jeffwtux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffwtux

Didn't you hear? Orange is the new pink.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jeffwtux wrote:Didn't you hear? Orange is the new pink.

Heh.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ripprsoul

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ripprsoul
radi0j0hn wrote:T Mobile SUED Big Time:

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/01/t-mobile-sued-for-knowingly-adding-bogus-charges-to-your-bill/

When you sign up to activate the free 200mb/month deal, they DO NOT require that you enter any payment information, thus there's no way for T-Mobile to charge any hidden fees. The service simply works until you hit 200mb, then it stops working until the next monthly cycle (with an option to buy more data for the month, in which case they will obviously be asking you for some cc info).

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

I received mine just a couple of days ago. It was half charged right out of the box and very easy to setup/get going with my Google username and password. I did have to remember how the sim orients to get it to seat (LOL). I got it as a possible replacement for a 5 year old 10" netbook (the screen size for the price here is awesome).

My 13 year old son learned to use google docs in 4th grade so he's up on what they can do. I agree with most posters here that google docs is an able replacement for Office.

Now I just need to figure out how to tell my wife what that new computer is doing on the table when she returns from her trip today.

hentzau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hentzau

I bought one of these for my wife during last weeks sale and she absolutely loves it. On the downside, I was never able to get printing to work, but I think there may be an overall problem with my printer. (I have never been able to get the hang of printers. They seem to be my Achilles's Heel in the world of computers.)

I would absolutely recommend this as a light use web browser, media consumer, and document editor. If I had a spare $200 I would pick up another one.

ripprsoul

In regards to business/school use:

If your business or school requires that you mostly work with word documents, spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations, then a Chromebook can still serve you well. Chromebooks also support IPSec VPN connections, and there are a couple decent free RDP apps in the Chrome store if you need to remotely access a business network. Printing will work as long as you have a networked printer that can be set up in Google Cloud Print, or a stationary PC mapped to your preferred printers that can run Google's standalone Cloud Print app (allowing your Chromebook to print to any printer that the PC can print to).

From a security standpoint, it should be noted that Chromebooks cannot currently be locked or wiped remotely. Google is working on that ability, and it has popped up in some recent developer builds of Chrome OS, but is not publicly available at this time.

And obviously if your business or school uses Google Apps For Business or Google Apps For Education, then absolutely everything will work fine.

wellrested

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wellrested
atomizer wrote:I'm using this Chromebook right now, got it from the Woot sale about a week ago.

Compared to my Acer C710, which I still use and love, the HP is a bit faster but larger, and battery life is similar (the Acer has the extended batter.) They're not kidding about this thing getting ~9.5 hours; right now I'm at 82% and the estimate is roughly 8-8.5 hours remaining! The HP's larger display is very nice, and the machines have similar weight.

The free 200 MB/month 4G is nice to have as a backup, although I haven't needed to use it in the few days I've had this.

The only thing I really don't like about the HP is that the keyboard doesn't have dedicated Home/End/etc. keys; I use those a LOT, for both page scrolling and tab navigation. Also, I'd prefer the device was available in different colors; a simple black or grey would suffice.

All in all, these things are a steal at $200, even if they're not the latest ones with touch displays. If you do any amount of Web browsing, e-mail, or work with Google apps, you'll love a Chromebook. You don't have to give up your PC for running applications, but you'll appreciate the simplicity & stability ChromeOS offers.

iClear has some cases on Amazon for $15-$20, any color you could want.

SunTzuWarmaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SunTzuWarmaster
joecooool wrote:If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

I am a software developer and have used cloud-based development environments to develop software using a Samsung Chromebook (inferior to this model).

It is a different kind of computer. Essentially, it doesn't run programs. Once you get over that hurdle, your expectations become reasonable.

In exchange for "your computer cannot run programs", you get a thin/light laptop, a long battery life, online/offline document editing, presentation ability, streaming/entertainment ability, and "anything you can do on the web" capability. You get this for $200. How much is "ability to run programs" worth to you?

