wiscjack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiscjack

I have cable that uses an scrambled signal. Will this work?

acraigl

quality posts: 37 Private Messages acraigl

I have a ceton equivalent (6-tuner, tho) and it's great. I've had Silicon Dust products in the past and they are a great company with really excellent support.

I would not hesitate purchasing this at this price if I did not already have something similar.

I'm a Comcast customer as well, and I get charged $1.50/month for the cable card. Easy to get and to pair with the device. One call, 5min, simple.

wheelgot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheelgot

Anyone know if this works with ROKU?

sirjonsnow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirjonsnow
wiscjack wrote:I have cable that uses an scrambled signal. Will this work?

That's what the CableCard is for.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
colebeck wrote:I have the Prime (and another SiliconDust unit) and it is great for HTPC. It works well with Windows Media Player as well as XMBC.
However, I have never been able to get mine to share the streams over WiFi with other HTPC running Media Center which really irritates me. Works fine with the HDHR's own TV-watching software (QuickTV), but Media Center won't pick up the stream over WiFi for some reason.
Aside from that I definitely recommend this for people looking to ditch cable box and go toward an HTPC set-up. Another thing to note if you are considering that, you can kiss your On-Demand stuff goodbye because it won't work through an HTPC set-up, only cable boxes.

It will work I use it on several mediacenters (via WiFi) in my house. Make sure you do ALL the steps- except 8 is optional with the Zap2it Website (I didn't need that). You need a decent router and a healthy wifi for this to work right. You right about the on-demand, it won't work because it needs 2 way communication for that, the cable cards don't provide that yet.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Scooter32401

This is plugged into your router. You then associate the tuners with Windows Media Center on a PC. You can associate one, two, or three tuners to one PC, or one tuner to three PCs if you're feeling froggy. You can download a program called TunerSalad that removes the four tuner Media Center restriction and run twelve of these (up to 64 tuners) if you're so inclined. I have two HDHomeRuns running six tuners (two cablecards).

You can then watch live/recorded TV on your computer. If you want to watch it on your TV or home theater, you can either run the PC's HDMI to your living room TV or through your receiver. You can also use an XBox360 as a media extender and watch it over the network through that. This is what I do, I have three XBox's throughout the house for this purpose.

Link3220 wrote:Ok I'm still VERY confused... I seem to be reading that this should be hard wired to your router. Then you sync it with Media Center or a similar program? Does it also have to be hard wired to your tv, if it's not a smart tv? Or does it somehow send a signal through the cable to each tv? Do you access which channels to watch and record through this box (no remote with it so I guess no), through your pc, or directly on your tv with your tv remote? I only have two tvs I'd need this to work on, but neither are "smart" ( no wifi capable). Lots of questions still, I know. Thanks for any clarification.

thomas998

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thomas998
colebeck wrote:I have the Prime (and another SiliconDust unit) and it is great for HTPC. It works well with Windows Media Player as well as XMBC.
However, I have never been able to get mine to share the streams over WiFi with other HTPC running Media Center which really irritates me. Works fine with the HDHR's own TV-watching software (QuickTV), but Media Center won't pick up the stream over WiFi for some reason.
Aside from that I definitely recommend this for people looking to ditch cable box and go toward an HTPC set-up. Another thing to note if you are considering that, you can kiss your On-Demand stuff goodbye because it won't work through an HTPC set-up, only cable boxes.

You need to use an extender like an Xbox to do what you are trying to do. But you also will be better off if it is a Ethernet and not wifi. Otherwise you will need a very good signal.

gak0090

bryaninphx wrote:Comcast is very inconsistent with CableCARD fees, and outlet fees from market to market.

Most providers are ~$2/mo,
but an Addt'l Outlet or Digital fee may also be applied, but the same fee should also be applied to their own STB if they do.

Verizon FiOS is now $4.99/mo

You are exactly correct about the cablecard fees they do vary per market. In addition, the 2nd cablecard cost me more than the 1st to rent (it was like 5.99). I hate Comcast but they are a necessary evil for what I want. Their pricing is horrible and they are a huge monopoly that needs broken up.

thomas998

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thomas998
acraigl wrote:I have a ceton equivalent (6-tuner, tho) and it's great. I've had Silicon Dust products in the past and they are a great company with really excellent support.

I would not hesitate purchasing this at this price if I did not already have something similar.

I'm a Comcast customer as well, and I get charged $1.50/month for the cable card. Easy to get and to pair with the device. One call, 5min, simple.

