick surfaces wear out? Guess where it goes? Only one place - in the food and in our bodies.

A little teflon never hurt anybody. It is not toxic as some have claimed; completely inert as it passes through your gut.

SyrupMonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SyrupMonkey
sjsteinke wrote:I've had a set of Cuisinart cookware just like this one and I LOVE them!! But beware, they are not diswasher safe. Putting them in the dishwasher will ruin them in a matter of months. They have to be hand washed when dirty, but because of the finish, they wash up super easy. Many times we don't even wash the frying pans, just wipe them out with a paper towel and they are good to go.

I would have to agree with this statement. I have a set just like this one, we washed them in the dishwasher with everything else, and within a few months the outside finish started to fade and turned grey. The outside now has a chalky feel to them. But after two years, other than that, we still LOVE these pots and pans and use them almost every day! And the non stick surfaces are still in good shape, keeping food from sticking just like its supposed to.

georoxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages georoxx
sraischel wrote:What makes some pans better or worse for induction stove tops? And what are the negative effects for your food or your pans?

ANSWER: In the past several years, induction cooktops have become more common. These models have smooth glass surfaces, too, but they use electromagnetic elements, which heat the pan directly rather than transferring heat from a radiant burner to the pan bottom. Cookware must be magnetic -- made of stainless steel or cast iron -- in order for an induction cooktop to work; glass and ceramic cookware won't do.

barb1432

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barb1432

[e postid="5258307" user="aycheung"]only $10 less than sams club

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/cuisinart-14-piece-classic-non-stick-hard-anodized-cookware-set/prod2610261.ip[/quote]

In addition to the other points made about the Sam's Club price, you also have to add sales tax.

dkdeford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkdeford
SyrupMonkey wrote:I would have to agree with this statement. I have a set just like this one, we washed them in the dishwasher with everything else, and within a few months the outside finish started to fade and turned grey. The outside now has a chalky feel to them. But after two years, other than that, we still LOVE these pots and pans and use them almost every day! And the non stick surfaces are still in good shape, keeping food from sticking just like its supposed to.

The grey look and chalky feel are due to minerals in your water, and the fact that phosphates are no longer used in dishwasher detergent. Add half a cup of white vinegar to each dishwasher load and your problem will be solved.

jk7777

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jk7777

Make note, you will have to HAND WASH these pans.

I have always used hard anodized pans but make it a point to buy dishwasher safe ones because I really don't like to hand wash anything that isn't part of, or attached to, my body!

I can't find this exact set on the Cuisinart website but the 66-14 is effectively the same set. You can click here to visit Cuisinart and then click the "Download Manual" link on the right side of the page and you will find...
"Cookware should be washed by hand with hot sudsy water and a sponge or soft dishcloth.... Do not put in the dishwasher since harsh detergents will harm exterior finish."

When I bought my last set (been a few years...) only Anolon offered a dishwasher safe set. A quick query on the Cuisinart site shows that they do have a dishwasher safe set. You can view it here or other options /comparison here.

Cheers.

jknash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jknash

Does this set have an aluminum disc on the bottom or is it all one piece?

jarrodrandel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarrodrandel

Yeah, but when i eat food i put in my body, I usually poop it out. How are little black teflon pieces any different? I am not a doctor/chemist/biologist and I have done no research on this specific "issue", so i could be wrong. I do know, my internal body temp is nowhere near 500*F, so I doubt I will be causing any harmful reactions internally. I swallowed a pen cap when I was 4, and I have 2 pieces of graphite from a pencil lodged in each of my hands, I seem to be ok. Thats my rant.

jimmyk393

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyk393

YMMV I just purchased this set for $124 at a Sams Club in Kenosha, WI.

aycheung wrote:only $10 less than sams club

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/cuisinart-14-piece-classic-non-stick-hard-anodized-cookware-set/prod2610261.ip

Nefertiti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nefertiti
sraischel wrote:What makes some pans better or worse for induction stove tops? And what are the negative effects for your food or your pans?

