leoharper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages leoharper

I've had the same experiences with leaking Rayovac batteries in the past & stopped purchasing Rayovac for that very reason. (Not to mention you can get Rayovac for cheaper than this in stores, and I look to Woot for deals stronger than everyday store prices). I became a fan of the Kodaks on Woot a year or 2 ago, and more recently, fell in love with the Sony Woot offered a few times. I've posted this here before, but here's my take again: #1 SONY has been strongest performer & longest laster in all our devices (Toys, remotes, even dig. cameras, etc.) #2 Kodak MAX has performed 2nd best. #3 Kodak Xtralife didn't last quite as long as either of those...but the price was good & we haven't noticed any leaking issues with any of the Sony or Kodaks.

TeamRayovac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TeamRayovac
toddcleaver wrote:I have 3 packs of 12 D size Rayovac batteries all with different dates several years into the future. They are all leaking milky white fluid. They have been stored in a climate controlled environment since they were purchased. I did contact customer service and was told to ship them back at my expense with the receipt. Well just how many folks save their receipts for a purchase like batteries? I was first only disappointed in the batteries but mistakes do happen it was the customer service policy of requiring a receipt and paying for shipping that really turned me against Rayovac. To me the guarantee that Dave is referring people to was useless. If you plan to buy bulk batteries and store them for any period of time do some research before you buy Rayovac.

Hi Todd,
If you still have the batteries, please call our consumer services department and they will be able to work with you if you do not have the receipt: 1-800-237-7000
Thanks.

mrfishwhiskers

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mrfishwhiskers

Perfect to power all those device that go bump in the night.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Uh, hypothetically, if Rayovac batteries leaked and damaged significant other's favorite battery-powered... item..., would one have to return said 'item' to rayovac for replacement? Hypothetically, of course...

In all seriousness, that is a generous guarantee!

frenat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frenat

While I've had problems with leaking batteries, it is usually from the off brand included with the item and not specifically any one brand. When I have had some leak though it has NOT ruined the device. I simply clean the corrosion up, scrape it off the battery contacts and wipe it off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol and then water. Let it dry and the item works fine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scubalab wrote:Uh, hypothetically, if Rayovac batteries leaked and damaged significant other's favorite battery-powered... item..., would one have to return said 'item' to rayovac for replacement? Hypothetically, of course...

Asking for a friend?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

scubalab

ThunderThighs wrote:The cost per battery is more in line with your expectations when you consider the $5 shipping. Also 96 batteries costs more to ship - more weight.

So yer sayin' Woot! factors shipping costs into the item price... not the $5 shipping charge... Uh-huh!

scubalab

ThunderThighs wrote:Asking for a friend?

red-faced

SURE! Yeah, that's right...

acanarelli

quality posts: 202 Private Messages acanarelli
TeamRayovac wrote:This is not a typical experience with our product, so I apologize for not being able to respond. Did you return the product?

I thought that you Rayovac people were going to answer questions thoroughly and honestly. You tell me that"This is not a typical experience with our product" and drop it at that. In this small forum there are several posters who claim the very same experience I had (Rayovac batteries splitting and spilling an acid substance into the battery compartment and thereby ruining the device). This did NOT happen just once, but at least 4 times that I can remember.

So I ask you again...WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN AND WHY WITH ONLY RAYOVAC BATTERIES?

Usafa92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Usafa92
frenat wrote:While I've had problems with leaking batteries, it is usually from the off brand included with the item and not specifically any one brand. When I have had some leak though it has NOT ruined the device. I simply clean the corrosion up, scrape it off the battery contacts and wipe it off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol and then water. Let it dry and the item works fine.

I second that. The token batteries that often come included with some electronics (and feel as if they're hollow) are often prone to corrosion. That being said, I've had just about every brand of alkaline corrode one me if it was placed in a device and forgotten. If you're going put batteries into something that isn't used often, suggest putting lithium batteries in them for better storage and save the alkaline ones for everyday use items such as TV remotes.

TeamRayovac

scubalab wrote:Uh, hypothetically, if Rayovac batteries leaked and damaged significant other's favorite battery-powered... item..., would one have to return said 'item' to rayovac for replacement? Hypothetically, of course...

Hypothetically....Yes.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

Kudos to Woot for getting the delivered price per battery in line with sources like Costco.

