vervectic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vervectic

Anyone know if there would be any problem running wireless speakers through the Zone 2 output? I'm hoping to use that for speakers on our front porch/deck without running cables all over the house.
Also, any MAC compatibility issues anyone has run into?

altoidbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages altoidbox
chambers126 wrote:The sound quality is excellent, but the system must be cranked before you get any sound ... I'm talking 50+% on the volume before there is a peep. It's likely going back to Amazon.

Interesting. I bought this last time it was on woot! and mine seems to be very loud compared to my previous Onkyo (different model). The old one I regularly had in the 50-65 range, this one I normally have in the 10-25 range with the same volume.

Dontbemadbrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dontbemadbrad

Hello,

Does anyone know if I will need a separate amp to run my zone 2 speakers? If my second zone is on my porch, do I need some sort of amp to power that second set of speakers. Also what happens if I want all my music blasting in both zones, is that possible?

snorklesex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snorklesex
dirk1965 wrote:Uhmmm... probably because it's 80's technology?

But it has a tonne of composite inputs and output, which is 50s technology. And comparing the two, s-video is superior quality given a quality source.

davearnold731 wrote:To the guy who cannot find any receiver with an S-video connection. Ummm. Because S-video is obsolete and has a horrible video display. Upgrade and destroy whatever old piece of crap still only has an S-video connection. The last car you bought, tell me did it come with a hand crank to start the engine?

It was more of a rhetorical question, but since you obviously have some modicum of smarts about you, I'll confess that what equipment I'm using is none of your business in regards to the question I asked. That aside, I am using some older video game consoles and computers which are not digital-capable, as well as a selection of digital-capable devices. When confronted with what appears to be an otherwise good device which has analogue inputs, I question why it would have composite rather than a better analogue technology.

No, the last car I bought did not come with a hand crank, but it did come with a six disc in-dash CD changer and no sign of a smart guy like you to warn me away. I really wish you'd been around. I've been living a droll and disappointing life with my hobbies and now realize I should just chuck everything and become a shiney device whore. I hope when I finally make this transition, you will make yourself available as a guide and, dare I say, mentor.

harmfuljays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmfuljays

I just read through all of the posts from the July Woot sale. Yikes. Would love to see comments from previous Woot purchasers concerning this receiver and the problems detailed. The only post I saw was it works for 15 minutes and then doesn't.

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911
Dontbemadbrad wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know if I will need a separate amp to run my zone 2 speakers? If my second zone is on my porch, do I need some sort of amp to power that second set of speakers. Also what happens if I want all my music blasting in both zones, is that possible?

vervectic wrote:Anyone know if there would be any problem running wireless speakers through the Zone 2 output? I'm hoping to use that for speakers on our front porch/deck without running cables all over the house.
Also, any MAC compatibility issues anyone has run into?

From the features: "The HT-RC560 features Powered Zone 2 banana-plug speaker terminals and Zone 2 line-outs."

This means that you can either use the amp to power zone2 (banana plugs) or us the line outs to feed your wireless speaker transmitter.

Maybe they're both live and you can do both? That would add sort of a zone 2 1/2 if you had some amplified speakers.

The idea of a zone 2 is so you can play a different (analog) source in the 2nd zone. So if someone's watching TV on zone 1 inside you can be listening to something totally different on the zone2 patio.

That doesn't mean you can't play the same thing in both zones. In fact, if this is anything like my Onkyo, you can set the Z2 source to "source". This means it'll play exactly what's going through Z1 automatically.

jacrag51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacrag51
ManiacDan wrote:My first Onkyo needed to be unplugged weekly to stop it from buzzing (aka "the hum," a constant plague on all Onkyo products)

I just got mine from Woot last week and after setup was disappointed to discover there was a constant buzz. Switched to an unused input to eliminate cabling, but it was still there. Before calling Onkyo, I wanted to be sure it wasn't my problem so I unplugged the power cord for every device in my system except the Onkyo. Surprise! No buzz. So I systematically plugged in and tested each device. At some point, the buzz finally returned. It turned out that the device I had plugged in also powered my wireless sub-woofer transmitter via its USB port. I unplugged the transmitter and the buzz went away! I moved the transmitter's USB to another device and still got the buzz. Finally, plugged the USB directly into an AC wall adapter and viola! no more buzz. So, if you get a buzz, it's worth the time to make sure you're not creating it.