I use the Chromebook as a laptop replacement, and it has not replaced the hexacore computer that I use for code compilation. The most common uses are:
- stream something to TV via HDMI cable
- edit documents on the go
- general web browsing
- general social browsing (let me show you something... not on my phone)

Generally, when sitting on the couch, my fiance and I debate about who gets to use the device.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

Has anyone successfully been able to load windows on one of these chromebooks? I have seen where the mSATA can be changed out and people have put Ubuntu on it, but I can't see where any of the chromebooks have been changed to windows. Obviously it's not a simple format and load.

xxhaimbondxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxhaimbondxx
ripprsoul wrote:When you sign up to activate the free 200mb/month deal, they DO NOT require that you enter any payment information, thus there's no way for T-Mobile to charge any hidden fees. The service simply works until you hit 200mb, then it stops working until the next monthly cycle (with an option to buy more data for the month, in which case they will obviously be asking you for some cc info).

Then there is also a pending sale to Sprint. What is the meaning of "lifetime" in the corporate definition?

Let me ask this straight, is this a touchscreen?

cholla22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cholla22

Coverage map says only 2G is available in my area. Does the free internet connection still work? Chromebook only needed for infrequent (once a week) checking of email by an elderly relative.

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo
joecooool wrote:This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

It has a 16 gb memory. My iPhone has four times that.

If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

The Google I/O conference announcements (last week) have enhanced Chromebooks considerably.
(at approx. 1:40:00 into 2 1/2 hr long presentation. Chrome is presented.

njack26

quality posts: 7 Private Messages njack26
xxhaimbondxx wrote:Then there is also a pending sale to Sprint. What is the meaning of "lifetime" in the corporate definition?

Let me ask this straight, is this a touchscreen?

This is not a touchscreen.

gadzooks64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadzooks64

I'm typing this on the white HP Chromebook I bought last week - arrive on Monday!

So far I'm really impressed with this Chromebook. The keyboard is usable; I do miss the Home and End keys that somebody already mentioned but I don't use them enough for it to be a huge issue.

The screen is actually quite nice. I wish it weren't so shiny. I may try to find a matte screen protector for it. For somebody used to a 13.3" HD Zenbook I was missing some screen real estate but I settled on zooming the browser down to 75% and now it is much more usable for me. I hardly miss the 1080p.

While T-Mo signal isn't nearly as widespread as Verizon I don't really plan on using it that much. Just as an emergency backup if it is available.

I may end up giving this to my mother when her ancient HP laptop dies. It may take some getting used to on her part but I feel much better about her using a Chromebook than a Windows machine. She's horrible about doing updates and picks up the random bit of malware fairly regularly. A Chromebook would be a lot less maintenance/tech support for me.

I'm almost tempted to get another one of these. I'm sure I could sell it if it turned out that I had no use for it.

jpmessenger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpmessenger

I ordered one a week ago. Has yet to ship, otherwise I would probably be ordering another one today!

ripprsoul

xxhaimbondxx wrote:Then there is also a pending sale to Sprint. What is the meaning of "lifetime" in the corporate definition?

Theoretically, if Sprint acquired TMobile then they would also acquire their spectrum and contractual obligations.

davidahammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidahammer

Appears most of you guys got a good deal. I ordered the 2 Gb model last week and it arrived very timely but they sent me one without 4G capability. And so far I have been told by Monica in customer support that a SIM card is/was not part of the order. This despite 4G being on my order.

apalson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apalson
alextse wrote:I wonder if I could use that SIM card in another device and it would still give me 200 MB/month?

Part of activation is registering the SIM to the computer. They sure don't want you to use it elsewhere, but I doubt it would be impossible. MAC addresses aren't as set in stone as people think.

ripprsoul

jeraden wrote:How suitable are these for doing something like a remote desktop connection to a windows PC so you can run real applications on it (sort of)? Is it pretty smooth, or more frustration than it's worth?

If you're on the same network as the PC, then there are a couple of good RDP clients available in the Chrome Apps store (all free). If you're outside of the network, you can VPN into it as long as IPSec VPN is supported.

I use the RDP client on a daily basis, and I have had no issues with it at all.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-rdp/cbkkbcmdlboombapidmoeolnmdacpkch?hl=en-US

There is also Chrome Remote Desktop, which can be installed on any computer (Windows or Mac), which then allows you to remotely connect to that computer (using a PIN set by you) from wherever you are, with no need for a VPN connection.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

It was this or a returniped Surface 2. My downstairs neighbor has the Chromebook, and for $200 it's a no-brainer.

I just need it to write on mostly, so it should fit the bill perfectly. I really need something that I can actually use on my LAP, and even the Surface keyboard is wonky for that.

outfishin2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages outfishin2

Does anyone know exactly what model this is? I have been looking at the HP 14-q063cl for a few weeks and missed out on the woot for this one. Outside of the 16gb hard drive vs the 32gb drive. I wanted to compare the rest of the specs.