However, if the only way to get the price per battery down is huge quantities, these 72/96 quantities are crazy-too-many for the typical home. We have lots of kids and battery devices and a 48 pack is plenty many.

While some devices have special needs requiring Alkaline technology, the Panasonic/Sanyo/Amazon rechargeable NiMH batteries sold by Woot/mother Amazon make better economic sense.

Example - AA/AAA, while the price bounces, using $2.00/cell:
$2.00 / $0.31 = 6.45 ... That means after recharging a cell 7 times you're into bonus savings.

And if you bleed Green, there's that bonus as well.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
toddcleaver wrote:it was the customer service policy of requiring a receipt and paying for shipping that really turned me against Rayovac.

To be fair, have you ever seen a better guarantee from another manufacturer on disposable alkaline batteries that doesn't require a receipt or the customer paying return shipping? (I haven't, but I don't spend my days looking for battery warranties so might have missed one). It seems like most of them explicitly limit the warranty to just replacing the defective battery with a new one.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

@acanarelli, in fairness, we've had almost every brand of alkaline batteries we've used leak in devices. That includes Duracell, Rayovac, and Kirkland/Costco. The only brand we have not had leak was Panasonic, but those are harder to readily find.

I agree with the comment about often being able to redeem leaked-in devices. Neutralizing the acid with a wet rag and sanding off the corrosion often brings the device to life.

Regarding the typical satisfaction guaranteed warranties - when the brand does not pay return shipping (and requires return rather than a digital pic) the warranty is a joke.

acanarelli wrote:I thought that you Rayovac people were going to answer questions thoroughly and honestly. You tell me that"This is not a typical experience with our product" and drop it at that. In this small forum there are several posters who claim the very same experience I had (Rayovac batteries splitting and spilling an acid substance into the battery compartment and thereby ruining the device). This did NOT happen just once, but at least 4 times that I can remember.

kmartind

acanarelli wrote:So I ask you again...WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN AND WHY WITH ONLY RAYOVAC BATTERIES?

It's impossible to answer a question based on a false statement. Other Alkaline batteries most certainly have leaked and do leak sometimes (as observed by other posters, and myself).
In any case, a single anecdote is basically meaningless. I don't think anyone has ever published an independent scientific study of all battery brands looking for number of leaks per X number of batteries over Y period of time at a known temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, and state of discharge.
Failing that, the question cannot be even confirmed as valid, let alone answered.

kmartind

bobmundy wrote:I THINK YOUR COMMENT IS FAR FROM ACCURATE.....

Have you ever actually used "super heavy duty" non-alkaline batteries (in something other than a TV remote or as a backup battery for an alarm clock or something)? They're terrible, and make the lifespan of an adult mayfly seem long in comparison :^)
Aside from that, yes the Kodak Alkaline AAs I got from Woot consistently run out sooner than Member's Mark ones; across at least a couple different batches of each brand I've gone through. In line with the above comments about anecdotes, my own experience may not be typical though, which is why I asked if others had observed the same thing, and if they'd ever compared either of those to Rayovac and seen any consistent difference.

wooter1232

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooter1232
TeamRayovac wrote:Good morning Woot Forum! This is Dave from Middleton, WI on behalf of the Rayovac team. I am going to be available to YOU assisting with all questions related to our products.

Hi Dave, thanks for making yourself available today. I have a question regarding your popular "Lasts as long as Duracell" claim. Please provide details as to how that was determined, as videos such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8Ezm68fss show Duracell clearly lasting longer. Thanks again.

Rantipole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rantipole
kmartind wrote:It's impossible to answer a question based on a false statement. Other Alkaline batteries most certainly have leaked and do leak sometimes (as observed by other posters, and myself).

This. Some people are clearly upset about something that was ruined by a leaking battery, but that's not an excuse for making ridiculous claims. FWIW, I've never had a Rayovac battery leak, but I have had an Energizer leak! So there. :-\

I just wish there was a combo pack, or a fewer battery option because as mention above, it will take me years to work through 72 AAs.

xerxes76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxes76

If you have a local Menards you can find them in store for less $.

kanedag1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kanedag1
acanarelli wrote:

Several people have said this already, but..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery#Leaks
Given enough time, it's possible that any alkaline battery will leak. I've had it happen with all brands. I had to completely disassemble a Mag Light and use a steel pipe to hammer out a set of Duracell because I left them in the flashlight, dead, in the garage for a long time.