As for the Receiver itself, I'm very happy with my purchase. It does run a bit hot (best to keep it on a well ventilated shelf, not in an enclosed cabinet). The unit is feature rich and sounds great, so I feel its an excellent buy for the price.

flatlandr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages flatlandr

I have read somewhat on this and need a new amp. What is stopping me is that I'm worried about the HDMI board issues that seems to plague Onkyo. What say you if you own one?

mr

flatlandr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages flatlandr

I have a great collection of unused S-video cables

davearnold731 wrote:To the guy who cannot find any receiver with an S-video connection. Ummm. Because S-video is obsolete and has a horrible video display. Upgrade and destroy whatever old piece of crap still only has an S-video connection. The last car you bought, tell me did it come with a hand crank to start the engine?

mr

upandadam83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages upandadam83

that these thigns arent built like they used to be. I have an onkyo reciever i bought in 2004 that still runs like a dream.. granted no hdmi but zero issues and it suffered through moves through my fraternity to an apartment and back, shipping to texas and then to chicago, etc.

onkyousa

quality posts: 31 Private Messages onkyousa
mattmatics11 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to use the component video inputs in conjunction with the optical audio input? I have an older xbox 360, with no hdmi, so I'd like to be able to use its existing component cables for video, but also be able to use an optical audio cable for full surround sound. I see that the component is supposedly "assignable," but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Thanks!

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept. for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

@snorklesex, nice troll-spank. :-)

snorklesex wrote:. . .

No, the last car I bought did not come with a hand crank, but it did come with a six disc in-dash CD changer and no sign of a smart guy like you to warn me away. I really wish you'd been around. I've been living a droll and disappointing life with my hobbies and now realize I should just chuck everything and become a shiney device whore. I hope when I finally make this transition, you will make yourself available as a guide and, dare I say, mentor.

onkyousa

flatlandr wrote:I have read somewhat on this and need a new amp. What is stopping me is that I'm worried about the HDMI board issues that seems to plague Onkyo. What say you if you own one?

Hello flatlandr;

What many customers are confusing is the fact that many issues usually involve a processor board (either video or digital audio) that requires further evaluation and possible servicing. As HDMI is still a new and advancing technology; we like other manufacturers are proactively assisting our customers experiencing issues. We have many customers not experiencing ANY issues and those who are or act pre-emptively to ensure no issues affects their receivers.

bluemaple

onkyousa wrote:Hello flatlandr;

What many customers are confusing is the fact that many issues usually involve a processor board (either video or digital audio) that requires further evaluation and possible servicing. As HDMI is still a new and advancing technology; we like other manufacturers are proactively assisting our customers experiencing issues. We have many customers not experiencing ANY issues and those who are or act pre-emptively to ensure no issues affects their receivers.

@onkyousa, thanks for chiming in.

But HMDI was designed in 2002. 10+ years is not new in the electronics (actually, now computer as well) industry. 10 years is an eternity. And virtually all technology "advances" - or it dies.

Blaming customers for using the incorrect diagnosis names is missing the point. "HDMI board" or "processor board" matters not to the customer with a wonky receiver function that manifests itself via the HDMI connection.

onkyousa

Dontbemadbrad wrote:Hello,

Hello Dontbemadbro;

If you are seeking to use more than a pair of speakers for ZONE 2; you will need to utilize an external amplifier. If you are only using a pair of speakers for ZONE 2- you can use the ZONE 2 speaker terminals and enable POWERED ZONE 2 on the receiver by selecting in the SPEAKER SETTINGS submenu of the receiver.

NOTE: ZONE 2 is an ANALOG only source- With all of our products that have a Zone 2 or more features they use only analog connections (RED &WHITE) so you need to hook up an analog connection from the source into the back of the receiver into the input that you are using. The digital connection will remain in the main room and the analog will be redirected to Zone2 or the other Zone outputs. So basically- any input connected to the receiver already using HDMI will also need a RCA Composite audio (red and white) cables into the SAME input (i.e HDMI> CBL/ SAT and RCA AUDIO cables> CBL/SAT). Now when you press the specific input for ZONE 2- the analog audio source will broadcast the audio and the digital audio will be broadcasted into the main room.

So you can play the SAME audio source thru the MAIN and ZONE 2 listening areas OR separate audio sources between the MAIN and ZONE 2 listening areas.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

onkyousa

bluemaple wrote:@onkyousa, thanks for chiming in.

But HMDI was designed in 2002. 10+ years is not new in the electronics (actually, now computer as well) industry. 10 years is an eternity. And virtually all technology "advances" - or it dies.

Blaming customers for using the incorrect diagnosis names is missing the point. "HDMI board" or "processor board" matters not to the customer with a wonky receiver function that manifests itself via the HDMI connection.