Also does anyone know if the apps available for the chrome OS is limited to just those on Chrome for windows?

petermares

quality posts: 1 Private Messages petermares

We use them for electronic medical record documentation at work and everyone loves them.

If you need a cheap device for employees to use web based apps, this is the way to go.

I'm also buying them for the sales team so they can use salesforce on the go.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
cholla22 wrote:Coverage map says only 2G is available in my area. Does the free internet connection still work? Chromebook only needed for infrequent (once a week) checking of email by an elderly relative.

Yes, it should work fine. (it will be slow, but it will work.

rball5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rball5

I have one from last week - it shipped REALLY fast. I bought it to replace an old samsung chromebook & couldn't be happier (I've already sold the old chromebook for $150 making my upgrade fee ~$50). Nearly everything about the HP 14 is better: it's faster, got more memory, seems to be better build quality, the keyboard is nicer, touchpad is better, screen is crisper, etc. The only downside is that it's bigger/heavier, but the screen size is also an upside... The bigger screen makes it easier to see my desktop's 1920x1080 display when using chrome's remote desktop feature.

I was even able to get ubuntu up quickly & easily (I never could get everything working with linux on the Samsung). After installing wine, I'm running my windows-based budget program (YNAB) along with drobpox for cloud syncing across devices.

TLDR; buy it!

Cammiesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cammiesan
hazyeyedhello wrote:Bought the 4GB version offered a month ago but it only came in white. Super jealous of the colors offered!!! That said, this computer is worth it if you're looking to get a Chromebook.

I bought the white one about a month ago as well. I think the only difference is ours has a 32GB SSD and this one has a 16GB SSD so I am more than ok with the fact that it cost $20 more and was limited to the white color choice.

artman8989

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artman8989

Does anyone know if the free 200mb 4g accumulates and carries over if not all used up month to month?

barkwoot

quality posts: 56 Private Messages barkwoot

HP doesn't seem to have a whole lot available on the Chromebook 14-q001xx Support Page.

Here is some Chrome OS info that might be useful.

thomasz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasz
joecooool wrote:This is a good computer for surfing the web. It isn't a laptop replacement. It has a ver small hard drive and does not run many business programs. Forget doing a power point presentation with this.

It has a 16 gb memory. My iPhone has four times that.

If all you want is a unit that can surf the net, this is ok. ANY business use is out of the question.

It depends. Your iPhone doesn't have a usb3 port, SD slot, or HDMI connector either, but those would make a big difference. 128G added on an SD card, or an 8G usb3 HD tower, or the HDMI to projector.

The iOS devices are like sports cars.
Desktops are like big rig trucks, laptops loke small trucks.
These devices aer like pickup trucks or vans or minivans (I'd add advanced tablets that have the interfaces). Often, they are enough, alone or when a desktop is available.

The biggest thing differentiating from a tablet is the keyboard, if you type a lot.

njack26

quality posts: 7 Private Messages njack26
artman8989 wrote:Does anyone know if the free 200mb 4g accumulates and carries over if not all used up month to month?

It definitely does not carry over. Each month starts a new 200 MB limit.

woodytobiasjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodytobiasjr

I bought one of these refurbs last month and am very happy with it.

It does about 90% of what I need to do on a computer, but I do still find myself boing back to my 5 year old MacBook Pro for doing more complicated of MS Word documents, Excel or if I want to download large files. I did realize Chrome won't play as many video formats as my MacBook Pro and some websites don't work right since the Chrome browser doesn't support Java.

Most all of my files were backed up in DropBox, which the ChromeOS does not support because they want you to use Google Drive, but you can still access your DropBox files through the web browser.

My refurb didn't give me the free Google Drive space, but it did give me two months free of Google Music, which is pretty darn good.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. It doesn't completely replace higher end laptops, but as a second laptop (or for a low end user like my mother-in-law), it's perfect.

IBM4VT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IBM4VT

Got mine yesterday and so far so good. Setting up the T-Mobile was easy and painless. I haven't gotten to play with it a lot but from what I've seen so far, it boots up quickly and the battery life seems good. I got as a "on the go" laptop that I can take out of town and still be able to write emails, surf the web, watch video, etc. It's not going to replace my main computer but for $200 it's great.

crashspeeder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crashspeeder
artman8989 wrote:Does anyone know if the free 200mb 4g accumulates and carries over if not all used up month to month?

