essay2u

quality posts: 7 Private Messages essay2u

No removable plates?

"Great for pancakes, frittatas, fried eggs, English muffins and more"

So you're saying it kinda works like a pan on my range, only harder to clean?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Please don't waffle on buying this, thinking the new $39.95 model at the big box store is as good. It isn't.

I do work for a place that has a restaurant with a Sunday brunch that tried to go the cheap route and the cheap units did not hold up. Handles broke, switches failed, etc. These hold up better.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Nate650 wrote:This looks tempting. I have a similar model that only makes the waffles but it's a pain in the ass to clean because the plates are not removable. Based on the pictures it looks like the plates are removable in this one.

Update: Ugh, never mind, after studying the photos more closely, one side is for omelets and the other for waffles.

You are not making good batter if you have sticking, or you are not cooking long enough. Gotta have some oil in it. No such thing as "low fat" waffles!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

tra2360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tra2360
cowboyesfan wrote:Perfect for you guys that like the women to spend the entire night.

As if any Wooters have ever actually dated a woman.

hockeytown316

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hockeytown316

75.99 at overstock.com with free shipping

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Waring-Pro-WOM600BKSA-Professional-Belgian-Waffle-Omlet-Maker/7136686/product.html

Daniel MacDonald

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

I always buy stuff like this because the idea of hot waffles in the morning sounds good. When morning comes, I'm always too lazy to actually make them.

tomh922

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomh922

If you don't mind a few extra calories, get out your old copy of the Joy of Cooking. There's a recipe in there for sour creme waffles. Only 1 cup of flour but 2 cups of sour creme. To say they are to die for is superfluous!

Schitty

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Schitty

Now I know why I had a message from Amazon in my email this morning asking me to answer a question about my Waring Waffle/Omlet maker that I bought last year. lol

I'm not much of a cook, but I like to make my family breakfast on Sunday morning. I like omlets, my son likes pancakes, and my husband likes waffles. Its easy to whip up everyone's favorites, sit down and eat together, then wipe the Waring plates down with a soft dry cloth and put it away.

If you follow the instructions that come with it about wiping it down with oil before using it the first time you shouldn't have any issues with sticking. If things start to stick I reapply a thin coat of oil by wiping it on and heating the unit up.

This is a great buy. Wish it would have been around 10 months ago.

jimmymke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmymke

I can't believe I'm typing that.. But, yeah.. Any reasonably healthy waffle type things?

Yes. Get a bag of Bob's Red Mill flax meal, use a third cup of that plus a splash of baking/waffle mix, one or two eggs, splash of milk or half and half, cinnamon. Nice grainy, mealy, hearty, lower-carb, fewer-calorie waffle. Cover with lo-cal or no-cal syrup or just butter. The end.
Jimmy in Milwaukee

willb92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages willb92
MisterRon wrote:Yes, but that's on toasted bread.

ahhh the memories!

cheesefood

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cheesefood

i bought the $40 mono-waffle version from Woot years and years ago. I love waffles and I actually do get excited when the hotel I stay at has free waffles in the continental breakfast. Sometimes when I'm hungry on my way to work I just show up at a hotel that I know has free breakfast and I'll make myself a free waffle then finish my drive to work.

It's a nice unit, but impossible to clean easily. There's nothing that can be detached to rinse off and you don't want to submerge the entire unit.

This thing sucks in a lot of power and has been known to trip my circuit breaker. I have one outlet that it simply doesn't work on.

That said, the mono-waffle unit has worked and made good waffles for years.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

lbloechl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lbloechl

My advice on making waffles, cook until the steam stops coming out, don't go by the automatic lights or bell. We've had a few waffle makers, none worked for my wife, always ended up with sticking, malformed waffles. I stepped in and gave it a try (after Googling for waffle making advice). Fantastic waffles first time. I use a single sided maker from Kohl's, $12.

rldreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams

$69 at Sam's club, we love ours, and they also have the model that make 2 waffles instead of 1 waffle 1 pancake.

[MOD: That's a double waffle maker, no omelet.]

gscavezze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gscavezze

I own the waffle only version of this that I picked up at a local warehouse store for $69.00 and I love it! Good quality and perfect waffles every time!

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

Waffles stick to the plates? You're not using enough oil in your mix. You really shouldn't have to spray the waffle iron ever -- that would just make it sticky and nasty and then you'd have to clean it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey Wooters, I'm glad you're price checking for the best deal, but seriously, look at the model numbers and read the title/descriptions. Many of you are getting them wrong today.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pilotace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pilotace

Seems like a great deal, but it's still EIGHTY dollars to make waffles at home.

vs. a $12 cast iron pan to make pancakes.

