sdmcfarland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdmcfarland
Jaspers wrote:Is there a smell and does it go away? We have a similar gel topper on our mattress and it had a pretty strong plastic/chemical smell for about a week while we let it air out.

I had gotten the gel one and opened it up in another room and waited a few days before moving it into my bedroom and putting it on our bed. I did smell for a while a few days but yes it did go away

cousineaud

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cousineaud
yankeekiwi wrote:We have a holiday home in up state New York which we use on an occasional basis over the winter. While we are away we turn the temp way down, just warm enough to stop the pipes freezing. We have thought of having a memory foam mattress/topper on our bed (we find the mattress too firm) I am concerned though with the cold. We have a memory foam mattress at home and the day it was delivered was COLD, and the mattress was as hard as a brick until it warmed up which took an hour or two. Would this be a problem with the topper in the 'snow zone' We normally arrive late in the evening and if we had to wait a few hours to thaw the topper before hitting the hay it wouldn't be a hugely successful investment.

The foam does respond to the temperature around it, but it really doesn't freeze or need to thaw.

It gets cold just as the sheets, mattress and comforter would get cold, but also warm up just as quickly.

cousineaud

thumperchick wrote:Hi! Does the gel foam stay cool throughout the night? Or does it end up reflecting your own heat back at you after a few hours?

The foam is manufactured using "open cell" technology. This allows for more air to pass through the foam, resulting in a more temperature neutral sleep. The gel also improves this by absorbing extra heat and transferring it through the topper. The gel does absorb the heat, but the extra air flow transitions it out of the topper.

A little wordy... but I hope this helps.

cousineaud

sdmcfarland wrote:I had gotten the 3" gel topper a few months ago. My bed is about 10 years old and is made of foam. There were sagging areas of the mattress we owned and when I put the topper on it did take on the shape of the mattress we had and I went to a technic I had used at the hospital I work in when there is a mattress that has areas that need support. I took some towels or you can use some blankets, and fold them and put them under the topper where these issues are until it improves the surface of the topper. It's a great way to get more years out of that old mattress and save up for a better one. I love the topper I sleep great.

Glad you were happy with your purchase, we manufactured that item as well!

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
cousineaud wrote:A little wordy... but I hope this helps.

I think it did, Thanks!

The material tends to pull heat away from the body, and the air pockets in the design help that heat disperse, instead of trapping it.

sdmcfarland

yankeekiwi wrote:We have a holiday home in up state New York which we use on an occasional basis over the winter. While we are away we turn the temp way down, just warm enough to stop the pipes freezing. We have thought of having a memory foam mattress/topper on our bed (we find the mattress too firm) I am concerned though with the cold. We have a memory foam mattress at home and the day it was delivered was COLD, and the mattress was as hard as a brick until it warmed up which took an hour or two. Would this be a problem with the topper in the 'snow zone' We normally arrive late in the evening and if we had to wait a few hours to thaw the topper before hitting the hay it wouldn't be a hugely successful investment.

Your own body heat will warm the topper and make it more pliable in a very short time, within minutes. This is what I found with our 3" gel topper

cousineaud

angrychuck wrote:Can this be used on top of a waterbed mattress?

I have never been asked this question! I am not really familiar with waterbeds... I suppose you could use the topper on a waterbed mattress, but it may negate the point of having a waterbed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

cousineaud

thumperchick wrote:I think it did, Thanks!

The material tends to pull heat away from the body, and the air pockets in the design help that heat disperse, instead of trapping it.

Yes! That is it.

sdmcfarland

cousineaud wrote:I have never been asked this question! I am not really familiar with waterbeds... I suppose you could use the topper on a waterbed mattress, but it may negate the point of having a waterbed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I have a friend who put a regular mattress on his water bed and that worked out well. I also have had water bed in the past and I own a topper now on my foam mattress. I would try it out I think it would be a nice sleeping surface, and I don't see why then you would have to use the heater on the water bed. Not that it would get hot just there would be that insolation between you and the water bladder, that might save you some money

sdmcfarland

So when am I going to be hired to sell these things?? ;)

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes
KENDOG4 wrote:Any idea on what type of fitted sheets work best?

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-ultra-soft-300-thread-count-fitted-sheet/-/A-13973172#prodSlot=medium_1_2

These are the best sheets I've found for staying on a deep mattress. They have two sets of elastic at the corners... one at the edge, like you'd expect, and then another that really helps the sheet stay on. They fit my super thick pillowtop mattress with plenty of room to spare, and they stay on. Bonus, they are inexpensive yet nice!

fancyfree2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fancyfree2k
angrychuck wrote:Can this be used on top of a waterbed mattress?

I had a waterbed for years and used a 2" memory foam topper on it. It worked great and I found that it insulated enough that I no longer needed to use the heater to make the bed comfortable. Anyway, that was my experience :-)

MasterBrewer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasterBrewer

We had a pillow top mattress that had completely deformed... giant indentations on each half. I was actually able to take a boxcutter and remove the pillowtop section from the main mattress and then put one of the 3" gel toppers I bought here in its place. It works perfectly and has added tons of comfort to our mattress.

smcd11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcd11
spun4621 wrote:I received a Serta pillow top mattress about 7 years ago. There's very little support left in it. Don't get me wrong, its nice and cozy, but your back WILL be sore in the morning.