You get 200MB to use for the month, but you have to remember that T-Mobile doesn't have overage charges. What they mean by "200MB of 4G a month for life" is that you get 200MB of high speed usage (4G), after which your speeds are lowered to either 3G or 2G (I've never gotten a straight answer), but they neither charge you extra nor cut you off.

woot-checker: http://woot.dswebhost.net - New item sound, picture, AJAX, mobile compatible
or check out the Text-only version - same features, no picture
or maybe you want a software app (DSWoot 1.0) to keep track of the woot-off.
List of woot!-off checkers

Kmylett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kmylett

Chrome browser on my android devices does not support adobe flash. anyone know if this does?

thehyena

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehyena

I've been using one of these since about last December after replacing a windows laptop. I am not any sort of power user but it has been a good replacement in my mind. Google docs and the Chrome OS apps have been more than adequate for me and if I'm somewhere that doesn't have wifi, well, that's what a smartphone's for. The 4g is nice but the 200mb won't serve for more than checking email. I do still have a tower running Win7 attached to my network but I really only use it for storage and to manage my ipod. Also it's not hooked up to a monitor, I access it through the remote desktop Chrome app. I say buy one, cheaper than a laptop and getting closer to the same functionality every day.

tjgriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjgriffin
ThunderThighs wrote:Didn't you hear? Orange is the new pink.

I LOVE OITNP! That show is awesome!

jf647

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jf647
alextse wrote:I wonder if I could use that SIM card in another device and it would still give me 200 MB/month?

While I can't speak for T-Mobile's specific policies, my company wrote the software that re-provisions data parameters when a SIM is moved from one device to another.

So I wouldn't pin your hopes on this working long term - if abuse was detected they have the tools to shut it down.

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek
SunTzuWarmaster wrote:I am a software developer and have used cloud-based development environments to develop software using a Samsung Chromebook (inferior to this model).

It is a different kind of computer. Essentially, it doesn't run programs. Once you get over that hurdle, your expectations become reasonable.

In exchange for "your computer cannot run programs", you get a thin/light laptop, a long battery life, online/offline document editing, presentation ability, streaming/entertainment ability, and "anything you can do on the web" capability. You get this for $200. How much is "ability to run programs" worth to you?

I use the Chromebook as a laptop replacement, and it has not replaced the hexacore computer that I use for code compilation. The most common uses are:
- stream something to TV via HDMI cable
- edit documents on the go
- general web browsing
- general social browsing (let me show you something... not on my phone)

Generally, when sitting on the couch, my fiance and I debate about who gets to use the device.

I'm a software developer as well. 22 years in my field so far. Not trying to trash these, but every company wants you to move to the cloud these days. Sure, most of it is free, you might say. But will it remain free? I have zero use for subscription fees for everything I do. I just can't imagine doing my job that way, nor living everyday life paying a subscription fee to host my Office documents, paying another one to host my software development tools. It all sounds cheap (or free!) right now, but give it time to get ingrained in our society and there will be fees.

aggiejd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aggiejd

These being refurbished, I would definitely recommend NOT BUYING. I used to think Woot was a great place to buy discounted electronics and high quality refurbished goods, but I truly am regretting it now. I just bought a 50" TV for several hundred dollars from woot. It arrived DoA. I've sent about 4 messages to Woot and customer service, both from "contact us" and "support" and email addresses that turned up after internet searching for contacts. I have yet to hear a single word back from Woot. They are not willing to talk to their customers anymore. Don't believe me? Their forums are full of people saying the same things these days. There is no phone number to call for support. They shut down their email contacts (support@woot.com and rma@woot.com) so the ONLY way to contact them now is via the website - which they clearly ignore.

Save yourself a huge hassle. Buy somewhere else.

DinoBambino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DinoBambino

Does the 200mb of free 4G include Canada as part of the coverage area?

Thanks.

tsunamikitsune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsunamikitsune
crashspeeder wrote:You get 200MB to use for the month, but you have to remember that T-Mobile doesn't have overage charges. What they mean by "200MB of 4G a month for life" is that you get 200MB of high speed usage (4G), after which your speeds are lowered to either 3G or 2G (I've never gotten a straight answer), but they neither charge you extra nor cut you off.

So wait, does that mean this thing effectively has unlimited 3G/2G? That's kind of a huge detail if it's true.