leakysneaky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leakysneaky

Craftsman tool chests are now made in China. Not the quality Craftsman was known for a few years ago. Reviews for this model on Amazon reveal lots of complaints about the drawers sticking with very little weight in them due to the lack of ball bearings.

gchette wrote:Craftsman cabinets aren't the same quality they used to be. If you compare these side by side with similar cabinets from Lowes, HomeDepot or Menards there is considerably more flex in the Craftsman cabinets. Its too bad as I have used Craftsman tools since my first tool set, but after Kmart bought Sears the brand has gotten cheap.

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

With the exception of the mechanics (hand) tools, just about everything in the Craftsman line has been an import for decades.

Certified Wine Geek

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

I have owned a similar set of Craftsman Boxes to this one for over 20 years with regular non roller slides. I have worked as an Industrial Mechanic, big and tiny machines not just cars, I have toted my boxes on golf carts, loaded them on trucks, dragged them to job locations and even moved them on the luggage rack of my car when required. The only problems I have had are these; I lost the keys for the boxes about two years after I brought them home to stay so I can't lock them, and a slide that got hit with a flying tool sticks now and then.

I don't know who makes these boxes now but mine were made by the same company that made Waterloo took boxes and I am very happy with mine.

After what I put my boxes through over the years and the way they held up I will say that if you are having problems it might not be the box.

bbones77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbones77
kylecoburn wrote:How much assembly is required?

Anyone know if the drawers are on ball bearings?

I don't see anywhere in the specs that they have ball bearing drawers.
If this is the case, I would not suggest buying it. I've had a non-ball bearing tool box identical to this one for 35 years and I hate it! The drawers are so hard to open, especially the ones with a lot of weight. You have to have the guides dripping with grease to get them to move. I get into this box several times a day and I thought this would be a good time to get rid of it, but I don't think this box is any better!

youngandpoor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngandpoor
m3rdpwr wrote:I was finally able to do in-store pickup.

Thanks for he reminder of their sale.
I got screwed on the box I tried to order yesterday,.

how did you get in store pickup? i am talking with tehm now and they say that option is not available. i dont want to pay the 70$ shipping

EvilGnome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilGnome

I've own one of these tool chests with the glides, not ball bearings, for about 3 or 4 years. On Black Friday two years ago, I got a middle chest with ball bearings for steal at $19.99. The difference in the drawers is night and day. My biggest complaint of the glides is that they bind. You walk over to the drawer, open it, grab a handful of tools, and try to push it closed. It will bind if you don't push it straight enough. Secondly, I've greased these a time or two already. I suppose that's to be expected, but it's another annoyance when I have some drawers that just don't get a lot of use sticking. The glides also don't have a "park" position when closed. The ball bearing drawers open and close nicely, and have a firm "bump" when closed all the way.
The glides are not worthless, just frustrating. If you intent to open and close drawers frequently, give this some thought. I think I paid $300 for the top and bottom on clearance, so this seems like a good deal. However, I'm looking hard at the $300 heavy duty set that was also posted here. It'd be nice to spread out my storage and organize better.

bigdaddylee82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdaddylee82

Negative, Craftsman "Quiet Glide" slides are NOT ball bearing.

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911
bbones77 wrote:I don't see anywhere in the specs that they have ball bearing drawers.
If this is the case, I would not suggest buying it. I've had a non-ball bearing tool box identical to this one for 35 years and I hate it! The drawers are so hard to open, especially the ones with a lot of weight. You have to have the guides dripping with grease to get them to move. I get into this box several times a day and I thought this would be a good time to get rid of it, but I don't think this box is any better!

How much can you really hate it if you've kept if for almost 4 decades? ;)
It's tough to compare something built today with something built that long ago.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
bubbawheat wrote:Not surprised to see this:

'would you believe it: we shipped it in a weak box'

Sadly yeah, woot you know you've earned that belief.....just like the delivery I got yesterday from woot of a tool put in a box 3x the size of the tool with no packing as usual so and the box looks as expected - like a heavy object inside battered it. I've got other cracked & dented items (i.e. 6 acro mills cabinets) I've had to pound out apon receipt from woot. This latest time the item seems undamaged but it shows woot still doesn't care a bit about protecting our merchandise & trying for a safe delivery. It certainly effected my work & play shopping with them & I have to argue to myself some offer price is worth the risk, disappointment, and hassle of asking for & making a return.

Caveat emptor especially with items like sheet metal cabinets or plastic case tools that can easily be scratch, dented, fractured, or crushed on arrival because they're seemingly packed with no care what so ever about customer expectations.

From the description: "Packaging: Tool Chest and Cabinet are now packaged in a double-walled box."

Blindsider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blindsider

Below is the link to the Sears page where you can sign up for their Member Rewards program and get the other 3 piece for the $300 picked up in store. I actually bought this exact one on Monday and so far its really good. Except all 3 use different keys. They even brought it out curbside without having to go in using their app. The 3 piece is in the second row of the page too.

http://www.sears.com/weekly-member-deals-sears/dap-120000000244959?adCell=R17sywrweekly&adCell=W1P&adCell=W2

crashkobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashkobra
CaptFear wrote:Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

You have to be a sears/craftsman "member" to get that price

I just bought the one from the link and in my area (Minnesota) I am picking it up at the store for $322 after taxes. Heavy duty, ball bearings and all :-)

crashkobra

bigdaddylee82 wrote:Negative, Craftsman "Quiet Glide" slides are NOT ball bearing.