Your lucky. I have this unit and a ceton. The silicon dust is perfectly stable, the ceton has been a pain with repairing of the cable card on a near weekly basis. I'm tempted to buy this bad boy and sell ceton on eBay. Wouldn't be as many tuners as the ceton but at least it would be stable.

KevOKC

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KevOKC
steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

EDIT: Personal note

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

I rent a cable card for about $3 from Cox for my Tivo. before I was paying close to $15 a month well worth it. My older Tivo need tro cards ans it was Bit over $6. saving money is great, cable cost to darn much any way.

dcurwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcurwin

WOOT! After waiting several months for a decent sale price, I jumped in 3 weeks ago and bought an HDHR Prime from the big "A" for $115!

$80 for a new one is a steal for a great device.

I'm using mine on Time Warner. $2.50 per month for the cable card. Getting the cable card and digital tuning adapter from TWC was a nightmare but they do have an excellent cablecard support line to help get everything set up.

My HDHR is connected to a Win8 PC using Media Center as a PVR, then using PLEX to deliver the content to several ROKU's around the house. This works fine for all non-copy once protected channels. Unfortunatly, TWC copy protects all but the OTA channels. Those channels can only be viewed on the PC or via a Media Center extender such as XBOX 360, as discussed.

But for my needs, I was able to eliminate "whole house" DVR service and a cable box for a savings of $20+ per month.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken
steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

EDIT: Personal note

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

It varies by "franchise" (read market), but I do not pay anything for my cablecard in my HDHomeRun Prime. In fact, they pay ME $2.50 for customer owned equipment. Once you can get them to honor that (it is clearly listed on the rate sheet they send at least once a year), and get it set up properly, you are good to go.

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
macccman wrote:I assume this won't work with iOS since it only mentioned PC and Android. Right?

There is a third-party iOS app called InstaTV Pro that works for non-copy-protected channels. An in-house app is in development.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

steveken

colebeck wrote:However, I have never been able to get mine to share the streams over WiFi with other HTPC running Media Center which really irritates me. Works fine with the HDHR's own TV-watching software (QuickTV), but Media Center won't pick up the stream over WiFi for some reason.

It is something with your network then. Most likely the speed at which your WiFi devices connect to your router. I have several WiFi devices that can stream HD video from this no problem at all.

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
wheelgot wrote:Anyone know if this works with ROKU?

Not directly. Roku hardware does not support the audio and video formats used for broadcast/cable TV. There is a program called HDHRFling that uses a PC to convert video into a format that works for Roku (also works for Android, iOS, and other web browsers). As with most software that isn't WMC, it is limited to non-copy-protected channels.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

steveken

Silicondust wrote:Typically on Comcast the first device (card or box) on an account is free, and additional cards are around $1.50-2.00. Some areas may charge an extra outlet fee. Either way, it is required to be less than the cost of a normal box because FCC rules require that providers differentiate between the cost of a card and the cost of whatever the card goes in. If you use your own device, they accomplish this via a customer-owned device discount. Good resource on the subject is the FCC's website https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights.

On Comcast, the first card in each device is free. Meaning, if you have a TiVo that takes one card, that card is free. If you have a TiVo that takes two cards, the first is free, the second is $1.50. If you have three SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime units, the card that goes into each devices is free. I have two TiVo's and one HDHomeRun Prime in my house. All three cablecards are free and they pay me $2.50 PER DEVICE every month for a customer owned equipment credit.

steveken

kjg wrote:Comcast charges me $1.50 for the extra cable card, and it was no hassle getting one from them.

Then you are getting ripped off. The cablecard that goes in this unit is supposed to be FREE. You need to re-read your rate sheet.

steveken

Silicondust wrote:Just in case it wasn't clear from the specs, HDHomeRun PRIME is designed solely for use with digital cable systems. This includes providers such as Comcast, TWC, Cox, Charter, Cablevision, Brighthouse, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and FiOS (both Verizon and Frontier). It will not work with an antenna, IPTV services such as AT&T U-verse or Google Fiber, or satellite services such as DirecTV or Dish Network.

My HDHomeRun Prime will work with OTA Digital Signals. Not sure where you are getting your information.

steveken

Tom84 wrote:So will it work with someone who has cable but not a cablebox/cablecard? I get a few digital channels too (local HD and the music channels).

Also, DLNA? Does that mean it will work with, for example, a smart tv like the Samsung ones which support playing from DLNA?

No, it will NOT do ClearQAM like your TV does. (On a separate note, 99% of cable systems are doing away with the ability to get digital channels in the clear and forcing you to have a box. To meet FCC regulations, they will supply 1 DTA (digital television adapter) free of charge to certain rate plans to provide access to local channels only.)

