bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb
qjk wrote:

I prefer the serrations, but they are almost impossible to sharpen. You can send it back to Kershaw for a free sharpening, you just pay the shipping.

Serrated knives are actually fairly easy to sharpen.

1. Use one of these sharpening tools on the beveled side.
  2. I use a pass or two on a honing steel to remove the burr from the flat side.

bowlingb

ekarlw wrote:So I checked Amazon (FYI who also own woot!) because of all the posts and the Leeks there at this price have a 'liner lock' not the 'frame lock' offered here - frame locks on Amazon are more.

SO the question begs which type of lock is better and does the frame lock eventually fatigue at the thin machined down 'flex point' and break?

I've had one of these knives for seven or eight years as an EDC and have no issues with the frame lock. They are really a great knife but the tip is fragile so don't open paint cans with it :-).

bowlingb

yesmyok wrote:Reversible Pocketclip - Can any lefties comment on carrying/opening this?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the clip options are only for tip up or tip down carry. I don't see any mounting points on the other side of the knife where the clip position might benefit lefties.

glynis37

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glynis37

I don't need a knife, but now I'm tempted just to see if they will sell one to my zip code. Get thee behind me, woot!

aaronman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronman

Yeah this is so not a deal. Amazon prices are higher now then they were earlier - very sneaky move on amazon's part. I got this knife a couple months ago on amazon for under 35 bucks shipped. chucker move, woot/amazon.

bowlingb

schep999 wrote:What is better, frame lock or liner lock? Is this a USA or China made?

This particular model is made in the USA. Personally I prefer a frame lock because it makes for a thinner knife, but that's just me.

simoco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simoco

Damn you woot, you just made me buy a new EDC knife. My CRKT m16-01k has served me faithfully but has seen better days. Was going to jump on the kershaw skyline due to all the great reviews until I saw this beauty on Woot. After doing some serious review reading, I decided this would be a great replacement to my CRKT.

FYI straight edge is way better than partially serrated. Only buy the partially serrated if you are terrible at keeping you knife sharp. Some people believe a serrated edge stays sharper longer, when in fact you are no longer cutting but sawing, which does not require a sharp knife to do so. Look at cheap steak knives, when was the last time you sharped one of them? Yet they still cut (saw) steak just fine...

glaicius

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glaicius
yesmyok wrote:Reversible Pocketclip - Can any lefties comment on carrying/opening this?

I don't have this particular knife, so I couldn't comment how practical it would be for a lefty. I'm right handed, but I prefer to carry my knifes in my left pocket, away from my gun hand.

By looking at the pictures, seems that you'd have to flip the clip and even then you'd have to maneuver it and rotate in such way as to allow the blade to open. Not the greatest if you are considering purchasing the knife for protection. I have an OTF for that though.

I'm surprised that it doesn't come with a lefty option. I wouldn't think twice to buy one if it was so. I've never had a Ken Onion knife, so I'm still considering it.

lbueno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbueno
Is that a real NYC law? How do people Stand living there with that amount of Stupidity?

There's far more to NYC than being able to carry a pocket knife.

robspan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages robspan

I'm lefthanded. I have another Kershaw knife with the same setup on the clip. If you reverse the clip - mine takes a torx T6 - and put it at the top of your pocket, it comes out pretty quickly.

beautybark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beautybark
xenukzk wrote:I have the plain edge version, as well as 3 others from the Ken Onion series (the Chive, the Scallion, and the Shallot--hey, when your last name is Onion, you go with it). They're great knives. Very well-made, and *very* sharp.

Two of my knives have a rainbow titanium finish, the others (including my Leek) are this matte black.

I recently broke the tip off my Leek--just a couple millimeters off the thinnest part of the blade, doing something I shouldn't have--so this is perfect.

Replacement blade through Kershaw is only $10 plus your cost to ship it to them. Another testament to their quality & customer service.

Ah, I see you've already been told.

ME and my sparrow

alliemda

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alliemda
res0zd1a wrote:Kershaw will replace the blade fre of charge, just pay shipping.

That's not free.

rfonewatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rfonewatt

EXCELLENT knife like most all of the Ken Onion designed Kershaw's.

Absolutely nothing special when it comes to the price though...

..like pretty much everything else on Woot/Amazon! these days.

-RF

kenbjorkii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenbjorkii

I've had the Silver version of this knife for many years. Best pocket knife you can get. Perfect size, quick open, stays sharp, and is beautifully designed by the Man- Ken Onion. Highly recommend this knife, get it with serrated edge for cutting things that require that. It's too bad this is not a "Woot " price, as it can be purchased for this price elsewhere. Wish it was priced better, I would love to buy at least one more!!!!

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999
lbueno wrote:There's far more to NYC than being able to carry a pocket knife.

What about living like a free man in the first capital of our country? Did Doomberg screw up everybody's desire to live free?

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Nice.
The Leek Composite Blade is my everyday carry knife. Model 1660CB.

The Leek is a GREAT knife!

JSEason

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JSEason

viol8tion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viol8tion

I've owned a leek for 6 years now and was bummed when I busted the tip by doing something woot worthy, but I improvised and turned it into a tanto blade. Totally stoked to be waiting for a new and shiny one. This was not really a stellar deal but the price was fair and the product is EXCELLENT. WOOT!

troyalg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troyalg

I just received my knife and it looks nice. Only problem is, I need a knife to open my knife.

jwiv

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jwiv
troyalg wrote:I just received my knife and it looks nice. Only problem is, I need a knife to open my knife.

I just got mine as well. It was a bit stiff to get opened at first, but after the first 2-3 times, it's opening with no issues at all.

mmyers46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmyers46
res0zd1a wrote:Kershaw will replace the blade fre of charge, just pay shipping.

If you broke it "doing something you shouldn't", it's not covered under warranty, but even if it's not, they'll replace the blade for $10.

jeffs110

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffs110

Got 3 of these for the family - everyone's happy.

troyalg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troyalg

I've had this knife for about 4 months (purchased here on Woot). I'd have to say that I'm happy with the knife overall: it's easy to use, sharp, light, and pocket ready. I purchased the black matte and it is incredibly discolored, which is disappointing, but not too upsetting. However, the Tip-Lock slider, which can be set to keep the blade from opening, has broken off. I don't even know how that happens. I suppose it was just a precautionary lock, since the blade needs a fair amount of force to open, but I really liked having that extra "safety".