I'd love one, but it's hard to justify within a reasonable budget. I'd jump in at $40...

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne

I think the batter makes more differnce than the iron. I am still using an Oster thatcost under twenty bucks 25 years ago, and it doesn't take up all that counter space.

Here's my recipe. They tast so good I often don't put a darn thing on them. Nice and crispy with a creamy center. Using coconut oil really does make them better.

Yeast Raised Waffles
makes about 8 depending on your iron. Easy to cut recipe in half. Mix it up before you go to bed the night before.

In bowl, mix:
1/2 C water
1t sugarv(I use brown)
1 package yeat
After yeast is dissolved, add:
2C milk
1t salt
1/2 C melted coconut oil. Or butter. Trust me, use the coconut oil. Works great and no cholesterol.
2C flour

Cover and let sit at room temp overnight.
In the morning, whisk in two eggs and 1/4t baking soda.

rsperez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsperez

HFS - I want this soooooo bad. But I don't need it. But I want this sooooooooo bad. I really shouldn't. WOOT! CURSE YOU! mmmmmmmmmmm waffles.

Hodakaroadtoad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Hodakaroadtoad

If you're needing the remove the plates to wash them on a waffle maker, you're doing it wrong. Properly done, you simply need to wipe it off when you're finished.

I use one from Villaware that makes three mini-waffles, because that's what my daughter loves best. I have never had it stick and it is easily wiped clean.

woodister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woodister
MisterRon wrote:Plus, there are plenty of options besides using just syrups. Some are: Chicken and waffles, creamed chipped beef on waffles, and waffles with ice cream, to name a few.

I noticed that you didn't mention that you top your waffles with omelets.

anthgothlz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anthgothlz

Wow - this is one of the few things to come up on Woot I can say I actually own... and like.

I have the two-waffle maker. It's a big hit in the house, and when we have guests, they have no idea how easy it is for me to do this, but they think I'm always going to a lot of trouble.

Got it a year ago and have been playing with different waffle mixes and fillings, etc. and I have a good system now. My kid (four) loves waffles and always asks for them now that we have this thing.

Someone else pointed out that it would be easier to be able to remove the griddles to wash them. That's very true. If you use anything in your waffle mix that's going to burn or get really sticky on the irons, it's gonna be a be--atch to clean the things.

And if you use non-stick spray, like the manual asks you to do for easier waffle handling, then that stuff is going to drip down the back and onto the outside of the griddle and eventually just look awful - plus be harder to clean because you can't take the whole thing and give it a good soak to clean it all up.

What I've learned to do with the non-stick spray (not that anyone is asking), is to spray the bottom half before pouring the batter; then spray a little on the top half just a moment before closing it. If you wait too long, you get that runny cooking oil dripping down the back of the griddle and it ends up in the springs and.. it's just gross.

I think we paid this much at BB and B and it's rarely put away in the cabinet. It's usually out on the counter ready to make a big breakfast.

tl;dr - this is a good product and makes good food. Not the easiest to clean, but it's managable and worth the price.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
kwkilcoyne wrote:
2C milk

Cover and let sit at room temp overnight.

I guess this hasn't killed you yet, but leaving this out overnight can't really be a good idea, can it?

Johnnys13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Johnnys13

I'ts a traaaaap!

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/waring-wom600bksa-waffle-omelet-maker?ID=801231&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
chryscrazy wrote:69.99 at macy's

dear lord I can't do math. cents cheaper at macy's with shipping.

I'm not sure that's for the same model (indeed, I'm quite that isn't the same model). This one has TWO cooking chambers, so that you can cook waffles in parallel. I have the step-down version with just one cooking chamber and lets you cook waffles in series.

Let me start by saying I love my waffle maker - really even cooking so that even the first waffle is edible (ie, no need to have a sacrificial "adjustment" waffle). Each waffle takes 2-3 minutes to cook in my version, which means if you're cooking for more than 3 people and want them all to eat at roughly the same time, this model is probably the one to get.

biodello

quality posts: 1 Private Messages biodello
Kankennon wrote:Yeah, but does it make Waffelets or Omffles? That's what's most important.

I think it's a pancake, waffle, omlet or wamlet/omffles maker.

howy61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages howy61
Johnnys13 wrote:I'ts a traaaaap!

