digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303
bwallin84 wrote:I have a 10 year old and (almost) 8 year old and they won't know the difference other than the name on it. My kids don't have ipods or ipads. I just bought my 10 year old his first phone and its a tracphone. Not all kids have all the amenities that some might think is necessary. My 10 year old got an mp3 player from WALMART for his birthday and he loved it. Wasn't touch screen or anything. My kids aren't spoiled and they appreciate things like this.

Agreed. I gave my 4 1/2 YO son my old Sansa Clip+ and one of those cheap Target speaker docks and he loves it. He can't read yet, so we just have it on shuffle, but you can load up more music than I'd ever care to on a 4 gig chip. And they are quite tough.
I would definitely pass on this sale for all the reasons previously mentioned. Just wait for one of the more reputable makes to show up on woot (it only takes a couple of weeks usually). Or, as noted, buy a used Android Cell phone and a micro sd card. I have a Virgin Mobile Optimus V that would work great for that (plus camera, video, games, wifi etc. You can usually pick up these phones on CL for not much more than this junk...

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
digitalis303 wrote:Agreed. I gave my 4 1/2 YO son my old Sansa Clip+ and one of those cheap Target speaker docks and he loves it. He can't read yet, so we just have it on shuffle, but you can load up more music than I'd ever care to on a 4 gig chip. And they are quite tough.
I would definitely pass on this sale for all the reasons previously mentioned. Just wait for one of the more reputable makes to show up on woot (it only takes a couple of weeks usually). Or, as noted, buy a used Android Cell phone and a micro sd card. I have a Virgin Mobile Optimus V that would work great for that (plus camera, video, games, wifi etc. You can usually pick up these phones on CL for not much more than this junk...

Put the phone in Airplane mode and Turn on wifi (if needed), you'll save battery and reduce exposure to excess radiation. I have converted 4 used Evo's into really nice media players, skype, texting, pictures, video,email- you can do a ton of stuff with a used smart phone.

Goomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Goomer

Great for talking books. I can get many hours of books on an identical player. I use a earbud with one side cut off, so it only "talks" into my right ear as I drive. Get in the car, plug it into the USB charger, it turns itself on and away I go. Makes long drives and commutes lots easier to take. Just ordered 2 as gifts. Been working fine for a couple years.

Maxmano356

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Maxmano356

Can I use this on my MAC?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
Maxmano356 wrote:Can I use this on my MAC?

Itunes will perceive it as a virus and make it self destruct.

Rozie13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Rozie13

So most people are saying these are crap.. but this seems to be UNIQUE crap.

Seriously, can you suggest another touch screen mp3 player with a complete inability to use the internet that is even close to this price point?

emeister

quality posts: 19 Private Messages emeister

how's the voice recording on this? can compare to sansa clip+?

jpoolerdom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpoolerdom
playmore222 wrote:I have never had an mp3 player. If I were to get this what accessories would i need to buy to play the songs in my car? Could I just take this You seem to be interested in this so I thought you would know. I am a grandmother and have always wanted to use mp3 over cd,s . thanks

Just get a Sansa Clip+ or a Sansa Fuze. The refurbs on newegg aren't much more than this, and they're quality products. I have had both, as refurbs, and been very happy with them.

iseeonlyoneitem

lulalullah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lulalullah
Kharmakazy wrote:Meh. You can get an older model android phone for that price with much better battery life and way more features.

Would you have some models to recommend? I tried to do a search on eBay but could not get something at this price range. Thanks.

chaospearl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaospearl

I was almost in for one to replace my Sansa Clip+, because the confusing menu and inability to delete categories drives me nuts. Then I saw "up to 4 hours of continuous battery life!" Um, what? UP TO 4 hours means about 3 and a half if you get lucky, otherwise 3. I don't think so. I use the Sansa to play relaxing music at night and if I turn it on at bedtime it'll still be playing the next morning. 3 hours is a joke, even if I could get one of these for free I'd never use it.

chaospearl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaospearl
Wodinn wrote:I've gone through probably... 4?... Clips in about as many years. Not their fault, as I beat the living daylights out of them, but they can be killed.

My original Sansa (yes, from woot) survived being dunked in the pool, having a full carton of orange juice spilled all over it, and an accidental trip through the dryer on fluff. It finally took a 4 month Boxer puppy to kill it past all hope of resurrection.

triplebud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplebud

$20 is $20. Save your money for something better.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Maxmano356 wrote:Can I use this on my MAC?

With some double-sided tape, it will sit on your Mac just fine.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Avarik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Avarik

Looks like this thing comes with some PREMIUM QUALITY earbuds.

madler718

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madler718

I have what looks to be the exact same player, which I bought about 4 years ago for $50. Made by Visual-Land. Worked fairly well and still works OK today, although the home screen is all frazzled so have to go by memory to switch between radio, mp3s, video etc. Video was passable (I converted to avi format and didn't have many problems), mp3s sounded fine, radio was OK, camera and video were best suited for kids. Touch sensitivity was, ahem, lacking. Like the physical buttons though, which could be used to move around the home page. Not the worst thing for little kids, esp at this price point.

compmikey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compmikey

Does anyone know if this thing can play music while it's permanently connected to a charger via the mini usb plug? I need some loopy music for the phone system hold button at work. TIA

tbrat71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrat71

Can u send and receive text messages on this mp4?

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

They still sell mp3's today. Why? I thought phones replaced these things?