Now, does this happen more with Rayovac or Kirkland or Kodak? Maybe, or maybe not. But there is no way that anyone can say that it's "only" Rayovac.

Also, a troll-bait theory: People that use lower cost batteries like these sometimes use them in devices that are not used frequently (maybe because the device is inexpensive, or seasonal, etc). So, a lower cost battery is used in a device that you could live without. So, device that isn't used much is stored with dead batteries and... they leak! Damn Rayovacs always leak and the Energizers that I use in my camera that I take everywhere have never ever leaked (because they are changed regularly).

ThunderThighs

Staff

Good morning all. We just launched a Plus event for Rayovac Power Chargers on Tech if you're interested.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

acanarelli wrote:I thought that you Rayovac people were going to answer questions thoroughly and honestly. You tell me that"This is not a typical experience with our product" and drop it at that. In this small forum there are several posters who claim the very same experience I had (Rayovac batteries splitting and spilling an acid substance into the battery compartment and thereby ruining the device). This did NOT happen just once, but at least 4 times that I can remember.

Please be respectful of our vendor reps. They take time out of their day to engage with the Woot community - something no other site offers.

Usafa92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Usafa92

As for battery life, a few years back I helped my 5th grader with his science experiment where we wired up two AA batteries to a couple flashlight bulbs and put an old battery operated alarm clock (the kind with hands and dials and not digital). We measured how long the batteries would run. We varied the type (Lithium, Alkaline, & 2400 mAH NiMH rechargeable) and brand (Duracell, Duracell Procell, Energizer, Energizer Industrial, Rayovac, & Eveready). It was a lot of batteries to test, but fun to show my son how electricity works.

As expected, the Lithiums far outperformed rechargeable & alkalines. The rechargeables were slightly better than the alkalines. Of the alkalines, there wasn't much difference between the Rayovac & the Duracell/Energizer brands. Considering I'm usually able to get Rayovac on sale/rebate @ Menards or the other hardware stores, I prefer them for my alkaline needs as they represent the best bang for the buck.

You really can't beat cheap Rayovacs, unless you're prone to just leaving batteries in stuff and forgetting it until they leak. As for corrosion, I've had a few leak on me, but that's something I've come to expect from any alkaline batteries left unattended. I keep my Rayovacs in the plastic box I buy them in and put them in kids toys & TV remotes as needed. When they die, I promptly replace them.

TeamRayovac

Hi Wooter1232, According to ANSI average performance testing (see last image on main page) our batteries do in fact last just as long as the competition.

We have seen the video you provided many times. The devices used in the video vary too much to be considered an all-inclusive test for battery life. Expiration date is another factor that comes into play. Alkaline battery life slowly decreases as it sits on the shelf. Each battery in the video must be produced on the same date and be tested accordingly. Consumer tests like this video do not take in all the factors necessary to determine true battery life. Therefore, we still stand by our last as long claim. Thanks for the question.

wooter1232 wrote:Hi Dave, thanks for making yourself available today. I have a question regarding your popular "Lasts as long as Duracell" claim. Please provide details as to how that was determined, as videos such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8Ezm68fss show Duracell clearly lasting longer. Thanks again.

kmartind

TeamRayovac wrote:Hi Wooter1232, According to ANSI average performance testing (see last image on main page) our batteries do in fact last just as long as the competition.

It looks like there is a little more detaled info here:
http://www.rayovacindustrial.com/ANSI-Battery-Testing-W58C73.aspx

It makes a valid point, that even if such a test were actually done very carefully and scientifically, it would still only be a test of which battery lasts longest under continuous drain of X milliamps. If you're not buying batteries just to run in an incandescent flashlight that is continuously left on until the battery fails, then the results wouldn't be useful to you because how long a battery lasts depends very significantly on how it is used. Kind of like the gas mileage you'd get in a car if you're racing at a track versus taking a highway trip or sitting in heavy traffic. A valid test needs to better approximate real-world use.

vudean

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vudean
jmille72 wrote:Almost as cheap as Walmart. 96 count of same Rayovacs for $24.97... with free shippping. I thought Woot was supposed to have deals here?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-815-96F-Rayovac-Alkaline-AA-Batteries-96-Pack/27127020?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=48691418582&category=0%3A3944%3A3945%3A473219&client_guid=1328d984-e1c9-438c-9770-47067b165cb3&customer_id_enc=e76dcbb2f7599ce43ee4f9eca076d15d&config_id=0&parent_item_id=27127020&guid=2b3073b9-8268-4ba5-88b3-e918f3c5b5cc&bucket_id=irsbucket011&findingMethod=p13n

[MOD: Free shipping on orders over $50]

Thank you. I see its 4.97 shipping to me so still better... or I can just find some more junk to buy at wal-mart. doesn't look like you can ship to store for free, not sure why.

acanarelli

quality posts: 202 Private Messages acanarelli
ThunderThighs wrote:Please be respectful of our vendor reps. They take time out of their day to engage with the Woot community - something no other site offers.