Yes, if your TV is capable of network access and able to transcode the signal from the HDHomeRun Prime, you are ok. I know you can most definitely do it with a PS3 and several other DLNA products like VLC.

snowtao

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snowtao

Yeah, but can you use it with a Roku box?!

I'm sorry but all-y'all make the most amazing assumptions about what some semi-techie-person is able to understand! Do I need a wireless network in the house to send the TV signal down to the TV in the basement? Does this only play in a computer screen or an plain-old TV via a Roku box)? Or do I need an Xbox or WMC-computer near that TV to catch the signal and then play it on that TV? Does this box sit near the router or near the TV?

Right now, I use the Roku to play downloaded stuff off an external hard drive, which involves converting the stuff (usually YouTube documentaries) to "Apple format" (?!) using Freemake.

I had to cut the cable (box) to that TV, and the the one in the living room -- Comcast is WAY too expensive! Only the cable box (DVR) in the computer room still has cable. Will this thing let me 'play' my cable TV on the plain-old TV downstairs?

VERY confused! Help please!?

p.s., Oh, thanks (I guess) Silicondust; so my Roku box won't play-nice with this thing... {sigh}

steveken

Powerslave wrote:Yeah, it says you don't have to use a Cable Box, but you STILL have to pay for their cable CARD! They're as much as a cable box now, because of stuff like this. Cable Cards usd to be $2.99 a month, well, they're NOT anymore, so this is no deal by any definition of the term DEAL...

You are so wrong on this it is funny. I dont' know what cable company you have, but Comcast does NOT charge for cablecards. You get the first one in each device you own for free.

THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING PRICE FOR A GREAT DEVICE!!!!

teedo757

quality posts: 5 Private Messages teedo757

Ok I understand the concept of the device but just a little confused on a few of the details.

I have comcast (fully encrypted in my location as well- Michigan)

With this device do I need to pay a seperate fee to enable the cable card to receive more then one stream. Normally they charge you additional fees for every additional TV you add to the service.

Also is there a decent box (like a roku) that I can add to additional TV's in my house instead of a gaming system or computer?

My ideal setup would be 3 tv's able to access TV.

steveken

Link3220 wrote:Ok I'm still VERY confused... I seem to be reading that this should be hard wired to your router. Then you sync it with Media Center or a similar program? Does it also have to be hard wired to your tv, if it's not a smart tv? Or does it somehow send a signal through the cable to each tv? Do you access which channels to watch and record through this box (no remote with it so I guess no), through your pc, or directly on your tv with your tv remote? I only have two tvs I'd need this to work on, but neither are "smart" ( no wifi capable). Lots of questions still, I know. Thanks for any clarification.

I'll try to help. You connect it to your router like another computer. These types of devices are meant to work over your home network with things like Media Center computers or other devices like a PS3 that can access DLNA content. A Media Center computer is (most often) a computer with Windows 7 or 8 that also has "Windows Media Center" on it. (a separate fee in Windows 8) This unit does NOT connect to your TV like a regular cable box does. There is software you load onto your computer from SiliconDust that installs the necessary stuff for it to see the device hooked up to the network. Then Windows Media Center has a separate setup that you run through so it can work with a cablecard device like this. It is real simple. It is a bit hard to explain, but it is mostly meant for people who have a computer hooked to their TV for use as a DVR. Windows Media Center does all the tuning and recording and all that for you. You just use it instead of a crappy box from the cable company. They are much better and provide you with a LOT more expandability and usefulness than any cable company box.

I doubt I helped much. Maybe if you have further questions, you can specifically address each one. I might be able to clarify further if I get a chance.

steveken

basstronics wrote:I have this unit with Time Warner Cable.

The cable companies have a "Cable Card help desk" that is totally seperate from the normal tech desk. They know exactly what they are doing in extreme detail. Im in Ohio and the Cable Card Help Desk I talked with was in New York.

You will need the cable card ($2.50/month for me) and you will need a converter box (free). This box passes the cable thru before heading to the Prime unit. Then a USB cable goes to the prime unit also. This allows 2-way communication.

Setting up Windows Media Center is another thing.

Before you can be "digital cable ready" per WMC you must run the Digital Cable Advisor. This can be found under WMC/Extras/Extras Gallery/Digital Cable Adviser

Follow along. Its the ONLY way to be able to fully use WMC and get all the channels.

I can stream to XBOX360 and an older Sony media player.

This box works awesome once you get it figured out!

