gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
wdsims63 wrote:I know this sounds like a logical statement, and it seems to make sense, but it is not necessarily true. The power usage rating says nothing about the efficiency of the heating elements.
A hair dryer is very inefficient and uses simple resistance heating. Infrared and ceramic heaters use different technology and get much better efficiency.

What your saying sounds good- but I'm confused. What happens to that energy? If you are using 1500 watts of power (to make it easy we won't count the fan consumption - plus it's fairly negligible anyway), if it doesn't become heat- what happens to it? That energy needs to be accounted for.

rpstrong

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rpstrong
gak0090 wrote:What your saying sounds good- but I'm confused. What happens to that energy? If you are using 1500 watts of power (to make it easy we won't count the fan consumption - plus it's fairly negligible anyway), if it doesn't become heat- what happens to it? That energy needs to be accounted for.

There is no need to leave the fan out - it is also producing heat, as is the power cord running to the outlet.

dgryczuk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgryczuk
heliwife wrote:I bought this exact one on Shop HQ in November for 189.00, and we love it.
We have an open concept home with one large room for the kitchen, living room and dining room separated by furniture arrangements. We have this fireplace in the living room area, and it really heats up our sitting area to the point where we actually have to turn it off after a few hours. In our set up it takes about 1/2 hr before we notice a difference in temperature.

We did learn that our electric bill went up significantly the first month because we kept it on all the time cause we liked how cozy it was. After that we got smart and now only use it while we are sitting and watching TV in the evenings, which only adds about $10-$15 a month.

There is a fan noise but it does not interfere with watching TV or anything, it's not any louder than having a fan on in the room.

Thanks - I was wondering what it does to an electric bill.

rainwork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rainwork

Does this raise the electric bill much? Anyone already have one?

ptflynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptflynn

I have a non-working fireplace. Can I just slide this into the space (obviously if the measurements allow)? How long is the power cord? Thanks in advance.

emlyn65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emlyn65

do the wheels retract?

DeliriumTremens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeliriumTremens

I own this exact unit. I paid a tiny bit more for it on another site a couple of months ago. I really like it.

It's small, yes. But, I have a small house and it fits perfectly well right where I needed it to go in my den. I live in the snowy northeast, and this cannot be my only source of heat. But that was never my intention. I keep my thermostat at 62 degrees in the winter. This little unit takes the edge off the chill in the den and it gives a pleasant ambiance to the room. Is it realistic? No, not really. But, it doesn't look tacky either.

In all, I'm quite happy with this purchase.

109 woots and counting...

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
rainwork wrote:Does this raise the electric bill much? Anyone already have one?

Yes it does. In most areas the rate per KWH increases with larger usage. So looking at your current bill and dividing KWH by cost won't work. You need to know the highest rate they charge as that is what you will be paying.

On the other hand a gas heater will cost $3000 to $5000 installed assuming it can be done.

Depending on your wiring electric heaters might not wrk. For example if the circuit you are using is also connected to the washing machine. Loose wiring at the connectors inside the walls can heat up and fail. The contact at the receptacle and the plug should be very tight.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

emlyn65 wrote:do the wheels retract?

Just happened to walk by as they were pulling the sample out of the box. The wheels come attached and are not retractable. I didn't find them to be as noticeable as our picture leads you to believe though.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ptflynn wrote:I have a non-working fireplace. Can I just slide this into the space (obviously if the measurements allow)? How long is the power cord? Thanks in advance.

Instructions say to keep the area around the heater free from clutter and stuff to allow good airflow.

Cord looked to be about 6' long. They already had it plugged it and the cord was under a desk.

Looked pretty though.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mattygabe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattygabe
tetsu0sh0 wrote:Infrared heaters do not act the same as conventional 'convection' heaters.
Infrared energy is only absorbed by organic material. This heater radiates energy outwards and your body will absorb it. You will be able to feel the heat from much farther away - that's why they're saying it can heat up to 1,500sqft.

In essence - It heats surfaces and not air.

Regular fire warms by convection, this guy does not.

Not quite. This is some marketing catching you off guard. This heater does indeed use an infrared bulb, however it still uses convection - the bulb (or bulbs depending on the design) heats several copper plates, and a fan circulates air from behind the unit through those copper plates, transfer of heat goes with the air and into the room.

born40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages born40
dliidlii1 wrote:Forget the hair fryer. A $25 heater from Wal-Mart will work as well as this $150 option but if you like the look and have the cash it's your call.

Just my opinion here. I've been using two Lifesmart box heaters to heat my entire house. (long story, and high electric bill) My bill though is lower than when I used those $25-49 heaters, and my nose is not as dry. Haven't used the humidifier this year with these heaters. Best thing about the Lifesmart IR heaters is the thermostatic control. They do shut off when the desired temp is reached, and then turn back on when it gets below the temp. Find this really helpful for heating my space.

cindytait

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cindytait

I think this is the one made by the Amish people......they are the #1 largest group of people running the disgusting "puppy mills" in Lancaster,Pennsylvania. Please check out the source before you buy this as I'm not certain and don't want to harm any legit. business.....

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk
Exit82 wrote:can you tell me how loud it is with the fan on?

It isn't loud at all. Very soft and easy on the ears.

miniskunk

Woothead05 wrote:Yes, 1500 watts is all a room heater can provide from a wall outlet . . . safely. Doubtful it will heat 1,800 sq. feet unless the room is only 26" high. . big enough to get the fireplace in.
Maybe it's for use in "Wonderland" when Alice is small!
I would pay $49 tops just as a nice looking room heater.