Can this topper be put on a pillow top mattress? I understand I'll probably have a hell of a time finding a fitted sheet that will actually stay on...but, will the memory foam/gel top still work as intended? Or does it need something more firm under it, like a regular mattress.

Thanks everyone!

I have a pillow top as well and bought a similar gel topper( mine is 4" and this one is 2". I do notice that the pillow top tends to settle in the middle as the springs give out and the gel can multiply that. I am glad I bought the gel topper but its something you should be aware of. Also when I was doing my research everyone said to go one size up because these tend to be smaller than they should be.

davidr0058

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidr0058

Do you need to get a deeper pocket mattress pad and sheet after you install this on your bed?

cousineaud

davidr0058 wrote:Do you need to get a deeper pocket mattress pad and sheet after you install this on your bed?

It will add 2" to the height of your mattress, so it would depend on how your sheets and mattress pad currently fit.

mgvankeulen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgvankeulen

This sounds like something that would soften a mattress that may be a bit too firm. Our 9 year old daughter has a quality twin mattress (about 4 years old), but she doesn't like the firmness of it. What do you think?

ishnite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ishnite

My biggest question is...which one do I want to get? The foam or gel? What is the difference between the two really? (other than price).

I'm looking for something to make a terrible full sized "mattress" comfortable for the year and a half longer I'll be living on it (one of those fully furnished apartment dorm like situations).

jspills4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jspills4

Smeariously. What's the good word? Is it worth $10 more to get the gel? Looks like MSRP is $100 more for Gel.

cousineaud

ishnite wrote:My biggest question is...which one do I want to get? The foam or gel? What is the difference between the two really? (other than price).

I'm looking for something to make a terrible full sized "mattress" comfortable for the year and a half longer I'll be living on it (one of those fully furnished apartment dorm like situations).

The Gel is the latest in memory foam technology. It really would be the top of the line memory foam topper. The traditional memory foam topper is still made with open cell memory foam, but it costs less.

So, if you want to spoil yourself... Gel

If you want to be economical... Traditional Foam.

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
Skiwinterpark wrote:Does this come with a cover? If not, is a cover needed?

What is the weight of the gel infused queen?

Can one resize this by cutting it themselves?

Do you believe it would work on a sleeper sofa?

I don't know about the gel style, but I once tried cutting a memory foam-using both a sharp knife and scissors. Total fiasco. The knife just couldn't slice through and down the length and depth as you might expect/want it to. Scissors, even using a straight edge as a guide and to compress the foam, resulted in a scalloped edge. Using a razor or linoleum cutter might do the trick, but I wouldn't know as I botched the job trying with a knife and scissors first. Part of the problem is you need a long enough blade to get through, even compressed, the thickness of the foam. Plus, you've got to find a long and flat enough surface (ie the floor) to lay the thing out on to cut it, risking damage to the floor.

transfigure

quality posts: 3 Private Messages transfigure
spun4621 wrote:I received a Serta pillow top mattress about 7 years ago. There's very little support left in it. Don't get me wrong, its nice and cozy, but your back WILL be sore in the morning.

Can this topper be put on a pillow top mattress? I understand I'll probably have a hell of a time finding a fitted sheet that will actually stay on...but, will the memory foam/gel top still work as intended? Or does it need something more firm under it, like a regular mattress.

Thanks everyone!

On the off chance you haven't tried it yet: I have a pillow top mattress and, while you can't flip it like a standard inner-spring mattress, you can rotate it 180 degrees (head to foot), which will extend it's life some.

I use a topper (though not this one) with my pillow top mattress and it does help. I don't see why you couldn't use this one (though some of your fitted sheets might not fit right, since pillow-top mattresses are already thicker than usual).

margravinemakam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages margravinemakam
clintone wrote:I don't know about the gel style, but I once tried cutting a memory foam-using both a sharp knife and scissors. Total fiasco. The knife just couldn't slice through and down the length and depth as you might expect/want it to. Scissors, even using a straight edge as a guide and to compress the foam, resulted in a scalloped edge. Using a razor or linoleum cutter might do the trick, but I wouldn't know as I botched the job trying with a knife and scissors first. Part of the problem is you need a long enough blade to get through, even compressed, the thickness of the foam. Plus, you've got to find a long and flat enough surface (ie the floor) to lay the thing out on to cut it, risking damage to the floor.

A bread knife or other serrated blade is the best thing to use to cut foam.

I have a 3" gel one on my mattress and it has definitely extended the life of it. I spent the first night composing the Craigslist ad I was going to use to sell it, but the second night I slept like a baby and haven't looked back. I have a 4" one waiting for my new bed and I'll probably cheap out on the mattresses I buy for it because I know the foam will compensate.

tammyabutler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tammyabutler
tagbert wrote:I got the 3" one a few months ago. Really love it. We were thinking we would need a new mattress because it just wasn't comfortable anymore but with the new topper, it is heaven.