Induction cooktops require cookware made with magnetic metal such as stainless in order to work. There is no direct heat put out by them; they work by induction heating.

jimmyk393

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyk393

It's all one piece.

jknash wrote:Does this set have an aluminum disc on the bottom or is it all one piece?

anitarx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anitarx

any idea what the difference is between this set (68-14SA) and the 66 model number?

KorbenD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KorbenD
jarrodrandel wrote:Yeah, but when i eat food i put in my body, I usually poop it out. How are little black teflon pieces any different? I am not a doctor/chemist/biologist and I have done no research on this specific "issue", so i could be wrong. I do know, my internal body temp is nowhere near 500*F, so I doubt I will be causing any harmful reactions internally. I swallowed a pen cap when I was 4, and I have 2 pieces of graphite from a pencil lodged in each of my hands, I seem to be ok. Thats my rant.

Butbutbut . . . it's a CHEMICAL!

Then again, so is water, atmospheric oxygen, etc.

It's amusing when I see any product advertised with the words "no chemicals".

hannahbc88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannahbc88
rahil123 wrote:Calcium in your water may leave a multicolored stain on the outside of your cookware. This is from a harmless deposit and can be removed with a little warm vinegar. Certain foods such as pasta or oatmeal may leave a light residue or cloudy appearance.

This can be easily removed with any of these cleaning products: Bon Ami®, Cameo® Stainless Steel or Metal Cleaner, Nevr-Dull

Use baking soda/vinegar

homophil79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages homophil79

I owned this set (bought somewhere else). After 3 months, the finish started chipping off despite hand washing and never ever using anything metal anywhere near them. The negative reviews I read suggested this might be an issue, but I ignored them - obviously these people were doing something wrong, how can Cuisinart make something of poor quality...?
Turns out Cuisinart is great at making really nice looking stuff that isn't the best quality.
I was shockingly disappointed in Cuisinart and returned them for a different brand.
Proceed with caution...

grenade01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages grenade01

Must be Cuisinart new model time or something, Gilt just had a kitchenaid 14pc set in Red but it was only $99.

binxy324

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binxy324

Pretty sure they are made in China. I have looked at Cuisinart repeatedly in stores and they are always made in China. That is why I cannot buy them either.

sara567

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sara567

i've had this exact set for about 7-8 years, use some of them almost everyday. no issues, have even thrown them in the dishwasher on occassion, although rare.

if they ever wear out i will certainly buy again.

morlince

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morlince

They either work or don't, there is no try.

Induction pans need a steel insert in the bottom to make them ferrous. Most pans now days are SS or Aluminum. To test a pan if it would work on induction a magnet has to be able to stick to it. If they dont 'recommend' these, it means they wont work.

yyuuuu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yyuuuu
binxy324 wrote:Pretty sure they are made in China. I have looked at Cuisinart repeatedly in stores and they are always made in China. That is why I cannot buy them either.

According to the Sam's website, if you click the "See full details below" button, you'll find the country of origin listed as China.

Also, from the "Cooking For Two" website, the composition is listed as "18/10 Stainless Steel inside and out, aluminum core".

Just sayin'...

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
homophil79 wrote:I owned this set (bought somewhere else). After 3 months, the finish started chipping off despite hand washing and never ever using anything metal anywhere near them. The negative reviews I read suggested this might be an issue, but I ignored them - obviously these people were doing something wrong, how can Cuisinart make something of poor quality...?
Turns out Cuisinart is great at making really nice looking stuff that isn't the best quality.
I was shockingly disappointed in Cuisinart and returned them for a different brand.
Proceed with caution...

It seems this Cuisinart is not our mothers' Cuisinart. It was going bankrupt and bought out by Conair a while back!

Read their warranty! If you have a problem with a brand new item you must pay for shipping to and from Cuisinart! Many a complaint on BBB giving them an F rating!

The beautiful Stainless Steal Set Woot sold a few weeks ago (and Sold Out) arrived with a burnt spot in one skillet and some moldy looking spots around one glass lid (not sure it was mold but that is what it looked like).

Took pics and called Cuisinart! Told I would have to pay for shipping both ways. HuH!?! With moldy looking stuff and you are not interesting??? Talked to a supervisor and same answer. Woot support helped with some credit to pay for shipping - Oh, btw, Cuisinart kept saying Woot was lying about this set being a special order for Woot but could never find the style # in their cat?!?