That is the crappy thing about TWC. They require a separate box hooked up to the Prime to do its job. With MOST cable companies, all you need is this one box because it can do two-way communications without the help of a second box.

steveken

wheelgot wrote:Anyone know if this works with ROKU?

A Roku is not a TV tuner in any way. It is merely a streaming device. It does not do TV "channels". With that said, there is one product I know of that will stream from an HDHomeRun Prime to a Roku, but it doesn't work real well.

steveken

snowtao wrote:Yeah, but can you use it with a Roku box?!

I'm sorry but all-y'all make the most amazing assumptions about what some semi-techie-person is able to understand! Do I need a wireless network in the house to send the TV signal down to the TV in the basement? Does this only play in a computer screen or an plain-old TV via a Roku box)? Or do I need an Xbox or WMC-computer near that TV to catch the signal and then play it on that TV? Does this box sit near the router or near the TV?

Right now, I use the Roku to play downloaded stuff off an external hard drive, which involves converting the stuff (usually YouTube documentaries) to "Apple format" (?!) using Freemake.

I had to cut the cable (box) to that TV, and the the one in the living room -- Comcast is WAY too expensive! Only the cable box (DVR) in the computer room still has cable. Will this thing let me 'play' my cable TV on the plain-old TV downstairs?

VERY confused! Help please!?

p.s., Oh, thanks (I guess) Silicondust; so my Roku box won't play-nice with this thing... {sigh}

You said it yourself, "Roku to play downloaded stuff off an external hard drive". The Roku is NOT a TV tuner at all. If you are converting all the stuff you download into another format, you are doing it WRONG. You need to get Plex and install the server part on your computer and point it at the directory you have all your stuff in. Then you put the client "channel" on the Roku (small fee involved now), and IT will do all the transcoding for you perfectly.

I didn't know about the HDHRFling that SiliconDust mentioned, so I can't say if it works or not. I mentioned in a previous post about how it works with computers, PS3's, and some TVs. You plug the computer (for instance) into the TV and use the computer as a DVR with WMC. It sits near the router.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I love the way y'all are helping each other understand how this works and how to set it up.

♥♥♥

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

steveken

People people people, PLEASE understand that a Roku box is NOT NOT NOT a TV tuner! All it is is a STREAMING VIDEO DEVICE. It works ONLY from content you already have on your computer or from Internet content like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, etc, etc, etc. It is NOT A TV TUNER.

If you want something like this SiliconDust HDHR Prime, you MUST have a computer or other DLNA compliant (check your product manufacturers website to see if it is) device to be able to use it.

dcurwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcurwin
steveken wrote:You said it yourself, "Roku to play downloaded stuff off an external hard drive". The Roku is NOT a TV tuner at all. If you are converting all the stuff you download into another format, you are doing it WRONG. You need to get Plex and install the server part on your computer and point it at the directory you have all your stuff in. Then you put the client "channel" on the Roku (small fee involved now), and IT will do all the transcoding for you perfectly.

I didn't know about the HDHRFling that SiliconDust mentioned, so I can't say if it works or not. I mentioned in a previous post about how it works with computers, PS3's, and some TVs. You plug the computer (for instance) into the TV and use the computer as a DVR with WMC. It sits near the router.

I tried HDHRFling and it worked fine - deliverying non-copy once protected channels to ROKU. Note that HDHRFling isn't free.

Since all my TV's are hooked up to cable and capable of tuning OTA channels using clearQAM, HDHRFling didn't add any necessary functionality.

But if I had a TV that didn't have access to cable, then HDHRFling seemed like it would work fine - but again, just for non-copy protected (OTA). channels (YMMV - not all cable companies copy protect everything the way TWC does).

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx
steveken wrote:You are so wrong on this it is funny. I dont' know what cable company you have, but Comcast does NOT charge for cablecards. You get the first one in each device you own for free.

Just Google "comcast cablecard fees", and see all the different fees people are paying in different markets, and many are paying an A/O fee of $8.50/Card
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=comcast+cablecard+fees

Comcast's own FAQ seems to support your answer, but the reality is very different.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/purchasing-a-cablecard/

ccundiff12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ccundiff12

I've been using one of these combined w/ Windows Media Center for the past 2 years. I will never go back to a cable box. The TV watching experience is far superior to that of ANY rental box, and with several xBOX(360)'s it's UVerse on steroids. Stable, Flexible & Easy. AND the cable card rental combined w/ the mid-tier digital package was an additional $2/mo.