I read some folks said they wouldn't mind having one for the car. Does your phone not play music when in a car?

I have about 4gb of songs on my optimus for when I am off the grid and stream the other 90% of the time off of rhapsody. My optimus ran me $100 and my plan is $25/month, unlimited 3G.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
Wodinn wrote:I've gone through probably... 4?... Clips in about as many years. Not their fault, as I beat the living daylights out of them, but they can be killed. Still, those and the Phillips GoGear Spark, also from Woot and surprisingly good, are fantastic players for the price. In for two next time either those show up, but this is a pass.

I used to love my Sansa. I think it was a e260 something? It was a bullet proof workhorse with a mechanical turn wheel and I loved it. I think it is a drawer in my tool room somewhere. Probably would still work too even with its crack out plexigass case. They could take a licking and keep on ticking. Not like my kids zune that died after 6 months.

Trishlovesdolphins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trishlovesdolphins
ThunderThighs wrote:Not bad for your kiddo to use as a phone instead of yours either.

I really like that idea. My 3 year old loves my iphone. This looks enough like one it might buy me a few days of peace! lol

I survived the great battery woot off of 4/1/08

gelutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gelutz
lichme wrote:Its cheap enough that I wouldnt care if I forgot it on a bus.

The exact reason I wld buy one if not two for my kids. Get them off my phone and delete the downloaded games and if they drop it or lose it, it is all good. Will this item be able to download small easy games?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
auctionsaver wrote:
I read some folks said they wouldn't mind having one for the car. Does your phone not play music when in a car?

... Mine doesn't. I had three songs synched to my phone, and one of them was an mp3 that it wouldn't play as a ringtone (that I had initially downloaded to BE my ringtone) so I eventually just scrubbed them all. My phone is a phone. It's occasionally a bad camera, but that's about it.

lactoselactose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lactoselactose
billrhea wrote:Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

hey the jerk store called...

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless
jjeff wrote:I have this exact player(or mine looked exactly the same). It was purchases ~y2k and it was my first MP3(never understood the whole MP4 thing....) player.

You bought an iPod Touch clone 13 years ago? Did you, by chance, mean 2010, or are you the ultimate hipster? ;)

TheEndless

bjbrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjbrady

Do not buy it. Does not work. Touch screen does not work, cannot go back to main menu, locks up.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bjbrady wrote:Do not buy it. Does not work. Touch screen does not work, cannot go back to main menu, locks up.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your order.

Please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have about your purchase.

canino98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canino98

First bad experience with Woot. , this thing a piece of crap. Doesn't play any video, to adjust the volume is a nightmare, unresponsive. Full frustration. I have wanted to call my credit card and say I was scammed

ThunderThighs

Staff

canino98 wrote:First bad experience with Woot. , this thing a piece of crap. Doesn't play any video, to adjust the volume is a nightmare, unresponsive. Full frustration. I have wanted to call my credit card and say I was scammed

Sorry for the frustration. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

riklong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riklong

Just stop working after one day !!!
Can't cherge it !!!

pennfree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennfree

I think it sucks

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

This thing would be a challenge for MENSA minds let alone my poor feeble bran. It's the least intuitive gui I've ever seen. I've managed to sync music to the device but that's only the beginning of the journey. You have to figure out how to actually get it to play...and if you do,good luck trying to stop it and get back to the main screen. I'd love to see the vendor jump in and explain what they we're thinking when they designed this monstrosity!Perfect item if Woot decides to bring back the Bunch of 60s Cartoons

stacyheydon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacyheydon

Really wish I had read the reviews before I bought this piece of junk.

davet319

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davet319
stacyheydon wrote:Really wish I had read the reviews before I bought this piece of junk.

Me too.

mshetley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshetley

I got mine, I charged it like the directions said, I uploaded my tunes, and it played about two songs and stopped working. It will not turn on or register on the computer. it was not exposed to heat, water, or rough elements. I just stopped working. It says 90 day warranty, do I send it to woot or the manufacturer?

mshetley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshetley
riklong wrote:Just stop working after one day !!!
Can't cherge it !!!

Mine too, not even a full day.

ThunderThighs

Staff

mshetley wrote:I got mine, I charged it like the directions said, I uploaded my tunes, and it played about two songs and stopped working. It will not turn on or register on the computer. it was not exposed to heat, water, or rough elements. I just stopped working. It says 90 day warranty, do I send it to woot or the manufacturer?

Ugh, sorry about that. Email support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR

cornellpcc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cornellpcc

Bought three of these for my grand kids. They were so excited and thought they were cool...until my techie son in law couldn't get any of them to work or hold a charge. Trying to return. Very disappointed! Any with similar problem?

ellehcem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellehcem

This proves the point you get what you paid for. Going to send it to my 5 yr old grandchild and if she breaks it or loses it...oh well. Can't believe the amount stated as retail was true. If I saw this in the store I wouldn't pay more than $5. :0(

ThunderThighs

Staff

cornellpcc wrote:Bought three of these for my grand kids. They were so excited and thought they were cool...until my techie son in law couldn't get any of them to work or hold a charge. Trying to return. Very disappointed! Any with similar problem?

Sorry for the problem. One thing to note, many electronics require a full 24 hour charge for the first charge. If that still doesn't work, email support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR

globalron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages globalron

If I were double jointed I would kick my own ars for paying $24.00 for a questionable dollar store item. Aaaaaagrgghhh^#$@#%&*^*&!!!!!!!