Eventually got things squared away and just got a lid replacement today (skillet on its way) - Cuisinart doc says "EXCLUSIVE SET FROM WOOT.COM"!

aldrenean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldrenean

Why would anyone want non-stick pots? Or more than one or two non-stick pans, for that matter? They're only really useful for eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, stuff like that...

homophil79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages homophil79
fjp999 wrote:It seems this Cuisinart is not our mothers' Cuisinart. It was going bankrupt and bought out by Conair a while back!

Read their warranty! If you have a problem with a brand new item you must pay for shipping to and from Cuisinart!

I bought my set at JCP - with their new return policy I didn't even need a reason to get a full refund. Glad I didn't deal with the warranty...

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

aldrenean wrote:Why would anyone want non-stick pots? Or more than one or two non-stick pans, for that matter? They're only really useful for eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, stuff like that...

you just described two things that people eat often!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
charliecarroll wrote:There is more than a $10 savings with WOOT. Sam's Club is open to 'members only'. If not already a member you must pay annual fees to become and remain a Sam's Club member. Also, wanted to check out shipping charges in case one did not live close to a club and wanted it shipped. At the link you sent it says "This item is out of stock for delivery. Please Select A Club for pick up." So, only available to anyone that lives in a Sam' Club location area and then the product is still subject to local availability. I would venture to say it would be a good guess that, even if it was available for shipping, the shipping charges would have been more than $5. This would have to be considered in you savings also.

So like you say, it is $10 less here on Woot. But in addition the product is available from Woot at this price at this time. Also, you do not have to go to a store location as it will be shipped to your home for $5.

...however, if you have a issue 2 years from now, woot will say "Cuisinart who?" while SAMS (and costco) will take them back and refund or replace. And yep, I have memberships to both. ;-)

TC1 USCG Ret

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
mgilmer54 wrote:Anybody know where these are made? I religiously avoid anything made in China that touches my food.

As someone else suggests, I offer this. If they were made in the USA, they would be boasting it. And it appears after 1992, most of their cookware is made in China. So I think I'll pass.

"All Cuisinart products made after 1992 were made in China, except for the occasional glass caraffe or lid that was made in Germany. The food processors made before 1992 were made in Japan or France."

TC1 USCG Ret

aldrenean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldrenean
PemberDucky wrote:you just described two things that people eat often!

The nice thing about a pan is that it's washable.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 92 Private Messages radi0j0hn
kenshelby wrote:John Badner of Whitford Corp., the company that originally designed "Quantanium", has stated that the nonstick coating does contain PTFE. Keep temps below 500 F. and you should be OK.

Check bird fancier sites, as in parrots, etc., and see their warnings about non-stick at high temps and what it does to indoor birds.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 92 Private Messages radi0j0hn

"It seems this Cuisinart is not our mothers' Cuisinart. It was going bankrupt and bought out by Conair a while back!"

So yet another formerly reputable name Hijacked and now used to label lesser quality stuff. RCA, GE, Bell & Howell, Saeco...the list goes on. Amana, Hotpoint, .....

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

whc1999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whc1999

good set for the price, but don't rush or be fooled by the ~$600. is not the market value of this set, it is easy to find this anytime for about 130. do a search for the same set and most sites have it for this price or less.

mm20

quality posts: 33 Private Messages mm20
mm20 wrote:My wife and I bought these when we got married six years ago- we love them. I like the weight distribution especially. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you. We're just now getting around to replacing the 10 inch and 12 inch skillet, because we use them at least once a day, sometimes twice on the weekends. These are pretty solid.

To clarify, since Woot! seems to think I may have similar pots and pans: we have these pans. This exact line. They've only ever been cleaned with a sponge; nothing abrasive has ever been used to clean them. We've never used anything except wood, plastic, or rubber utensils. We do not stack them on top of or in each other. They've never been burned.