Which one do you have, memory or gel?

amykate

quality posts: 4 Private Messages amykate
MasterBrewer wrote:We had a pillow top mattress that had completely deformed... giant indentations on each half. I was actually able to take a boxcutter and remove the pillowtop section from the main mattress and then put one of the 3" gel toppers I bought here in its place. It works perfectly and has added tons of comfort to our mattress.

I have that exact problem! Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could make this work.

wugenius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wugenius

Just picked up the Gel Topper for our mattress. We just bought the mattress a couple of years ago but its still too firm for our tastes. Hopefully this will help us out.

Question for those who have ordered one of these from woot. How do these things ship? Also, how many days should I air the topper out before putting it on the bed?

Thanks!

cousineaud

wugenius wrote:Just picked up the Gel Topper for our mattress. We just bought the mattress a couple of years ago but its still too firm for our tastes. Hopefully this will help us out.

Question for those who have ordered one of these from woot. How do these things ship? Also, how many days should I air the topper out before putting it on the bed?

Thanks!

The toppers ship via FedEx.

The topper will raise right away once you unpack. There will be a slight smell, but it goes away very quickly.

soc66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soc66

This may sound crazy, but will it defeat the point of our Tempurpedic mattress by using this topper? We do love it, but need height badly for the look of our bed. Will it feel like another whole bed entirely?

mystic951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystic951

I got the 3" back in November because I was having major back issues. Happy to say I noticed the difference right away. It's quite comfortable, very cool, and so far has maintained it's original level of resilience. Only complaint is that it shifts quit a bit, beyond that, definitely would buy again.

thumperchick wrote:I would love to add a layer of comfort to our 5 year old mattress and extend its life a bit.

Is the gel really that comfortable, and does it keep cool? Or, like it's pillow counterpart, does it end up absorbing and reflecting your body heat back at you?

smashedpumpkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smashedpumpkins

We actually purchased a pillow top mattress yesterday. We wanted a memory/gel mattress but they were too expensive. Would it be weird for me to turn around and buy this and throw it on top of our brand new mattress?

Woot!!

cousineaud

smashedpumpkins wrote:We actually purchased a pillow top mattress yesterday. We wanted a memory/gel mattress but they were too expensive. Would it be weird for me to turn around and buy this and throw it on top of our brand new mattress?

Of course not!

wugenius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wugenius

Is there a significant difference with a 2 inch topper versus a 3 inch topper?

celeste91784

quality posts: 8 Private Messages celeste91784
mgvankeulen wrote:This sounds like something that would soften a mattress that may be a bit too firm. Our 9 year old daughter has a quality twin mattress (about 4 years old), but she doesn't like the firmness of it. What do you think?

My daughter had the same problem and I got her a memory foam (not gel) topper a few years ago. She loves it. When I began experiencing back pain last year I got the 3" gel topper from Woot and haven't woken up with stiffness or pain since. Highly recommend!

mlssjolly1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlssjolly1

Trying not to be super annoyed that I just bought the same thing on woot for $30 more than this deal. Come on Woot, you are slipping!!

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182
soc66 wrote:This may sound crazy, but will it defeat the point of our Tempurpedic mattress by using this topper? We do love it, but need height badly for the look of our bed. Will it feel like another whole bed entirely?

Certainly not an expert here, and about to post my own question..

But if you want to raise the height of the bed for looks, why not get a set of bed risers? They come in many different styles and sizes, but are pretty much all the same. I have a set of 2" risers on my bed now, and it looks much better and also gives more storage room underneath.

...i remain, he who remains to be...

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182

@cousineaud: Does the gel topper always come back to flat form? So it's like a new bed every night, or will it eventually remember your body position?

...i remain, he who remains to be...

mcotter11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcotter11
cousineaud wrote:The foam is manufactured using "open cell" technology. This allows for more air to pass through the foam, resulting in a more temperature neutral sleep. The gel also improves this by absorbing extra heat and transferring it through the topper. The gel does absorb the heat, but the extra air flow transitions it out of the topper.

A little wordy... but I hope this helps.

SO... to clarify, I get really warm with my feather topper in the summer. Will the gel keep me cooler or the same as if I were using only with my mattress and no feather topper?

emberisle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emberisle
mystic951 wrote:Only complaint is that it shifts quit a bit, beyond that, definitely would buy again.

No idea if this would apply to mattresses; however, for Thai/Shiatsu massage mats, when they are slipping on hardwood floors, we put a yoga mat beneath them (or two, for a larger Thai mat).

I've never been able to feel that the yoga mat is beneath it and it's just sticky enough to hold it in place.

cousineaud

ricka182 wrote:@cousineaud: Does the gel topper always come back to flat form? So it's like a new bed every night, or will it eventually remember your body position?

It always returns to flat form.

shock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shock

With the added 2 inches there is no way my dog wil be able to jump on the bed, he struggles to get up now....