I have not displayed any disrespect. I may be a little upset because one of the items that was ruined as a result of these faulty batteries was my first digital camera. The camera was an Olympus D340R which was a year and a half old...and in those days cost me about $500.

The rep who answered my post told me in so many words that he is not aware of such a problem with his products. I suggest that you and he go back and count the posters who claim to have the very same "leaking" problem I had.

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

what is the procedure for doing so?

TeamRayovac wrote:That is correct.

TeamRayovac

drthomasho wrote:what is the procedure for doing so?

Simply contact our consumer service department and they can assist you. 1-800-237-7000

Thanks.

kmartind

acanarelli wrote:The rep who answered my post told me in so many words that he is not aware of such a problem with his products. I suggest that you and he go back and count the posters who claim to have the very same "leaking" problem I had.

I've definitely had a Duracell or Member's Mark alkaline battery leak from time to time, as well as Kodak, Energizer and other off brands over the years. It really does come with the territory when using Alkaline batteries. The key is to try to reduce the chances that the battery will leak while it's still inside your device. When I fail to do that, I consider it to be my own fault and certainly wouldn't hold Duracell, etc, responsible for a several hundred dollar device when I'm the one who made the mistake of leaving Alkaline batteries in it for a long period of time unusued (which is disregarding the instructions printed on the battery package).

To quote the Wikipedia link cited earlier:

Alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic agent that can cause respiratory, eye and skin irritation. This can be reduced by not attempting to recharge disposable alkaline cells, not mixing different battery types in the same device, replacing all of the batteries at the same time, storing in a dry place, and removing batteries for storage of devices.
All batteries gradually self-discharge (whether installed in a device or not) and dead batteries will eventually leak. Extremely high temperatures can also cause batteries to rupture and leak (such as in a car during summer).
The reason for leaks is that as batteries discharge — either through usage or gradual self-discharge — the chemistry of the cells changes and some hydrogen gas is generated. This out-gassing increases pressure in the battery. Eventually, the excess pressure either ruptures the insulating seals at the end of the battery, or the outer metal canister, or both. In addition, as the battery ages, its steel outer canister may gradually corrode or rust, which can further contribute to containment failure.
Once a leak has formed due to corrosion of the outer steel shell, potassium hydroxide absorbs carbon dioxide from the air to form a feathery crystalline structure of potassium carbonate that grows and spreads out from the battery over time, following along metal electrodes to circuit boards where it commences oxidation of copper tracks and other components, leading to permanent circuitry damage.
The leaking crystalline growths can also emerge from seams around battery covers to form a furry coating outside the device, that corrodes any objects in contact with the leaking device.

Where possible I try to use single-use Lithium batteries for devices that need to have batteries left in them for long periods of time, but those are a LOT more expensive than Alkalines.

werekong

quality posts: 6 Private Messages werekong

Lot of negativity here, and, I guess I'm going to add to it.......somewhat (not specifically Rayovac, though). The Rayovac team stated "Expiration date is another factor that comes into play. Alkaline battery life slowly decreases as it sits on the shelf." If you buy a multipack, i.e. 72, 96, or whatever, you probably should consider the time factor. How long are the batteries going to sit on the shelf before all are finally used? It would seem that the longer they sit, the more they drain, and the less cost effective they will become. It might be cheaper to buy a smaller number, so that they will be fresh and fully charged, especially if it takes a year or two to use all of those 72 (or 96) batteries.

Skotyman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skotyman
frenat wrote:While I've had problems with leaking batteries, it is usually from the off brand included with the item and not specifically any one brand. When I have had some leak though it has NOT ruined the device. I simply clean the corrosion up, scrape it off the battery contacts and wipe it off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol and then water. Let it dry and the item works fine.

Make a paste with water & baking soda and q-tip it on next time. It will neutralize the acid.