Considering this is an all wood product (not particle board), even if the electrics fail as they will eventually do, this is not something you would toss out. Some simple wood work would repurpose it nicely as something like a stand with shelves. It is worth far more than $49. $149 is a steal for the quality of this product's design. I paid $200 for mine and most places charge more than that.

miniskunk

tetsu0sh0 wrote:Infrared heaters do not act the same as conventional 'convection' heaters.
Infrared energy is only absorbed by organic material. This heater radiates energy outwards and your body will absorb it. You will be able to feel the heat from much farther away - that's why they're saying it can heat up to 1,500sqft.

In essence - It heats surfaces and not air.

Regular fire warms by convection, this guy does not.

It does both. Heats nearby surfaces and expels hot air. 6 feet away I can just feel the radiative heat, plus a soft warm breeze.

miniskunk

terryharris wrote:I have one of these. They sell them around here from a company they cal Heat Surge. The Amish are the people that make the wooden part of,the unit. Mine does not have the wood fireplace. This,is a good,price as,they sell these for,around 350 to,400 bucks. The biggest draw back is the cost to run it. It will cost you plenty to run it more than a couple of hours a day. It added 50 dollars to my electric bill and I only used it about 25 hours.

Lifesmart is a different company than Heat Surge, but has a similar design. Lifesmart isn't ripping the consumer off by charging a lot more for an inferior cabinet. You should see the complaints about the so called Amish made heaters from Heat Surge. It was being reported that they were made of particle board and easily damaged.

miniskunk

rainwork wrote:Does this raise the electric bill much? Anyone already have one?

It doesn't raise the bill much in fact, when used properly, it will reduce it. Best way to use it is not as a standalone heating solution but as a supplement to furnace heat in the most lived in areas. You can keep the rest of the house cooler and only heat the areas you need it in most. This is where the savings come in.

miniskunk

ptflynn wrote:I have a non-working fireplace. Can I just slide this into the space (obviously if the measurements allow)? How long is the power cord? Thanks in advance.

You can as long as you have sufficient air space behind it. Keep in mind it will be pulling air from the back so you might not get the best air circulation if you do this and the thermostat will not be measuring room temperature accurately. There do exist units designed as a fireplace insert that pull the air from the front instead of the back. The power cord is 6 feet long. If you need to extend it, don't use a cheap extension cord that uses twisted copper strands. This will cause overheating and a fire hazard. Even those common orange ones construction crews use are not good enough. Use a quality solid copper wire commercial grade cord. You can tell if it is solid because the cord will be stiff when you try to bend it.

miniskunk

emlyn65 wrote:do the wheels retract?

They do not, but you can unscrew them from the base if you don't want them.

lewie2s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lewie2s

What about the picture? Is that a picture of a fire with a flickering light behind it, or an LCD screen showing a video of a fire?

dliidlii1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dliidlii1
born40 wrote:Just my opinion here. I've been using two Lifesmart box heaters to heat my entire house. (long story, and high electric bill) My bill though is lower than when I used those $25-49 heaters, and my nose is not as dry. Haven't used the humidifier this year with these heaters. Best thing about the Lifesmart IR heaters is the thermostatic control. They do shut off when the desired temp is reached, and then turn back on when it gets below the temp. Find this really helpful for heating my space.

Science says your experience doesn't add up. 1500 watts produces the exact same amount of heat and both heaters would cost the same to operate if used equally.

miniskunk

lewie2s wrote:What about the picture? Is that a picture of a fire with a flickering light behind it, or an LCD screen showing a video of a fire?

It has two 40 watt bulbs inside reflecting off of feathered mylar onto a an opaque back screen rotating on a rod to creating the climbing flame effect. The logs glow without flickering.

miniskunk

I should have done this last night. I have uploaded a video of the heater in action to youtube. The brightness is slightly exaggerated by the camera. The space above the flames is darker than it appears in the video. Enjoy.....

[MOD: embedded video]

miniskunk

Woot.....if you ever put this item up again for sale, you have my permission to use the video.

rc56woot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rc56woot

this is my second purchase of an Infrafed Fireplace Heater. the one I currently have is able to heat 1000sq ft My husband and I are both happy with it. and love the flame which looks realistic. I have not received this one yet but if it functions as well as this one I will be happy.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

I hope the incandescent 40w bulbs can be replaced when they burn out. How are the logs illuminated, LED?

psu1989

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psu1989

Can't wait to get mine. FedEx tracking is killing me. It started off in Wichita KS, now it is in CA and the destination is CT?!?!

psu1989

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psu1989
danwat1234 wrote:I hope the incandescent 40w bulbs can be replaced when they burn out. How are the logs illuminated, LED?

Is is infrared not incandescent

saorange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saorange

Just got it. Plugged it in and did not work. Troubleshooted per instructions still np luck. Called manufacture and tech line hung up without taking a message. Will call tomorrow

heredavid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heredavid

Order Number: 4788**** Lifesmart Infrared Fireplace 1,800 sq ft Heater

I just received it and It only works on a low (1000) vs the high (1500) watts output. It is very loud which I assume is normal as it is for heating 1800 sq ft, otherwise that also would be an issue.

Four days with no reply from Woot, very unhappy!

[MOD EDIT: Removed order number;privacy]

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

heredavid wrote:Order Number: 4788**** Lifesmart Infrared Fireplace 1,800 sq ft Heater

I just received it and It only works on a low (1000) vs the high (1500) watts output. It is very loud which I assume is normal as it is for heating 1800 sq ft, otherwise that also would be an issue.

Four days with no reply from Woot, very unhappy!

[MOD EDIT: Removed order number;privacy]

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from your email inquiry.

I've gone ahead and forwarded your inquiry along to Woot Member Services.

Thank you for your continued patience while they attend to the issue.