Phenomenon101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phenomenon101
Woody1 wrote:Explain to me why I need this?

I hate TWC and spending $18/mo on their HD DVR but if it dies a free replacement is a phone call.

For this, I need to still rent a cable card at $5/mo, pay at least $155 up front and a minimum of $15/mo to make it work. If it dies I own an expensive brick.

How is this cheaper? Isn't there a way to make old PS2's and Myth TV happen for a lot less?

I have to agree. Your options are to either buy and get the lifetime subs which comes out to 600-700 or get it for 150 and pay about 20 per month to use for cable.

For 600-700 you can buy a decent HTPC with cable card capabilities that can do way more than a tivo. At most you're stuck with a 5 dollar subscription fee for the cable card. You could do all this and buy an extender for an extra tv. Tivo has no competition and appeals to those who cant/wont build/understand a pc. Not worth it whatsoever IMO.

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob
heyitspeej wrote:Has anyone ever had luck with TiVo transferring a lifetime sub or offering a larger discount? I currently have a TiVo series 2 made by humax with a lifetime sub collecting dust.

I'm on the ... boat right next to yours ... same exact circumstances but with a Pioneer.

what, Me, sig?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

obob wrote:I'm on the ... boat right next to yours ... same exact circumstances but with a Pioneer.

Hi obob!
Long time no see.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
dontwantaname wrote:Hi obob!
Long time no see.

@dontwantaname, OK, I'll bite - what's a "Volunteer Moderator"?

Is it your age in woot years that gets you this duty/responsibility?

Do you step in when the professional woot police want/need to take a holiday?

Do you get woots at half off on the days you're on duty?

5h1th34d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 5h1th34d

Avoid the subscription and build yourself a cheap Win7 box if all you want is clear QAM and/or OTA ATSC. Free listings and the sky's the limit as far as storage depending on what size disk you install on your budget box. I've done this for years now using a HD Homerun tuner on my network and am fine with it except for the lack of ESPN.

Add a USB dongled Media Center remote and a Logitech Harmony and it's 100% couch compatible.

wdstancil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdstancil

Antenna or analog cable only - no cable card support, so can't use with digital cable w/o adding a cable box to decode to line inputs.

Standard definition (480i), not HD.

Cheaper to buy a dual-tuner Series 3 Tivo w/ lifetime off ebay.

spummerr wrote:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259

No monthly fee. They have models for $238 to

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
wdstancil wrote:Antenna or analog cable only - no cable card support, so can't use with digital cable w/o adding a cable box to decode to line inputs.

Standard definition (480i), not HD.

Cheaper to buy a dual-tuner Series 3 Tivo w/ lifetime off ebay.

@wdstancil, Good luck with 5+ year old used eBay equipment - a crap shoot whether it will last another 6 months. And those don't have DVD burners either like the Magnavox.

The Magnavox is an excellent alternative for an over the air simple DVR. You can transfer your old video camera stuff to DVD using it as well. (No messing around with flaky PC solutions for the transfers.)

Note that Cable & Satellite HD is more compressed and lossy than over the air HD, so even tho you think you're getting HD, it isn't as dramatically better vs. HD over the air recorded as SD as you might think.

Jshuntr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jshuntr
5h1th34d wrote:Avoid the subscription and build yourself a cheap Win7 box if all you want is clear QAM and/or OTA ATSC. Free listings and the sky's the limit as far as storage depending on what size disk you install on your budget box. I've done this for years now using a HD Homerun tuner on my network and am fine with it except for the lack of ESPN.

Add a USB dongled Media Center remote and a Logitech Harmony and it's 100% couch compatible.

Have a similar setup in my media room, but I keep my HTPC in the closet and use the XBOX interface, but opted to retire that system and go with TiVo upstairs (already running a two tuner premier downstairs) as I don't care for the occasional lag, the occasion audio mis sync and running an HTPC 24/7 (takes quite a bit more juice than a set top box).

So, as a response to an earlier poster ... I'm quite capable of building an HTPC, but I'm opting into this for convenience.

One size does not fit all.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Woot, enough of this, lets move on to the woot.

IronChefChin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IronChefChin

The add said existing customers can get lifetime at 399, when I called they said 500! Or monthly. The only reason I bought it was for the lifetime 399 deal, what say you wooT?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

IronChefChin wrote:The add said existing customers can get lifetime at 399, when I called they said 500! Or monthly. The only reason I bought it was for the lifetime 399 deal, what say you wooT?

If you're experiencing issues getting the lifetime subscription, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to help answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Jshuntr

Got the TiVo, but not the stream....separate shipping perhaps?

ROGETRAY

Staff

Jshuntr wrote:Got the TiVo, but not the stream....separate shipping perhaps?

Yeah it appears that these might have been shipped in separate shipments. If you don't see any activity or delivery soon, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they can help you out.

IronChefChin

ROGETRAY wrote:If you're experiencing issues getting the lifetime subscription, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to help answer any questions or concerns you might have.

I did and I am still waiting for a response......

Jshuntr

IronChefChin wrote:I did and I am still waiting for a response......

I'm an existing customer, I logged in via the tivo site, went to Activate a new tivo device ( https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/mma-activate/activateservice.do ), entered the 15 digit serial number and was immediately greeted w/ the "You qualify for 399!" message. May be worth a shot bypassing humans on this one.

IronChefChin

Jshuntr wrote:I'm an existing customer, I logged in via the tivo site, went to Activate a new tivo device ( https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/mma-activate/activateservice.do ), entered the 15 digit serial number and was immediately greeted w/ the "You qualify for 399!" message. May be worth a shot bypassing humans on this one.

I am existing customer too, just tried and it came up 499, ugghh

How long till a Tivo rep responds? Thanks

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

We've contacted our direct TiVo rep and it's still $399 for existing customers. I would suggest doing it the way Jshuntr did above. If that doesn't work, TiVo customer support.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

keleko17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keleko17

Like an badger badger badger I jumped at this deal. I didn't do adequate research. TiVo's site said the Premiere was compatible. I didn't realize the Premiere and Premiere 4 were different. I bought the wrong box. I wanted one that was compatible with over the air broadcast.

Any chance I can return my product? Does that make it defective?

Or any other member out there want to buy mine? (If this is against policy I apologize in advance.)

ROGETRAY

Staff

keleko17 wrote:Like an badger badger badger I jumped at this deal. I didn't do adequate research. TiVo's site said the Premiere was compatible. I didn't realize the Premiere and Premiere 4 were different. I bought the wrong box. I wanted one that was compatible with over the air broadcast.

Any chance I can return my product? Does that make it defective?

Or any other member out there want to buy mine? (If this is against policy I apologize in advance.)

I'm not sure if that qualifies as defective, but you should be able to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be able to answer any questions you have about your purchase.