TeamRayovac

Hi werekong,

Yes, alkaline battery life does slowly decrease while sitting on the shelf. To remedy this - we have updated our battery formula to deliver a 10-year shelf life! Using a multi-pack of 72 or 96 batteries is highly feasible in a span of 10 years.

You can read more about shelf life and the new formula in this press release: http://www.rayovac.com/Media/Press-Releases/Battery-Division-Announces-Ready-Power-Technology-Advancement.aspx

werekong wrote:Lot of negativity here, and, I guess I'm going to add to it.......somewhat (not specifically Rayovac, though). The Rayovac team stated "Expiration date is another factor that comes into play. Alkaline battery life slowly decreases as it sits on the shelf." If you buy a multipack, i.e. 72, 96, or whatever, you probably should consider the time factor. How long are the batteries going to sit on the shelf before all are finally used? It would seem that the longer they sit, the more they drain, and the less cost effective they will become. It might be cheaper to buy a smaller number, so that they will be fresh and fully charged, especially if it takes a year or two to use all of those 72 (or 96) batteries.

kmartind

Skotyman wrote:Make a paste with water & baking soda and q-tip it on next time. It will neutralize the acid.

Except that it's not actually acid, unless you're talking about non-alkaline "heavy duty" zinc-chloride batteries, or lead-acid batteries like those used in cars or motorcycles.
If you really wanted to neutralize the potassium hydroxide from an Alkaline battery you'd need an acid, like a vinegar or lemon juice solution.

Skotyman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skotyman
kmartind wrote:Except that it's not actually acid, unless you're talking about non-alkaline "heavy duty" zinc-chloride batteries, or lead-acid batteries like those used in cars or motorcycles.
If you really wanted to neutralize the potassium hydroxide from an Alkaline battery you'd need an acid, like a vinegar or lemon juice solution.

um...oh. Thanks. I found some battery corrosion on a wireless doorbell that's on my fence by the gate and my first thought was that I should use vinegar to stop the corrosion (it's kind of an expensive doorbell and it's attached to the brick post so will be a pain to replace) and my neighbor reminded me that it's baking soda that we use on car batteries. Should have gone with my first instinct. Thanks for the info.

imatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imatt

No 123a love?

Rayovac is the only battery brand I buy.

werekong

quality posts: 6 Private Messages werekong
TeamRayovac wrote:Hi werekong,

Yes, alkaline battery life does slowly decrease while sitting on the shelf. To remedy this - we have updated our battery formula to deliver a 10-year shelf life! Using a multi-pack of 72 or 96 batteries is highly feasible in a span of 10 years.

You can read more about shelf life and the new formula in this press release: http://www.rayovac.com/Media/Press-Releases/Battery-Division-Announces-Ready-Power-Technology-Advancement.aspx

I have a follow-up question. After 10 years,I understand that there will still be life in the battery, but how much life is left? Or, maybe more importantly, what percent is lost per year? Also, Concerning the Woot offer, are these batteries brand new, so that they will be good 10 years from now?

pewpdawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pewpdawg

People seem to forget that rechargeable batteries NEVER reach a full 1.5v, unlike fresh lithium or alkalines.

In a device which needs 3v or 6v, rechargeables wont be working long in them. Some things can get by with 2.5v or 5v, but not everything.

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth
wooter1232 wrote:Hi Dave, thanks for making yourself available today. I have a question regarding your popular "Lasts as long as Duracell" claim. Please provide details as to how that was determined, as videos such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8Ezm68fss show Duracell clearly lasting longer. Thanks again.

I have tested them all with a lab-grade (0.1%) analyzer. The Rayovacs are in the middle of the pack between the Kodaks and the Duracell Coppertop
(not the Quantum). The Rayovacs used in this test were about a year and a half old, others tested were newer. See this:

The Rayovac is the bright green trace sort of off by itself, just above the black arrow. Larger here: http://tinypic.com/r/2vvv1ht/8

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
pauldownsouth wrote:I have tested them all with a lab-grade (0.1%) analyzer. The Rayovacs are in the middle of the pack between the Kodaks and the Duracell Coppertop
(not the Quantum). The Rayovacs used in this test were about a year and a half old, others tested were newer. See this:

Larger here: http://tinypic.com/r/2vvv1ht/8

thanks. thats the most helpful post in the discussion.

I always did like yardsales.