You put the wheels on and bolt the top/middle box together

crashkobra

You put the wheels on and bolt the top/middle box together

msmith2740

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmith2740

I'm in, better than my plastic tool boxes

idrivea911

quality posts: 4 Private Messages idrivea911
CaptFear wrote:Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

You have to sign up for their "shop your way" thing, which is just an e-mail address and password. Still $70 shipping, I'm on the fence about it.

[Edit] If you add all 3 things individually, you can choose store pickup, it fixes the price, and no delivery charge. I'm out the door for $318 ($18 tax).

renrutnairbwoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages renrutnairbwoot

Hoping this is sitting in sold out status forever as they try to figure out how to queue up the Bag of Crap.

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

Before adding to cart there was a check store status.
Enter your zip code.
If the list shows blank, no one near you has it.
It threw me off the first time.
I then clicked update when I selected my store and done.

youngandpoor wrote:how did you get in store pickup? i am talking with tehm now and they say that option is not available. i dont want to pay the 70$ shipping

EvilGnome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilGnome
idrivea911 wrote:

[Edit] If you add all 3 things individually, you can choose store pickup, it fixes the price, and no delivery charge. I'm out the door for $318 ($18 tax).

Darn, I tried to do this and get teh black set. Nothing against the red, but my other tool chest is grey\black.

SavingSista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SavingSista

Sold out already? Boo, hiss!

alagator131

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alagator131

Any additional for delivery by Quad-Copter Drone?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 129 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

alagator131 wrote:Any additional for delivery by Quad-Copter Drone?

Sorrrrry, it's over the drone weight limit.

mad1d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mad1d

I ordered this last time and received both boxes damaged. Was told UPS would not pay a claim because they were not packaged properly. Now I have the top box crushed on one side and the bottom box pushed in. Not good

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mad1d wrote:I ordered this last time and received both boxes damaged. Was told UPS would not pay a claim because they were not packaged properly. Now I have the top box crushed on one side and the bottom box pushed in. Not good

Sorry to hear that you received your order in the condition you described.

Please write into support@woot.com and let them know what's going on. They'll be more than happy to help answer any questions or concerns you have about your purchase.

AbraxasTX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AbraxasTX

Bottom unit just arrived today. It appears in good condition but it was packed in a "single" (not double-walled) box. I plan to put it together tomorrow, perhaps, as the other unit arrives.

The original woot ad said "We're packing this bad boy in a special, durable, double-walled box to ensure it shows up to your house in tip-top shape."

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

AbraxasTX wrote:Bottom unit just arrived today. It appears in good condition but it was packed in a "single" (not double-walled) box. I plan to put it together tomorrow, perhaps, as the other unit arrives.

The original woot ad said "We're packing this bad boy in a special, durable, double-walled box to ensure it shows up to your house in tip-top shape."

Sorry if they packing on your order wasn't properly packed.

If you have any problems with your order, please feel free to email into support@woot.com and let them know.

humungus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages humungus

I opened both boxes of this tool box set this morning, and found that the bottom tool chest has numerous dents and damage to each drawer, most on both sides in front of the slide assembly. The metal is visibly bent. It looks like the drawers were heavily forced against the slides when they didn't have that rubber stop put on them. There is also a fist sized dent to the top rear outside portion of the chest itself. None of it appears to be shipping damage, the dent because there is no damage to the carton it came in to that area, and the drawers because, well, they are inside the tool chest itself. The drawers actually look like a manufacturing issue. Either way, there must have been no QA because all but a blind man could've spotted the damage, and somebody had to have put it in the box this way. I've emailed woot, and am waiting for a resolution (which I'm sure will be excellent), but it is not with a little bit of disappointment that I look at this and wonder what kind of person would just shrug and ship it the way it is. Unreal.

The top box was in excellent condition btw.

neversat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neversat

I received the bottom half today. I am still waiting for the top half. The piece I received is damaged. Woot DID use a doubled-walled box, but I guess that wasn't enough to protect it.

msmith2740

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmith2740

So I got my set... Top cabinet is all dented up. I got offered $20 for my troubles... :-(

RIAnderson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RIAnderson

It is May 12th and I have still not received my tool chest. Anybody with any answers????

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 129 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

RIAnderson wrote:It is May 12th and I have still not received my tool chest. Anybody with any answers????

I'm sorry, you definitely should have gotten that by now! If you haven't already, please email into support@woot.com with your username and order number, and they can help figure out what happened.

MIthraic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MIthraic

I have had one of these for 45 years - the non ball bearing version- except my top section instead of 3 little drawers had one drawer the height of the 3 drawers. My problem Is I have no idea what the model number is and I need to buy a slide rail for 2 of the drawers- I broke the little spring off which measn when i open it it keeps on coming and drops on the floor. Anyone havea clue where i can get a side rail?

MIthraic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MIthraic
leakysneaky wrote:Craftsman tool chests are now made in China. Not the quality Craftsman was known for a few years ago. Reviews for this model on Amazon reveal lots of complaints about the drawers sticking with very little weight in them due to the lack of ball bearings.

I cant even find a non ball bearing model anywhere let alone in China. Mine has lasted fine for 45 years loaded with tools - so much so I have had to buy another much huger one with ball bearings to actually store my stuff, so now i can use this one for only one type of tool i use in my business. SO 45 years of daily whacking around with only one broken slider spring is better than you can hope for today.