As long as you care for them, they're great pans. As I said above, I like the weight distribution, and as a former cook, I'm very particular about how a pan feels in my hands. No, they won't last you forever- no pans will. But with some common sense, they'll last you many years.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
tc1uscg wrote:...however, if you have a issue 2 years from now, woot will say "Cuisinart who?" while SAMS (and costco) will take them back and refund or replace. And yep, I have memberships to both. ;-)

That is very cool for you and that is great. I live 40 miles from the closest Sams and Cosco. They happen to only be about two miles apart. But I have to do the math for me. $3.49 per gallon of gas. Hour and a half round trip. $40 each, a year to belong. Or, I can sit my butt at home and get it here for $5!

You see there is no right or wrong here. It all depends on circumstance. So for you it is great to walk across the street to Sams and doing it often makes the annual fees worth it. For me, the time gas, effort and fees, suck. I love Fedex and UPS when the shipping cost is low. And that does not even equate to the fact that according to my computer, Sams wants $10 more to begin with.

And you say Sams and Costco will take two year old cookware that has been used and cooked with for two years back?? I have to assume you mean and give you a full refund?? If that is true, you are right. I need to drive the miles. Spend the extra bucks and trade in my cookware every two years for new. Now that is a deal! I don't believe it but, it sure sounds good!

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
achituv wrote:Quantanium is basically Teflon, toxic and will wear-out over time.

No worries. PTFE, i.e. Teflon, is inert and non-bioreactive in its solid state. That's why it's used in body transplants and many lab vessels. The molecules are too large to be absorbed. Basically, it goes DIRECTLY to your excrement unaltered -- much like insoluble fiber or many gums. When anti-Teflon paranoia was in full force, I used to have a small bag of Teflon flake in my office (from an old pan). Whenever patients asked me about it, I'd swallow a few flakes to show them how harmless they are.

Teflon in vaporized form can be harmful, but that only occurs above 500F. Even then, only those with respiratory illnesses (and birds) are truly at risk. And as I point out in another post, the smoking point of most cooking oils is way below that (usually below 400F, although a few are mid to high 400F). That's when the oil breaks down and releases toxic fumes. In other words, your everyday cooking oils will release toxic fumes way before the Teflon would. A 1950's study proved this.

Too many people confuse PTFE (Teflon) with PFOA, a chemical used in the MANUFACTURE of Teflon. PFOA is indeed toxic and carcinogenic, but that's only of primary concern to those working in Teflon factories or living in surrounding areas. No modern PTFE/Teflon cookware has any trace of PFOA after leaving the factory. As an analogy, think of all the caustic chemicals used when creating any other cookware. Yet we don't worry about them because they're washed away by the time the cookware gets to your home.

I have yet to find a good peer-reviewed longitudinal epidemiological study showing the harms of Teflon. The logic is simple: if Teflon is toxic, then those who use it should have an increase in morbidity (aka illnesses) and mortality (aka lifespan). No such epidemiological evidence exists. In fact, my guess is that those using non-stick cookware may be healthier since they use less fats for cooking.

Teflon is safe. Period.

sdc100

ssports wrote:Ummm, ok but did you ever think about the great sex Benifits? No k-y needed tonight honey!

Er ... only if you do *n*l sex because Teflon does directly to your feces unabsorbed. Sorry but that Teflon doesn't end up in any other orifice.

Here's "my "serious" post on the topic.

sdc100

nancyjorgensen wrote:Induction cooktops usually need un-clad steel cookware. I have other Cuisinart pots that are aluminum, so if these are aluminum, they won't work.

Sort of true. Virtually all quality cookware will have some aluminum because of its excellent thermal capabilities. To make ANY cookware induction-capable, you simply need to rivet an iron plate to the bottom. That's exactly how many quality induction cookware works. The iron disk gets hot from induction and the heat is then transferred to the rest of the vessel. This can even work with ceramic and glass cookware like those form Corning. It's not as efficient as completely ferric cookware, i.e. cast iron, but it allows any material to be used on an induction cooktop.

If your favorite cookware doesn't have a built in induction disk, you can buy a freestanding one for about $40 on Amazon. Pretty expensive for what is essentially a slab of iron but it'll allow you to use any pot/pan you want.