Correct HDMI has modified in ten years from HDMI v 1.1 to the current 1.4 and future 2.0. As these changes are integrated into the market; we, like other AV and PC manufacturers are noticing similar issues and addressing them as well as assisting our customers. We would love to further educate you this issue- please email us at onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com; as we like to inform our customers and followers with concise and factual information. We wouldn't like to foster inaccurate data and educate customers like yourself.

tp546

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp546

I am considering buying this to replace my current receiver but I'm a little unclear on the differences between 2 zones and A&B speakers. My current receiver has both and I use the B speakers in another room and switch them on when necessary - would I be able to replicate that setup with this receiver even if most of the time the source is HDMI? If so, how could I do that? Any help is appreciated.

@onkyousa - can you help?

darkchylde13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkchylde13
snorklesex wrote:It was more of a rhetorical question, but since you obviously have some modicum of smarts about you, I'll confess that what equipment I'm using is none of your business in regards to the question I asked. That aside, I am using some older video game consoles and computers which are not digital-capable, as well as a selection of digital-capable devices. When confronted with what appears to be an otherwise good device which has analogue inputs, I question why it would have composite rather than a better analogue technology.

lol
Anyway maybe I'll get grief for this too, but I agree with you on this one, why include so many composite connections and not even one s-video...? As awful as everyone says s-video is, I doubt you will find anyone claiming composite is better...so...???

bluemaple

onkyousa wrote:Correct HDMI has modified in ten years from HDMI v 1.1 to the current 1.4 and future 2.0. As these changes are integrated into the market; we, like other AV and PC manufacturers are noticing similar issues and addressing them as well as assisting our customers. We would love to further educate you this issue- please email us at onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com; as we like to inform our customers and followers with concise and factual information. We wouldn't like to foster inaccurate data and educate customers like yourself.

@onkyousa, thanks, but 'not looking for an HDMI education (BTW, 1.4 has been out since 2009 and 2.0 was just released this month) - 'just want it to work and was about to pull the trigger on this impressively feature-loaded $300 Onkyo (bypassing my distaste for external accessory phono preamps) until I was reminded by @lichme of the July comments.

I have nothing in principle against Onkyo - 'have had good luck with it going back to the mid-'80's! I much prefer it to the over-rated Sony equipment. (I have an older ES model but am no longer willing to dish out those kinds of funds.)

What would be amazingly helpful - if you could credibly and officially assure us the complaint/return/failure rate on this model is trivial - like less than 1%.

wapped

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wapped
tp546 wrote:I am considering buying this to replace my current receiver but I'm a little unclear on the differences between 2 zones and A&B speakers. My current receiver has both and I use the B speakers in another room and switch them on when necessary - would I be able to replicate that setup with this receiver even if most of the time the source is HDMI? If so, how could I do that? Any help is appreciated.

@onkyousa - can you help?

A and B speakers are on zone 1. They will play the same audio from the same source.

With a 2 zone receiver you can have different sources play at the same time on different speakers.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

I've had a TX-NR515 for seven months and have not had a problem. I paid $40 less than this, but this is a better receiver. Unless I'm misreading the specs, I would rather have this one because it has

MultiEQ instead of 2EQ
Phono preamp

It also has Bluetooth, which mine doesn't, but I don't care about this.

I would absolutely buy this one of I hadn't bought a new receiver earlier this year.

maresi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maresi

[quote postid="5558996" user="ecsales"]ONKYO Rocks(for the price). I have friends still rocking to some old ass Onkyos. My 6yrs old HT-R520 that I got for like $499 w/5 speakers and a separate sub is going strong.

My 40+ year old Onkyo TX-4500 quartz receiver is still going strong, never had a problem with it!

dhectorg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhectorg
ecsales wrote:ONKYO Rocks(for the price). I have friends still rocking to some old ass Onkyos. My 6yrs old HT-R520 that I got for like $499 w/5 speakers and a separate sub is going strong.

Main complaint with mine is how hot it runs.

Is heat still a problem?

heat is ALWAYS a problem for electronics. My Denon runs fairly cool (I hate everything else about it), but I still have a small fan pointed at it. Having worked with PCs for years, I can say with certainty that heat is the sworn enemy of electronics and will shorten their lifespan.

tp546

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp546
wapped wrote:A and B speakers are on zone 1. They will play the same audio from the same source.

With a 2 zone receiver you can have different sources play at the same time on different speakers.

This doesn't have A/B speakers though does it?

mcauliffetj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcauliffetj

I have the onkyo txsr606 that i got in 2007 or so, the hdmi board died twice under warranty and has since died again now that the warranty expired. I would heavily advise against onkyo as the experience has been quite painful for me. The receiver still works but the hdmi issues mean you basically just have an audio receiver not audio/visual.