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/waring-wom600bksa-waffle-omelet-maker?ID=801231&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Well not exactly. the WOM600BKSA at Macy's and Overstock appears to be the old model. you can not even find it on the Warning site and Macy's clearly states it is a close out.

There doesn't seem to be a functional difference.

The trap if there is one is the MSRP listed. The Warning site has $129.99 so maybe that was the original MSRP but is not what they are selling for.

It is interesting that WOOT, Macy's and Overstock are all using the same picture but the model numbers are different.

Overstock is approx $76 Free shipping.
Macy's is 70 + 10 shipping = $80
Woot is the $80 + 5 shipping but its the current model.

pantardovski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantardovski
StanleyS wrote:I guess this hasn't killed you yet, but leaving this out overnight can't really be a good idea, can it?

Why not? Refrigerators have only been around for so long. At the worst the milk sours i.e. takes the first step to becoming yogurt, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just overnight though there's little chance you'd notice anything different (unless it's mid-summer and/or you're using raw milk).

howy61

Nate650 wrote:This looks tempting. I have a similar model that only makes the waffles but it's a pain in the ass to clean because the plates are not removable. Based on the pictures it looks like the plates are removable in this one.

Update: Ugh, never mind, after studying the photos more closely, one side is for omelets and the other for waffles.

even if it was a double waffle maker, the plates are not removable to clean.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

I really want a good waffle maker, but I like my omelets thin with filling, not huge fluffy , souffle types. So it's a pass until I can just get the waffle maker. To me the best omelet is one you make in a pan

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

Svullie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Svullie

For $29.99 Hamilton Beach sells a Breakfast Sandwich Maker. I don't know that I'd need waffles as often as I could use a breakfast sandwich. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKVc-y3Uak&feature=youtu.be

acanarelli

quality posts: 227 Private Messages acanarelli

We bought a similar machine (looks exactly like this one) about 2 years ago. Prior to that, I found that we were eating a lot of store bought frozen waffes, as using them was so convenient...and expensive! After owning the waffle maker a while, we decided to make a batch of waffles every two weeks or so and freeze them. Much better than paying about $2.99 for a box of 8 small waffles...and they taste better.

jfeise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfeise
ckeilah wrote:
Remember though, Waring is owned by CONair, which has proven time and again to live down to its name "con", and leave the sucker holding a dud product with no customer service.

Actually, they CAN do customer service if they want (and get pushed to...)
Way back when I got my waffle maker (my second-ever buy from Woot, btw.), it was a refurb. Lots of them were broken, and everybody who had a broken one got a new one as replacement in the end.
http://sellout.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3422145

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Checked with our buyer. The ones that have been linked at other sites are older models with black plastic detail. (Macy's has the wrong image for that model number.)

The one we are selling is the new stainless steel model.

Be sure you're comparing like product.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

howy61

ThunderThighs wrote:Checked with our buyer. The ones that have been linked at other sites are older models with black plastic detail. (Macy's has the wrong image for that model number.)

The one we are selling is the new stainless steel model.

Be sure you're comparing like product.

So is actually SS or just SS colored?

I just figured out the difference in colors too, but since the same orange is in both pictures one of them has been photo shopped.

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=Belgian+Waffle+Maker&SearchType=Header

res149

quality posts: 1 Private Messages res149

I have the same waffle/omelet maker for three months and we are very happy with our purchase. It warms up very quickly and I love the two sides.

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Not a massive deal but I own one from a local Kohl's and spent $90 plus tax. It makes massive Belgian waffles that taste great and it really only takes like 6 or 7 minutes total including warm-up time to make 2 waffles. One waffle with some bacon is enough to fill up a hungry human being that likes breakfast, in my opinion that is. The waffle maker is also really easy to clean, we just wipe it with a wet cloth after we use it. Those that say they can't clean it have probably never owned a waffle maker before or don't realize that a non-stick surface like this doesn't need to be scrubbed till it turns copper.

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650
radi0j0hn wrote:You are not making good batter if you have sticking, or you are not cooking long enough. Gotta have some oil in it. No such thing as "low fat" waffles!

I'm actually not a fan of low fat anything and follow traditional recipes. I didn't get any sticking but it would just be easier if the plates were removable so they can be submerged in some soap and water.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

That's a lot of money for a waffle iron. And don't we already all have "omelette makers", i.e. frying pans?

swiftytoenails

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swiftytoenails

I have the double waffle only version and it is fantastic. Easy to clean and makes wonderful crisp waffles quickly and efficiently. Highly recommended.