pcgooroo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcgooroo

I've had mine for about 6 months with Comcast xfinity as my cable provider and I love it. A couple things you need to know:
1. You will need a cablecard from your television provider
2. any drm protected channels will require the use of ONLY Windows media center, you cannot descramble with anything else (Mac,Linux,etc)
3. Check with your provider on which channels are drm if you don't plan to use wmc. Luckily for me, Comcast only drms very select channels suck as premium movie channels and a couple oddball regular channels such as oxygen network, mtv, and a few others.

jondub81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jondub81

Does this work with a splitter??

proliance

quality posts: 2 Private Messages proliance
steveken wrote:You are so wrong on this it is funny. I dont' know what cable company you have, but Comcast does NOT charge for cablecards. You get the first one in each device you own for free.

Comcast Nashville charges $1.50 for a cable card. It is listed as "additional outlet svc" on the bill.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

Nice device but with TIVO, this device, FreeNas w/video capture cards, there just isn't an easy standard for those who don't understand what's involved in setting up a home media system (service). I have Playon, Playlater, Mymedia (part of the Playon package), Roku's, WDMycloud drives, Neatgear NAS w/16tb of storage, Plex, Squeeze box software.. All because over the last few years, there was no ONE standard that provided the flexibility I needed for the different parts of my media puzzle. So far everything works well. Just some formating issues with different videos from the NAS to the roku's but the WiFi TV plays them well. I don't have a TIVO or this device but with my current setup, I use my PC server as a PVR and w/Playlater, I have access to non-pay channels (thanks to my cable provider who doesn't require a box just to watch basic or HD channels), I'm pretty well set.

TC1 USCG Ret

leon3357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leon3357

Ok, Some clarification please. I currently have a tv with twc dvr w/hi def channels on one tv and basic cable w/ one of their converter boxes on another tv. Neither tv is a "smart" tv. I have a PS3. Can I use the PS3 on one tv and this silicon dust on the tv with basic + a needed cable card. I currently twc triple play (cable+phone+computer). Thanks for any help.

basketcase456

quality posts: 1 Private Messages basketcase456

I have been using one of these since the first time Woot offered it 2 years ago. Before that I was using a combination of an ATI All-in-Wonder TV and an HDHomeRun single. Before that two analog tuners. I have been using HTPCs and not a cable provided DVR since 2006. It is one of the best decisions I have made. There is so much more functionality available to you on a computer for recording TV programs and usually more space. This device is great because I can record 3 programs at once, watch 1 and record 2, and even watch on 2 different devices at the same time. After they made the HDHomeRun Prime DLNA compatible, it is even better because I can stream to my tablet and other devices such as a Blu-Ray player. I'm considering ordering a second one.

Some notes that I have for some people who might be considering this:
- Comcast provides the first CableCard for free. Additional for $1.50. If you are being charged by Comcast for your first CableCard, call them. Comcast even gives me a $2.50 credit for using my own equipment rather than their set top box.
- Over Wifi, I suggest using SD channels if you have them available. It is much less pixelated and on a smaller screen, doesn't really matter as much.
- Unless you are using another device that has built in Guide features such as a HTPC running Windows MCE or XBMC or others, you will not have a guide to see upcoming programming. Meaning you will be using TVGuide online or something similar to find programming.
- You will also lose On-Demand features provided by your cable company. However, I find most of this is available online on Xfinity's website.
- I have not used the SiliconDust mobile app, but there are other apps available for free which can handle DLNA streams too.

I personally think this is a great upfront cost if you have the other items already available and willing to make those couple of sacrifices. This is $50 less than I paid for it 2 years ago and over $120 off the original MSRP.

mckinnej

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mckinnej

Another Roku question, sort of. I have a pretty simple setup. I use a plain old antenna to get OTA broadcasts and I have multiple Rokus for streaming media via Netflix, Plex, etc. I've got a network connection to each TV, but not an antenna connection.

Can I use this device to share the OTA channels to all of my TVs? (Let's keep this simple folks. I'm not interested in setting up a satellite tracking station just to watch TV. If this device will not do this, does anyone know of something that will? TIA!

gak0090

Has anyone used one of these with an android TV box. I'm not worried about how well the wifi works, because I'll have this plugged into an extender. I just want to see which android box works best with the HD homerun apps out there.

maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/K-R42-Cortex-A9-External-Ethernet-Controller/dp/B00EAGUXA2

6putt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6putt

Pretend I'm a poster child for TD (Technology Deficiency), explain to me the advantage of this over a Sling Box that can also be used outside your home network for streaming live or DVR'd programs anywhere you have internet access.